The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Francine

I'm now in Savannah. People are freaking out here because Ian is slated to hit us as a tropical storm. It'll be like a solid summer storm albeit over about 12 hours.
Must be tough to leave your home but better safe than sorry.
My elevation is 42 feet and I am one of the highest areas of the county. It at times like this you realise just how flat and vulnerable the area is.
I just spoke to my sister and it seems like it's starting to pick up there. The wind has started and it's been raining constantly. Did you evacuate?

My elevation is 42 feet and I am one of the highest areas of the county. It at times like this you realise just how flat and vulnerable the area is.
If the eye had passed to Tampa's west, neighborhoods like Palmetto Beach (just south of the IKEA on the other side of the Selmom expressway) would have been wiped off the map. Some waterfront neighborhoods near Oldsmar would also be erased.

Must be tough to leave your home but better safe than sorry.

I just spoke to my sister and it seems like it's starting to pick up there. The wind has started and it's been raining constantly. Did you evacuate?
Appreciate your kind thoughts, but I've been in Savannah for a couple of years.

I probably would have ridden this storm out in my old place in St. Pete even though I would have been in a mandatory evacuation zone.

@calodo2003 @NotworkSte so St Augustine and St Augustine Beach (which is where our friends are) are now officially under evacuation, but we’ve spoken to them and along with most of their neighbours they have opted to stick it out. They’re 10ft above sea level and the house is sufficiently modern that they have measures in place and have prepared as best as they can.

Not gonna lie I’m nervous but they’re sensible and smart people so I’m hopeful they know what they’re doing and they’ll be OK, it seems likely to be downgraded significantly by the time it reaches them albeit it will still be severe. Hopefully they avoid flooding.

@calodo2003 @NotworkSte so St Augustine and St Augustine Beach (which is where our friends are) are now officially under evacuation, but we’ve spoken to them and along with most of their neighbours they have opted to stick it out. They’re 10ft above sea level and the house is sufficiently modern that they have measures in place and have prepared as best as they can.

Not gonna lie I’m nervous but they’re sensible and smart people so I’m hopeful they know what they’re doing and they’ll be OK, it seems likely to be downgraded significantly by the time it reaches them albeit it will still be severe. Hopefully they avoid flooding.
The max range for storm surge in the St. Augustine area is six feet. There’s also most likely a two hundred foot beach & an elevated state highway between their house(s) & the water. They will probably have more of an issue with flooding from rainfall than storm surge flooding unless they live on the intercoastal waterway. If they live on a back bay, they might experience some surge but it will be more minimal than not.

And you’re correct, the storm will be downgraded by the time it reaches them in force. Your peeps will definitely know the storm is there, but they will not experience anything approaching what we are seeing happen right now on the west coast.

The max range for storm surge in the St. Augustine area is six feet. There’s also most likely a two hundred foot beach & an elevated state highway between their house(s) & the water. They will probably have more of an issue with flooding from rainfall than storm surge flooding unless they live on the intercoastal waterway. If they live on a back bay, they might experience some surge but it will be more minimal than not.

And you’re correct, the storm will be downgraded by the time it reaches them in force. Your peeps will definitely know the storm is there, but they will not experience anything approaching what we are seeing happen right now on the west coast.

They’re roughly 0.5km from the beach/ocean, but yes there’s enough to take encouragement from.

You’re certainly right that the west coat of the state is the real worry, it just focuses the kind when it’s people you know.

That video inside the hurricane hunter is insane. I wouldn’t have the balls now to do a job like that. These guys are based out of Lakeland.

They’re roughly 0.5km from the beach/ocean, but yes there’s enough to take encouragement from.

You’re certainly right that the west coat of the state is the real worry, it just focuses the kind when it’s people you know.
When I used to visit my daughter I’d stay at the Hampton Inn on St Augustine beach. Right on the beach and just a sand berm in the way, the whole area there is basically 6 feet above sea level.

Saw the footage on all the water out of the bay by Bayshore, wonder if you could walk to Davis Island. The airport there is 7ft above sealevel.

Watching DeSantis is spooky. He is seemingly doing a good job in the lead up to landfall. It is scary how much better a candidate he could be v. Trump.

Watching DeSantis is spooky. He is seemingly doing a good job in the lead up to landfall. It is scary how much better a candidate he could be v. Trump.
He also has the charisma of a wet paper bag. It's why he won't debate anyone. He can't control a crowd the way Trump could. And competence doesn't really matter to that base, even if it would be more sinister coming from Desantis