Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

First they need to occupy and control Luhansk. They are a long way from doing that.
They can just do what they did before, but now officially have Russia claim the occupied lands. I doubt they are precious enough about having to have every inch of Luhansk and Donetsk. Add a few gains like Mariupol and then bed in and create an indefinite front.

If Putin remains in power, I reckon that some or all of Russia's currently frozen gold and foreign exchange reserves - that's $300 billion in total - will be seized and given to Ukraine for post-war rebuilding.

With the state of the Russian equipment, I don't rule anything out.

But regardless, I feel we should defend the skies around Lviv from missiles only because we have the capability, we don't technically have to put a single boot on the warground and the area is fully populated with refugees.

No Russian soldiers are killed or wounded with us targeting missiles.
If NATO committed to defending Ukrainian territory, then you have handed Russia a means of probing NATO directly, and a pathway to escalation. That's an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

Yes, we can make deals with brutal dictators when we have to, but there's a limit to this that Putin has now crossed big time. No previous Russian/USSR leader since the end of WWII has invaded and waged war on a sovereign European country, razing entire cities to to ground in the process. There were previous crushings of uprisings within the USSR - e.g. the Hungarian uprising of 1956 - but these were nothing like what we're now seeing, and the countries concerned were not at the time free and independent states.

This is a watershed event. It needs to be recognised as such. There can be no return to diplomatic deals with Russia until regime change occurs.

I agree. Putin's posture towards the West was aggressive and disruptive even before this. He cannot be trusted and so long as he is in power, he is a danger to European security. There's no normal relations with Russia until he is gone. However, we can take that one at a time - his removal doesn't does not need to be a condition of peace between Ukraine and Russia. It should be a condition of normality between the West and Russia / an objective of western policy after this.

NATO anti missile systems will kick in should a missile enter polish airspace. 40 miles into another country isn't your airspace, it's that simple
This just doesn’t make sense. Why not 50 miles? Why not 100?

So far, as much criticism and pressure there has more been to ‘close the skies’ etc. NATO’s stance has been correct - stay completely on the sidelines but help as much as possible indirectly. Ukraine is having successes, far more than most thought possible, and Russia is already changing its Rhetoric about the war’s goals because of this.

Also modern missiles aren’t going to overshoot by 1 mile, let alone 40.
You shouldn't be surprised at all mate. If NATO defend one city 40 miles from Poland then what? Might as well defend a 20, 30, 40 mile radius around Lviv I assume?

Because that's what the Ukrainians will ask for and this war would escalate quickly.

No part of Ukraine is part of NATO so NATO can't intervene directly. Which is what deploying anti missile measures across the border from Poland would amount to.
The border is the border. I’m struggling to see the outrage and what you can’t grasp if I’m honest.
Do you want WW3? Cause this is how you get WW3.
If NATO committed to defending Ukrainian territory, then you have handed Russia a means of probing NATO directly, and a pathway to escalation. That's an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

Guys, I get why there's isn't a no fly zone all over Ukraine. Even if we wanted to, it's hard to implement where it is needed (Mariupol) because the skies there are protected by Russian AA batteries on their lands. No way are we bombing Russia.

I just think we can do more on the Western side though. There's a huge number of refugees on that side and it would be a damn shame for humanity if we can't even protect a small, tiny area of Ukrainian land. And we don't even need our planes or boots on the ground to do it.

I agree we are probably doing the right thing strategically and diplomatically by refusing as far as possible to get involved, but I feel I'm losing a bit of my humanity as each day goes on as we remain steadfastly inactive, and now we might not even protect civilians literally within eyeshot of us at the border.

It just doesn't 'feel' right.

Imagine having the 4th largest military budget on Earth and being this shit at war

Having the most nukes and a leader who rides around shirtless on horses helps to create the facade of toughness. Fortunately, we're seeing there's little meat on the bone beyond this perception.

I respect your point of view but I'm not part of any "we" that wants to use Ukraine so the US can fight a war of regime change and risk nuclear annihilation. He's 69 years of age, he has about five years left before he's removed by some internal mechanism anyway.

That is (and has been) their policy. I don't agree with it as a matter of diplomatic resolution. A geriatric Putin who shuffles off the stage by internal demand is preferable to this Putin being forced into a nuclear corner by US escalation. The point he makes is also true, the US has a terrible track record of regime change. Not in the moral sense, but in the sense of it actually going to plan. Look at Maduro whom the US have now had to recognise. If I thought this would without fail end in a flawless removal of Putin from office, I wouldn't have a problem with it. My problem is that I'm fairly certain it will not work and will prolong the war plus risk serious escalation from which there will be no return.

This has obviously been very serious from the beginning, but someone said there was a 0.01% chance of nuclear usage. That figure should be steadily revised upward after today.

What's the basis for this assumption? I don't think we've seen any evidence that Putin intends to shuffle off in 5 years. In fact, I'd say it's the exact opposite. He intends to stay in power until he dies and that could be 10-15 years (or even more since we have that Chuck Grassley seeking re-election at 89 ffs). Also, I think the nuclear calculus is backward. If Putin is still around in 5, 10, 15 years and he's losing his mind even more during that time, I think the chance he uses nukes would be exponentially higher in 5-10 years than it is now. It definitely seems riskier to just let him stay in power with an (unsupported) assumption he'll quietly go away in 5 years.

What's the basis for this assumption? I don't think we've seen any evidence that Putin intends to shuffle off in 5 years. In fact, I'd say it's the exact opposite. He intends to stay in power until he dies and that could be 10-15 years (or even more since we have that Chuck Grassley seeking re-election at 89 ffs). Also, I think the nuclear calculus is backward. If Putin is still around in 5, 10, 15 years and he's losing his mind even more during that time, I think the chance he uses nukes would be exponentially higher in 5-10 years than it is now. It definitely seems riskier to just let him stay in power with an (unsupported) assumption he'll quietly go away in 5 years.
Russia is a militaristic state of strongmen. Putin will know that he has to find a way out and has to have known this before Ukraine. He can't bank on staying in power forever. Maybe his aim is to stay in office until he dies, we can't know either way, and as you say Grassley is 89, Pelosi is 82, Biden is 79. But the older he gets the more people around him will be thinking about post-Putin Russia which is a very real factor that you cannot dismiss, especially in a state like Russia. His entire standing is based on being a strongman, not an eighty year old pensioner. If he stays in power, I don't see him staying beyond five or six years whether he wants to or not. In fact, much of the US strategy might be oriented toward trying to force him out early (making those people ask the questions that maybe wouldn't have been asked until nearer the end of the decade).

Russia is a militaristic state of strongmen. Putin will know that he has to find a way out and has to have known this before Ukraine. He can't bank on staying in power forever. Maybe his aim is to stay in office until he dies, we can't know either way, and as you say Grassley is 89, Pelosi is 82, Biden is 79. But the older he gets the more people around him will be thinking about post-Putin Russia which is a very real factor that you cannot dismiss, especially in a state like Russia. His entire standing is based on being a strongman, not an eighty year old pensioner. If he stays in power, I don't see him staying beyond five or six years whether he wants to or not. In fact, much of the US strategy might be oriented toward trying to force him out early (making those people ask the questions that maybe wouldn't have been asked until nearer the end of the decade).

Yeah, I don't agree that Putin would step down or be removed naturally in 5 years. He's surrounded himself by yes men and I don't see any evidence some internal mechanism would remove him in 5 years. Those types never give up power unless they die. No way would I want to gamble on Putin leaving in 5 years. The best strategy at this point does seem to be to keep sanctions, have Putin's removal as a necessary condition for normalizing relations with the west and continue to apply pressure for him leaving now. I think it's far too dangerous to let him remain in power and hope something happens in 5, 10, 15 years after his actions in the last few months. I don't see a problem with anything Biden said so far, it's a sound approach.

The best strategy at this point does seem to be to keep sanctions, have Putin's removal as a necessary condition for normalizing relations with the west and continue to apply pressure for him leaving now. I think it's far too dangerous to let him remain in power and hope something happens in 5, 10, 15 years after his actions in the last few months. I don't see a problem with anything Biden said so far, it's a sound approach.
Yeah I think that's the way it seems to be going. I'm not sure it will work. It could, but equally likely is that Russia plays the Eurasian market and cuts itself off from the European market. EU states are not far away from no longer needing Russian energy, but the Asian market absolutely needs it. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Russia reenters the European/American system even post-Putin. All speculative at this point but signs are an Oceanic sphere is taking shape, helped or primed by the invasion of Ukraine, and that this sphere may well be cut off, Cold War style, from the Eurasian/Chinese sphere. I think the US going back to Maduro for oil and trying to prize Iran away from China are key signs of this, but that is another topic for another thread. Basic point is that it isn't certain Russia will reset to a Western facing strategy post-Putin or that whoever/whatever replaces him will be more friendly.

The entire purpose of him staying in power indefinitely is because he would be arrested and executed if were to leave. He is very aware of this, which is why he won’t relinquish control until he’s overthrown from within. Gorbachev is still alive and kicking in his 90s and Putin is in far better physical shape than Gorby, and could easily remain in power for another 20-30 years. The world shouldn’t be held hostage by a madman with nukes for that time, which is why he needs to go now. A democratic Russia that loosely integrates into Europe will alleviate a massive burden of pressure on the international system.

What's the basis for this assumption?

It is been said that he won't seek reelection in 2024. On paper at least, the next president will have less power from 2024 onwards, and the federal parliament will hold more power.

But the real dynamics of power are much more complex than that. It is not just an almighty president steering everything.

https://carnegiemoscow.org/commentary/81037

Yeah I think that's the way it seems to be going. I'm not sure it will work. It could, but equally likely is that Russia plays the Eurasian market and cuts itself off from the European market. EU states are not far away from no longer needing Russian energy, but the Asian market absolutely needs it. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Russia reenters the European/American system even post-Putin. All speculative at this point but signs are an Oceanic sphere is taking shape, helped or primed by the invasion of Ukraine, and that this sphere may well be cut off, Cold War style, from the Eurasian/Chinese sphere. I think the US going back to Maduro for oil and trying to prize Iran away from China are key signs of this, but that is another topic for another thread. Basic point is that it isn't certain Russia will reset to a Western facing strategy post-Putin or that whoever/whatever replaces him will be more friendly.

I don't see some massive cleavage as possible or desirable for any of the parties. China and the west have economies that are too intertwined for that and long term, all sides benefit more from continuing the integrated global economy as opposed to splitting into isolated regional economies. For Russia, they 100% need to start building a more rounded economy, not one based on resource exportation, which Putin has done, and that would inevitably lead to greater integration into the global economy (not just becoming reliant on China).

Really regret choosing to give a good chunk of my donations to the British Red Cross and the DEC now. I can far more readily see how the Ukrainian Red Cross and more-focussed Ukrainian charities are making some difference on the ground.

The entire purpose of him staying in power indefinitely is because he would be arrested and executed if were to leave. He is very aware of this, which is why he won’t relinquish control until he’s overthrown from within. Gorbachev is still alive and kicking in his 90s and Putin is in far better physical shape than Gorby, and could easily remain in power for another 20-30 years. The world shouldn’t be held hostage by a madman with nukes for that time, which is why he needs to go now. A democratic Russia that loosely integrates into Europe will alleviate a massive burden of pressure on the international system.
A Russia that was guaranteed certain security matters (I'm talking post-Putin) and autonomy, would also be a potential economic behemoth because of its Eurasian position. With its population size, land mass, and energy/rare earth materials, its economy should be roughly twice the size of Germany's (or almost half that of the United States) instead of just under $2tn. The question is whether the Russian ruling class will sacrifice whatever they view as essential to a nationalistic Russia to reenter the European/American order.

On the other hand, Globalization as it was would appear to be dead. So maybe the "new Russia" isn't so easily achieved.

Last edited:
It is been said that he won't seek reelection in 2024. On paper at least, the next president will have less power from 2024 onwards, and the federal parliament will hold more power.

But the real dynamics of power are much more complex than that. It is not just an almighty president steering everything.

Even if that conclusion seemed viable in Nov 2020, I don't think that view still holds up in Feb 2022 after all we've seen since the invasion began. That article reads like an artifact of a completely different time reading it now.

Anyway, I think @harms of all posters in this thread is best qualified to make these types of assessments rather than those of us that live in the west.

Interesting indeed. I wonder how representative of Russia that view is? From the outside certainly you’d think that if people felt the economic pressure of the sanctions they’d at least expect a glorious victory in return

Going by everything that we know it’s a certainty that he at least plans to get himself re-elected in 2024.

As for the article, it’s simply not viable as of now, too much had changed since then. There are two political observers that I’ve used to listened to that had great sources in almost every big political institution in Russia, Pertsov & Gaaza. They’ve had a podcast together where they’ve discussed the behind-the-scenes stuff on every major decision. After the 24th they’ve released one last episode, stating that their profession is dead, Russian politics is dead and we now only have one actor in this mess, Vladimir Putin.

There’s a clear edit in that clip at 0:52, right in the middle of “Russia had no right to lose this operation in Ukraine”. I wonder if he had said “war” and they’ve had to edit that. It would make sense since you can’t “lose” an “operation” (by the logic of Russian language, you can only fail one).

Going by everything that we know it’s a certainty that he at least plans to get himself re-elected in 2024.

As for the article, it’s simply not viable as of now, too much had changed since then. There are two political observers that I’ve used to listened to that had great sources in almost every big political institution in Russia, Pertsov & Gaaza. They’ve had a podcast together where they’ve discussed the behind-the-scenes stuff on every major decision. After the 24th they’ve released one last episode, stating that their profession is dead, Russian politics is dead and we now only have one actor in this mess, Vladimir Putin.

He could choose to make someone else president at some point, which of course doesn't mean he cedes any power.

Which begs the question whether he would agree to 'step down' if negotiations ever reach the point of agreeing Russian defeat.

Guys, I get why there's isn't a no fly zone all over Ukraine. Even if we wanted to, it's hard to implement where it is needed (Mariupol) because the skies there are protected by Russian AA batteries on their lands. No way are we bombing Russia.

I just think we can do more on the Western side though. There's a huge number of refugees on that side and it would be a damn shame for humanity if we can't even protect a small, tiny area of Ukrainian land. And we don't even need our planes or boots on the ground to do it.

I agree we are probably doing the right thing strategically and diplomatically by refusing as far as possible to get involved, but I feel I'm losing a bit of my humanity as each day goes on as we remain steadfastly inactive, and now we might not even protect civilians literally within eyeshot of us at the border.

It just doesn't 'feel' right.

You want the Hollywood ending of all the good guys saving the day, that's why it doesn't feel right.

We've done all we can do and will continue to do exactly that. Anything beyond what we've already done will mean we risk a lot more for everyone.

As much as I don't want any more Ukrainians to die or be displaced, it's either them or the whole world. What would you rather do?

2.jpg

There’s a clear edit in that clip at 0:52, right in the middle of “Russia had no right to lose this operation in Ukraine”. I wonder if he had said “war” and they’ve had to edit that. It would make sense since you can’t “lose” an “operation” (by the logic of Russian language, you can only fail one).

:lol: You know things have gone terribly wrong when the propagandists are being censored.

He could choose to make someone else president at some point, which of course doesn't mean he cedes any power.

Which begs the question whether he would agree to 'step down' if negotiations ever reach the point of agreeing Russian defeat.
Both scenarios are unlikely. He had already tried the first scenario with Medvedev and ended up feeling too threatened. As for him stepping down... it's simply impossible, simply because once he's not in complete control, he's vulnerable. And he doesn't want to be vulnerable.

You want the Hollywood ending of all the good guys saving the day, that's why it doesn't feel right.

We've done all we can do and will continue to do exactly that. Anything beyond what we've already done will mean we risk a lot more for everyone.

As much as I don't want any more Ukrainians to die or be displaced, it's either them or the whole world. What would you rather do?

2.jpg

Protecting people/refugees in the West is hardly a Hollywood ending. It won't even affect the overall battle at all, never mind end it. It justs means we save a few more lives, that's really it.

Both scenarios are unlikely. He had already tried the first scenario with Medvedev and ended up feeling too threatened. As for him stepping down... it's simply impossible, simply because once he's not in complete control, he's vulnerable. And he doesn't want to be vulnerable.

Didn't they pass a law making former presidents immune from prosecution a few years ago?