Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

I'm taken back seeing pessimism on this level, I think I'm pretty bad for it, but doing much better than Rangnick must be a certainty? I'd fancy even Southgate could do better than that.

It's a fair point that we've no goalscorer, bring back the days of stop gap striker signings.
It all went to shit for Rangnick in his final two months. Before that he was doing a decent job. Not great, but certainly better than how it seems to be remembered.

It will be crazy to end up with Ruud after a few games into the season after deciding to stick with ten Hag because they felt the alternatives weren't a big enough improvement.

There’s absolutely nothing in his coaching history to suggest he should be Man Utd manager, other than his status as a United legend and proximity. I feel like we’ve been here before.

Just ask the many big brains we brought in over the summer to identify the best person for the job. If that happens to be RVN - it won’t - then yay for nostalgia. Otherwise, stop dicking around trying to get the band back together.
100%.

We have “best in class” back room structure now, so why is Ruud being touted for arguably the most important role in a club?

If we’re getting rid of ETH, we should be doing all that’s possible to bring in a top end manager that is attainable. We’re still an attractive club for an ambitious manager. Who wouldn't want to be the one to wake the sleeping giant? As mentioned, we have started to put the structure in place for success.

No more gambles.

100%.

We have “best in class” back room structure now, so why is Ruud being touted for arguably the most important role in a club?

If we’re getting rid of ETH, we should be doing all that’s possible to bring in a top end manager that is attainable. We’re still an attractive club for an ambitious manager. Who wouldn't want to be the one to wake the sleeping giant? As mentioned, we have started to put the structure in place for success.

No more gambles.
The club needs to act like a big, professional club again and stop play around in nostalgia times. Get a top manager in and no more experiments

The club needs to act like a big, professional club again and stop play around in nostalgia times. Get a top manager in and no more experiments
If Ten Hag is sacked Ruud will most likely become interim manager. It’ll take weeks to find and agree a permanent manager.

I would be very averse to Ruud becoming caretaker/interim manager because all it would take is two wins in a row for the fanbase narrative to become "There's no outstanding candidates, give Ruud the job permanently!" and after the FA cup final I am wary of our upper management falling victim to these waves of fan drive narrative.

The logic people are using is “since RVN has been one of the best players in the world, has played for us before, hence he is the best option”. In fact, he has been part of this setup for a while and nothing I have seen from the striking department fills me with confidence. Our finishing has been as poor as ever.

Hugely respect the guy though. Was one of my favourite players.

I would be very averse to Ruud becoming caretaker/interim manager because all it would take is two wins in a row for the fanbase narrative to become "There's no outstanding candidates, give Ruud the job permanently!" and after the FA cup final I am wary of our upper management falling victim to these waves of fan drive narrative.

Exactly. I used to think that there is no way upper management are swayed by fan opinion - but then PSG and OGS happened, then Wembley and ETH happened...

They're coach. They're not magician.

At best they can set up drills that can over time improve players trait. Our fans seems to think that a good player maketh a good coach and somehow can magically turn turds to gold. It doesnt work that way.

Players like Rashford is 27 years old, he has his habit and playstyle built in for years and it takes more than Ruud with a few weeks to magically turn him into something else, and that's assuming he follows his instructions to the tee and Ruud actually has what it takes to identify his needs.

Not to mention coaches are the extension of the head coach (manager), he wants to play pressing will mean that coach will drill pressing. He wants to play long direct route on football will mean the training will be catered to such play. You can't expect miracles

Our habits as a fan is thinking young manager are magicians. They're not. Even in the rare case they're one they still need to gain respect and cooperation from the players. You'd think players like Bruno, Rashford and all would willingly follow young coach like McKenna and believe his method whilst bigger name fails?

Stop dreaming.

Our job is to help the manager, boo the lazy cnuts out and doing so giving the manager extra leverage when he needs to bench them. Enough with this support the team at all cost attitude, it certainly arent working the past 10 years and players are giving us half turd attitude on and off the pitch

It would make no sense to place him as interim for the entirety of the season when there’s no outstanding managerial candidate worth waiting a whole season for

Feels like there's a weird narrative being driven by the media to have him as coach. Don't know what's up with that.

Look, I love the guy, but no thanks. Already been down that road before. I'd rather just get a proper coach. And I could most definitely do without it being a Dutch one.

That is my major concern also.

Otherwise he actually would be fine as an interim. He is both a United and Dutch football legend, so likely wouldn’t encounter same problems as Ralf. He does not have charisma or language problems like EtH. And you don’t really need to be a great manager to be a good interim. We looked instantly better under Ole and Carrick as interims, none of whom are good managers at this level. So maybe I am biased as Ruud is my all-time favourite United player, but I think he would be alright as an interim (but ideally not till the end of the season but for a few weeks/months until a suitable permanent manager is found).

On the other hand, no way we should consider him for a permanent position. No matter how good he does as an interim. I did not follow his tenure at PSV closely but from what I understand from people who did - he did not really impress tactically and should have done a lot better (as he had a really strong squad for a Dutch club at his disposal).

But as you said, knowing our fans and seeing how INEOS stuck with EtH after FA Cup final, I really fear that they would hire Ruud full time if he does any good.

Feels like there's a weird narrative being driven by the media to have him as coach. Don't know what's up with that.

Look, I love the guy, but no thanks. Already been down that road before. I'd rather just get a proper coach. And I could most definitely do without it being a Dutch one.

We've not hired him before have we? Besides don't you want to sing 'Ruud Van Nistelrooy tra la la la.' every week?

I'm so against this. I love the guy, but this seems like a terrible idea and indicative of a terribly run football club.

With everything that's gone on in recent months, it would be inexcusable if INEOS didn't have a far more qualified shortlist of options who can step in and do the job, even if it is on an interim basis (though ideally not).

I will be very worried if they give to Ruud for the rest of the season. Not just because I'd be concerned about Ruud's capabilities, but also over what that would represent.

The only way I think its acceptable would be if Ten Hag gets sacked tomorrow and its given to Ruud literally for the Villa game.

Would not be surprised one bit if ten Hag's agency is behind that.
I saw this thought in the ETH thread as well, it's not news though, it was widely reported at the time that he had fallen out with the players and with his assistants. Something serious obviously happened he walked out with one more game of the season still to go.

If Ruud was interim for the rest of the season and did brilliantly I would happily have him as manager.

I didn’t feel the same about OGS because he wasn’t a strong enough character. Ruud is different.

If there was an obvious standout candidate for the job then things would be different, but there isn’t one.

I'd only welcome Ruud as interim if our target isn't willing to leave their club mid season.

And it means it's not Southgate.

Forget his ability to be our interim, why have we employed him at all if he's not very good at coaching? Is this SJR on a nostalgia trip or something? I hope Ole gets a job soon before we see him back here.

Ruud should be interim for however many weeks or even months it takes to get the right guy in, at best. I'd hope we don't bring him in and then think "job done till the summer" and move on. We need to be actively trying to bring somebody in that has the potential to do a good job. I'm not even saying they need to be guaranteed, because we know there's no guarantees. But an Amorim or somebody like that.

I personally am willing to give Ruud a chance, if only it means we can replace eth now. While waiting for ineos to find a proper permanent manager.

Not ideal, but i really think players already give up on eth.

Surely this is just the sort of thing the new leadership structure are going to avoid though? They've seen what's happened when we've made emotional decisions in the past e.g. Ole - surely they're going to have their head screwed on and get someone who is actually qualified for the job?

I personally am willing to give Ruud a chance, if only it means we can replace eth now. While waiting for ineos to find a proper permanent manager.

Not ideal, but i really think players already give up on eth.

I think they have but there's no reason at all to believe Ruud can cut it as a manager at any level

There’s absolutely nothing in his coaching history to suggest he should be Man Utd manager, other than his status as a United legend and proximity. I feel like we’ve been here before.

Just ask the many big brains we brought in over the summer to identify the best person for the job. If that happens to be RVN - it won’t - then yay for nostalgia. Otherwise, stop dicking around trying to get the band back together.
If you mean Ole, he was brilliant as an interim. The problem was picking him as a long term solution.