Film Sonic the hedgehog movie

I feel bad for the animators who now have to work extra hard to sort this all out. What a clusterfeck.
Should ask how the hell that got the green light in the first place. Whoever is responsible for that should be out of a job.
Genuinely the worst thing about it was the choice of Gangsta's Paradise. It's actually made me mad.
:lol:

Making sonic look closer to the original design isnt going to make what looks like an awful movie better. Might as well just savr the time and money.

I for one, am delighted that they’ve bowed to pressure and will now force their animators to work crippling overtime on a kids movie to appease angry 30 year olds who don’t like change. Another huge win for fan culture the 21st century! Hoorah!

There are a lot of (literally) autistic Sonic fans on the internet. I'm not surprised by the reaction.

There are a lot of (literally) autistic Sonic fans on the internet. I'm not surprised by the reaction.

I’m sure there probably are. But it does also fall very nicely into that late 80s/early 90s realm of really entitled fan culture bullshit, along with things like Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Where unfulfilled men hitting adulthood, and not dealing with it very well, have decided that gatekeeping things that remind them of their childhood, is something thats REALLY worth getting super angry and invested in... to the point of abusing the people actually making it. Even though it’s no longer aimed at them!

We complain about the intransigence of the Boomer generation now, but I genuinely worry about what the World will be like when the Gen X fanboys are in their place. Because on current evidence, they seem just as belligerently awful. And just as likely to vote a Trump-Esque dictator into power... though rather than in latently racist retaliation for there being a black President, more likely in an even stupider retaliation for there being a female lead Back to the Future remake. Or remaking Hey Arnold with the wrong kind of CGI head.

Civilisation will end with Star Wars dick heads voting in an actual Darth Vader, to troll people for casting too many girls in a Thundercats movie.

And we all deserve to die for letting it happen.

Last edited:
What the feck is this thread. Who cares about a sonic movie

People love whining. "Oh it ruined my childhood" get a grip :lol:

It hasn't ruined your childhood, your childhood experiences of Sonic games still exist. Those games still exist. It's fine. Relax.

This looks dog shit but in that case, I just have to not watch it. Simple.

The biggest crime here is the use of Gangsta's Paradise. Who the hell green lit that :lol:

Was always playing Sonic as a young 'un so will pop to see this. Don't think it's out until November anyway.

What I Don't understand with the concept is surely it would've worked better if they'd kept Sonic (and knuckles I presume) in animated form and combine them with real life actors playing Rabotnik.

Make it like Space Jam which was a cult movie in the mid 90s. (wasn't there talk of doing a sequel to that?)

Edit: It's just a nice bit of nostaliga to me that's all. Think I last played a Sonic game on the Xbox 10 years ago when the Sonic classics game came out.

Anyway it would work better if they made it like Ready Player One which was a cool movie.

Last edited:
What the feck is this thread. Who cares about a sonic movie
That’s like saying who cares about curing cancer, saving money or Kim Kardashian.

They've listened to the criticism and they're changing the design of Sonic. Good job they've got 6 months to do it.

I've read theories that they intentionally made Sonic look ugly knowing itd gain a lot of attention.

I've read theories that they intentionally made Sonic look ugly knowing itd gain a lot of attention.
Very clever if true. As they've gotten so much free publicity now that would've cost them a fortune to generate the normal way. Would be hilarious if they intentionally used Coolio's song to incense! :lol:

The trailer using Batista's music is pretty badass. His music goes with it

It'd be nice if more movies and games were pushed back that amount of time to sort out their problems rather than overworking people to meet short deadlines.

I’m sure there probably are. But it does also fall very nicely into that late 80s/early 90s realm of really entitled fan culture bullshit, along with things like Ghostbusters and Star Wars. Where unfulfilled men hitting adulthood, and not dealing with it very well, have decided that gatekeeping things that remind them of their childhood, is something thats REALLY worth getting super angry and invested in... to the point of abusing the people actually making it. Even though it’s no longer aimed at them!

We complain about the intransigence of the Boomer generation now, but I genuinely worry about what the World will be like when the Gen X fanboys are in their place. Because on current evidence, they seem just as belligerently awful. And just as likely to vote a Trump-Esque dictator into power... though rather than in latently racist retaliation for there being a black President, more likely in an even stupider retaliation for there being a female lead Back to the Future remake. Or remaking Hey Arnold with the wrong kind of CGI head.

Civilisation will end with Star Wars dick heads voting in an actual Darth Vader, to troll people for casting too many girls in a Thundercats movie.

Agree with the sentiment but if these companies weren’t reviving retro games and films for the millennial (aka cash cow) generation, this sort of stuff wouldn’t happen. It’s only because people whose childhoods were in the late 80s to mid 90s are now coming into money with disposable income, and possibly children of their own, that these films are being made.

Not defending them though, I’d hate to be the kind of person who is so affected by the design of a rebooted video game character that they spend their spare time pressuring the production companies to change it, in their 30s.

Is it possible to make an anthropomorphic blue hedgehog, that doesn't really resemble a hedgehog in any way, look anything other than shit?

Probably not. But I said woefully shit, which it was, that's a lower level ;)

Not that it affects me in anyway, I won't be going to see it and my boys aren't interested. But it was incredibly poorly done.

Paramount listened to the fans and redesigned Sonic and made a trailer that actually feels appropriate to what they're advertising instead of using Gangster's fecking Paradise as the theme song. Whilst not mind-blowing, it looks so much better now.

If only Warner Bros. see the positives in what Paramount have done here, we may get better DC films more like The Joker and less like Suicide Squad.

At least the memes are good...

ywy4z5x6jev21.png
:lol:

I prefer the old scraggly one that looked as if he might have just escaped from under a lit bonfire.

This looks fun. And silly but fun

And the Rock should be president , good point

So... finally watched this today. It was better than I thought it would be.

Wasnt great and its not a top cinema movie that you gotta rush out to watch. but it was a fun time passer. Had some funny moments in it. The midcredit scene was cool.

Jim carrey was what I expected as the Eggman.

As a big fan of the sonic games from Sega, it was a lil cool to see a non cartoon Sonic movie. Plot isnt anything great and the standard thing you would expect. Not as cool as Detective Pikachu but still fun.

It's not perfect, but as a fan I enjoyed it.

Can't believe I missed this amazing post at the time!

"You're lack of faith in the Republican Party disturbs me".

Went to see this just before the lockdown, thought it was pretty good aswell. Jim Carrey played Robotnik well.

Finally seen it weeks ago. Not too bad.

Expecting the movie to be worse, but turns out it's slightly better than expected.

It is as it is, average but fun enough.

My only issue is Sonic's character/personality seems off, doesn't behave like the Sonic I knew.
Tails personality is spot-on though :Dso cool.

And Jim Carrey's Eggman is also realistically spot-on, but a more modern version, love it.

The movie also gave a more realistic (scientific?) portrayal of the rings and different worlds, etc etc.

Watched sonic 2. Lots of fun again. Similar to first but with added game characters

Jim Carrey was a great choice for robotnik. Fun time had a decent time passer

When was the last popular Sonic game?

This film seems about 20 years late. Might as well have a Golden Axe film.

If this film does not flop, I'll get a Sonic tattoo.

So what do we make of this comment fellas?
Sonic seemed to do quite well, with a second movie released which has also done pretty well