The History Thread

The one which acknowledges that Dresden was a legitimate target, but its methodology of execution was unnecessarily brutal? Think I’d have phrased it differently.

The one which explains why it wasn’t a war crime.

your comment of “only axis charged with war crimes” seems like a weird “both sides”fallacy

The one which explains why it wasn’t a war crime.

your comment of “only axis charged with war crimes” seems like a weird “both sides”fallacy
What? Care to elaborate? Were there war crimes committed by the Allies in WWII?

What? Care to elaborate? Were there war crimes committed by the Allies in WWII?

Depends what you mean by war crimes?

Legal definition of war crimes? Or "severely morally bankrupt stuff"

Not sure how war crimes could have been committed by the Allies in WWII when the concept of war crimes didn't exist until 4 years after the ending of hostilities.

If you want to retroactively apply them, there were cases where individuals or groups of individuals committed acts which could be classed as such, but as a systemic organization? No, the Western allies did not commit systemic war crimes.

The Soviets did commit systemic war crimes, though less by intention and more to do with stavka being unable to contain the rage of 15 million angry men.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a serious but accessible book on the Spanish conquest of Mexico and Central America?
“Conquistadores” by Fernando Cervantes covers the story from Columbus through to Pizarro. The author is a little bit generous to the Spanish in his judgments but he does a good job of framing the story in the context of the worldview of the Europe of the late 15th/early 16th century.

“Conquistadores” by Fernando Cervantes covers the story from Columbus through to Pizarro. The author is a little bit generous to the Spanish in his judgments but he does a good job of framing the story in the context of the worldview of the Europe of the late 15th/early 16th century.

Excellent, looks exactly what I’m after, thanks.

Dresden was a war crime. Even the BBC reported it as such a few years ago on the anniversary.
:rolleyes:
Are we seriously going down this route?

Please, if you're going to make confident statements like this atleast have something to back yourself up with.

Although, I will find it remarkable if you find sources better than Soviet/Nazi/Allied War Archives.

The mayor of the Southern City, Sennefer, says to the tenant-farmer, Baki son of Kysen, to wit: this letter is brought to you, saying, to wit:

I shall pass by you when (Pharaoh) shall moor at Hut-Sekhem in three days. Do not let me find fault with you in your duties. Do not botch it -- absolutely, absolutely not! -- and you (should be) taking for me many plants, lotuses, blossoms, (unknown2) plants, fresh vegetables, along with your cutting five thousand sebu-beams and two hundred marhanans3. Then the boat which will come carrying me will bring it (away to Thebes). For you have not cut wood in the year at all, at all! May you not be slack! If (someone) does not allow you to cut (wood), then you shall go to Mayor User of Hiw and see to the herdsmen of Qus, together with the herdsmen of the cattle which are under my authority, bringing them to you in order to cut wood along with the servants who are with you. And you shall give commands to the herdsmen to cause that they cause4 to be prepared milk in new jars, in anticipation of me, for my coming. I absolutely mean it! Do not be slack! For I know that you are lazy, and you love to eat lying down!

From Sennefer, Mayor of Thebes in the 18th Dynasty, under the rule on Amenhotep III.

I love these very normal letters that pop up every now and again. An annoyed boss with a lazy employee.

From Sennefer, Mayor of Thebes in the 18th Dynasty, under the rule on Amenhotep III.

I love these very normal letters that pop up every now and again. An annoyed boss with a lazy employee.
I had a course in Greek papyrology once - which in practice consisted mostly of deciphering and reading ancient Greek letters. All kinds of business, administrative, and personal letters. Mundane stuff and it would be fairly boring for other time periods, but since this is exactly what you never see for Greek and Roman history otherwise, it was absolutely fascinating.

I had a course in Greek papyrology once - which in practice consisted mostly of deciphering and reading ancient Greek letters. All kinds of business, administrative, and personal letters. Mundane stuff and it would be fairly boring for other time periods, but since this is exactly what you never see for Greek and Roman history otherwise, it was absolutely fascinating.

Was it archaic or something like koine? I had to do a little koine some years ago for New Testament modules at seminary.

Mundanity is perfect for the ancient world, which to the average person is covered by a mist of mystery, magic and mythology. People can barely think of the ancient world in any way other than in an almost otherworldly perspective. So these little letters to farmers and shopping lists are brilliant. It gives the common class character, which is usually missing from a layman's view of what the ancient world looked like.

Was it archaic or something like koine? I had to do a little koine some years ago for New Testament modules at seminary.

Mundanity is perfect for the ancient world, which to the average person is covered by a mist of mystery, magic and mythology. People can barely think of the ancient world in any way other than in an almost otherworldly perspective. So these little letters to farmers and shopping lists are brilliant. It gives the common class character, which is usually missing from a layman's view of what the ancient world looked like.
It was Greek papyri, so koine by definition, cause the Greeks weren't there much before that. Well, I suppose there might be earlier texts, but there would be very little of it. There was also a text in Latin in our textbook actually, I think it was a soldier from Roman that had been stationed in Egypt and wrote home to his mom.

Yeah, exactly, Graeco-Roman history usually comes from the perspective of the elite and their filtering of information, so these texts are great. You do have more sources like that of course, like Egyptian papyri, infinite Mesopotamian business documents on clay tablets, and tons of Roman administrative materials; but I think these papyri give a glimpse of ordinary day-to-day life like nothing else.

The New York Times' first article about Hitler's rise is absolutely stunning
On November 21, 1922, the New York Times published its very first article about Adolf Hitler. It’s an incredible read — especially its assertion that “Hitler’s anti-Semitism was not so violent or genuine as it sounded.” This attitude was, apparently, widespread among Germans at the time; many of them saw Hitler’s anti-Semitism as a ploy for votes among the German masses.

Now, Brown’s sources in all likelihood did tell him that Hitler’s anti-Semitism was for show. That was a popular opinion during Nazism’s early days. But that speaks to how unprepared polite German society was for a movement as sincerely, radically violent as Hitler’s to take power.
https://www.vox.com/2015/2/11/8016017/ny-times-hitler

The New York Times' first article about Hitler's rise is absolutely stunning

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/11/8016017/ny-times-hitler

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the latter part, of how "Polite German society was not ready for a radically violent movement as Hitler's", is a bit of an incorrect statement.

German nobility, or more specifically Prussian dominated Germany nobility were, by culture, incredibly violent. Clauswitz and Bismarck were some of the earlier true pioneers of Realpolitik and they saw violence as a natural extension of politics, and that it was a legitimate, and effective method of achieving political goals at a national level, namely war.

That's why the majority of the German nobility didn't really take on Hitler openly. Though they were appalled by his blaise words, disregard for the appearance of civility, secretly they applauded the geopolitical goals of Hitler, though not from a genocidal and ideological movement, but from the perspective of Prussian Military Glory and dynastic German power. Gerd Von Rundstedt's memoirs goes quite deeply into this.

Interesting that back then they also (interchangeably) referred to Russia instead of the Soviet Union.

I would love for a 2-3 hour documentary about WW2 to be storylined through newspaper headlines. So we can see chronologically how events were reported back then in "realtime". And what the narratives were.

Compared with portugal's dogma? Sorry but no. Portugal and spain by then they were profundly dogmatic. For a reason spain kicked out jews and muslims from the country and the nickname was Elizabeth I the catholic. The spanish crown was the most powerful nation from the 1500s- 1700s and was also among the most dogmatic ruling at the time

As cersei said, power is power. And that comes with the moat powerful army in thw conflict
Spain and Portugal began to abandon their governmental dogma the same time as all the other western nations did when they realized what their dogma did was almost being the entire continent to ruin.

The treaty of Westphalia was the beginning of the end of religious based foreign policy and dogmatic fighting and the beginning of the transition to secular democracies or imperial secular rule.

Which was wayyy before any of the other countries you specified abandoned them. That’s not to say some stuff wasn’t still religiously motivated, like destiny manifest and Cecil Rhodes but ultimately by 1648 Europe began to secularize quickly.

To quote a famous band:

“Has man gone insane, the few shall remain, religion and greed, cost millions to bleed” in reference to 1648

Spain and Portugal began to abandon their governmental dogma the same time as all the other western nations did when they realized what their dogma did was almost being the entire continent to ruin.

The treaty of Westphalia was the beginning of the end of religious based foreign policy and dogmatic fighting and the beginning of the transition to secular democracies or imperial secular rule.

Which was wayyy before any of the other countries you specified abandoned them. That’s not to say some stuff wasn’t still religiously motivated, like destiny manifest and Cecil Rhodes but ultimately by 1648 Europe began to secularize quickly.

To quote a famous band:

“Has man gone insane, the few shall remain, religion and greed, cost millions to bleed” in reference to 1648
So what we do of the 1500 and 1648? Precisely Spain started to lose the grip on its world dominance when there. So are you saying when it started to be less dogmatic it lost the power?

So what we do of the 1500 and 1648? Precisely Spain started to lose the grip on its world dominance when there. So are you saying when it started to be less dogmatic it lost the power?

i don't understand the question?

The point is that the Western World developed and gained power far quicker and cemented that power compared to what people refer to nowadays as "third world countries" because it threw away it's idiotic religious based foreign policy and focused on actually improving the nations wealth and political position.

Spain's relative position compared to other Western European states isn't the focus of the point nor is it relevant.

i don't understand the question?

The point is that the Western World developed and gained power far quicker and cemented that power because it threw away it's idiotic religious based foreign policy and focused on actually improving the nations wealth and political position.

Spain's relative position compared to other Western European states isn't the focus of the point.

Western world became a supremacy power when their armies became superior technologically speaking. Nothing else

Interesting that back then they also (interchangeably) referred to Russia instead of the Soviet Union.

Clickbait titles was also a thing back then too.
But isn't this similar with how England and UK is/was used interchangeably (sometimes) too? At least by not English people.

Obviously Iraq and Afghanistan. I'd argue without clearly defined realistic victory conditions you can't win.

Still US still dominate the area and so what they want with them. US was not there for a war of conquest.

In what example?

How about:

The Iraqi 1st Armoured Division and the Iraqi 3rd Division, totalling 30,000 troops, with a full complement of 300 M1A1 Abrams Tanks, A battalion of AH64D Apache Helicopters, with M113 APC's, Black Hawk Helicopters and Fixed Wing Air Support:

Got absolutely and decisively destroyed by 2500 ISIS fighters with AK47s, RPG's and Toyota Hilux pickup trucks.

How about:

The Iraqi 1st Armoured Division and the Iraqi 3rd Division, totalling 30,000 troops, with a full complement of 300 M1A1 Abrams Tanks, A battalion of AH64D Apache Helicopters, with M113 APC's, Black Hawk Helicopters and Fixed Wing Air Support:

Got absolutely and decisively destroyed by 2500 ISIS fighters with AK47s, RPG's and Toyota Hilux pickup trucks.
So i cant single out 150 years of spain world dominance but you single out a battle?

Also that means in your example that the most dogmatic wins?

You contradict yourself twice in your example

So i cant single out 150 years of spain world dominance but you single out a battle?

Also that means in your example that the most dogmatic wins?

You contradict yourself twice in your example
Ah I don’t know if you’re purposefully choosing to completely miss the point.

Ah I don’t know if you’re purposefully choosing to completely miss the point.

Would not do that on purpose so i might be thick. You are equating dominance of western civilization to loaong its dogmas. I say is for their supperior military might, mainly technological differences with fire arms and superior vessels

You refute my argument on a single battle when we could find many more others where army superiority wins it all. At the same time if we accept your example to disprove my argument take in account that the one that wins in that battle has a more dogmatic approach contradicting your initial argument. So you cant have it both

This is what i undertand at this point

NOW please let me know where i got lost and what is your point i missed, please