Round of 16 | England vs Slovakia | Spain vs Georgia

Bobski

I really don't get the clamour for Gordon to start, he ain't all that .

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Is it really an issue? You’re talking about the best player in the premier league last season. Surely you let players like that play into form? English fans are obsessed with dropping players if they’re not in top form. Southgate is the problem for not getting the best out of him.
He didn't win PFA player of the year due to his performances at LW. Either play him in his natural position or drop him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Is it really an issue? You’re talking about the best player in the premier league last season. Surely you let players like that play into form? English fans are obsessed with dropping players if they’re not in top form. Southgate is the problem for not getting the best out of him.
His best performances came through the middle.

Currently you have Bellingham staying in the middle, Kane dropping into that same position and Foden drifting into that position too. That's a problem.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Palmer in 15 minutes played better than any of our forwards have in their last 3 starts. But he still persists with it. Jokegate

STYLOISRED

I'd bench Saka and move Foden to the Right, play Gordon and ask Bellingham to occupy more of the left side of the pitch and focus on making runs while Kqne drops to playmake. but what do I know?:confused:

mav_9me

I really don't get the clamour for Gordon to start, he ain't all that .
I don't think it's particularly about Gordon, but just that a faster pacier outlet on the left would do better than Fosen there esp with a right footed LB

diarm

I thought Foden was the best of the 4 front players who started the last game. He wasn’t great, but he had more about him than Bellingham, Saka or Kane.

Having no left hand side is an issue. Foden and Bellingham (and Kane) are playing in the same areas more centrally and Trippier isn’t a left back - so there is a whole area of the field the opposition don’t have to worry about.

Bullsick

Thought he was OK in the last match.
Personally I would take out Saka from the line up.
Foden's been the only positive going forward for England despite being played out of position, it's Saka & Bellingham that are setting the team back IMO. Kane will score you goals if you feed him....
Took Southgate 3 games to realise England are a better team with Mainoo starting.

The fact that he's persisting with Foden on the left, even though it clearly doesn't work, will probably be his downfall this tournament. He's too cowardly to either a) drop the PFA player of the year or b) drop a Real Madrid star. It's so obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that one of them needs to be dropped to resolve the LW issue.
Foden's done pretty good despite playing out of position IMO, maybe Bellingham will kick on now the knockout stage has begun, same for Saka but I doubt it, he looks proper lightweight at international level

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I thought Foden was the best of the 4 front players who started the last game. He wasn’t great, but he had more about him than Bellingham, Saka or Kane.

Having no left hand side is an issue. Foden and Bellingham (and Kane) are playing in the same areas more centrally and Trippier isn’t a left back - so there is a whole area of the field the opposition don’t have to worry about.
Ye he needs to only play one of Foden or Bellingham. No point trying to force them in the same team that doesn’t work. I’d much rather Gordon out on the left as he’s direct like Saka. Love wingers that run at full backs and cause them problems.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Which is the issue playing Foden on the left.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Is Alexi Lalas on Fox just to piss people off? I know he’s a dick but putting England 9th behind the likes of Turkey.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Southgate lowering squad morale by constantly picking players who are not earning their spot. Even when you get on and perform, he will still pick his favourites.

Awful, awful manager.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Uts either dropping Bellingham back next to Rice and Foden central, or drop Foden and play an actual winger.

If Shaw makes it back before England go out, then I don't have the same issue and feel fine with Foden starting on the left.

Jack-C20

One change. Never mind the front four who look horrendous together. If this has more than one goal I’ll be amazed.

Hoof the ball

Which is hugely unfair to Rodri who not only has to be actually be the best player on the team last season (He was), and not only must be a defensive and press resistant monster, he must also match Foden (an attacking player) in offense production just to even stand a chance against Foden.

The scales are unfairly tipped towards forwards.

DJ_21

Feel for players like Eze who are really good but are behind in the cue because we have Bellingham and Foden. They should have started the last group game. In tournaments if your already through then the sub players just get chances

DJ_21

Thought Luke shaw would be fit by now. Can’t be bothered watching trippier on the left again. Doesn’t link up well with Foden. Surely theirs more than 1 English LB?

90 + 5min

Should be enough and thats it. Still, poor selection and once again there will be spaces from central midfield. He needs to bench some of so called stars when reality is that they are not.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
As a non English person I don’t think the selected first eleven is even the decisive issue. This seems to be much more about how the team is set up. A forward line of Foden, Saka, Bellingham and Kane should be absolutely devastating and should be able to complement each other quite well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can I put money on England winning with a -1 handicap or are you going to feck it up?

diarm

I’m not worried about Mainoo hype the same way I’d usually be about a young United player and your batshit media over there.

The lad just eats hype. Every time a bigger challenge gets put in front of him, he finds a way to outdo it more emphatically.

lex talionis

Mainoo will significantly improve England’s midfield play so good on Southgate fur that, but why is he freezing out Palmer? I despise Chelsea so I’m no homer for the chavs but Palmer unlocks everything that’s locked up for England. Clear as day.

Red Rash

Hope Mainoo does well but Southgate is still such a coward to keep playing Foden on the left.

Also the decision to bring Shaw is a bit of a mockery considering we are now in the last 16 and he still isn't ready to play.

Malons

Throw to pitch-side to find out about how the warm up has gone. They don't mention the warm up at all and just talk generically about team selection.

Why?