Rio Ferdinand

Nothing inappropriate about it, everyone just loves feeling offended and tries finding wrong in the simplest things. Naked? He was shirtless, footballer interviews are done with topless players all the time in the tunnel and after the game in all sports and there's no issue, even on this video there isn't an issue. It was a quick welcome message and the content was clear and not suggesting. All a joke how folks see things nowadays.

I'm very sorry my jovial post offended you Sir.

What's wrong with what he did? I wished that he made a video with a shirt on but having a living legend who was actually WC to help us in deals is great. Milan use Ibra, Inter love to turn towards Zanetti and we now have Rio. I would add Evra to the mix. I met the guy in Malta and he's a likeable guy

Was he the most talented defender that the pl has seen? Don't think anyone comes close if we're being honest.

What's wrong with what he did? I wished that he made a video with a shirt on but having a living legend who was actually WC to help us in deals is great. Milan use Ibra, Inter love to turn towards Zanetti and we now have Rio. I would add Evra to the mix. I met the guy in Malta and he's a likeable guy

Nothing wrong with it Dev, people are just taking the piss. :)

Heard they had a private call and Rio gave him some advice like if you're gonna meet Chelsea's manager and CEO for dinner, make sure there's no journalists hanging around.

The reason they don’t like Rio is because of the what he is and you can see that from this thread. He’s from Peckham so he’s a certain type of way and the people in this thread don’t like that but don’t want to say it outright.

Just to call a spade a spade.

Bollocks. It has feck all to do with where the fella is from.

He’s an empty head that talks shite and shouts louder shite.

He’s got no moral compass with regards to funding sources, he platforms dickheads and is only EVER a point of value when he’s talking to people he reveres. There’s not actually anything wrong on that last point. His chat with Gullit saw him back off the nonsense a little and let the more knowledgeable person speak. There are probably more examples.

If he was pulling out acerbic new takes, or was funny, or had an ability to be considered all of the time, he’d be great and have a lot to offer.

Surrounding himself with blaggers so he’s the biggest voice in the room has seen no growth in His ability to talk about football since he started.

For all his annoying quirks, look at the change in Micah Richards in the last 3-5 years. He was a hype man. He now does a little research and carries one good piece of insight into most panels. He slips into the cartoonish still, but he’s learning and coming along. If anything, he’s too deferential to senior colleagues and gets pushed into a banter space too often.

Regardless of all that, Nedum Onohua is the best of the lot. Tightrope walks the modern fan engagement stuff with actual tactical insight, offering stories based on inside-the-room detail and not just stories about antics. Plus he shuts down stupid journalistic takes all the time, with respect and dismissal.

Nothing inappropriate about it, everyone just loves feeling offended and tries finding wrong in the simplest things. Naked? He was shirtless, footballer interviews are done with topless players all the time in the tunnel and after the game in all sports and there's no issue, even on this video there isn't an issue. It was a quick welcome message and the content was clear and not suggesting. All a joke how folks see things nowadays.

Nah. It’s a certain brand of stupid to record that video and send it without a top on. It’s a bigger brand of stupid to use it though.

The reason they don’t like Rio is because of the what he is and you can see that from this thread. He’s from Peckham so he’s a certain type of way and the people in this thread don’t like that but don’t want to say it outright.

People will disagree but I’ve always thought the same thing. It’s not even a racism thing with him it’s just obvious they never grew up in places with people like Rio. He is such a normal guy that it makes no sense how some get so rattled by him. The way he talks and his mannerisms are what seem to rub some the wrong way but as Londoner you see people like that all day.

His biggest crime is being too exuberant in his United/football fandom and most of us are guilty of that.

With his playing career and the amount of content he’s provided for United fans post retirement I can’t see why he isn’t loved even more.

I have no idea what Peckham means, but sounds like Beckham so I like it.

For Rio, however, I just can't stand him. It's difficult to explain but he just feels hollow, like everything he does is an act. He's very annoying and comes across as very thick.

Yoro confirming that Rio was tapping him up during the transfer saga. :lol:

People will disagree but I’ve always thought the same thing. It’s not even a racism thing with him it’s just obvious they never grew up in places with people like Rio. He is such a normal guy that it makes no sense how some get so rattled by him. The way he talks and his mannerisms are what seem to rub some the wrong way but as Londoner you see people like that all day.

His biggest crime is being too exuberant in his United/football fandom and most of us are guilty of that.

With his playing career and the amount of content he’s provided for United fans post retirement I can’t see why he isn’t loved even more.
Agree with this. My experience of living with a London lad at uni whose personality is similar to Rio's is that at first I thought his over exuberance was a bit of an act. But overtime I realised that he was a genuine guy and it was just us miserable northerners who initially suspected he was doing a caricature.

I like Rio as a pundit because he's the only ex-United player who let's himself get giddy and biased. The likes of Neville, Keane, Ince etc are quick to bash United at the first opportunity, meanwhile ex-Liverpool players will always defend their club in the media unless there is something indefensible.

Yoro confirming that Rio was tapping him up during the transfer saga. :lol:

A world class defender and a world class muppet. How can you not love Rio?:lol: I swear he helps us out with so many players.

A world class defender and a world class muppet. How can you not love Rio?:lol: I swear he helps us out with so many players.

Precisely my thoughts, feel like he always represents the club well and think he should get an ambassador role.

Precisely my thoughts, feel like he always represents the club well and think he should get an ambassador role.

Rio was a fantastic player but he should be nowhere near any kind of official role with the club.

If any of the current team were to miss a drugs test resulting in an 8 month ban, there would be threads on here calling for them to be sacked.

If that player was to be then spotted in a London restaurant having a meal with the Chelsea CEO whilst in the middle of long drawn out contract negotiations, there would be a 200 page thread within about 10 minutes.

Young Rio - West Ham

Only knew Ferdinand as a United player but I can understand why he was sold for record fees twice. Being a supreme defender on top of being so confident and comfortable on the ball.

Rio was a fantastic player but he should be nowhere near any kind of official role with the club.

If any of the current team were to miss a drugs test resulting in an 8 month ban, there would be threads on here calling for them to be sacked.

If that player was to be then spotted in a London restaurant having a meal with the Chelsea CEO whilst in the middle of long drawn out contract negotiations, there would be a 200 page thread within about 10 minutes.
You're speaking as if Rio wasn't the greatest defender to ever play for this club. George Best was a drunk and serial womanizer and has a statue outside Old Trafford, Rio is a club legend and I'm sure if it wasn't because of how busy he is now, he would be in some official ambassadorial role of some sorts. Drug test and said meeting don't matter one bit here. Gerrard almost joined Chelsea and met with them, he's still revered and always will be at Liverpool, Andy Cole and Big Pete played for City and are still United legends. Let's not be hypocritical here.

You're speaking as if Rio wasn't the greatest defender to ever play for this club. George Best was a drunk and serial womanizer and has a statue outside Old Trafford, Rio is a club legend and I'm sure if it wasn't because of how busy he is now, he would be in some official ambassadorial role of some sorts. Drug test and said meeting don't matter one bit here. Gerrard almost joined Chelsea and met with them, he's still revered and always will be at Liverpool, Andy Cole and Big Pete played for City and are still United legends. Let's not be hypocritical
You make a fair point but I don't recall anyone ever calling for George Best to have any official role with the club.

I'm also not disputing that Rio was amazing on the pitch . He shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of role within the club though.

I'd also argue that Schmeichel isn't a United legend after the way he celebrated at Maine Road in 2002 but that's a debate for another tine...

I'd also argue that Schmeichel isn't a United legend after the way he celebrated at Maine Road in 2002 but that's a debate for another tine...
Meh…
Of course Big Pete is a legend of the club.

Cantona literally karate kicked a fan in the stands, got banned which resulted in us losing the title that season.
Was it worth it? Absolutely, its in the football folklore until the end of times.

Rooney questioned the club’s ambitions and wanted to go to City, is he a legend? Of course, he was one of most important players during the club’s most successful era and played the game with complete disregard for his own well being, for over a decade.

Scholes? What’s with the toes? Weird.

Basically, you would be left with a pretty bland and average group of players if your definition of club legend is someone who was a flawless character.

Rio Ferdinand is the greatest defender to ever play for the club and spent the best years of his career, winning many trophies, at the club.

Meh…
Of course Big Pete is a legend of the club.

Cantona literally karate kicked a fan in the stands, got banned which resulted in us losing the title that season.
Was it worth it? Absolutely, its in the football folklore until the end of times.

Rooney questioned the club’s ambitions and wanted to go to City, is he a legend? Of course, he was one of most important players during the club’s most successful era and played the game with complete disregard for his own well being, for over a decade.

Scholes? What’s with the toes? Weird.

Basically, you would be left with a pretty bland and average group of players if your definition of club legend is someone who was a flawless character.

Rio Ferdinand is the greatest defender to ever play for the club and spent the best years of his career, winning many trophies, at the club.
Again. Not really disputing a lot of that apart from the Schmeichel thing. I'd argue that being a "legend" is something that should only apply to a few players. Cantona arguably became a legend because of that kung-fu kick. It shouldn't be a one size fits all definition. Rio's general behaviour between late 2003 and 2005 was very different to a man who fought against a BNP/National front supporter.

I'd also maybe say that Rio isn't our greatest ever defender, perhaps if you think football started in the 90s maybe...

Regardless of that, those players shouldn't automatically be given roles within the club though.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised it was Rio as he left United when Yoro was about.. 7?!

I thought Varane might have been a good one as he’s French, just won the FA Cup at United and has played for both teams

But no doubt Varane will have much better memories of Madrid than anywhere else in his career so maybe that would have been suicide
Cantona retired when I was 9. Some of my strongest memories are tied to Cantona. He was and is to me the biggest legend.

I didn't grow up with YouTube like Yoro. Kids and teens today binge football videos. 90's footballers to kids being born ca 2010 are more known to them than 70's footballers to me. I never saw Cruyff for example. Kids today know Ronaldinho.

I wonder why it is that so many people on this website cannot wait to knock our top players? Every one of the players who helped put this club where it is, comes in for vitriol. Is it jealousy or simply just spouting fir the sake of it?

I wonder why it is that so many people on this website cannot wait to knock our top players? Every one of the players who helped put this club where it is, comes in for vitriol. Is it jealousy or simply just spouting fir the sake of it?
Very weird - folks like Neville may come up with a odd take from time to time, like Rio, like Keano, like anyone else, but the amount of negativity towards them is really something

I am not British and while I lived in London for 5 years I don't really know what's wrong with Peckham

Rio was the best CB of his generation. He was also the best British CB I've ever seen. What frustrating with Rio is that he doesn't act like a top player. Take maldini for example. He looks like a Roman god in every interview he makes. Rio talks with Leny yoro on mutv without even wearing a shirt. Seriously how can yoro takes anything Rio said seriously (about United being the biggest club etc) when our ambassador goes on life tv looking like a homeless person?

The same level of criticism goes to Gaz who let the likes of carra and Micah Richards shit all over his career on life tv. They won't do that with a Keane, a Kahn or a maldini that's for sure

I am not British and while I lived in London for 5 years I don't really know what's wrong with Peckham

Rio was the best CB of his generation. He was also the best British CB I've ever seen. What frustrating with Rio is that he doesn't act like a top player. Take maldini for example. He looks like a Roman god in every interview he makes. Rio talks with Leny yoro on mutv without even wearing a shirt. Seriously how can yoro takes anything Rio said seriously (about United being the biggest club etc) when our ambassador goes on life tv like a homeless person?

The same level of criticism goes to Gaz who let the likes of carra and Micah Richards shit all over his career on life tv. They won't do that with a Keane, a Kahn or a maldini that's for sure
Tbf Neville does that himself too,I dunno if it’s a self deprecating sort of thing going on . He’ll sit there making out football was shit back in his days and that players now are way better.

He constantly says Kyle Walker was better than him and always picks him in those team comparisons. Which is actually quite laughable considering how average Walker is once you take away the recovery pace.
And with Trent he makes out Trent was three league levels better than him because of how good he is on the ball. But doesn’t apply that sort of logic when comparing himself and Walker when he was miles ahead of Walker with delivery.

Rio was the best CB of his generation. He was also the best British CB I've ever seen. What frustrating with Rio is that he doesn't act like a top player. Take maldini for example. He looks like a Roman god in every interview he makes. Rio talks with Leny yoro on mutv without even wearing a shirt. Seriously how can yoro takes anything Rio said seriously (about United being the biggest club etc) when our ambassador goes on life tv looking like a homeless person?

I completely disagree with this point of view. What does Rio's choice of attire have to do with his character? He was a top player and very relatable. I doubt Yoro cares as much as you do about him being shirt-less on his holiday. He sent an informal video and encouraged a new player who has joined the club. Rio does not need to look or speak like Maldini. If you are a truly confident and assured man, you don't need to copy what others say or do. You stand your ground and do what you have to do

Reactions: Cheimoon
Again. Not really disputing a lot of that apart from the Schmeichel thing. I'd argue that being a "legend" is something that should only apply to a few players. Cantona arguably became a legend because of that kung-fu kick. It shouldn't be a one size fits all definition. Rio's general behaviour between late 2003 and 2005 was very different to a man who fought against a BNP/National front supporter.

I'd also maybe say that Rio isn't our greatest ever defender, perhaps if you think football started in the 90s maybe...

Regardless of that, those players shouldn't automatically be given roles within the club though.

What?! The kung fu kick is certainly not why he became a legend :lol: ffs

Yeah, that bit about Ferdinand being the "best in the club's history" is a little wild. To your point, if someone began watching in the 90s, they'd have seen Stam, who was comfortably better than Ferdinand. As was Vidic, Rio's teammate in Ferguson's second Champions League winning team.

Ferdinand is arguably the 3rd best in his own team since the summer of 98. In the eyes of many, he was below Vidić in his own team, and was always below Terry during that time period.

What?! The kung fu kick is certainly not why he became a legend :lol: ffs
It certainly elevated Cantona to a very different level in the eyes of matchgoing fans. He very much became "one of us" in a way that I don't think has happened with anyone else that wasn't an academy player.

Back on Rio though, I suppose my argument is that being a world class player shouldn't necessarily make you a "legend" and if it does, we certainly shouldn't be giving them all ambassador roles because they speak well about the club on social media.