Rugby League - 2024 edition

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The league is indeed very open, and has been a lot of fun to watch so far because of that. My concerns for Wigan are mainly about discipline and errors; the Saints game was lost because of poor composure and we certainly didn't help ourselves with the scruffiness of our performance tonight.

That said, tonight we were second best from start to finish for the first time this season, so it's the first time I've been worried with what I've seen from the team. It was painful watching us struggle to contain HKR, missing tons of tackles and allowing offloads time and again. The backs looked very ordinary and the forwards had a go but were ultimately beaten by the more aggressive unit on the night. The saving grace is, as you say, Hull KR put in a poor performance the other week, and their conquerers were smashed tonight at Leigh, so it looks like most of the teams can give each other a run for their money.
Big match tonight, Wire & KR. Be amazing for KR to beat them after turning over Wigan & Saints in recent weeks

Northstand

Big match tonight, Wire & KR. Be amazing for KR to beat them after turning over Wigan & Saints in recent weeks
Great game tonight. Warrington brilliant for 30 minutes and KR came back into it to some extent in the second half. Sam Burgess has made a big difference to Warrington's defensive organisation.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Great game tonight. Warrington brilliant for 30 minutes and KR came back into it to some extent in the second half. Sam Burgess has made a big difference to Warrington's defensive organisation.
Not a KR fan, but I was losing the plot with their defence in the first half. Rushing out to meet the sweeping player….and fecking it up every time. Agony to watch. Warrington were good though, took the opportunities presented to them and defended like dogs

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Really weird to see the top teams running neck to neck in the League like this. Lots of "anyone* can beat anyone" around at the moment. Every time you think a team is on a decent run they fall over the following week.

I'd love to see it stay like this - but then I've got some split allegiances. Frustrating if you're a fan of a team and waiting for consistency and solid performances I guess.

*I'm excluding poor old London there of course.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Really weird to see the top teams running neck to neck in the League like this. Lots of "anyone* can beat anyone" around at the moment. Every time you think a team is on a decent run they fall over the following week.

I'd love to see it stay like this - but then I've got some split allegiances. Frustrating if you're a fan of a team and waiting for consistency and solid performances I guess.

*I'm excluding poor old London there of course.
You can exclude FC as well.

Battle of the shitshows tomorrow, FC at London….the battle for second bottom :lol:

Northstand

One-sided semi-final yesterday…suspect today’s will be a very close game. Hoping Warrington shade it though.

Northstand

Not an accurate prediction I made earlier. Easy win for Warrington and some brilliant tries.

Wire v Wigan at Wembley looks mouthwatering.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
That's sad. Even though you know how serious the diagnosis is and how hard the battle that he and his family must have been - it's still a brutal moment.

RIP. Much sympathy for his family and friends now - and all those who helped him live as good a life as he could for as long as he could.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
RIP. That has to be one of the most brutal illnesses there is, he dealt with it phenomenally well and has been an inspiration to everyone these past few years.

Also a top player in an all-dominating team that I absolutely fecking hated at the time I must say :lol:. I begrudge that Leeds side their wins one hell of a lot less now I've come to understand what a brilliant, genuine bloke Rob was.

Northstand

RIP. That has to be one of the most brutal illnesses there is, he dealt with it phenomenally well and has been an inspiration to everyone these past few years.

Also a top player in an all-dominating team that I absolutely fecking hated at the time I must say :lol:. I begrudge that Leeds side their wins one hell of a lot less now I've come to understand what a brilliant, genuine bloke Rob was.
Yes, and his great mate Kevin Sinfield too.

As you say, a truly awful illness and one that becomes progressively more debilitating over time.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
You have to wonder what the incidence of MND is like among rugby players vs the general population.

Would scare the absolute piss out of me if I was a young athletic lad choosing a sport to focus on. Wouldn't go anywhere near rugby.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
You have to wonder what the incidence of MND is like among rugby players vs the general population.

Would scare the absolute piss out of me if I was a young athletic lad choosing a sport to focus on. Wouldn't go anywhere near rugby.
As a parent of a 15 year old who plays both codes, I’m much less worried about him playing league than union.

Rucking, jackaling, scrummaging….its all a lot more nerve-wracking