The Guardian - Manchester United to sack Erik ten Hag after the FA Cup Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame, I had high hopes when he first came in based on his work at Ajax, but it just has not worked out.

I do hope we move him on though as big changes are needed. First in the boardroom, next in the coaching team and squad.

I'd like Mckenna or Iraola personally, though Tuchel would certainly be an improvement on ETH. Big no to Poch.

The Dutch league is very weak and I don't think he was able to adapt to the PL.

It's the right decision, Erik only has himself to blame and he's shown no accountability to do so given his reflective assessment of why the season has fallen apart.

The team looked disjointed in pre season and it has translated into the league campaign. 6 games into the season I estimated the team finishing 6th even that minimalist expectation was upended.

INEOS provisionally looking at Mckenna, irrespective if it works out its the right project, young and upcoming manager who has outdone himself thus far. Get a plethora of younger players through the door so they are susceptible to learning and can implement instructions.

Correct decision but so fecking disrespectful for this to be coming out the day before the game. Achieves nothing.

Definitely forced our hand for McKenna, pretty obvious it will be him as well. Hope we give McKenna time, it's a big step and we can't panic over bad runs through him the first few years.

About time.

HOWEVER, as much as I wanted him gone why the hell wait until the day before the final? Or if decided earlier, why not keep the leaks down for one more day?

Now we get the worst of both worlds; the players know he's gone before the most important game of the season but we also didn't get the benefit of a better manager to get us CL football.

Doesn't matter whether it's a brief or a leak and where it comes from. He's going to get sacked and this is ruining the build up to a cup final. It should never have happened.

Either sack him when the decision is made (probably months ago) or announce he'll leave in the summer like Bayern did with Tuchel.

Woodward looked like an idiot when he did it to LVG and now Ineos will look just as stupid.
Is this news to you? Did you think he wasn't going to be sacked?

Scandalous this all coming out now. It doesn't sit right with me, and unlike the previous managers. I'm not convinced it's the right call.

Ultimately if this is true, he will feel hard done by with everything he has had to face. All the injuries, financial problems, lack of l structure and uncertainty regarding the takeover situation. Possibly the hardest period of time to manage the club for over 50 years, and certainly the hardest post Sir Alex. I do feel his lack of adaptability to playing a tighter system will have cost him if it's true. You can't let teams, including from League 1, waltz through the midfield and have shot after shot at goal. He can argue that the system would work with everyone available, and maybe it would. But you do probably need to find a way to work around it when you don't have your ideal circumstances, and he never really did that this year. Apart from maybe the last 3 games.

Obviously the correct decision. He can count himself fortunate to have lasted this long.

Bloody awful manager, unfortunately.

Left it too late for a new manager bounce I think, so shitty timing frankly. It's all very well saying it should have been done months ago, but it wasn't. I only hope that Erik has known this for sometime and it isn't news to him or the squad just before tomorrow. Fingers crossed it galvanises a performance (assuming it's even true, Guardian aren't gospel).

Definitely forced our hand for McKenna, pretty obvious it will be him as well. Hope we give McKenna time, it's a big step and we can't panic over bad runs through him the first few years.

Would definitely say it seems like we've had to rush with everything going on.

About time.

HOWEVER, as much as I wanted him gone why the hell wait until the day before the final? Or if decided earlier, why not keep the leaks down for one more day?

Now we get the worst of both worlds; the players know he's gone before the most important game of the season but we also didn't get the benefit of a better manager to get us CL football.
Do you really think the players give a shit about the manager leaving 24 hours before the biggest game of the season? They’ve known for months.

Is this guy reliable? Could be a City plant to derail us before the cup final for all we know.

Scandalous this all coming out now. It doesn't sit right with me, and unlike the previous managers. I'm not convinced it's the right call.

Ultimately if this is true, he will feel hard done by with everything he has had to face. All the injuries, financial problems, lack of l structure and uncertainty regarding the takeover situation. Possibly the hardest period of time to manage the club for over 50 years, and certainly the hardest post Sir Alex. I do feel his lack of adaptability to playing a tighter system will have cost him if it's true. You can't let teams, including from League 1, waltz through the midfield and have shot after shot at goal. He can argue that the system would work with everyone available, and maybe it would. But you do probably need to find a way to work around it when you don't have your ideal circumstances, and he never really did that this year. Apart from maybe the last 3 games.
The media trying to destabilize utd, just before a cup final. This should be enough for every single utd fan to unite. Get behind the manager and the team.

What's so funny? If you enjoy this type of behaviour maybe go and support Chelsea or one of the other shite
Because Chelsea treats their managers with utmost class and dignity :lol: take break mate, your having a mare

What's so funny? If you enjoy this type of behaviour maybe go and support Chelsea or one of the other shite
:lol: What behaviour? You’re jumping to massive conclusions because you want to believe something. You know for sure it wasn’t Erik himself who told the press he was off? Or does that not suit your narrative?

Sadly you can’t trust our medical team to correctly supply him with Imodium

Awful awful timing. with a massive cup final tomorrow

This has actually pissed me off a bit. It means player power has won again.

If they are being ruthless with the manager, they better be ruthless with this group of useless players. Cause we will be back in this same position in 12-18 months time without a doubt

About time.

Can’t stop the leaks, that’s the problem. This news isn’t coming from us, and we have to talk to new managers now because of the way the market has opened up. It’s almost impossible to keep talks quiet as a number of people have to be involved. If we’re talking to McKenna then we have to go through Ipswich, and agents, etc. It’s practically impossible to keep a secret. The alternative is we drag our heels and watch the bets available managers go to other clubs.

:lol: What behaviour? You’re jumping to massive conclusions because you want to believe something. You know for sure it wasn’t Erik himself who told the press he was off? Or does that not suit your narrative?
Why in the feck would Erik leak this before such a huge match? He gains nothing. This has obviously come from the club.

Yep. It's likely the decision was made ages ago but United were planning on waiting until the end of the season before making any moves. Chelsea sacking Poch has basically set everything in motion and it's hard to keep it quiet when you're reaching out to multiple candidates.

Steinberg is very, very close to Pochettino - goes right back to when he was at Southampton.

The fact that a London-based journalist is getting this before any of our beat journalists indicates it didn't come from the club.

Pochettino's incestous relationship with the media has always been a big black mark against him for me.

They aren't. Pretty much all of us have predicted this is going to happen. A journalist says the same thing. Now you're painting it as some kind of disaster and I find it weird.

Then you've missed the point and I dont know how to explain any simpler.

This getting leaked to disrupt us before the cup final was obviously predictable. It could have easily been avoided by sacking him or announcing his departure at the time the decision was made. Not doing that was amateurish by Ineos.

Steinberg is very, very close to Pochettino - goes right back to when he was at Southampton.

The fact that a London-based journalist is getting this before any of our beat journalists indicates it didn't come from the club.

Pochettino's incestous relationship with the media has always been a big black mark against him for me.
There is absolutely no logical reason for the club to leak this to anyone.

Is this guy reliable? Could be a City plant to derail us before the cup final for all we know.

Guardian rarely get the big things wrong and the way they've written it is so sure. If there was doubt, you would expect 'could be' or 'set to'. But they've written it matter of factly. Steinberg reported that Moyes was going to be sacked from West Ham last month.

It's also not that surprising news either.

Status
Not open for further replies.