Music Song of the century

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Also agree with Mr. Brightside. When you hear those first few chords, it's impossible not to listen to the rest of it...

Heardy

Mr Brightside tends to be polarising.

A lot of people love it, but so many are utterly sick of hearing it. It’s a bit of an anthem though that pretty much every one can sing along to.

68cob

One of my favourite bands of the last 20 years and quite a popular tune from them

Kag

Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance.

No matter what you were, be it a a chav, a raver, a goth, an emo, <insert any other 2000s classification of teenager here>, for about six weeks you could blast that song on your Song Ericsson in harmony.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not only that, I don’t know any of the artists save a few. I suppose there isn’t a singer on par with Ray Charles or Marvin Gaye or Freddie Mercury or Robert Plant for starters in this century?? Or songwriters like Lennon and McCartney or Dylan or Jim Morrison??
I‘m sure there is.
Songwriters? I dunno, there are still a few legacy artists that have written great stuff in this century. Mark Knopfler for instance. I'm sure there are good younger ones, but what the ones you mentioned have in common is that they were all mainstream at some point. And mainstream music has gone down the toilet, so they are harder to find, but I have found some foreign language gems over the years, it just requires more digging.

On the singer front, there absolutely are! They just sing (or write) garbage music because that's what sells. Case in point:

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Mr. Brightside is a good shout. I'd maybe suggest Starboy (The Weeknd x Daft Punk) or that Gotye track.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Well I guess the the century has a ways to go before a song of the century is on par with anything good the late 20th century. There is hope for this century though considering the early 20th century had Al Jolson and Enrico Caruso and by the 60s and 70s we had the pinnacle of singers and songwriting so maybe this century needs another 40 years to produce something of quality.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Well I guess the the century has a ways to go before a song of the century is on par with anything good the late 20th century. There is hope for this century though considering the early 20th century had Al Jolson and Enrico Caruso and by the 60s and 70s we had the pinnacle of singers and songwriting so maybe this century needs another 40 years to produce something of quality.
I was thinking that too. Who/what were the standout musicians/music from 1901 - 1923? But...the 1900s started on a blank slate as it had no help from the century prior so was obviously going to struggle and start slow.

Whereas this century has literally had rock, indie, rap and most importantly the evolution of dance music handed down to it on a gold plate. Maybe it's a case of a rich dad spoiling the growth of it's child that now just can't live up to the family name?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I was thinking that too. Who/what were the standout musicians/music from 1901 - 1923? But...the 1900s started on a blank slate as it had no help from the century prior so was obviously going to struggle and start slow.

Whereas this century has literally had rock, indie, rap and most importantly the evolution of dance music handed down to it on a gold plate. Maybe it's a case of a rich dad spoiling the growth of it's child that now just can't live up to the family name?
I think that to be on the level of the past century music would have to change or morph into something completely different. I mean what group is going improve on Pink Floyd or any of the psychedelic bands of the 60s and 70s. Or any genre for that matter. I don’t think you can improve on the hip hop thats been done not to mention hard rock bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, the Stones and the rest. As far as singers it’s all been done with soul and rock music.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think that to be on the level of the past century music would have to change or morph into something completely different. I mean what group is going improve on Pink Floyd or any of the psychedelic bands of the 60s and 70s. Or any genre for that matter. I don’t think you can improve on the hip hop thats been done not to mention hard rock bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, the Stones and the rest. As far as singers it’s all been done with soul and rock music.
Music can never all be done, even in the same genre. There just needs to be an ignition. A Burt Bacharach moment. I just haven't seen it in this century so far.

Like you said, there's more of the century to go yet.

Moby

Dick
This sounds more like ignorance where you've stopped exploring new music as you got older and are only considering things that get popular. A bunch of stuff created by people like Steven Wilson in the last decade or so isn't just on par but fecking towering above a bunch of stuff that got popular in the 70s or whatever. Maybe stop putting the same five albums on repeat and try something new.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Photograph - Nickelback

Best lyrics of all time. No one does ABAB like them. Best part is that it allegedly is an entirely unironic song.

Look at this photograph,
Everytime I do it makes me laugh,
How did our eyes get so red,
And what is that on Joey's head.

It's like Shakespeare with a guitar

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Photograph - Nickelback

Best lyrics of all time. No one does ABAB like them. Best part is that it allegedly is an entirely unironic song.

Look at this photograph,
Everytime I do it makes me laugh,
How did our eyes get so red,
And what is that on Joey's head.

It's like Shakespeare with a guitar
They're no Des'ree.

I'm afraid of the dark
'Specially when I'm in a park
And there's no one else around
Ooh, I get the shivers
I don't want to see a ghost
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They're no Des'ree.

I'm afraid of the dark
'Specially when I'm in a park
And there's no one else around
Ooh, I get the shivers
I don't want to see a ghost
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast

And watch the evening news
This is amazing :lol:

don't actually mind that song, makes me feel happy. And lyrically superior to the artist.

buckooo1978

Good thread.

Why doesnt someone with more free time than me compile a Spotify playlist

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
This sounds more like ignorance where you've stopped exploring new music as you got older and are only considering things that get popular. A bunch of stuff created by people like Steven Wilson in the last decade or so isn't just on par but fecking towering above a bunch of stuff that got popular in the 70s or whatever. Maybe stop putting the same five albums on repeat and try something new.
You do have a point. I have no idea who Steve Wilson is. What I do know is I have been to more gigs- big gigs than anyone I know of and in the last 20 years I have had no desire to see what I’m listening to on the radio these days. I am without a doubt close-minded but it’s not just about 5 albums on retread. I could name a 100 artists and a 1000 songs from the past that just sound better than anything I’m hearing today. But like I said maybe music will head in another direction that’s fresh and innovative. It is early in this century after all.

Moby

Dick
You do have a point. I have no idea who Steve Wilson is. What I do know is I have been to more gigs- big gigs than anyone I know of and in the last 20 years I have had no desire to see what I’m listening to on the radio these days. I am without a doubt close-minded but it’s not just about 5 albums on retread. I could name a 100 artists and a 1000 songs from the past that just sound better than anything I’m hearing today. But like I said maybe music will head in another direction that’s fresh and innovative. It is early in this century after all.
Yeah get off the fecking radio. It's the last place I'd go to for finding anything.

Moby

Dick
I have no idea who Steve Wilson is
Also once you say this all the rest of the babble about knowing a thousand artists is rather void when we are talking of one of the most influential musicians of roughly last two decades involved in various huge projects, not some obscure underground artist.

Your "wait for quality music" is never gonna end because you don't listen to any music anymore.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Also once you say this all the rest of the babble about knowing a thousand artists is rather void when we are talking of one of the most influential musicians of roughly last two decades involved in various huge projects, not some obscure underground artist.

Your "wait for quality music" is never gonna end because you don't listen to any music anymore.
I’ll have to give him (Wilson)a listen. Just googled him and just his quote claiming he didn’t like 80s music but loved 70s music the best makes him worth a listen. Maybe my musical awareness might be enlightened but I’m always right in what sounds good and what doesn’t. Will definitely check this guitarist out. What’s his best track, one that makes an impression.