Books The BOOK thread

That sounds interesting- is it meant to be a legit history or dramatised?
It's legit. Minor's diagnosis changed as understanding of psychiatry and mental health issues progressed, and he was declared to be suffering from schizophrenia towards the end of his life. Which makes sense when you read about his colourful life. I won't reveal anything else, other than he was said to be "formidably afraid of the Irish" :lol:.

It's a fascinating story.

The bold is a giggle. He’s literally describing the purpose of PEDs. There aren’t really any reliable ‘Run faster drugs’ at that distance. Drugs are just used to ensure you can maintain your training volume and load… which makes you faster.

Book sounds good though. Will grab it and read it.
Yeah, I don't think he's got the fastest brain in the world.

It's legit. Minor's diagnosis changed as understanding of psychiatry and mental health issues progressed, and he was declared to be suffering from schizophrenia towards the end of his life. Which makes sense when you read about his colourful life. I won't reveal anything else, other than he was said to be "formidably afraid of the Irish" :lol:.

The guy's shock and dismay about finding out who this bloke is must be entertaining in its own right. Sounds intriguing and will definitely add to the list.

Done reading Coming of the Third Reich by Richard Evans. Jeez, so many details and some interesting insights about the Weimar Republic and the circumstances surrounding the rise of the Nazi's.

As my screen name suggests, I'm an avid reader of PG Wodehouse books.

Recently finished a latest re-read of the wonderful Jeeves & Wooster series. And I'm now currently working through some of my favourite of his stand alone books - just read Laughing Gas, which is one of his very funniest books; and currently reading Piccadilly Jim.

At the same time, I've also found some good readings of the books on YouTube - read mostly by Jonathan Cecil - which I'm listening to when doing other stuff. Currently working my way through the Blandings series that way. :)

I believe me and my 7 yo son have found a real gem tonight.

Le Petit Nicolas (Little Nicholas) by René Goscinny

Looking forward feasting on it over the next few weeks as there are quite a lot of sequels of it.

Done reading Coming of the Third Reich by Richard Evans. Jeez, so many details and some interesting insights about the Weimar Republic and the circumstances surrounding the rise of the Nazi's.

That's a great book. Have you read the two-volume series by Ian Kershaw?

Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris
Hitler 1936-1945: Nemesis

By far the most thorough thing out there on the person of Adolf and the rise of the NSDAP.

That's a great book. Have you read the two-volume series by Ian Kershaw?

Hitler 1889-1936: Hubris
Hitler 1936-1945: Nemesis

By far the most thorough thing out there on the person of Adolf and the rise of the NSDAP.
No I haven't read Kershaw yet. There's just too many books and too little time!

So, what I'm reading right now.

I rotate books based on genre; it helps a lot with fatigue and maintaining momentum.

Ancient History
9780691028644.jpg

Historical Fiction
images

Political
61l4Vs+oLpL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Modern History
61sIpRMgB9L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Criminology
images

What's the Athens book like?

This book asks an important question often ignored by ancient historians and political scientists alike: Why did Athenian democracy work as well and for as long as it did? Josiah Ober seeks the answer by analyzing the sociology of Athenian politics and the nature of communication between elite and nonelite citizens. ...

Very good read, not at all dry, and is recommended by both R/askhistorians and R/history

It's intermediate reading for Ancient Greek history, so it assumes some base knowledge on Athenian politics, rhetoricism and geopolitics of the region.

Last edited:
Very good read, not at all dry, and is recommended by both R/askhistorians and R/history

It's intermediate reading for Ancient Greek history, so it assumes some base knowledge on Athenian politics, rhetoricism and geopolitics of the region.
Cheers. I love ancient history but my Dad is absolutely obsessed. I might get it for him. Looks a bit different than the usual basic history approach.

Cheers. I love ancient history but my Dad is absolutely obsessed. I might get it for him. Looks a bit different than the usual basic history approach.

Does he have a specific special interest? Greece, Egypt, Rome, Persia?

Grab him "The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt" by Toby Wilkinson.

That was a fantastic book. I'd forgotten all about it.

Does he have a specific special interest? Greece, Egypt, Rome, Persia?

Grab him "The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt" by Toby Wilkinson.
He's done Greece and Persia, is now on Rome and will move onto Egypt next. I got him John Romer's Egyptian trilogy for his birthday in April, but I'll add your suggestion to the Xmas wishlist.