Religion, what's the point?

Turns out there's no room at the inn.

Illegal migration bill is ‘cruelty without purpose’, says Archbishop of York

Christians were “morally bound to find ways of welcoming the stranger and feeding the hungry. This does not mean anything goes, but it does mean everyone counts. Of course, there have to be limits on the numbers of refugees and asylum seekers any one country can take. But this needs to be managed in a just, transparent and humane way. Criminalising the world’s most vulnerable people is an immoral and inept way of responding.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...uelty-without-purpose-says-archbishop-of-york

There's nothing like believing in a all powerful holy spirit and then limiting yourself to the politics of Keir Starmer.

Didn't know where to put this but 1 - 0 religion on this one

Frg22yVWcAc6X87

Just another day in the office for a Maulana getting caught sexually abusing a little girl in a mosque. Ends up nonchalantly saying "he was just kissing and molesting her, no big deal.."

Such moral goodness, thanks religion.

I don't hate god, it's just something that doesn't exist.

I mean, it would be great if it did and everything was as easy as saying "hello, I am all yours, make my life great" and everything got good. But it isn't.

Has someone asked Franklin how god didn't protect the folks in a school in a church?
He has a plan :rolleyes:
What's always puzzled me with all these angry religious folk is that, if god's so powerful, why don't the just get on with their own lives and leave god to sort us heathens out?

How do religious types square the idea of a god with Darwin’s evolution theory?

It usually takes the form of either flat-out denial, regurgitating supposed scientific objections they’ve heard, or they view God as a prime mover who chose for life to develop through this process.

feck off. I remember now why I have avoided this thread. Atheists are basically MAGA without the white supremacy.

I think it was Pascal who used probability theory to "prove" that being religious is infinitely rewarding. It goes like this:

The joy a gambler feels is equal to the odds of winning multiplied by the potential reward.

He argued that no matter how improbable, the probability that there is a heaven cannot be zero (X>0), and if there were a heaven the reward would be infinite. So, the joy of a Christian equals X times infinity. Hence, the joy of being a Christian is infinite.

:lol:

I've thought about it and can prove mathematically why it's not. Give it a go.

Last edited:
A few Dutch captains refusing to wear the One Love captain's band out of their religious viewpoint that homosexuality should be rejected. If God exists there is no way he would be such a thick narrowminded cnut that he would reject people for being gay surely? I mean he's omnipotent and created everything, surely with infinite power comes a bit of empathy?

feck off. I remember now why I have avoided this thread. Atheists are basically MAGA without the white supremacy.
The superior tone of the sixth form conversation in this thread is often incredibly irritating but "atheists are basically MAGA" is just silly.

The superior tone of the sixth form conversation in this thread is often incredibly irritating but "atheists are basically MAGA" is just silly.
No, it’s not, at least not in here. The underlying commonality of both, at least when it comes to discussions on religion, is that cruelty is the point. Going after religious leaders and organizations for bad acts? Go for it, I do it myself, but the constant mocking and piss taking of faith in general? Tell me, outside of the joy derived from it what else is the point?

Faith is hard, especially when the world is crumbling around you, but it can also serve as the last anchor point in that crumbling world that you can cling to. Sure, those of us of faith might be grasping onto a fairy tale, but what do you gain by mocking that? Seriously, other than a self sense of satisfaction what else do you get?

No, it’s not, at least not in here. The underlying commonality of both, at least when it comes to discussions on religion, is that cruelty is the point. Going after religious leaders and organizations for bad acts? Go for it, I do it myself, but the constant mocking and piss taking of faith in general? Tell me, outside of the joy derived from it what else is the point?

Faith is hard, especially when the world is crumbling around you, but it can also serve as the last anchor point in that crumbling world that you can cling to. Sure, those of us of faith might be grasping onto a fairy tale, but what do you gain by mocking that? Seriously, other than a self sense of satisfaction what else do you get?

Go find yourself a Christians vs Atheists debate group on facebook, go see how charitable the takes from Christians are.

If you think atheists are being insufferable then you’ve not taken a look at what Christians routinely say and do. "You don’t believe because you just want to sin!", "everybody believes deep down, you are just lying to yourself!", etc. etc.

Btw, what examples of outright "cruelty" do you have? With the privileged position faith holds for a lot of people, it doesn’t take a lot for feelings to be hurt. To me that’s not an argument for softening discourse, but more an argument that religion’s been treated with too much deference, and people can’t handle critique of it.

I'd agree,religion and faith are completely different things. Someone's faith or belief is noone else's business until said faith impinges on them.

It's not hard. It's ideology. Stop being and proclaiming your saved. "Ohh I've got faith be kind" feck off.

Come on WI_Red, you're better than this. If the thread has wound you up enough to post something like that, just leave the thread and put it on ignore. I've done it to a lot of CE threads.
Fair enough. It’s been a horrific week and I stumbled in here on accident in not the best mood. My reply was directed at the god/science posts but I forgot to insert them.

I feel like you've totally sidestepped the centuries of ruling oppression from the church and instead chose to focus on your own perspective of someone with crumbling faith who doesn't like that religion is made fun of because it hurts your feelings. We're tired of it, we're tired of these gobshites having a say in what we can and cannot do, religion has mocked the gays, women, children, other races/faiths since inception. The sooner it's completely abolished the better.

If you want people to mock less, then those involved should stop being such self righteous, hypocritical thunder cnuts.