2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bobski

Made 0 tackles, 0 interceptions and 13 less passes than Mainoo when he came off in the 71st minute. He did have 1 dribble to Mainoo's 0 and he won 3 aerials

Very nice run to convert an easy goal and then tried hard not to do anything for the next 97 minutes. Didnt compete for the ball on the ground and barely played the ball
I think you are being overly harsh especially given that he was clearly struggling with his mobility in the second half. Made lots of run forward in the first and then almost none in the second, really should have come off at around an hour if there was an option on the bench.

Ekeke

I think you are being overly harsh especially given that he was clearly struggling with his mobility in the second half. Made lots of run forward in the first and then almost none in the second, really should have come off at around an hour if there was an option on the bench.
His mobility is always an issue

Making runs up front isnt helping midfield

Bobski

Was he also told not to make any tackles or interceptions and not to do anything with the ball? Tell me so I can tell Ten Hag about that as well.
No, you can blame Scott for that, but he did complete 59/66 passes, some of which were fairly decent.

The Purley King

Roy Keane had it right after the game that he has a great knack of arriving late into the box and finishing things off.
Limited as a passer clearly but used correctly is a good squad option.
10 goals from open play as a cm is decent.

Roboc7

He was pretty crap other than the goal but that’s what he’s been like all season. His finishing and runs into the box have improved but still shocked at this stage of his career so little of the rest of his game has.

Ekeke

No, you can blame Scott for that, but he did complete 59/66 passes, some of which were fairly decent.
He played one nice switch to the left wing just into the 2nd half and it looked like he was going to actually improve and be decent that half. It went to hell after 72 mins when Mainoo came off and Coventry brought on Torp, Tavares and Binks.

Today was one of lots of matches where McTominay plays one nice switch of play. Theres no reason he couldnt have played another couple especially after that one was successful. He also impeded attacking moves by being too slow to choose a good option, lack of properly bringing the ball under control when he had it so he could move it and was dispossessed twice. I have a vague memory of a pass that was frustrating too, but I dont recall it clearly so that may or may not be a thing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There was a point in the game all we needed to do was keep possession and he pinged it at Bruno, head height. Unless he is turning circles with the ball, he hasn't got a clue how to hold onto the ball.

That being said, he is a master at timing those runs into the box, so fair play.

Alemar

10th goal of the season today. But absolutely invisible apart from goal - did he even play?

Ekeke

There was a point in the game all we needed to do was keep possession and he pinged it at Bruno, head height. Unless he is turning circles with the ball, he hasn't got a clue how to hold onto the ball.

That being said, he is a master at timing those runs into the box, so fair play.
Thats the pass I was thinking of. Thanks for that

NoPace

10th goal of the season today. But absolutely invisible apart from goal - did he even play?
I know teams are smarter now, but surely we're never gonna get a better chance to sell him at maximum value than this summer, at 27 years old with 2 years left on his contract and coming off a season in which he scored a Lampard-esque 17 goals in 51 games for club and country.

Cloud7

This might be controversial, but I think there is some merit in keeping McT around. He is far from the quality we need in a starting midfielder, and indeed he should not be a starter for us going forward, but he clearly has an eye for goal and doesn't seem like someone who would kick up a fuss if he were relegated to a sub role. I think he would be worth keeping around to bring off the bench if we're looking for a goal and are willing to sacrifice some control

Ole'sgunnarwin

He's the most un-central midfielder central midfielder I've ever seen. He knows how to get on the end of things on the box. Controlling the game, passing, tackling, winning duals etc. He hasn't a clue. Fred was a lot better than him at that stuff (not saying he was good enough either)

The Purley King

This might be controversial, but I think there is some merit in keeping McT around. He is far from the quality we need in a starting midfielder, and indeed he should not be a starter for us going forward, but he clearly has an eye for goal and doesn't seem like someone who would kick up a fuss if he were relegated to a sub role. I think he would be worth keeping around to bring off the bench if we're looking for a goal and are willing to sacrifice some control
My thoughts as well.
He is limited yes but if we need a goal with 20 to go he’s a good option off the bench.
He just makes the right sort of late run into the box that is very hard to pick up.

Cloud7

My thoughts as well.
He is limited yes but if we need a goal with 20 to go he’s a good option off the bench.
He just makes the right sort of late run into the box that is very hard to pick up.
Yeah exactly. Keep him far away from the starting lineup, but we could do worse than throwing him on if we're chasing a game. Also replacing him in the squad costs money, which could be better directed elsewhere.

NZT-One

Roy Keane had it right after the game that he has a great knack of arriving late into the box and finishing things off.
Limited as a passer clearly but used correctly is a good squad option.
10 goals from open play as a cm is decent.
It would be decent if those 10 goals would be partnered with at least average midfield performances. Which McTom usually doesn't deliver. Whether that is because of instructions or abilities, lets not get into that but as a team we aren't at a point in our development circle, where we can afford having players around who only contribute so little. Even if goals are obviously important. Not like we would be worse off (big picture wise) without his goals anyway.

Just no.

For all of you who follow the Fergie train of thought that it is good to have utility players around - yes it is good to have them but it is bad if half the team consists of them. If we had a functional first team, I support your idea, but as we are far away from it, we have to be smart. And smart means plan for the future which means get as many funds in for players who have no long term future with us to buy players who at least might have the potential to be starters for a competitive Manchester United team.

Jingaling7

fans who want him to stay, even as a squad option cant ever complain that we are as bad as we are.

abysmal player, always has been and always will be.

if the club is to be the team of old we need to sell him ( among many others ) but he is part of the problem, gets used WAY too much.. which is why the manager needs to go

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

Yeah exactly. Keep him far away from the starting lineup, but we could do worse than throwing him on if we're chasing a game. Also replacing him in the squad costs money, which could be better directed elsewhere.
People keep saying this but the fact is he is a regular starter and when he is on the bench for the odd game he’s the go to sub who comes on with 20 to 30 minutes to go. That makes him one of our most prominent players. Just because he’s had one season when he has scored a few goals doesn’t make him a consistent scorer. He’s never done it in any other season and there’s absolutely no guarantee that he will ever do it again. Apart from his few goals he contributes absolutely zilch as he just lacks basic ability. If he was playing for someone else and we were trying to sign him how would people feel about that?

Bobski

People keep saying this but the fact is he is a regular starter and when he is on the bench for the odd game he’s the go to sub who comes on with 20 to 30 minutes to go. That makes him one of our most prominent players. Just because he’s had one season when he has scored a few goals doesn’t make him a consistent scorer. He’s never done it in any other season and there’s absolutely no guarantee that he will ever do it again. Apart from his few goals he contributes absolutely zilch as he just lacks basic ability. If he was playing for someone else and we were trying to sign him how would people feel about that?
This is true, but also true is that he has never played in an attacking role in any other season, for Utd or Scotland.

17 goals from open play in 52 games, (36 starts) this season is no small achievement for all his flaws.

jem

This is true, but also true is that he has never played in an attacking role in any other season, for Utd or Scotland.

17 goals from open play in 52 games, (36 starts) this season is no small achievement for all his flaws.
He’s scored 17 goals this season?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Could we be treated to an actual midfield this evening? Or will he be starting?

Man Utd 4:2 Sheffield Utd New

Cantona’s Kung Fu Kick

I don’t really care what he does or doesn’t do for Scotland but I take your point. However, I would say I don’t really buy the excuse that it’s only been this season he’s played in an advanced role which is why he has started scoring. As I’ve pointed out before Steve Bruce once managed 13 goals from centre half. So far there is zero evidence that this is not just a purple patch like Rashford last season and that next year if he’s still here and being used - God I hope not - that he’s even capable of doing it again.

Bobski

Is that the same knee he hyper-extended at Chelsea?

Left foot planted, tries to turn and shoot at a very tight angle, studs may have been trapped so a ton of force through the ligaments of his knee.

eire-red

Looked like he did his ACL. A very awkward twisting action and you could see by his reaction he knows it's a bad one.

bstb3

Hopefully it's just a sore one and not so bad, but his reaction seemed more of despair than immediate hurt. Fingers crossed for him, would be a real shame if he missed the Euros having done so much to get Scotland there.