Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is better than Case, but not exactly the guy to bring us to glory

Fair enough, Castles mentioned this last week. I think he’s a bit underrated, he will stand in that hole we have in front of the back 4 and his passing is good. Shouldn’t pay a fortune for him however

Not exactly an inspiring target but at least he's not totally broken down or a child.

We could do with a squad player who would be a good foil for Bruno/Mainoo/Mount. Someone rarely injured, physical, aerially capable and comfortable on the ball.

Berge wouldn't be a bad squad pickup at the right price. I'm just unsure on how slow he is?

I was going to come in and whinge but then I remember laughing when Liverpool signed Andy Robertson and Wijnaldum.

If he’s been identified as a decent option then let’s wait and see.

I like Sander, he looks impressive when he glides around the pitch with his long legs. But not sure i have ever felt he has the quality to play for us. Seems way to slow and errorprone.

The saddest thing is he probably has a decent chance considering our current midfield options.

We could do with a squad player who would be a good foil for Bruno/Mainoo/Mount. Someone rarely injured, physical, aerially capable and comfortable on the ball.

Berge wouldn't be a bad squad pickup at the right price. I'm just unsure on how slow he is?

Aye, he's not a terrible player, good on the ball, good tackler, and can cover the ground. Probably better than Amrabat anyway.

I take most of these links as not happening. I'll file this one in there too.

Who wants to genuinely claim that this guy was on our list of 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice options for each position?

Why is there a picture of Arne Slot in the tweet? Have they got two white bald men mixed up

He has recorded a 40 meter dash in 4.68 seconds. He's actually very fast and carries the ball very well.

Why is there a picture of Arne Slot in the tweet? Have they got two white bald men mixed up

It's a link to the Athletic's "Deal Sheet" transfer page, it covers the whole Premier League. Whitwell is just tweeting out the link and highlighting the United related content.

I like Sander, he looks impressive when he glides around the pitch with his long legs. But not sure i have ever felt he has the quality to play for us. Seems way to slow and errorprone.

The saddest thing is he probably has a decent chance considering our current midfield options.

I don't think he's the best player in the world, but he's a strong, physical player that will provide us with an option on set-pieces in attack and defense. Slow he is definitely not. Fastest player at Genk back in the days, 4,68 seconds 40 yard dash and says that his pace and acceleration are his greatest attributes, but he agrees that he looks slow because of his frame and his long strides, which he also think gives him an advantage because opposition teams underestimate him.

We're a transition team. The midfielders need to just get it forward quickly.
Which the players we are linked to can’t do. Ironically, if you want to get it forward quickly, you need even better footballers than teams who are loaded with grunts.

Madrid being the epitome of it the past couple of years, using Kroos (the foremost passer in the game) as the conduit and facilitator.

Is he any worse than Amrabat i suppose is the question. If he's coming in to replace that role of backup then I care little.

Jose was trying to sign him for fenerbahce, not sure if that's a good or bad sign.

Rated him as quite promising a few years ago, but hard to judge what he's truly capable of and what level he could potentially reach when he's been playing at lower table PL clubs for so long.

I get the sulking, but he's potentially an interesting signing. It is a punt of sorts though, far from a sure thing. It's not a sexy or exciting name, that's for sure. But it could be a shrewd bit of business.

As our one midfield signing though? Bit yikes.

My main issue with our midfield is the lack of legs / mobility since we let Fred go - Berge is hardly going to help with that. Assuming he's coming in as a squad option, I'd prefer Collyer to get those minutes - but happy to be proved wrong.

Which the players we are linked to can’t do. Ironically, if you want to get it forward quickly, you need even better footballers than teams who are loaded with grunts.

Madrid being the epitome of it the past couple of years, using Kroos (the foremost passer in the game) as the conduit and facilitator.

True that. If you study Carrick, he mostly played the ball forward on his second touch. He got an undeserved reputation for taking too long on the ball, whereas in reality he mostly used two touches to get the ball to the next player. I doubt Sander Berge can play that role, but if he can quickly give the ball to Mainoo for instance, then it can work.

My main issue with our midfield is the lack of legs / mobility since we let Fred go - Berge is hardly going to help with that. Assuming he's coming in as a squad option, I'd prefer Collyer to get those minutes - but happy to be proved wrong.

Yeah, except that he is very fast both short and long distances and mobile.

Is Ole still managing us? :confused:

Has Berge shown to be a very good player in the last 3 years since we got linked with him the last time? Not sure. He is alright and on a free would be worth it to replace Amrabat. But i think we need more, he should not be our main midfield signing.

Opinions on Berge from a Burnley forum:

In relation to Berge specifically, there was some unjustified negativity thrown his way from SUFC fans following his transfer but some of the more reasoned criticism, such as his tendency to drift in and out of games, I do see and get that tbh and I'm not sure I would want us spending 25 - 30m on him were I a PL team or one that's just been promoted. He is quality and I do like him a lot though.

Each to their own...I think Cullen is more important to our Champ prospects than Berge.

it's not just about goals/assists with Berge, especially as he's played deeper in games. It's more about watching us play and seeing how important he is.

Berge is literally massive for us on defensive set pieces

I rate Sander going forward but defending is not his primary strength.

I'd prefer to double Berge's (Championship) salary and keep him in all honesty. He's only 26, stick a new 4 year deal on the table!

Berge gave the ball a way a few times deep in our own half - a few of which directly resulted in decent chances for the opposition but having a manager that doesn't employ suicide tactics for 90 minutes then that sort of stuff (similar to what I posted about Muric) will get cut out.

I hope we aren’t actively pursuing a sale.

Berge is simply not good enough for a side that has aspirations of getting back into the top 4, if that is indeed what they are aiming for.

The fact is that Berge has been around for a number of years now. He's frequently been linked with big moves elsewhere but none have materialised.

I firmly believe that's because he has found his level. That's not to say he's a poor player, because he isn't. It wasn't hard to stand out in our team last year, but as my first manager told me (who, tbf wasn't known for her motivational skills), there's no pride in being the top of a pile of sh*t.

Seems strange that Man Utd seem willing to offload Scott McTominay and replace him with Sander Berge.

I obviously hope he doesn’t go, he’ll be excellent in this division

True that. If you study Carrick, he mostly played the ball forward on his second touch. He got an undeserved reputation for taking too long on the ball, whereas in reality he mostly used two touches to get the ball to the next player. I doubt Sander Berge can play that role, but if he can quickly give the ball to Mainoo for instance, then it can work.
Carrick’s only hesitancy was in his head as he’d sum up options before making the pass - he wasn’t as assured as others in immediately knowing what the optimal pass was - like Scholes - but he had it in him to progress effortlessly inside two touches off of either foot or either side of his body; we’re not going to get anything like him this window, and scouring the game, it seems there’s only a few players with that ability active.

What is concerning is the players we are linked to are not good footballers and if you’re relying on them for rock solid ball progression you’re setting them and the team up for failure. By the looks of things, we’ve turned Mainoo into a single point failure who is going to have to do far too much work in midfield by himself in terms of progressing the play. Other sides have 3, 4 even 5 points of progression in deep midfield. We have 1, plus however long Martinez is fit for.

It’s been the biggest disappointment of the window that we’ve done nothing to address that and are linked to substandard midfielders going into the latter stages of the transfer window. As things stand, Mainoo injured or simply off form, and we’re in serious trouble.

I don't think he's the best player in the world, but he's a strong, physical player that will provide us with an option on set-pieces in attack and defense. Slow he is definitely not. Fastest player at Genk back in the days, 4,68 seconds 40 yard dash and says that his pace and acceleration are his greatest attributes, but he agrees that he looks slow because of his frame and his long strides, which he also think gives him an advantage because opposition teams underestimate him.
I have seen him play in the prem quite a few times and he looks like a rolls royce midfielder from time to time. Then, just before i start to think he should be an option for us, he just causally gives the ball away and i start to wonder what he brings to the table a Fellaini or Schneiderlin could not, who clearly were a level below what we needed.

Personally think though our current midfield options are average at the very best, apart from Kobbie and Bruno, and i am probably being kind when using the word average. So yeah, all things considered, i think Sander is probably every bit as good an option right now as a Casemiro, Mctominay Eriksen or Collyer behind Kobbie and Bruno.

I have seen him play in the prem quite a few times and he looks like a rolls royce midfielder from time to time. Then, just before i start to think he should be an option for us, he just causally gives the ball away and i start to wonder what he brings to the table a Fellaini or Schneiderlin could not, who clearly were a level below what we needed.

Personally think though our current midfield options are average at the very best, apart from Kobbie and Bruno, and i am probably being kind when using the word average. So yeah, all things considered, i think Sander is probably every bit as good an option right now as a Casemiro, Mctominay Eriksen or Collyer behind Kobbie and Bruno.
If our ambition is to finish where we just did. If we are serious about at least being a CL team, is this really the kind of player we should be linked to?

Erm….nowhere near good enough is about as polite as I can be.

What in the feck is going on

Judging from the video. This guy ain't it. Lots of back passing and sideways passing.
Sometimes you need players that can keep it simple, we've got players that can create but we need this sort of player that can recycle possession when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.