Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
From what I understand that’s exactly what he did. It’s not his first time flying to AUS so he must have completed the visa application a hundred times before and as far as we know there were never any issues with it.

Ok so this time he needed additional documentation re. the medical exemption etc, which he obtained, but then only upon landing found out that even that wasn’t enough. I mean at this point I’m not sure what else he could have done?!
Check that he met the current requirements for entry to Australia?

Like I would if I went to another country (like I did when I flew to one last month).

InfiniteBoredom

Who knows but Federer wouldn't put himself in such a position anyway
As loved as Fed is here, the response would be pretty much the same, my colleague who usually didnt care much for the AO was planning on going on his day off to join in the booing when it seemed like Djokovic was going to play. After 2 years of lockdown, Victorians have very little time for the rich and priveleged getting their way while the rest of us suffer for the well being of the community at large.

SinNombre

Oh I didn’t know that. So I could literally book a flight from London to Melbourne, stop over at Zürich and Singapore, and be able to board the plane each time without anyone ever checking if I even have a visa?
Airlines check for visas, immigration officials at the final destination decide whether to allow someone or not.

SinNombre

Who knows but Federer wouldn't put himself in such a position anyway
Well, at the least, Federer wouldn’t be stupid enough to gloat about it on social media that caused the whole uproar.

wr8_utd

:'(
Why would he be allowed to stay in a rented apartment? His team had their visas processed while Novak was denied entry. Why would he be allowed to stay with them in a rented apartment/hotel etc?

A useful summary/timeline.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/ne...australian-open-debacle-whats-happened-so-far

Including a comment on Aus requirements for entry;

"visitors entering the country to be double vaccinated, and to hold a valid and appropriate visa.

There are medical exemptions whereby some travellers may enter the country unvaccinated, but all of these are viewed and assessed alongside visas by Australia Border Force upon the traveller's arrival to immigration."

Kazi

Better if he doesn’t play

Maybe that’ll help him stay fresh for the US Open

Balljy

Better if he doesn’t play

Maybe that’ll help him stay fresh for the US Open
Won't he have exactly the same issue in the US as well, or is he more likely to be granted an exemption there through their rules?

Non-U.S. citizen, Non-U.S. immigrants: Travel to the United States | CDC

Edit - he could prove that he has had Covid in the 90 days prior to entry, but that would mean that he has to get it (probably for the 3rd time it seems) sometime around June or July.

Last edited:

spiriticon

I don't understand why he won't get his doctor to cook up a medically valid excuse. It should be easy enough. After all, Liverpool players are all asthmatic and need special meds or something, don't they?

Showing that this is a choice is clearly very important to him, but not important enough to miss out on a Grand Slam.

fergieisold

Technically you are. Dublin is one airport where US customs work to clear you before you fly so you are admitted to the US before you fly and don’t do immigration when you land. Airside at that terminal I guess is considered part of the US. Edit: no I am wrong on this part, is still Irish jurisdiction.
The US is a weird country when it come to immigration in that airlines need to submit all passengers details ahead of time and it is possible to be denied boarding before you fly. And no one transits the US without clearing inmigration so airlines generally dont stop in the US on the way to another country. Everyone clears immigration even if they aren’t destined for there and have an onward flight.
That's one nice advantage of going through Dublin. Ge to the US and there's no messing around!

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Think they're two separate things?

TA can say "based on what you've told us, you could qualify for a medical exemption" but they're not the arbiters of border control.

If Wimbledon said a player can enter their tournament based on what he/she said, we'd expect said player to check rules of the UK and make sure they met them?
Think that's fair but to think how high profile Djokovic is, I think this could have been handled quietly as the rules were quiet clear from the Australian Border Patrol and Tennis Australia to make it clear that they can give an exemption but he will be taking a risk flying out to Australia. I would say it would be a damn sight better for them to leak it to the press as well to make it clear that it's entirely up to Djokovic. Now it all looks a bit muddled and at least in my mind, it's not a good look to go through this farce in public.

This is an awesome show ! At this point I just hope Djokovic stays safe and sane. Deportation or not - I don't care at this point.

Still think that Nole should have taken a jab, however I'm amazed and scared how far he is going not to get it. Amazed as he is putting a lot on the line - I think I would let them jab me 10 times just to avoid this sh1t. Scared - what if he knows something we all don't. What if other power elite is faking their vaccination status. Yep I'm going into a crazy land cause of Djokovic. I know it.

Overall great show. Better than any movie or show these days on TV. This is going into history whichever turn it takes.
If it goes into history, I sure hope for hell that a ridiculous stance taken by an anti vaxx idiot escalated into a diplomatic row between two countries.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Technically you are. Dublin is one airport where US customs work to clear you before you fly so you are admitted to the US before you fly and don’t do immigration when you land. Airside at that terminal I guess is considered part of the US. Edit: no I am wrong on this part, is still Irish jurisdiction.
The US is a weird country when it come to immigration in that airlines need to submit all passengers details ahead of time and it is possible to be denied boarding before you fly. And no one transits the US without clearing inmigration so airlines generally dont stop in the US on the way to another country. Everyone clears immigration even if they aren’t destined for there and have an onward flight.
It happens in many airports. I have flown from a couple of airports in the gulf where immigration check in happens at the transit airport. Also, as someone who used to fly fairly regularly between India and US, validity of visa was checked at the departure point in India by the airline staff almost every single time.

Denis79

From what I understand that’s exactly what he did. It’s not his first time flying to AUS so he must have completed the visa application a hundred times before and as far as we know there were never any issues with it.

Ok so this time he needed additional documentation re. the medical exemption etc, which he obtained, but then only upon landing found out that even that wasn’t enough. I mean at this point I’m not sure what else he could have done?!
He could take the fecking vaccine. The Tennis organization does not set the rules of a sovereign country, they made an excemption for him to play, that"s it. The visa is applied by normal means and rules. I am Serb but the man is a disgrace, the second he opened his mouth about being opposed to vaccines he lost all my admiration. As a role model he should know to shut up about things people educate themselves for decades to understand and imo have a right to educate others about.

Now he's angry and threatens to stop playing if he's not allowed to enter the country, grow the feck up! People aren't allowed in the country to see their dying relatives but he should!? Man is an fecking idiot and I'm saying this as a fellow countryman.

reelworld

I'm surprised we're still discussing about Djokovic exemption. All this talk about exemption could be avoided if he's just, you know, got vaccinated.
I think sense of entitlement and rules don't applied to him played a major part in Djokovic thinking. He doesn't want to be bothered with vaccination, and he thinks because he's number 1 and and the main attraction on AO, every authority in Australia will just let him in without getting the vaccine.
And I think he might be successful in that if he's not bragging about the exemption the fecking moron :lol:

I think if the antivax is a lower level player, trying to play in AO, he'll make sure to get vaccinated. But noo Djokovic thinks that rules don't applied to him

reelworld

He could take the fecking vaccine. The Tennis organization does not set the rules of a sovereign country, they made an excemption for him to play, that"s it. The visa is applied by normal means and rules. I am Serb but the man is a disgrace, the second he opened his mouth about being opposed to vaccines he lost all my admiration. As a role model he should know to shut up about things people educate themselves for decades to understand and imo have a right to educate others about.

Now he's angry and threatens to stop playing if he's not allowed to enter the country, grow the feck up! People aren't allowed in the country to see their dying relatives but he should!? Man is an fecking idiot and I'm saying this as a fellow countryman.
well said.
It'll be hilarious if French Open and Wimbledon also follow suit and required all players to get vaccinated.

Rajma

He should sack his advisors, someone sane in his team should have told him to simply get vaccinated or he will face strong backlash from fans and many problems while traveling. If he doesn’t believe in these vaccinations could have just gotten a single dose of JJ and be done with it. The treatment is of course over the top and Australian gov. are bunch of clowns going by this debacle.

Enigma_87

You know who
To me this is a big clusterfeck. To begin with I'm not antivax or things like that - I'm vaxxed with all possible vaccines when growing up and voluntarily had influenza ones as well as vaccinated my kid with all possible vaccines out there.

However I'm strictly opposed to any means of mandatory vaccines when it comes the above scenario as well. Everybody that has been vaccinated and completed the cycle an year ago is likely to have zero protection when it comes to being a carrier of the virus and no much difference than whether or not he's vaccinated/went through the disease or has the papers to enter the country.

It should be a personal choice - test him every day or by other means but being allowed to enter only as fully vaccinated is a discrimination and should never happen.

Of course the state can decide to do whatever they want but at the end of the day it's a multi billion dollar tournament itself and the best player missing will be a loss for everyone and for AU economy as well.

well said.
It'll be hilarious if French Open and Wimbledon also follow suit and required all players to get vaccinated.
I saw something on Twitter (I think it might have been an ex-ESPN tennis correspondent) talking about what can/should be done for future comps.

Obviously, the easy (some .. me.. would say obvious) thing is get vaccinated and fully understand each countries requirements but journo was saying that the ATP would be wise to put out some statement to all players to try and preempt/avoid future such issues... or at least to be able to say "told you" and not look like Tennis Aus.

A positive (apart from Djokovic looking like an idiot) may be clarity and more sportspersons getting vaccinated.

Just thinking... not heard stories about footballers but guessing as rules within Europe are not as stringent.

Enigma_87

You know who

That should be his personal choice and not be forced into it. These pro athletes are on strict regime and diets and train many hours per day. Every reaction to the vaccine might ruin the preparation for the tournament and hold them back in their training regimes. We saw what happened to Chardy.

If the AUS government was absolutely clear in their rule Djokovic wouldn't probably travel at all. When they do give that loophole and then hold him at the airport is a big mess for both sides.

To me this is a big clusterfeck. To begin with I'm not antivax or things like that - I'm vaxxed with all possible vaccines when growing up and voluntarily had influenza ones as well as vaccinated my kid with all possible vaccines out there.

However I'm strictly opposed to any means of mandatory vaccines when it comes the above scenario as well. Everybody that has been vaccinated and completed the cycle an year ago is likely to have zero protection when it comes to being a carrier of the virus and no much difference than whether or not he's vaccinated/went through the disease or has the papers to enter the country.

It should be a personal choice - test him every day or by other means but being allowed to enter only as fully vaccinated is a discrimination and should never happen.

Of course the state can decide to do whatever they want but at the end of the day it's a multi billion dollar tournament itself and the best player missing will be a loss for everyone and for AU economy as well.
Can't agree with that. If they did that, that's discrimination against everyone else they HAVEN'T let in? Including Australians who wanted to return home or go from state to state and couldn't... births, deaths, funerals all missed.

And as for the tournament, money shouldn't come into it but from the backlash, sounds like AO would be worse off if he played. Loads saying wouldn't go/watch?

That should be his personal choice and not be forced into it. These pro athletes are on strict regime and diets and train many hours per day. Every reaction to the vaccine might ruin the preparation for the tournament and hold them back in their training regimes. We saw what happened to Chardy.

If the AUS government was absolutely clear in their rule Djokovic wouldn't probably travel at all. When they do give that loophole and then hold him at the airport is a big mess for both sides.
Sorry to reply to you twice (nothing personal :) ) but I don't think that's factually correct? @Wibble ?

Ainu

It's like Nadal said, he's free to make his own choices, but he has to accept the consequences as well. He's not forced into it, he could've simply stayed away.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What a strange tweet. He isn't 'under quarantine' at present, he's being held by Australian immigration officials because they don't believe he's got the correct paperwork to enter the country.

If that's the case, no country is going to just let you enter regardless and galivant to a hotel/flat of your choosing....because then you'd be in the country.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I’m not sure why it’s even a big deal, mandatory vaccines to travel are hardly a new phenomenon

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It happens in many airports. I have flown from a couple of airports in the gulf where immigration check in happens at the transit airport. Also, as someone who used to fly fairly regularly between India and US, validity of visa was checked at the departure point in India by the airline staff almost every single time.
Stuff like this depends on which country you're going to and which country your passport originates from sadly.

When I went to work in Australia, they checked all my visa documentation on arrival at the airport in Australia. Nobody in the UK had checked anything at all, other than the fact I had my passport and boarding pass.

They're perfectly within their rights to refuse me entry at the border in Australia and I'm perfectly within my rights to challenge that decision, though like most normal people, I'd likely have been doing so in my home country, having been deported, rather than trying to get around it and go to a flat to challenge it instead.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!

This makes absolutely no sense. From what I understand it is NOT illegal to travel to Australia if you’re not vaccinated. In other words, it is completely legal to travel to Australia if you’re not vaccinated. IF you meet certain criteria. And IF you do, you are granted a medical exemption certificate from the Department of Health.

Now, if all of the above is factually correct, then what exactly is the problem if Djokovic - or anyone else on planet Earth - decides to follow that process?!

What I’m trying to understand is if Djokovic intentionally did anything that is completley illegal and against the law. I don’t care about any of your emotions or if you’re his countryman or not. I’d simply like to know did he willingly try to break the law, yes or no? And if yes, well then obviously he deserves whatever he gets for trying to lie, cheat, manipulate his way into the tournament. If not, then why all this outrage?

saivet

It's like Nadal said, he's free to make his own choices, but he has to accept the consequences as well. He's not forced into it, he could've simply stayed away.
Yep, Sandgren and Hugues-Herbert did exactly that and didn't even try to attend.

Enigma_87

You know who
Can't agree with that. If they did that, that's discrimination against everyone else they HAVEN'T let in? Including Australians who wanted to return home or go from state to state and couldn't... births, deaths, funerals all missed.

And as for the tournament, money shouldn't come into it but from the backlash, sounds like AO would be worse off if he played. Loads saying wouldn't go/watch?
Don't want to sound elitist or something, but it's clear that some people are not treated like other people and it has always been the case. It's not only in sport we have people with immunity in certain areas and tons of exceptions.

Djokovic is one of the most popular sports persons out there. Whether we like it or not he's a big marketing image and idol to many. The tournament itself is not only for Australian people but an international event that touches base with many cultures, countries that have different rules inside and to obey to.

As for the tournament I doubt Djokovic matches will be in front of an empty crowd - it will be packed, regardless of how some feel. The big profit of course is TV viewerships and that number will nosedive with him out of the tournament.

Sorry to reply to you twice (nothing personal :) ) but I don't think that's factually correct? @Wibble ?
Factually it is correct:
There are medical exemptions whereby some travellers may enter the country unvaccinated
This means that there are exemptions, just that Djokovic team did a really bad job in presenting those papers.

saivet

What a strange tweet. He isn't 'under quarantine' at present, he's being held by Australian immigration officials because they don't believe he's got the correct paperwork to enter the country.

If that's the case, no country is going to just let you enter regardless and galivant to a hotel/flat of your choosing....because then you'd be in the country.
Possibly a language issue using the term quarantine. He's close to Novak's camp and even if it is a silly request, they clearly thought it should be granted or just requested it out of sheer hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.