The Manchester Title Race

cITY have been bottling it for a few games now. The pressure is on them more than Arsenal.

We could do with Chelsea, Spuds & Newcastle all winning this weekend to really make Arsenal go for the victory.

I think it'll be a draw and I'd settle for that 100%

Considering their recent run their confidence should be pretty high even taking 2-1 loss at QPR into consideration.

City are bound to turn their away form around sometime.. It wont be easy, but I wouldnt be surprised if they won... comfortably.
Did you watch Arsenal's defenders when they were under pressure. City can be a physical side.
Arse will get bossed. They are good against sides that let them play. City wont.

I really can't see Arsenal getting anything out of the game to be honest. Arsenal, Spurs and the scousers are the three teams you can never rely on for anything, generally. We're in as dominant a position as we could have ever hoped to be now though.

cITY have been bottling it for a few games now. The pressure is on them more than Arsenal.

We could do with Chelsea, Spuds & Newcastle all winning this weekend to really make Arsenal go for the victory.

I think it'll be a draw and I'd settle for that 100%

Yeah, but Arsenal are the ultimate bottlers. Doesn't really matter what is at stake for them, they will bottle it every time.

Some very good points made here.

http://www.football365.com/faves/7648284/F365-Focus

Football365 said:
Five Reasons Why City Have Lost The Plot
While Man United march on, City's title challenge has been falling apart. Is it Roberto Mancini's fault for over-working his players or just the curse of City being City?

Over-working their creative players
One of the most noticeable elements of City's recent below-par performances has been the lethargy of David Silva. From the man who probed and effortlessly picked holes in defences up and down the land in the first half of the season, he has looked lethargic and aimless in recent months. He hasn't scored a league goal since December, and hasn't provided an assist since January. And it's hardly a surprise that he's knackered - no City outfield player has played more times than Silva (27 starts) this season, but he's not alone. Yaya Toure is next on the list despite missing a month while at the Africa Cup of Nations, while Sergio Aguero has also arguably been overloaded. By comparison, Wayne Rooney has started 24 games, Nani 22, Antonio Valencia just 15. Some of that has been down to injuries, but it's also due to better squad management.

At the other end of the scale, Adam Johnson has made just ten starts, James Milner 16, even Mario Balotelli only 13. This points to a couple of things - firstly, that City are over-reliant on certain players for their attacking needs, and that even with their riches they do not necessarily trust the second string. The second point is that Mancini just hasn't managed his resources well enough - was there any need, for example, for Silva to play all of their game at Wolves in October? Or Norwich in December? A little rest here and there would do wonders for him - wonders that would reap rewards at this crucial stage of the season.

That away form
Ever since the highly entertaining if nervy 3-2 win at QPR in November, City have been rather troubled travellers. The nine games they've played on the road since have only produced two wins - the 1-0 thrashings of Aston Villa and Wigan - while they have lost to Sunderland and Swansea, and drawn at Stoke and West Brom. Until last weekend, their home form continued merrily along (and even now they've still only dropped two points at the Etihad), masking their travelling problems. It's possible that Mancini, scared by the QPR near-result, has asked his team to play in a more cautious manner than the side that swashed and buckled their way to five at Spurs and six at Old Trafford. That caution has backfired.

Certainly against Sunderland, the deployment of a midfield trio of Nigel de Jong, Gareth Barry and Yaya Toure suggested a return to the dull old safety-first days of last season, and the trick was repeated at Swansea (complete with Sergio Aguero on the bench again) with the same outcome. What was it Einstein said about the definition of madness being doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Inactivity in January
"There are players that could be good for us but every time we want to buy a player their clubs ask for lots of money," said Mancini in December, as reports suggested that the Italian ideally wanted a centre-half, central midfielder and striker in January but had been told that he must sell before he can buy. Had that money been spent - specifically on any centre-half that did not go under the name of Stefan Savic - then we might now be looking at a genuine title race.

You could argue that the problem was of Mancini's own making - he had a generous budget last summer and chose to bring in Savic rather than an established centre-half and to give wages to Owen Hargreaves after an impressive fitness video, but he could not have predicted Carlos Tevez's brain fade (even if some thought it was simply a matter of time) and it was those holding the purse strings who decided not to meet asking prices inflated by their own summer largesse when winter came around.

Without significant re-inforcements (the under-used David Pizarro aside), City crashed out of two competitions in the absence of Vincent Kompany and began to falter in the Premier League, with Savic covering himself in just about everything but glory at Swansea as City keenly felt the absence of Kompany and Joleon Lescott. After that game, even keeping Nedum Onuoha would have seemed a more sensible option than trusting the Montenigrin. Hell, even Sotirios Kyrgiakos could have come in for nothing.

Mancini 'cracking up'
'Is Mancini calm enough for a title challenge?' was the question posed by F365's Philip Cornwall in January after a sequence of events that saw Mancini engaging in (and losing) a verbal battle with Steven Gerrard and then waving an imaginary card at Maynor Figueroa during a scratchy 1-0 win at Wigan. After months of appearing bulletproof, Mancini suddenly looked vulnerable.

That notion gained momentum as Mancini u-turned on Tevez just as Edin Dzeko was losing his form, publicly blamed himself for defeats against Everton and Sporting Lisbon and then flip-flopped and blamed the players for results against Swansea and Sunderland. Meanwhile, there's weekly talk of 'mutiny' from players disillusioned by his reportedly 'abrasive' managerial style - just when some might need an arm around the shoulder, that arm may only be available to a select few. With every passing week, Mancini looks less and less like the urbane Italian who made striped scarves cool again.

City are just being City
There's a certain fatalism that comes with being a City fan. A certainty that, no matter how good things look right now, it's all going to go wrong soon. And not just go wrong - go wrong in quite spectacular fashion. That sort of thing doesn't wash away just because you spend a lot of money, you know.

For those who are getting ahead of themselves in this thread, here are some words of wisdome from Rio...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17630458

Rio Ferdinand believes the strength of Manchester City and the improvement of the quality of teams in the league means that leaders Manchester United face a tough battle to win the title.

United, five points ahead of City, play QPR on Sunday before facing Aston Villa and Wigan, with all three struggling.

"City raised the bar and had a great run - we had to keep up with that," the defender told BBC Radio Manchester .

"Teams in the league can beat anyone. It's more of a level playing field."
He added: "Last week, Newcastle defeated Liverpool convincingly - you wouldn't have said that a year ago. If you're not on your game you will be defeated.

"Teams that have come up like Swansea have posed more questions.
"Others from the top to the bottom have improved. Some of them are now are playing open, expansive football at the big grounds.

"In the past, teams sat back expecting they might get a chance on a set-piece. Those like West Brom have come to Old Trafford, opened up and asked questions."

United will be hot favourites to win their next three league fixtures, but the veteran says the encounters will not be easy.

"QPR have got players who can be potential match winners," continued the 33-year-old England centre-back.

"Everyone is saying our run-in looks easier, but we've got to play our next three games against teams fighting to stay in the Premier League.

"We're in a position where we'd like to be at this stage of the season, but it's not over.

"There are a lot of games to be played before the trophy's handed out. We have to apply ourselves in the right way before each match. Hopefully if we do that then we'll lift the trophy.

"You can have a great run and then suffer a dip in form. Our minds are on winning each game and not thinking beyond that.

"I know it's a cliche and it's boring, but that's just the way it is. The next game is the most important. We have to keep ticking off boxes by winning the games."

I think our next 3 games are our 'crunch' period tbh. 3 games in 8 days - SAF has to juggle fitness, endurance and rotation whilst attempting to gain maximum points.

It's reasonable to say that there is no-one you would rather have to steer us through the compromises than SAF - but it still won't be easy.

By Mon week we will either have let City back in or almost finished them off - I hope it's the latter - and I think we have a good chance to do it.

Wigan away will be tough, I know we've won every single game against them since their promotion and barely conceded any goals while scoring plenty but there were some tough encounters. I remember how we won 2-1 at JJB after last minute own goal from Chimbonda, also a 2-1 in the run-in not so long ago after late winner from Carrick or something.

That chimbonda OG was 3 days after we beat them in the League Cup.

We also had a hard game against them on a last day of season when we clinched the title one year, they should have gotten a pen.

I think our next 3 games are our 'crunch' period tbh. 3 games in 8 days - SAF has to juggle fitness, endurance and rotation whilst attempting to gain maximum points.

It's reasonable to say that there is no-one you would rather have to steer us through the compromises than SAF - but it still won't be easy.

By Mon week we will either have let City back in or almost finished them off - I hope it's the latter - and I think we have a good chance to do it.

:confused:
What if it stay as it is?
Our last 4 fixtures are Everton, City away, Swansea and Sunderland away.

This is going down to the very end.

Looking at the fixtures, after this round, City have the easier last 6 games than us.

Looking at the fixtures, after this round, City have the easier last 6 games than us.

I've heard this a lot and it's nonsense. Their away fixtures are tougher than ours, home games are similar and we have 5 points to take care of possible loss at Etihad as we'd still be 2 ahead.

I've heard this a lot and it's nonsense. Their away fixtures are tougher than ours, home games are similar and we have 5 points to take care of possible loss at Etihad as we'd still be 2 ahead.
I'm not talking about the points lead we have..
Norwich and Wolves away arent tough. Both are in the bottom 3 of the form table. Wolves are dire and Norwich have gone off the boil.

West Brom and QPR at the Etihad should be easy. QPR might even be a meaningless game (either safe or down by the last day, and in both case the players will be exhausted.. might be different if they hve to win to survive)

Newcastle away is tough. And we have to go there(Etihad).

We have Sunderland away that is tough.
We have to go to Etihad.
Everton have just gone ahead of Liverpool, they would want to finish above them.
Swansea might not have anything to play for, but they are a good possession team and havent gone off the boil, unlike Norwich.
And we play 2 sides fighting relegation, one of them (Wigan) have been picking up points in recent weeks and have lost just 1 in 8.

The points advantage is crucial, but I think their final 6 is easier than ours.

I'm not talking about the points lead we have..
Norwich and Wolves away arent tough. Both are in the bottom 3 of the form table. Wolves are dire and Norwich have gone off the boil.

West Brom and QPR at the Etihad should be easy. QPR might even be a meaningless game (either safe or down by the last day, and in both case the players will be exhausted.. might be different if they hve to win to survive)

Newcastle away is tough. And we have to go there.
We have Sunderland away that is tough.
We have to go to Etihad.
Everton have just gone ahead of Liverpool, they would want to finish above them.
Swansea might not have anything to play for, but they are a good possession team.
And we play 2 sides fighting relegation, one of them (Wigan) have been picking up points in recent weeks and have lost just 1 in 8.

The points advantage is crucial, but I think their final 6 is easier than ours.

Already done, we were duffed 3-0. Tough game, won't be easy at all for City. Neither will Norwich or Arsenal. Wolves they'll do comfortably I reckon.

That was about City's fixtures. Newcaslte away and we have to go to Etihad.
And this is about the current round of games. Not looking at Arsenal away.
If they come through the arse game, their final 6 is potentially easier than ours.

It would seem you are correct, at least statistically. Though with our own game added in it's quite even.

The record of each team's last 6 opponents:

City [not counting United]: 27-18-33, 1.27 points per game
City: 39-21-34, 1.47 ppg
United [not counting City]: 21-26-30, 1.16 ppg
United: 36-27-30, 1.45 ppg

City

WBA [H] 6-4-6
Norwich [A] 6-5-4
Wolves [A] 3-2-11
United [H] 12-3-1
Newcastle [A] 9-5-2
QPR [H] 3-2-10

United

Wigan [A] 2-7-7
Villa [H] 3-8-4
Everton [H] 5-4-6
City [A] 15-1-0
Swansea [H] 4-3-9
Sunderland [A] 7-4-4

we can afford 2 draws, 3 if one of them is with Citeh.

Win our home games and avoid defeat on the road and we are
champ20ns:devil:

It would seem you are correct, at least statistically. Though with our own game added in it's quite even.

The record of each team's last 6 opponents:

City [not counting United]: 27-18-33, 1.27 points per game
City: 39-21-34, 1.47 ppg
United [not counting City]: 21-26-30, 1.16 ppg
United: 36-27-30, 1.45 ppg

City

WBA [H] 6-4-6
Norwich [A] 6-5-4
Wolves [A] 3-2-11
United [H] 12-3-1
Newcastle [A] 9-5-2
QPR [H] 3-2-10

United

Wigan [A] 2-7-7
Villa [H] 3-8-4
Everton [H] 5-4-6
City [A] 15-1-0
Swansea [H] 4-3-9
Sunderland [A] 7-4-4

A quick check over the next 3 games gives the following (unless my arithmetic went wrong).

City opponents ave 1.74ppg
Utd opponents ave 0.89ppg

So expecting them to gain 2-3 points fewer than us over that period makes some sense. However, if we give them a 'boost' by dropping points we could expect their form to improve.

Whilst true we've to go Sunderland last day, it also shouldn't be forgotten that City need to go to Newcastle for their last fixture.

Whilst true we've to go Sunderland last day, it also shouldn't be forgotten that City need to go to Newcastle for their last fixture.

Nope, they're home against QPR.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...City-player-sorry-celebrating-United-win.html

A Manchester City youth team star has been forced to apologise for celebrating rivals United's win over Blackburn on Monday night.

Sam Jones took to Twitter praising the late goals by Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young which sent the Premier League leaders five points clear at the top.

The Welsh defender wrote: 'Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh united united united', before adding, 'yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a goal!!!!!'.
Words to had: Roberto Mancini would have been unimpressed with Sam Jones

At the end of the match, Jones continue, writing: 'Game over! Ashley Young you king!'.

It attracted fierce criticism from City fans, while club officials also spotted the tweets and forced the youngster to apologise.

Jones later tweeter: 'To all City fans I am really sorry for causing offence with my tweets. I realise I shouldn’t have said those things. The Club have reminded me about my responsibilities as a City player..

Next up for City is Arsenal on Sunday afternoon, by which time they could be eight points adrift of United who face QPR earlier in the day.

:lol:

poor lad

A bit of a legend as far as I'm concerned! Fergie sign him up!

We slip up against qpr and city beat arse and it's back in their hands. Premature celebrations.

I really can't see us dropping points on Sunday even if stranger things happened at OT before. We look good, our flair players are hitting top form and our defense looks solid. Happy days.

We slip up against qpr and city beat arse and it's back in their hands. Premature celebrations.
Our players are focused to win the title and won't let their concentration level drop one bit, city are the one under pressure to win every games now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...City-player-sorry-celebrating-United-win.html

A Manchester City youth team star has been forced to apologise for celebrating rivals United's win over Blackburn on Monday night.

Sam Jones took to Twitter praising the late goals by Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young which sent the Premier League leaders five points clear at the top.

The Welsh defender wrote: 'Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh united united united', before adding, 'yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a goal!!!!!'.
Words to had: Roberto Mancini would have been unimpressed with Sam Jones

At the end of the match, Jones continue, writing: 'Game over! Ashley Young you king!'.

It attracted fierce criticism from City fans, while club officials also spotted the tweets and forced the youngster to apologise.

Jones later tweeter: 'To all City fans I am really sorry for causing offence with my tweets. I realise I shouldn’t have said those things. The Club have reminded me about my responsibilities as a City player..

Next up for City is Arsenal on Sunday afternoon, by which time they could be eight points adrift of United who face QPR earlier in the day.

:lol:

poor lad

He might not be the only one switching allegiances. Given his history, I fully expect Balotelli to show up in a United shirt before the end of this title race as well.

A quick check over the next 3 games gives the following (unless my arithmetic went wrong).

City opponents ave 1.74ppg
Utd opponents ave 0.89ppg

So expecting them to gain 2-3 points fewer than us over that period makes some sense. However, if we give them a 'boost' by dropping points we could expect their form to improve.

I wouldn't say their's are easier but recent form does even it up a bit

I'd hope we might have it sewn up before Sunderland - whereas they have to go to Newcastle where they could blow it before then. Historically though, they have decent record at Newcastle

City's away form is poor. They have dropped points in 8, and only won 7....and recent form is worse than that. Arsenal, Norwich and Newcastle are all banana skins for them.

Platt is the latest one to be wheeled out with an announcement that it's United's to lose.

Thanks Platty - it'll make no difference what you think though