The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Helene

The problem is that most of that rain we got today was from a low pressure system that coincidentally was moving through as Helene was moving in.

SC and NC didn’t really start getting Helene’s rain till late in the day
Satellite imagery had it looking like the hurricane with a huge blade attached to it that slammed the whole east coast.

Mass power outages happening now that the wind field is hitting western NC, SC, eastern NC, and northern GA. Closing in on a foot of rain also. Fears of major river flooding + landslides in the mountain areas.

Heard. Don't think I was aware of such before.

Trying to be a good Samaritan right now & turning cars back into the apartment complex.
Good on you, but play it safe! Some of the videos coming out of Ashville/Blowing Rock/etc. are just crazy.

Good on you, but play it safe! Some of the videos coming out of Ashville/Blowing Rock/etc. are just crazy.
Haven't seen any videos from east / northeast of us yet. I'll no doubt have some in the coming hours / days.

Thankfully the complex is about 50 feet higher than the current water line so I am still significantly above it. I've tried to signal for six cars to stop; four blew me off & two listened. I've only seen two of the cars that have passed me on the way up the complex's driveway, hope the other two are just taking pictures down there.

I might be in what's left of the storm's eye in an hour or so. Don't recall ever being so close to a named storm's eye before.

Feels like half Tampa area was flooded. This was insane impact from what wasn't even hurricane force winds or bad rain. Spent most of the evening at the coffee shop. Finally lost power after the worst was past. I can't even begin to imagine the devastation up north.

And unfortunately places like Tropical Weather subreddit is being hammered by maga project 2024 defund NHC idiots. Why did the NHC lie, it wasn't that strong, the track was wrong, etc. I can only imagine what twitter is like.

For folks in Tampa, this might have been mentioned before, a scenario was run called Project Phoenix which simulates a Cat 5 direct hit. I have a feeling this needs updated because the surge from a glance was bad enough. A storm this size pushing water east on the south side during high tide.

From what you guys are posting this looks insane.

Why is this not bigger news? Random storms killing 12 people in a random country usually makes front page BBC news but barely a mention of a hurricane thats tearing apart the East Coast?

Crazy to see states as far as Ohio getting tropical storm/depression force conditions + tornado threats.

From what you guys are posting this looks insane.

Why is this not bigger news? Random storms killing 12 people in a random country usually makes front page BBC news but barely a mention of a hurricane thats tearing apart the East Coast?
On 24 hour news here on multiple channels. Social media also blowing up.