Smalling signs new contract

Smalling Bailey Shaw Dalot and possibly Lindelof are the ones I'd keep. Not convinced by Lindelof though.

Jones and Rojo can go. Don't care for young either.

Nice to see our twitter fans are clueless tits judging by those replies. He's a fine defender and should definitely be at least back up if we get better centrebacks.
It's not just twitter going by this thread.

Amazing. Hope we extend the contracts of Fellaini, Jones, Young, Lingard, and Valencia next. We wouldn't want Europe's elite clubs to steal them from us.

Smalling and Bailly are the two I'd keep. The hate he gets is excessive, he's a good, reliable defender. Jones and Rojo need to go, not sure about Lindelof, but we're definitely going to be adding defenders at some point.

Amazing. Hope we extend the contracts of Fellaini, Jones, Young, Lingard, and Valencia next. We wouldn't want Europe's elite clubs to steal them from us.

Fellaini extended already. Young loading now.

Lingard is a useful squad player, if he's utilized correctly he can chip in 10-15 goals every season.

Rest of them should've been binned long ago though, there is a staggering amount of shit in our squad.

Lingard's probably the only one from that list including Smalling that a decent club would be in for. We're extending contracts for players that none of the top 6 would even take a second look at. I just don't get it.

He's our best defender and my no means bad like some people make out. Needs a good partner.

We're moving always from Fergie's legacy (Whatever that mean) and it's good thing, only De Gea deserves to be in this team. Smalling shouldn't be first choice CB but he can defend at very least but as long as we don't give Valencia, Young, Phil Jones new contract I don't care.

"We shouldn't give Mourinho another penny, a CB won't solve our problems!"

"FFS a new contract for Smalling?! The state of this club..."

You do realise we have to field a full eleven players despite you being clueless, right?

Good news. I'm never worried when I see him on the teamsheet, which is not something I can say about all our centre backs.

Probably our best defender and also the most dangerous in the opponents box.

Despite him being or not being our best centre back, it's still rewarding mediocrity.
If/when Jose goes and the new poor sod comes in, he'll be slated for not getting the same average players to perform.
Young and Valencia will be given their +1 as to not be seen as giving them a new deal, when in reality it's exactly that.

Cementing more mediocrity at the club, just waiting for news of Ashley Young's and Phil Jones's new contracts now. "One of our best defenders" doesn't say alot when we're languishing mid table, shipped a bunch of goals and the rest of the defenders are apparently worse? People like apparently being stuck in mediocrity just because he "tries hard and gives a lot of heart" well so do a lot of players but it doesn't mean they are any good. Club needs to be getting rid of mediocre and deadwood players, I'd of rather given Tuanzebe a chance than reaign this guy. I'd probably be less pissed about it if I knew we were shipping out Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo, but let's face it, we won't, we're just stuck with deadwood forever, and it's our own fault, club is a shit show.

Despite him being or not being our best centre back, it's still rewarding mediocrity.
If/when Jose goes and the new poor sod comes in, he'll be slated for not getting the same average players to perform.
Young and Valencia will be given their +1 as to not be seen as giving them a new deal, when in reality it's exactly that.
As opposed to punishing mediocrity? :lol: it's simply protecting our assets, rather than see him walk for free. Ideally Rojo and Jones should go, leaving him as our most experienced defender with Bailly and Lindelof as young rotation options. that leaves room for the new manager to sign whoever he wants.

The least of our defensive problems. Given that we're clearly not going to buy 3 centre backs in the near future, this is the right decision.

What a joke this club has become, he's been here nearly ten years and still hasn't certified his position and is under constant scrutiny each season. He is also one of the defenders Ed Woodward was measuring the supposed transfer targets against when he deemed them "not good enough". It really does show how the people of importance at this club have truly settled for mediocrity.

Also for those claiming he is "not the worst of our centre back options" is this really justification to sign a player like him to a lucrative contract? You do realise we have great players like Tuanzebe on loan who will probably be held back by players like him especially when we do go into the market as well.

Last edited:
As opposed to punishing mediocrity? :lol: it's simply protecting our assets, rather than see him walk for free. Ideally Rojo and Jones should go, leaving him as our most experienced defender with Bailly and Lindelof as young rotation options. that leaves room for the new manager to sign whoever he wants.
Since when was punishing mediocrity laughable? No wonder we are where we are.
If you think he just signed to protect our assets then you're puddled. He signed a 4 year deal, meaning the club expect him to still be here in 2022. He'll probably be a starter at that point given the direction of the club.
I don't mind Smalling, he's an alright player, but. Four year deal is stupid.

We were open to selling him to Everton last summer as long as we were able to get a replacement in first. I imagine there is a chance they'll still want him next summer as they only signed Zouma on loan.

Replacement for what? He hardly ever plays.

No point in not extending contracts of saleable assets like Smalling.

He's our best defender, and totally mediocre, but he'd be quite an easy player to sell to another Prem club.

It's extending the contracts of Young or Valencia or Matic that are more reason to groan. Even Lukaku needs to be kept in contract until a thick-as-pig-shit rich club come in for him.

Stealing a living, not long to the testimonial now, coming up to ten years. United have fallen so bad, the state of this forum being happy. Jesus how standards have dropped. Him and the other chuckle brother should be flung out of the club.

Replacement for what? He hardly ever plays.
We have some sort of defensive injury crisis every year. Replacement as in bringing in a first choice CB and selling him for numbers. We've already ended up having to use him this season because most of the others were injured. If our players could stay fit, then we probably would have sold him without bringing in someone.

Not sure about extending him to 2022 but he's still the best defender we've got at the club currently. Like him or not, it isn't feasible to replace 5 or more defenders in one summer and he can at least be a solid squad player for the next couple of years.

Why do people, after it's constantly shown time after time to be rubbish, still talk about Smalling and Jones as if they are at a similar level?

Jones is an injury plagued wreck. Last season was arguably his best ever season for us and he still wasn't good enough.

Meanwhile Smalling has basically been relied on to be a one man defence for the last five years, constantly switching partner because they invariably get injured or simply get dropped for poor form. Not to mention also having to cover a fullback who regularly gets caught out of position and is absolutely terrible at playing the offside trap. The only time in his entire career here that he had a steady partner for an entire season, he ended up our players player of the year.

Best case scenario is that Smalling ends up as a squad player. Worst case scenario is selling Smalling and then having to rely on the other injury prone disasters as squad players. Pick one.

Edit: Actually, the worst case scenario is even worse if Smalling is leaving on a free so we don't even get a transfer fee for him.

Can't get excited about this. If we hadn't extended his contract he would have found his level back at Fulham, West Brom or Sunderland.

Normally when a player signs a new contract I think "Great news". Smalling's announcement has me indifferent. I guess its good news if he becomes a bench option but if its to be a mainstay in our defence its terrible news.

Don't have a problem with this. Smalling is ok as back up. It's those clowns Jones and Rojo that need to feck off . We can't get rid of 3/4 centre backs at once so makes sense to tie the more consistent one down