Spurs new stadium | Loses NFL for 2020 but gains appearance in Gangs of London £££

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, people only go on match day because apart from a tour there is nothing else to do. Levy with our stadium has incorporated a lot of other things in order to get people in everyday, not just match going Tottenham fans, will people go for a family day out that wouldn't go just for football? That's where the answer will be and as of yet no one knows.
In London though? You have as rich choice of other things to do on match day as you can get. You're not as central as the emirates, but unless you envision all these add-ons being attractive enough to become a cultural hub on non-matchdays, I don't see it being the revolutionary 12-hour matchday experience Glaston seems to be envisioning.

… Having a new stadium is not a bad thing. But neither is it some revolutionary concept …

Define "revolutionary".

How many other club-football stadiums are purpose built to host NFL football? How many other club-football stadiums are designed to be multi-use and multi-purpose?

Ok I will bite, we aren't an elite club yet but why do you think we are small? What are you basing this on? Silverware? Revenue? Recent form? Following? In your eyes is anyone no on similar standing to Yourself just simply small?

Take your pick?
  • Spurs haven't won a title in 60 years. They've not won a significant trophy in going on for 30 years. One league cup a decade ago doesn't make for a big club.
  • Spurs have a around a quarter of the number of fans of even the bigger London clubs. You can see this from shirt sales, social media followers, wikipedia page views, television viewing figures and just about any key indicator you want to look at. This is before we even consider United or Liverpool.
  • I've spent years living abroad, in both Asia and Africa. In my experience Spurs have next to zero exposure or mindshare in the regions I've spent time.
United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal are big clubs. Spurs are improving and over the last ten years, have probably been the best run and performing of the small clubs but they still haven't won anything. A decade ago I wouldn't have considered Spurs any bigger than Villa or Everton but your results since have been better so I do now.

Bigger doesn't mean big and until you win something it never will.

Define "revolutionary".

How many other club-football stadiums are purpose built to host NFL football? How many other club-football stadiums are designed to be multi-use and multi-purpose?

Apart from NFL, what are the other purposes?

I certainy wouldn’t say is revolutionary, evolutionary yes. Clubs need to get more out of their stadia on non-match days, having the ability to play NFL is an evolution in developing that revenue stream. That’s good news for you.

But here in lies the issue, you big up everything so much, you make it easy for people who want to criticise to do so - you make this thread so binary or black and white.

I think I have a balanced view, the stadium is going to be great for your fans - but I live and breathe in London, it won’t change anything for non-fans. It’s about no. 6456 on my list of things to do - unless I go and watch’s match there, which I may well do. I’ve been to The Emirates lots of times, but only to ever watch football or go to gigs. Hell, I’ve even been to City to watch them in the CL, straight to the stadium and then home. It’s a vessel, and the entertainment is inside.

If I went to the new stadium to watch a match, I’ll get there just before KO, and leave to ensure I get a decent journey home, I’m not doing any of that other stuff, and neither will anyone else.

Apologies @GlastonSpur - I don’t mean to belittle you family trips to the stadium in the summer holidays.

In London though? You have as rich choice of other things to do on match day as you can get. You're not as central as the emirates, but unless you envision all these add-ons being attractive enough to become a cultural hub on non-matchdays, I don't see it being the revolutionary 12-hour matchday experience Glaston seems to be envisioning.

I don't think any most fans going to a match will be staying round to participate in the other things, but ones talking family's or children may. Id say the thinking be hide the rest of the stuff in the stadium are for non match days.

Take your pick?
  • Spurs haven't won a title in 60 years. They've not won a significant trophy in going on for 30 years. One league cup a decade ago doesn't make for a big club.
  • Spurs have a around a quarter of the number of fans of even the bigger London clubs. You can see this from shirt sales, social media followers, wikipedia page views, television viewing figures and just about any key indicator you want to look at. This is before we even consider United or Liverpool.
  • I've spent years living abroad, in both Asia and Africa. In my experience Spurs have next to zero exposure or mindshare in the regions I've spent time.
United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal are big clubs. Spurs are improving and over the last ten years, have probably been the best run and performing of the small clubs but they still haven't won anything. A decade ago I wouldn't have considered Spurs any bigger than Villa or Everton but your results since have been better so I do now.

Ok so United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal are big clubs every one else is small? Tottenham, Everton, Villa, Newcastle and Halifax town are all on the same level same level? As small? Elitist horse shit my friend.

Ok so United, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal are big clubs every one else is small? Tottenham, Everton, Villa, Newcastle and Halifax town are all on the same level same level? As small? Elitist horse shit my friend.

Obviously there are various levels of small. But just because you are bigger than Halifax Town you expect to be called a big club? Maybe you should tell me what makes Spurs a big club because I'm struggling to see what's elitist about saying they aren't?

There are probably about ten truly big clubs in the world and yes, everyone else is smaller than them. Some are smaller than others but a club who hasn't won the league in almost 60 years and has never won a European Cup isn't pushing hard at the big list.

If that's elitist then so be it. I'd prefer to be elitist than deluded.

Apart from NFL, what are the other purposes?

I certainy wouldn’t say is revolutionary, evolutionary yes. Clubs need to get more out of their stadia on non-match days, having the ability to play NFL is an evolution in developing that revenue stream. That’s good news for you.

But here in lies the issue, you big up everything so much, you make it easy for people who want to criticise to do so - you make this thread so binary or black and white.

I think I have a balanced view, the stadium is going to be great for your fans - but I live and breathe in London, it won’t change anything for non-fans. It’s about no. 6456 on my list of things to do - unless I go and watch’s match there, which I may well do. I’ve been to The Emirates lots of times, but only to ever watch football or go to gigs. Hell, I’ve even been to City to watch them in the CL, straight to the stadium and then home. It’s a vessel, and the entertainment is inside.

If I went to the new stadium to watch a match, I’ll get there just before KO, and leave to ensure I get a decent journey home, I’m not doing any of that other stuff, and neither will anyone else.

Apologies @GlastonSpur - I don’t mean to belittle you family trips to the stadium in the summer holidays.

Several possibilities have been mentioned in this thread already - e.g. e-sports tournaments, rock concerts/other music events and any type of event for which the organisers want a large stadium arena.

As for the rest, we shall see. I imagine that Levy and co have done their homework. So given that they've created a multi-purpose, multi-use stadium that designed to be much more of a 'day out' compared to other football stadiums, I'd rather trust their judgement over yours.

Obviously there are various levels of small. But just because you are bigger than Halifax Town you expect to be called a big club? Maybe you should tell me what makes Spurs a big club because I'm struggling to see what's elitist about saying they aren't?

There are probably about ten truly big clubs in the world and yes, everyone else is smaller than them. Some are smaller than others but a club who hasn't won the league in almost 60 years and has never won a European Cup isn't pushing hard at the big list.

If that's elitist then so be it. I'd prefer to be elitist than deluded.

Every post you make has some narky comment on it, I have said were aren't at the elite level but I wouldn't call us small but what ever floats your boat and makes you feel smug.

Every post you make has some narky comment on it, I have said were aren't at the elite level but I wouldn't call us small but what ever floats your boat and makes you feel smug.
How many players have left Spurs to go to bigger clubs and win titles in the last 2 decades?

How many consecutive seasons have Spurs played in the Champions League?

Spurs IMO are a club 1 or 2 titles away from being on the way to considered a big club. If you consider them a big club what would you call a club like Juve / Bayern / Barca?

How many players have left Spurs to go to bigger clubs and win titles in the last 2 decades?

I would say 6 in the last 15 years anyway? What's that got to do with anything? Again I have said we aren't an Elite club, not being at the top level doesn't make you small, unless ones footballing knowledge allows them to only see that.

I would say 6? What's that got to do with anything? Again I have said we aren't an Elite club, not being at the top level doesn't make you small, unless ones footballing knowledge allows them to only see that.
Ok, how many players have moved to Spurs to win a title in the last 2 decades?

Every one that left bar Keane, again what's you point?
I asked how many moved TO Spurs to win a title...

My point is, in 2 decades youve only had 6 players good enough to move to title winning clubs and Spurs havent won a title in that time. Really, how big a club do you think Spurs are? West Ham have had more players good enough to move to title winning ckubs than yous ffs.

My point is, in 2 decades youve only had 6 players good enough to move to title winning clubs and Spurs havent won a title in that time. Really, how big a club do you think Spurs are? West Ham have had more players good enough to move to title winning ckubs than yous ffs.

I have literally no idea what you are talking about, you clearly aren't reading what I am saying, but again up to you. I have said we aren't an elite club but we aren't small. What has players moving on to a bigger club and winning the title got to do with the size of your club? :wenger:

Edit: I doubt many moved to Spurs with the aim in the head to win the title, the big cash rich clubs willing to spend will get the ones wanting the title, Chelsea, City... United if the board are willing to back their manager. Your definition of big seams to be title winning teams.

Take your pick?

Oh do bore off with this utter nonsense. A decade ago where would you have considered City? 20 years ago where would you have considered Chelsea? - when Hoddle joined in 1994 his office at the training ground was a portacabin>
As a Spurs fan, I recognise United and Liverpool as easily and historically the 2 biggest clubs in the UK with Arse 3rd. And yes, I now have to accept that an insane amount of money has propelled City and Chelsea ahead of us - such is the way of this new era of football where clubs are defined by commercial revenue, amount of shirts sold in Indonesia, and the fanbase defined by FB likes and Twitter followers etc. I have to accept the game was actually invented in 1992. I have to accept that those 2 clubs with their billions are on the way to overhauling our trophy haul (Chelsea have already) which we took 130 years to organically accumulate and which they were nowhere near pre 2000.
Our national support is bigger than Chelsea's and anybody who actually goes to games and travels around the country would know this- but yes globally we're now miles behind with all those wonderfully loyal fans of theirs across the continents.

But stop it with defining our size by the fact we have't won a league since 1961, or our Asian and African exposure which is only a recent football phenomenon - there's a lot more to it than that. The players we've had, our historical profile, our national fanbase, our away support, the most amount of players to have appeared for England, etc.
By your reasoning, explain why Forest aren't bigger than us with their 2 European Cups wins? or maybe you think they are?
Anyway, I'm not doing a Spurs vs Everton/Villa/Forest in size stakes. These are great, historical clubs who unfortunately didn't have a Russian or a Sheikh propel them beyond what was ever organically possible. They fell behind financially at totally the wrong time. This doesn't make them small clubs - you backward thinking new age fan, with a severe lack of nuance and history who I very much doubt supports his GARGANTUAN club in the flesh.

I only ever get narky or smug when I feel people are blowing their own trumpets too much. I took issue with some of the smug nonsense in this thread and you took issue with me calling Spurs small.

If Spurs fans don't like being called small, they should stop telling the world how they're so much bigger and better than everyone until they've proved it.

I only ever get narky or smug when I feel people are blowing their own trumpets too much. I took issue with some of the smug nonsense in this thread and you took issue with me calling Spurs small.

If Spurs fans don't like being called small, they should stop telling the world how they're so much bigger and better than everyone until they've proved it.

Where have I said that, or anything remotely close to it?

Oh do bore off with this utter nonsense. A decade ago where would you have considered City? 20 years ago where would you have considered Chelsea? - when Hoddle joined in 1994 his office at the training ground was a portacabin>
As a Spurs fan, I recognise United and Liverpool as easily and historically the 2 biggest clubs in the UK with Arse 3rd. And yes, I now have to accept that an insane amount of money has propelled City and Chelsea ahead of us - such is the way of this new era of football where clubs are defined by commercial revenue, amount of shirts sold in Indonesia, and the fanbase defined by FB likes and Twitter followers etc. I have to accept the game was actually invented in 1992. I have to accept that those 2 clubs with their billions are on the way to overhauling our trophy haul (Chelsea have already) which we took 130 years to organically accumulate and which they were nowhere near pre 2000.
Our national support is bigger than Chelsea's and anybody who actually goes to games and travels around the country would know this- but yes globally we're now miles behind with all those wonderfully loyal fans of theirs across the continents.

But stop it with defining our size by the fact we have't won a league since 1961, or our Asian and African exposure which is only a recent football phenomenon - there's a lot more to it than that. The players we've had, our historical profile, our national fanbase, our away support, the most amount of players to have appeared for England, etc.
By your reasoning, explain why Forest aren't bigger than us with their 2 European Cups wins? or maybe you think they are?
Anyway, I'm not doing a Spurs vs Everton/Villa/Forest in size stakes. These are great, historical clubs who unfortunately didn't have a Russian or a Sheikh propel them beyond what was ever organically possible. They fell behind financially at totally the wrong time. This doesn't make them small clubs - you backward thinking new age fan, with a severe lack of nuance and history who I very much doubt supports his GARGANTUAN club in the flesh.

Bravo kind sir, its about having a knowledge and understanding outside your own football clubs bubble.

. A decade ago where would you have considered City? 20 years ago where would you have considered Chelsea

Small. Then they won stuff and attracted more fans to become bigger.

I'm not sure you've fully understood the conversation here.

… If Spurs fans don't like being called small, they should stop telling the world how they're so much bigger and better than everyone until they've proved it.

They don't. This is simply your wilful fabrication.

Apparently Spurs fans are not allowed to acknowledge that our team will soon be playing in the best football stadium in the UK, without sparking your type of wild invention.

Where have I said that, or anything remotely close to it?

Who said my original post calling Spurs small was directed at you? Have a little read through some of your fellow Spurs fans posts in this thread to understand where I'm coming from here.

If you're going to jump in to defend them when they get themselves into arguments by spouting self indulgent nonsense then you're going to have to deal with being labelled under the same terms.

Apparently Spurs fans are not allowed to acknowledge that our team will soon be playing in the best football stadium in the UK, without sparking your type of wild invention.
Massive accomplishment for your new museum to boast of.

They don't. This is simply your wilful fabrication.

You don't just say that though do you? You have to invent scenarios whereby you'll be hundreds of millions of pounds richer every year and suddenly a huge global superpower.

Come in and say you're building an impressive new stadium that you're all very proud of and hope your team can do justice and we'll all wish you well.

Spout the shite you've been posting over the last few pages and expect to receive the derision you deserve.

You don't just say that though do you? You have to invent scenarios whereby you'll be hundreds of millions of pounds richer every year and suddenly a huge global superpower.

Come in and say you're building an impressive new stadium that you're all very proud of and hope your team can do justice and we'll all wish you well.

Spout the shite you've been posting over the last few pages and expect to receive the derision you deserve.

Again, more wilful fabrication from you.

What I've said is that the new stadium will boost our income by roughly £100m - not "hundreds of millions" - per year.

And what I've also said previously is that Spurs aim to become one of the elite clubs, and that the new stadium complex and new training centre are planned steps towards this ambition.

It's always a sign of a weak argument when posters resort to lying about what others have or have not said.

Why not? The stadium can be open all day before the concert. And if not the extreme sports centre, then maybe the club shop, or the sky-walk, or eating and drinking at one of the sixty outlets, or visiting the interactive museum etc.
Yup, and then the club will have to pay overheads to keep the stadium open, along with security, cleaners, etc etc,
They would need to make sure that what they earn outways the overheads,
It's clear to me now that some people in this forum are a bit
That’s just over half, what about the other half? The money made is not tiny by clubs with a stadium to get the money out of it. Also those clubs listed spent maybe £30m I net in the trasfter window.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17
So I'm right then yeah? Again? This is getting boring.

Yup, and then the club will have to pay overheads to keep the stadium open, along with security, cleaners, etc etc,
They would need to make sure that what they earn outways the overheads,
It's clear to me now that some people in this forum are a bit

So I'm right then yeah? Again? This is getting boring.

I your not right, the money made on match day isn’t tiny, but off you run with your tail between tour legs. Our you suggesting cubs shouldn't have a home stadium now :lol:.

Man Utd - Gate and match-day income £112m

Arsenal - Gate and match-day income £100m

Liverpool - Gate and match-day income £74m

Chelsea - Gate and match-day income £66m

Man City - Gate and match-day income £52m

Tottenham - Gate and match-day income £45m

Hardly tiny.

Last edited:
Careful, your stadium jealousy is showing ...
No. I am, with the rest of the world shaking my head at what a big deal you think it is.

You're like a late blooming teenager who just discovered wanking with lube, who then goes and loudly boasts about to his mates, who are all too busy getting laid to bother with the details of wanking with lube.

Small. Then they won stuff and attracted more fans to become bigger.

I'm not sure you've fully understood the conversation here.

I've acknowledged that very point but the manner of how they achieved it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and certainly when you put them in the group of historically big clubs AND then proclaim every one else as small.

They've attracted more fans globally, nationally they haven't particularly - did you see how empty was Wembley was for the Charity shield? City's social media numbers aren't very impressive yet, they have struggled to sell out their ground, and we all know how their commercial revenue has been massaged.

I'm 43 years old so no dinosaur, but accept the game has changed. However there is still place for history and passion in this game - it's not all about shirt sales and sponsorship deals

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah alright Glaston, its me who is misrepresenting stuff.

Weirdly, I actually quite like Spurs as a team and a club. I like a lot of their players (Kane, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Trippier, Son, Dembele and Moura), I like Poch and his style of football and I've a lot of respect for how Levy and the club run their business.

Then you get stuck talking to their fans and all that good will evaporates. Every club has a majority of decent people and a few gobshites but Spurs just seems to have an overwhelming majority of clowns.

Stop wondering why everyone hates you or belittles you and either start showing some humilty or start winning stuff. You cant be smug and elitist with nothing to show for it and then call supporters of big clubs smug and elitist for pointing that out.

Weirdly, I actually quite like Spurs as a team and a club. I like a lot of their players (Kane, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Trippier, Son, Dembele and Moura), I like Poch and his style of football and I've a lot of respect for how Levy and the club run their business.

Then you get stuck talking to their fans and all that good will evaporates. Every club has a majority of decent people and a few gobshites but Spurs just seems to have an overwhelming majority of clowns.

Stop wondering why everyone hates you or belittles you and either start showing some humilty or start winning stuff. You cant be smug and elitist with nothing to show for it and then call supporters of big clubs smug and elitist for pointing that out.

Again all I will say is I don't see too many Spurs fans of this ilk.

No. I am, with the rest of the world shaking my head at what a big deal you think it is.

Moving into the best club football stadium in the UK, with the 2nd largest capacity, is a big deal. It's a game changer for Spurs, regardless of your attempts to pretend otherwise.

Correct. I've already given two instances of your fabrication.

This is a thread about our new stadium. But you somehow think that Spurs fans should not be celebrating the stadium's arrival, nor claiming that it will make a big difference to our future prospects. So you can take your instructions for "humility" and shove them you know where.

Last edited:
Correct. I've already given two instances of your fabrication.

This is a thread about our new stadium. But you somehow think that Spurs fans should not be celebrating it's arrival, nor claiming that it will make a big difference to our future prospects. So you can take your instructions for "humility" and shove them you know where.

Of all the goalpost shifting and disingenuous arguing on this forum, you are by a distance the worst culprit. There are plenty of examples of this over the past few pages alone, for anyone with more than one eye and more patience than I have for getting drawn into a tedious row with you.

If I had a pound for every time I've heard a Spurs fan tell me about a game changer for your club, I'd be richer than the contract Daniel Levy is drawing up to establish Spurs as a new NFL franchise.

But you're right, this is a thread for you to pat yourselves on the back about your nice new stadium so I'll leave you to it. In ten years time though, I'll be the guy back in here trying not to giggle while I ask you to show me all the trophies your stadium has won for you.

Of all the goalpost shifting and disingenuous arguing on this forum, you are by a distance the worst culprit. There are plenty of examples of this over the past few pages alone, for anyone with more than one eye and more patience than I have for getting drawn into a tedious row with you.

If I had a pound for every time I've heard a Spurs fan tell me about a game changer for your club, I'd be richer than the contract Daniel Levy is drawing up to establish Spurs as a new NFL franchise.

But you're right, this is a thread for you to pat yourselves on the back about your nice new stadium so I'll leave you to it. In ten years time though, I'll be the guy back in here trying not to giggle while I ask you to show me all the trophies your stadium has won for you.

Excellent. The thread could do without more fabrications from you.

The best football ground in the uk? Thats a big shout considering it's about a stadium that will have no history to go with it.

Several possibilities have been mentioned in this thread already - e.g. e-sports tournaments, rock concerts/other music events and any type of event for which the organisers want a large stadium arena.

As for the rest, we shall see. I imagine that Levy and co have done their homework. So given that they've created a multi-purpose, multi-use stadium that designed to be much more of a 'day out' compared to other football stadiums, I'd rather trust their judgement over yours.

I’ve personally seen gigs at Twickenham, Wembley, The Ethihad, The Emirates, Villa Park, The Olympic Stadium, The Millinium Stadium - even Bristol City hold gigs. I’m sure there are many more that I’ve forgotton about.

I’m not doubting that Spurs can hold these types of events, I’m sure they will, but it’s not revolutionary is it - that’s my point.

I’m curious, do you live in London?

I’ve personally seen gigs at Twickenham, Wembley, The Ethihad, The Emirates, Villa Park, The Olympic Stadium, The Millinium Stadium - even Bristol City hold gigs. I’m sure there are many more that I’ve forgotton about.

I’m not doubting that Spurs can hold these types of events, I’m sure they will, but it’s not revolutionary is it - that’s my point.

I’m curious, do you live in London?

It’s the USB charging ports in the seats that are really giving me the green eye.. Hope they’re wired correctly at least.

There’s also a climbing wall I believe, which is something I’ve been after forever at a football venue.

You can shop there too, because that’s what peeps like to do on match days, along with taking a boo at the longest bar in the UK.

All of these things can be utilized while you wait for the pitch to flip to an NFL setup and then spend another 4 hours watching that drudgery.

No wonder there’s a hotel there as well, you’ll never want to leave.

It’s truly impressive what £800 + million will get you these days. It really would have been wise of Arsenal to spend upwards of £400 + million extra for all of that and another 2k seats..

Jeals indeed..