Sir Alex Ferguson's ambassadorial contract has been axed

Classless clowns running the club. As mentioned by others, he fully earned it. Even the Glazers recognized he made them a fortune, what does saving 2m really achieves for a club like United?

I really dislike Ratcliffe. You'd think an English man who grew up supporting the club would know better. feck him.
People are listening to more media BS. Look at more creditable sources, he's stepping down from the role cause he's 83 and can no longer manage the demands. His decision frees up 2 million and that's it....
SaF will be there on Sunday as he still retains his status on the board with all the privileges that he deserves...

Classless clowns running the club. As mentioned by others, he fully earned it. Even the Glazers recognized he made them a fortune, what does saving 2m really achieves for a club like United?

I really dislike Ratcliffe. You'd think an English man who grew up supporting the club would know better. feck him.
So do I. we couldn't have been bought by a worse owner. He is just an English Glazer. Nice fc are also shit and have managed feck all since he bought them.

People are listening to more media BS. Look at more creditable sources, he's stepping down from the role cause he's 83 and can no longer manage the demands. His decision frees up 2 million and that's it....
SaF will be there on Sunday as he still retains his status on the board with all the privileges that he deserves...
Bollocks. Where is SAF's announcement then?, If it is his decision, and he is stepping down he would have made an announcement. Before the news of his sacking

Is sky credible ?
Club sources said there was no acrimony over the decision, with Sir Jim having met Ferguson in person to say the club could no longer sustain the ambassador payments

Sir Alex Ferguson to leave Man Utd ambassador role amid club's cost-cutting drive

Yeah but haters gonna hate? And the media LOVE a United story… saves them doing any real work.

For those who like/are yet unsure of Ratcliffe, it saves £2m a year, SAF agreed with it, he still goes to games (his passion) and they guys 83…. for the Ratcliffe haters, it’s scandalous, the money is peanuts, something something Brexit, something.

Bollocks. Where is SAF's announcement then?, If it is his decision, and he is stepping down he would have made an announcement. Before the news of his sacking
There has been no official announcement full stop from anyone. If he's been sacked, you think this proud Scotsman will be in the stand on Saturday? Let's see shall we...

He's not stepping down from anything. This ambassadorial role he had didn't demand anything of him. It was just meant to honor him and reward him for his impact on the club.

Fergie loves the club and would never make this sound negative, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend that he wanted this. This did not come from him.

Yeah but haters gonna hate? And the media LOVE a United story… saves them doing any real work.

For those who like/are yet unsure of Ratcliffe, it saves £2m a year, SAF agreed with it, he still goes to games (his passion) and they guys 83…. for the Ratcliffe haters, it’s scandalous, the money is peanuts, something something Brexit, something.
Absolutely

Credible......are you for real? If you listened to sky, we'd have signed 200 players over the summer.
You'll be quoting Talk Sport next....
This is not transfer speculation. Had there been any wrong reporting by the them, both the club and Sir Alex would jump to correct it. Get real or stop trying to wum or whatever it is you are badly attempting.

Which credible source are you referring to?

Because The Athletic broke the story and are typically regarded as among the most credible sources, and their journalist seems pretty explicit in this being an INEOS cut rather than SAF stepping down due to age.

This is not transfer speculation. Had there been any wrong reporting by the them, both the club and Sir Alex would jump to correct it. Get real or stop trying to wum or whatever it is you are badly attempting.
fecking Sky isn't credible for one. If the club was to jump on every speculation like idiot fans seem to like to consume, they'd do nothing else.

Wum? Too old and wise to waste my time with that childish behaviour.

Anyone thinks that Sir Jim is sacking his personal and life long friend for 2m amongst all the shitshow that's happening, need their head looking at.

Even if it was true, they fecking wouldn't do it now.....

fecking Sky isn't credible for one. If the club was to jump on every speculation like idiot fans seem to like to consume, they'd do nothing else.

Wum? Too old and wise to waste my time with that childish behaviour.

Anyone thinks that Sir Jim is sacking his personal and life long friend for 2m amongst all the shitshow that's happening, need their head looking at.

Even if it was true, they fecking wouldn't do it now.....
Yet that's exactly what happened. And his personal life long friend appears so far that is OK with it. Because you know why? It's just business. Also why don't you provide the so called credible reporting that Sir Alex is the one stepping down by his own volition ?

So far these guys are looking like that new manager brought into a workplace, looking to make their stamp on the place, and changing loads of needless stuff in the grand scheme of things. Even though they're potentially doing more damage. And at the same time they're ignoring the glaring issues for whatever reason.

You could forgive one or two questionable things but it seems like everything they've done so far has raised eyebrows.

Yet that's exactly what happened. And his personal life long friend appears so far that is OK with it. Because you know why? It's just business. Also why don't you provide the so called credible reporting that Sir Alex is the one stepping down by his own volition ?
I'm not suggesting that SAF retired from the position, but there is a big difference between not renewing a contract and being sacked.

The man is not paid for his services. It's his pension and thank you for his dedication and creating a behemoth of a club we know today. Businesses pays celebrity millions just to have their name attached to the brand

The 2M is not for him going to office and attending meeting and it has been agreed upon by the previous deal. It's his right contractually by law. If he agreed to let it go it's to his big heartedness, he doesnt need the money he's rich and let's face it how long has he got left to spent it, but it's a fecking slap in the face in the age of 83 to be sacked unceremoniously to "save cost"

And the amount of disrespect in the social media on SAF is sickening, you can agree with the decision but "stealing a living", greedy, etc. This is Alex Ferguson we're talking about

20 million quid spread across a decade is one hell of a golden handshake.

You can’t keep that going forever. He was already a very wealthy man before he retired. He has a net worth of 53 million.

He’s not exactly destitute.

20 million quid spread across a decade is one hell of a golden handshake.

You can’t keep that going forever. He was already a very wealthy man before he retired. He has a net worth of 53 million.

He’s not exactly destitute.
Lets not forget if you are letting 250 staff go who probably haven't got 53m in the bank, then morally it's right to explore all avenues.

It's alleged he gets around 150k for attending each utd sponsorship events, he'll be ok....

It's too easy. Not a fan of the word 'haters' , but this is sure haters gonna hate, and follow media looking for clicks like sheep.

Right when I saw this news you could easily have written half the comments on this thread immediately.

I love the Great Man as much as anyone and I'm not going to be mad at the club about this move.

The media is ABU and playing to reactionary fans.

As a club ambassador, Sir Alex's presence at the numerous functions, PR events, even helping to draw in sponsors and the media attention, probably indirectly generates (or increases) more than the 2 million he gets paid.
And Ineos and the Glazers know that already. So the real reason is something else

As far as I understand, they tried not to disrupt the club too much by not sacking the manager, so they went ahead and lay off hundreds of average workers and the club legend who works as an ambassador. Makes sense if you ask me.

Last edited:
INEOS is not so much different from Glazers actually. I mean they axed a man who made the club at 2Mil per year. Now even if they spend that 2 mil per year, you can't get the goodwill back. Idiots. You expected meaningful changes in the club and this is what they did in that emergency exec meeting? I think they pay ETH more than the 2 mil they save by cancelling SAF contract? The morons, im fuming.

Fair enough. He’s 82, still a director and a very wealthy man, we don’t need to be giving him 2m a year for goodwill or whatever it is he’s been doing.

10 years on 2 mil a year for vibez is good money in anyone’s book

It's intriguing to me the loyalty The Glazers showed SAF. Then I remember he never criticized them. Got his golden handshake and the club fell apart.

He will forever be a legend, but he supported the leaches at every step.

It's about time they did this, in fact its well overdue.

One thing that's really bugged me about SAF since he stepped down and for me tarnished his legacy is his refusal to even utter a word about the mismanagement of the club by the Glazers. We've been through the gutter in the last decade and the biggest figure in the clubs history, a man some fans practically worship, has kept silent.

I put that down to being on the Glazers payroll and not wanting to jeopardize that income.

His words hold a lot of weight and now hes not getting paid to keep quiet, maybe he'll have a few words to say which will help push the Glazers further out.
Ronaldo came out speaking the “truth” and got lambasted by fans for rocking the boat. Maybe Fergie foresaw that and kept silent?

Club needs to develop a good morale and winning culture again,things like this and cancelling xmas parties is only adding to the toxic atmosphere and image of the club. It's needless. If fergie had stepped back I'm sure he'd have released a statement beforehand to stop of negative PR going towards his beloved club. But he didn't,therefore I assume the idea was brought to him. Inos rocking the boat for 2m a year. Pathetic. Although it maybe opens the door to get roy keane in to kick some of the wasters in the squad into shape.

Perhaps SJR and SAF have a disagreement with the current manager situation and this is the result of said fallout? I guess we'll never know, but I do know that it doesn't make sense to give a clueless manager 40 times as much as this saves to p!ss away on equally useless players

It´s not like he needs the money, he is extremely rich, probably a billionaire. He is still going to go to games, and he is still a legend.

The decision is one thing, but the way they've let it play out is another. Half the posts on here a guessing at reasons, postulating conspiracies and taking the 'worst possible answer'.

A smarter organisation would have made that impossible.

"SAF is the greatest manager in history, a man that has done more for this football club than anyone and will rightly be revered as a legend here forever. After some great discussions with Sir Alex, we both agreed that it makes more sense to let him enjoy his time without the burden of official duties and we can't wait to see him celebrating our next victory inside OT."

Lets not forget if you are letting 250 staff go who probably haven't got 53m in the bank, then morally it's right to explore all avenues.

It's alleged he gets around 150k for attending each utd sponsorship events, he'll be ok....

Exactly this. People are going over the top on this, SAF is not short of money.

INEOS are looking at the overhead schedule and are right to streamline, cut costs.

People who say, oh cutting £2m but how will they pay for a stadium show a clear lack of understanding how a business operates. This is how most successful businesses operate, have a lean workforce and focus on productivity.

The decision is one thing, but the way they've let it play out is another. Half the posts on here a guessing at reasons, postulating conspiracies and taking the 'worst possible answer'.

A smarter organisation would have made that impossible.

"SAF is the greatest manager in history, a man that has done more for this football club than anyone and will rightly be revered as a legend here forever. After some great discussions with Sir Alex, we both agreed that it makes more sense to let him enjoy his time without the burden of official duties and we can't wait to see him celebrating our next victory inside OT."
Or something along the lines of " we love alex, he's the best ever,we therefore have decided to let him enjoy his weekends and stop being laid to watch this dutch clowns tripe"

I don't know how to feel about this. I think Bayern still pay fecking Hoeness even though he does more harm than good. Its a weird look for the club and doesn't make Jim look any less of a cnut than before.

Rather stupid from them. Could have just slashed his pay substantially to avoid most of the scrutiny.

Wonder if this means Sir Alex is free to air his actual views. Have always wondered what he’d be like in a studio (other than foreign viewers requiring subtitles).

Now that SAF will be rocking up to United in moth-eaten trackies, he doesn’t have to toe the party line from INEOS. (Would probably back the Glazers though, seeing as they’ve dished him £22m over 11 years).

Interesting move all round.