Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 10)

Option number one would be to sell the votes in this round. But I guess that is against the law. :wenger:

1. Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Persepolis
3. Mulholland Dr.
4. The Seventh Seal
5. Rubber

Thought that said wanking :nervous:

Anal Sluts 2: Back for moar
DVnz9q9U8AAVCqE.jpg

I don't watch a huge amount of musicals or animated stuff.

1. Blues Brothers
2. Rocky Horror Picture Show
3. Akira
4. Ghost in the Shell
5. South Park

If anyone hasn't seen it, Your Name, Princess Mononoke and Akira are fantastic animations. I really wanted to include it them in my list but the ones I did just have more sentimental value.

1. Blues Brothers
2. Wall-E
3. Spirited Away
4. Triplets of Belleville
5. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I'm surprised Blues Brothers isn't showing up more; maybe people don't think of it as a musical? Other than that, I don't feel very strongly about these. I considered Moana and Coco for #5, but I feel like they don't belong in this sort of list. Instead, I thought the design of Dr. Caligari was special enough (especially back then - 1920!) to count as experimental. (Or maybe it's the other way round and it looks visually experimental to us now!)

Last edited:
On consideration, I think not having an experimental category until late in the day means I can't amend to reflect as I have considered these sorts of movies earlier. It seems others have taken a similar tack too, so unlikely that anything experimental (unless it's also animation) gets through.

I broadly hate musicals, and Blues Brothers and The Producers, etc seem more like comedies.

Therefore animation only:
Spirited Away
Belle Ville Rendezvous (Les Triplettes de Belleville)
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Paprika
Coraline

1. Blues Brothers
2. Wall-E
3. Spirited Away
4. Triples of Belleville
5. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I'm surprised Blues Brothers isn't showing up more; maybe people don't think of it as a musical? Other than that, I don't feel very strongly about these. I considered Moana and Coco for #5, but I feel like they don't belong in this sort of list. Instead, I thought the design of Dr. Caligari was special enough (especially back then - 1920!) to count as experimental. (Or maybe it's the other way round and it looks visually experimental to us now!)
Blues Brothers is definitely a musical, the tracks make up part of the story and there's mass dancing and rythmic jocularity ... musical innit? :)

Blues Brothers is definitely a musical, the tracks make up part of the story and there's mass dancing and rythmic jocularity ... musical innit? :)
Yeah, I'd say so. Although they don't really tell any of the story through the songs (which are just covers of existing songs); you wouldn't miss anything narratively if you took them out I don't think. So in that sense it's not a typical music - as also proven by the fact that I like it even though I deeply dislike musicals. (They come with a typical music style (especially vocally) that I just can't stand. It even managed to mess up Queen songs in the Queen theatre musical!)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say so. Although they don't really any of the story through the songs (which are just covers of existing songs); you wouldn't miss anything narratively if you took them out I don't think. So in that sense it's not a typical music - as also proven by the fact that I like it even though I deeply dislike musicals. (They come with a typical music style (especially vocally) that I just can't stand. It even managed to mess up Queen songs in the Queen theatre musical!)
I'd say it's a comedy with musical numbers. Only the James Brown number, Ray Charles and Aretha are really even aligned to the story narrative in anyway and then only loosely and the songs existed before the film.

Mostly based on nostalgia since I never watch animated stuff:

1. The Lionking
2. Jungle Book
3. Aladdin
4. Madagascar
5. Les Miserables (shut up)

I'd say it's a comedy with musical numbers. Only the James Brown number, Ray Charles and Aretha are really even aligned to the story narrative in anyway and then only loosely and the songs existed before the film.
Yeah, I mean, Aretha Franklin does her whole song, and then says 'yeah OK, you go then'. Could have just skipped that song then. But the songs do help make the movie. Not sure if that makes it a musical but I've voted for it. :cool:

If anyone hasn't seen it, Your Name, Princess Mononoke and Akira are fantastic animations. I really wanted to include it them in my list but the ones I did just have more sentimental value.

If Mononoke doesn't make - which currently it doesn't appear to be - I'm going to absolutely shit on everybody's movie taste for the next millennium.

If Mononoke doesn't make - which currently it doesn't appear to be - I'm going to absolutely shit on everybody's movie taste for the next millennium.
Sadly it seems like the only Studio Ghibli movie to make the cut will be Spirited Away. I guess that was predictable and it's better than nothing, but it's sad to see that the rest of Studio Ghibli's rich repertoire seems underappreciated in the West.

Sadly it seems like the only Studio Ghibli movie to make the cut will be Spirited Away. I guess that was predictable and it's better than nothing, but it's sad to see that the rest of Studio Ghibli's rich repertoire seems underappreciated in the West.

Totally.. I can't profess to being a fan of all of them - probably half at most - but Mononoke is one of the most accessible and likable movies out of their entire collection, very much along with Spirited Away. I'm convinced anybody who salivates at the thought of fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings - of which we have many on RedCafe - would absolutely love the movie. It's not hard to find being on Netflix either (or at least I assume it still is).

Still, Spirited Away is very good and will restore some of my faith if it makes the cut.

Totally.. I can't profess to being a fan of all of them - probably half at most - but Mononoke is one of the most accessible and likable movies out of their entire collection, very much along with Spirited Away. I'm convinced anybody who salivates at the thought of fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings - of which we have many on RedCafe - would absolutely love the movie. It's not hard to find being on Netflix either (or at least I assume it still is).

Still, Spirited Away is very good and will restore some of my faith if it makes the cut.
Both are on HBOMax stateside. I’ll add them to my schedule and revisit my vote.

Team America: World Police
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
Whiplash
The Iron Giant
Toy Story

With such a large Irish contingent on here, very surprised no one has listed Song of the sea.

Such a sad but lovely tale, had tears streaming down my cheeks.

Jungle Book
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
The Blues Brothers
Shrek
Grease

I would put Ray at top and Bohemian Rhapsody but are they musicals or biographies?
So instead I will go with animation
Toy Story
Heavy Metal 1981
Wizards 1977
Incredibles
Jungle Book

Not a massive fan of this genre tbh so I havent seen that many compared to some.
Apart from Akira my top five consist of movies I loved as a kid and still love today....

1. Grease
2. Akira
3. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
4. Bugsy Malone
5. Animal Farm

1 Singing in the Rain
2 The Sound of music
3 The Wizard of Oz
4 The Lion King
5 The Snowman.

Wall-E
Fantastic Mr Fox
Grave of the Fireflies
Into the Spider Verse
Ghost in the Shell

1. Avatar
2. The Lion King
3. Gantz:O
4. Bugsy Malone
5. Moonwalker

Last edited:
So which was better Antz or A Bug's Life?

Oh my God A Bug's Life by far.

Watched them both back to back recently.

How any kid could've possibly enjoyed Antz, I don't know. Everything's really brown/grey, dark, depressing and very boring.

Bug's Life isn't great but at least it's a bit funny and colorful.

1. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
2. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
3. Grease
4. Oliver Twist
5. Ratatouille

1. Toy Story 3
2. Prince of Egypt
3. Shrek
4. Lion King
5. The Iron Giant

Just noticed how the feck did Aliens not get through Sci Fi. Resurrection round it is.
It got through to resurrection at least. Mainly thanks to @hellhunter and I feel it has a huge chance of progressing from there.