The F1 Thread 2011 Season

Massa :lol:

Webber & Massa ruin what could be brilliant battles in 6 top cars.

Martin Brundle : DRS has been extremely efficient

Really Martin? What fecking race have you been watching?

Another pretty boring Abu dhabi grand prix though, hard to see how they can improve it massively, how long does this lot have the contract for?

It's nice to see Alonso & Hamilton in good spirits together, I really hope we get to see them head to head again next season.

That didn't look like Champagne, are they even allowed it in Abu Dhabi? Looked more like soda water...

Rose water.

Great race from Hamilton & Alonso today, its only a matter of time before Massa is given his cards at Ferrari.

Massa comes in for a lot of stick on here and yes he did make a mistake at turn one today - but if you take a look at the live timing screens throughout the race as I did this afternoon, on the softer tyre his pace was constantly within five tenths of both Hamilton and Alonso who had the most clear air out there today; he was visibly quicker than Button when he had his KERS problem and only a couple of tenths shy when the problem was rectified, and then Massa was also consistently matchung Webber when they were close together in the first half of the race, both when he was in front and behind. That only changed when Webber was on the soft tyre in the last phase of the race and Massa on the hard, which is slower no matter who you are.

And I'd like to add to the Hamilton/Alonso praise on here, was fantastic to see them close together on the track and also visibly happier in each other's company as well. Seriously hope they can take it to Vettel next year.

Somehow I'm still expecting Hamilton to get called-in by the stewards. ;) :D

Regarding the thaw in relations between Alonso & Hamilton...I wonder if, with Massa struggling, Ferrari might court Hamilton?

Alonso once again is there or there abouts. The best driver at maximizing results from any given car.

I hope they can get the race on , holding Bernie to ransom by stopping construction on the track is playing a dangerous game,
The track does look like it could be a good one , watching DC going round the rough track looked good.
The problem could stem from The New York GP from 2013 and for 10 years after , maybe Austin does not want to spend mega amounts of money needed.

Bullshit. If it was going to be axed, it would be axed already. This is Bernie playing the hurry along game. He knows how import the USA is to F1 and he won't just give them the chop like that.

Exactly, i recall him doing the same to Korea last year saying it was off only for them to pull their finger out to get the race, just about, ready.

Difference here is that they have seemingly ran out of money. A seemingly complicated web of the race promoter, the owners of the track, and the Texas tourist board. From what I've read, the promoter had the initial contract, but it was cancelled when they couldn't come up with the money, the Texas tourist board apparently agreed intially to help support the thing before each race and have now said that they'll only do it after the race, leaving the track owners having to stump up the cash within a week or two to get the new contract. They however clearly don't have any money and have thus halted construction.

What's really gone on is anyone's guess.

Felipe Massa says he has told his Brazilian friend, and Williams driver, Rubens Barrichello to quit Formula 1 and say goodbye at this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix. Barrichello's seat at Williams is under threat but the 39-year-old wants to continue driving. But Massa said: "I told him to quit and to use this last race to have a proper ending. But I know he will do what he thinks is the best for him."

From the BBC gossip section.

Take your own advice, Felipe.

Sky have announced a Sky F1 HD channel for next year, this better be on Virgin Media, complete joke if its not

The BBC has announced it's plans for the 2012 season,

15 April: China
13 May: Spain
27 May: Monaco
24 June: Europe
8 July: Britain
2 September: Belgium
23 September: Singapore
14 October: Korea
4 November: Abu Dhabi
25 November: Brazil

All other races are on Sky Sports F1HD

Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

There will be full live coverage of both qualifying and race on BBC One, BBC One HD and the BBC Sport website, plus a one-hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD.

The presentation team will be at all the races, including those that are not being broadcast live on BBC television. Full details of the team will be revealed at a later date.

BBC Sport - BBC reveals F1 coverage schedule for 2012

As for Virgin/Free View/BT I read this tweet from SkySportsF1 "It is not yet known whether the new channel (Sky F1) will be available on Virgin Media". This best not go the same way as Sky Atlantic, most Virgin customers know how that ended. It would be a massive feck up if this channel isn't made available for Virgin/BT. I pay for the full Sky Sports package with Virgin would be really pissed of if we don't get this.