Gaming Silent Hill 2 (Remake) - 08 October 2024 (87 on Metacritic, suck it Alock1)

I heard they really made use of the PS5's pad (at last, seems developers are using this!). Anyone confirm?

Anyone got the ps5 disc version and finding really really noisy? The disc that is.

In a series of tweets, Silent Hill 2 director Masashi Tsuboyama began by saying he is “very happy” about the remake and how a new generation will get to play the horror classic. “It's been 23 years,” he said. “Even if you don't know the original, you can just enjoy the remake as it is. Whether it's good or bad doesn't affect the original.”
Tsuboyama went on to discuss the change in camera perspective from the original’s limited camera to the remake’s modern over-the-shoulder camera perspective. This change — debated by fans in the context of the original tank controls’ crucial role in Silent Hill 2’s famously oppressive atmosphere — has a “significant impact” on everything from combat to level design, and even art creation. “While the impact on the story may be relatively small, it brings a big change to the playfeel of the game,” he added.
It sounds like Tsuboyama has come down in favor of the switch, saying: “The over-the-shoulder view definitely adds to the sense of realism. In other words, it makes me want to try playing the even more immersive remake of Silent Hill 2.”

I think it's fair to say that the change from static background and tank controls is a fantastic move. The game looks beautiful and is really immersive from what I've seen.

Genuinely finding it terrifying, I can’t play for an extended period because the anxiety if through the roof.

It looks decent enough to me.

The radio static also comes through the controller which is a nice touch but a little annoying after a while.

Nice! ended up going for it on PC and the optimization isn't as bad as I feared, running it at almost native 4K with minimal stutters. Incredible remake, worth every penny so far.

Genuinely finding it terrifying, I can’t play for an extended period because the anxiety if through the roof.
Love it. That was the magic of the original. RE was the action survival horror but SH was the horror survival horror that was actually creepy as feck.

I must have completed the original 4-5 times back in 2001-2002, it was one of my favourite games, and this remake is absolutely terrifying, I'm loving it, in a masochistic kinda way.

The tension, unnerving atmosphere, and insanely good sound design is killing me, never have I needed to take frequent breaks from playing a game like I have with this remake, and I've only just done the Blue Creek Apartments.

No game comes close to the terror in this, Original Silent Hill games, P.T, Dead Space, Outlast, Soma, Amnesia, RE Series, Alien Isolation, are all a cake walk in comparison.

I’m tempted to get this as I never played the original but the only thing holding me back is that I have not played the first Silent Hill game so not sure how to play a sequel to that one when I won’t know what’s going on story wise.

Seems to be sold out in a lot of places in the U.K. They must’ve made a ridiculously low number of physical copies because I don’t recall that ever happening before.

I’m tempted to get this as I never played the original but the only thing holding me back is that I have not played the first Silent Hill game so not sure how to play a sequel to that one when I won’t know what’s going on story wise.

I believe the stories are unrelated but i've never played either before myself.

I must have completed the original 4-5 times back in 2001-2002, it was one of my favourite games, and this remake is absolutely terrifying, I'm loving it, in a masochistic kinda way.

The tension, unnerving atmosphere, and insanely good sound design is killing me, never have I needed to take frequent breaks from playing a game like I have with this remake, and I've only just done the Blue Creek Apartments.

No game comes close to the terror in this, Original Silent Hill games, P.T, Dead Space, Outlast, Soma, Amnesia, RE Series, Alien Isolation, are all a cake walk in comparison.

So far its easy to see where Alan Wake 2 got its inspiration from. Im forced to take break though because i managed to knock and destroy my huge and expensive telly which i hadnt fastened to a wall since i just moved. I feel like such a wimp though when playing it. I want to put it down because of the oppressive atmosphere but always want to see where to go next. Ive taken quire a lot of damage and health items stil feel pretty sparse compared to Alan wake 2 and resident evil games.

So far its easy to see where Alan Wake 2 got its inspiration from. Im forced to take break though because i managed to knock and destroy my huge and expensive telly which i hadnt fastened to a wall since i just moved. I feel like such a wimp though when playing it. I want to put it down because of the oppressive atmosphere but always want to see where to go next. Ive taken quire a lot of damage and health items stil feel pretty sparse compared to Alan wake 2 and resident evil games.

I wish those cheap jump scares in Alan Wake 2 would feck off, I’d love to pick it back up

I got round to picking this up today, physical on the PS5. I'm currently downloading it on steam now, I just can't handle terrible fps and extreme motion blur/dof anymore :lol:

It looks like the haptics work on PC with the controller wired, so best of both worlds.

I got round to picking this up today, physical on the PS5. I'm currently downloading it on steam now, I just can't handle terrible fps and extreme motion blur/dof anymore :lol:

It looks like the haptics work on PC with the controller wired, so best of both worlds.

So you bought it on 2 platforms?

So you bought it on 2 platforms?
Yes, but on PC it was £40 and my missus will play it on the PS5 anyway so it's not as big a waste as it sounds.

It was just giving me a headache on the big tv with such awful settings. I guess It's been a while for me playing anything like this on the consoles, and I'm not used to slumming it ;)

Nice! ended up going for it on PC and the optimization isn't as bad as I feared, running it at almost native 4K with minimal stutters. Incredible remake, worth every penny so far.
The PS5 version is absolute trash by comparison.

As a remake, I'm finding it well done. I'm not quite sure why some are shitting themselves over it though (apart from Elvis, we all know he's a little bitch), so far it's tame. I'm hoping it gets way more creepy.

Is there a way to your keys in the inventory? I can't. There are key items but not keys.

Anyway im playing this on a old small 1080 p telly and it became considerably less scary. My new telly is only arriving on Thursday, but i think i will be done by then. Dunno if I'll do another playthrough.

As a remake, I'm finding it well done. I'm not quite sure why some are shitting themselves over it though (apart from Elvis, we all know he's a little bitch), so far it's tame. I'm hoping it gets way more creepy.

Since that post I've actually had some stuttering happen here and there, using a 3080. Not awful by any means but dropping down 5 or so frames in areas which aren't even demanding. How's it running for you?

In terms of scariness, agreed. It's more along the lines of Alan Wake than Resident Evil.

Since that post I've actually had some stuttering happen here and there, using a 3080. Not awful by any means but dropping down 5 or so frames in areas which aren't even demanding. How's it running for you?

In terms of scariness, agreed. It's more along the lines of Alan Wake than Resident Evil.
Nothing too drastic in terms of drops, but it's not amazing performance wise. I'm getting a solid 70-80 with everything maxed at 1440p. Some indoor areas are strangely worse than others, especially stairwells. I think the shadowing is the issue.

I have had the haptic dropping issue, but moving the mouse seems to fix it. I might go to keyboard/mouse now though anyway since the guns are in play.

Everyone has a different threshhold for horror. But from what I recall, back in the day, Silent Hill was much much scarier and creepier than Resident Evil for example. Although RE7 was great in this regard to be fair.

Everyone has a different threshhold for horror. But from what I recall, back in the day, Silent Hill was much much scarier and creepier than Resident Evil for example. Although RE7 was great in this regard to be fair.
Absolutely, the originals were creepy as hell. Especially SH1 and the school. Though to be fair, I've not yet got to the hospital, I remember that being nerve shredding.

I don't think it's lack of effort in this, I think it's more that it's so polished it's hard to be as dark and scary as the originals with their low poly count models and low res textures which undoubtedly added to the dread. If that makes sense.

It's a very good remake so far, I actually prefer it compared to what they did with RE4. Hopefully we do get a remake of the others, even if they have to rework 1 to avoid the school/nurses parts which will upset certain folk.

Nothing too drastic in terms of drops, but it's not amazing performance wise. I'm getting a solid 70-80 with everything maxed at 1440p. Some indoor areas are strangely worse than others, especially stairwells. I think the shadowing is the issue.

I have had the haptic dropping issue, but moving the mouse seems to fix it. I might go to keyboard/mouse now though anyway since the guns are in play.

Same resolution here, tried 1600p also and it's not too bad. You're bang on though, shadowing is the issue, turning it to the low setting almost locks it to 60fps. Problem is the low shadow setting looks a bit rough.

I don't know why I'm even playing this. I'm shit with horror games and this has me on edge all the time. Torturing myself.

Finished Bluecreek and it's boss fight.

Very enjoyable, glad to be back outside now so that I can actually fecking see.

How comparable is this to f.e.a.r in anxiety while playing level?
It's a different vibe all together, so hard to judge.

I think with F.E.A.R it's creepy and has that horror vibe but you have the guns to still take it as a shooter, plus there's enemies everywhere and it doesn't try too hard with the cheap jump scares. With Silent Hill, it's supposed to be more about horror survival so should raise the anxiety levels somewhat, but there's also a hell of a lot of emptiness and no encounters at all...

...that being said, one of the biggest flaws for me (which is also probably a huge benefit to others, and I don't mean that as a negative comment as some comparative games can be very tedious on that front) is that the ammo/health is literally everywhere. So it might ramp up the scary at times, you are never really outnumbered enough to go into full panic, you always have bullets and definitely always health.

Overall though, I'd say if you have anxiety playing fear, you will double that playing this. But you have to remember, there's also the fraction of the actual enemies and scares in this than there was in fear so it's a different kind of scary. If that makes sense.

Anyone else experience a slight lag despite being on performance mode on Ps5