Film RedCafe's Favourite Movies Of All Time Contest (ROUND 10)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Please guys, try vote by the deadline. I'm not going to ever leave votes out but voting past the deadline causes me un-needed hassle. With that out of the way...

Round 9 is done! There were a total of 107 films that got votes and your top 5 were:

Silence Of The Lambs
Se7en
Old Boy
Parasite
No Country For Old Men

Finally, not one but two WORLD CINEMA films have made it through! Surprised Se7en got so high and Zodiac barely registered any votes when in a past category, the two were neck and neck. Oh and @hobbers can rest easy with NCFOM getting through :lol:

Here are the results for those interested:

Silence Of The Lambs
136​
Se7en
124​
Parasite
82​
Old Boy
82​
No Country For Old Men
54​
The Prestige
48​
Mulholland Drive
46​
Shutter Island
44​
Memento
36​
Fight Club
32​
Chinatown
28​
L.A. Confidential
26​
Vertigo
26​
Rashomon
22​
Rear Window
22​
The Lives Of Others
22​
Get Out
20​
The Usual Suspects
20​
Burning
16​
Cape Fear
14​
Donnie Darko
14​
Gone Girl
14​
North By Northwest
14​
Prisoners
14​
Sicario
14​
The Fugitive
14​
Layer Cake
12​
Nightcrawler
12​
Zodiac
12​
Black Swan
10​
Blue Velvet
10​
Collateral
10​
Devil's Advocate
10​
Fatal Attraction
10​
Perfect Blue
10​
Psycho
10​
The Conversation
10​
Three Colors: Red
10​
The Night Comes For Us
10​
Dogville
10​
12 Monkeys
8​
Angelheart
8​
Blood Simple
8​
Body Heat
8​
Dial M For Murder
8​
Escape From Alcatraz
8​
Fargo
8​
French Connection
8​
I Saw The Devil
8​
Joker
8​
Le Boucher
8​
Manhunter
8​
Marathon Man
8​
Misery
8​
The Green Mile
8​
The Secret In Their Eyes (2009)
8​
The Skin I Live In
8​
Three Days Of The Condor
8​
The Raid
8​
M - Eine Stadt Sucht Einen Morder
8​
American Psycho
6​
Angel Dust
6​
Battle Royale
6​
Dirty Harry
6​
Fallen
6​
Falling Down
6​
Memories Of Murder
6​
Sorcerer
6​
Taxi Driver
6​
The Sixth Sense
6​
The Wailing
6​
Flash Point
6​
Woman In The Dunes
6​
Blow Out
4​
Dead Calm
4​
Forgotten
4​
Hannibal
4​
In The Heat Of The Night
4​
Knives Out
4​
Mystic River
4​
Picnic At Hanging Rock
4​
Reservoir Dogs
4​
Run Lola Run
4​
Scarface
4​
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009)
4​
The Pianist
4​
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
4​
Requiem For A Dream
4​
A Man Escaped
4​
Calibre
2​
Coherence
2​
Dead Man's Shoes
2​
Deliverance
2​
Inception
2​
Man On Fire
2​
No Way Out
2​
Sea Of Love
2​
Sin City
2​
Spoorloos
2​
The Face Of Another
2​
The Guest
2​
The Machinist
2​
The Vanishing
2​
Valkyrie
2​
Winter's Bone
2​
Single White Female
2​
Touch Of Evil
2​

Below is a list of what's made it through so far. Please make sure any film you vote for isn't on this list, otherwise you are wasting a vote.

Action & Adventure
Terminator 2
Die Hard
Indiana Jones: Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Dark Knight
Gladiator

War & Western
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Unforgiven
Schindler's List
Inglorious Basterds

Fantasy & Superhero
LOTR: Fellowship Of The Ring
LOTR: Return Of The King
LOTR: The Two Towers
Avengers: Infinity War
Batman Begins

Crime & Noir
The Godfather
Goodfellas
The Godfather 2
Pulp Fiction
Heat

Comedy & Romance
The Big Lebowski
In Bruges
Groundhog Day
Dr. Strangelove
Superbad

Drama
The Shawshank Redemption
Good Will Hunting
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
There Will Be Blood
Rocky

Horror
Alien
The Shining
The Thing
The Exorcist
Jaws

Sci-fi
Blade Runner
The Matrix
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Interstellar
Children Of Men

Thriller & Mystery
Silence Of The Lambs
Se7en
Parasite
Old Boy
No Country For Old Men

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the next round!

Each Monday, I will set up a new round for the contest.

Each round will represent a different genre of film (I have tried to include all the big genres).

The genres are below (BOLDED IS THE CURRENT ROUND FOR THIS THREAD):

Round 1 - Action & Adventure
Round 2 - War & Western
Round 3 - Fantasy & Superhero
Round 4 - Crime & Noir
Round 5 - Comedy & Romance
Round 6 - Drama
Round 7 - Horror
Round 8 - Sci-Fi
Round 9 - Thriller & Mystery
Round 10 - Animation, Musicals & Experimental
Round 11 - Resurrection (Bonus Round)
Round 12 - The Knockout Round
Round 13 - The Finals

For each round, please list your top 5 movies from the genre in list view.

Please do this by Friday 11:59pm GMT (please stick to this as last time people kept voting late and that causes me massive headaches on the weekends).

5th = 2 pts, 4th = 4 pts, 3rd = 6 pts, 2nd = 8 pts, 1st = 10 pts.

The top 5 movies from each round will go through to the knockouts.

In the event of a tie, I will refer to their Metacritic scores.

I know movie genres cross over (Alien could be horror or sci-fi) so feel free to consider that when voting but don't be an idiot and vote Alien as a comedy or musical.

If you have voted, then changed your vote, please quote your original list and then post your new list and let me know by tagging me, otherwise I may miss your vote by accident.

I will try to start each new round on the Monday after a vote round has finished.

At the opening post of each round, I will put in the results from the previous round and start the voting of the current round.

Once we have gone through the 11 rounds, there will be a randomized UCL-style knockouts round (which people asked for last time).

Then we head into the final round with 30 movies on the shortlist.

Then once that voting is done, I will post the top 30 in order from last to first and crown the overall winner.

I know this is probably not the BEST way but I doubt there is a BEST way to do this!

Remember, I have 2 kids and a full time job so there may be times where I miss deadlines or post later than anticipated. Apologies in advance.

I hope this is fun and you guys enjoy it

1. Toy Story
2. Spirited Away
3. La La Land
4. The Greatest Showman
5. Aladdin

1. Toy Story 3
2. Prince of Egypt
3. Shrek
4. Lion King
5. The Iron Giant

Just noticed how the feck did Aliens not get through Sci Fi. Resurrection round it is.

Good to see OId Boy made it, great movie.

1. Only Yesterday
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
4. My Neighbour Totoro
5. WALL-E

Had to force myself to include one non-Ghibli movie, the choice was between WALL-E and Up which are both lovely, but I just like the former that little bit more. Spirited Away is the Ghibli movie that misses out.

1. Toy Story
2. Spirited Away
3. Your Name
4. The Lion King
5. Up

Really tough category. So many other good films like Coco, Spiderverse, Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Kubo, etc..

Will likely re-order.

Silence Of The Lambs
Se7en
Old Boy
Parasite
No Country For Old Men

I'm happy that Oldboy and Pararasite made it! I'm also happy about Silence Of The Lambs as that was my number one honorable mention.

I haven't seen No Country For Old Men so I have no opinion there, but Se7en is a bit of a surprise. I think I saw it too late in my life to fully enjoy it. It felt very cliché to me at the time, but maybe it actually created some of these clichés?

1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Grave of the Fireflies
4. Basil the Mouse Detective
5. My Neighbour Totoro

likely to be changed.

1. Phantom of the Opera
2. La La Land (RG and ES are perfect together)
3. Toy Story
4. The Jungle Book
5. The Lion King (animation)

Hon Mens to Bohemian Rhapsody, Yesterday, Spiderverse, Greatest Showman, Toy Stories 2-4, Up, A Bugs Life, Cars, Frozen, Avatar, West Side Story (the new one) et al; hard round again.

1. Akira
2. Spiderman into the spider verse
3. The Blues Brothers
4. The Incredibles
5. The Jungle Book

1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Spirited Away
3. Akira
4. Your Name
5. Wall-E

Up
Coraline
Spiderman Into the Spiderverse
Princess Mononoke
Toy Story 2

1. The Lord of the Rings (1978)
2. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
3.Willie Wonker and the Chocolate Factory
4. Lego Batman
5. The Incredibles

Last edited:
Once again it's hard to pick 5, a lot of potential hidden gems miss out.

1. Spirited Away
2. Grave of the Fireflies
3. Shrek
4. Toy Story 2
5. The Lion King

1. South Park Movie
  2. Finding Nemo
  3. Souls
  4. Ron's gone wrong
  5. Wall-E
feck musicals, basically
South Park the Movie is a musical? :lol:

Once again it's hard to pick 5, a lot of potential hidden gems miss out.

1. Spirited Away
2. Grave of the Fireflies
3. Shrek
4. Toy Story 2
5. The Lion King

South Park the Movie is a musical? :lol:
The intro, the 2 devil songs, saddams song, Kyle's mom in a bitch, Kyle when he sees the girl. So many classics. :p

@Dirty Schwein . Can I ask for some clarity on what we mean by experimental movies? As I see it, that'd include Lynch, Buñuel, Tarkovsky, Goddard, Bergman, etc which, if you go down that path, would make it nigh on impossible to fit in any animations or musicals at all. Have I got the wrong idea of what we mean by experimental?

Can I ask for some clarity on what we mean by experimental movies? As I see it, that'd include Lynch, Buñuel, Tarkovsky, Goddard, Bergman, etc which, if you go down that path, would make it nigh on impossible to fit in any animations or musicals at all. Have I got the wrong idea of what we mean by experimental?

I'm imaging experimental is more about movies that simply don't fit other genres. I think Eraserhead and Inland Empire would count for Lynch but not Blue Velvet (thriller) and Mulholland Drive (thriller/noir). Most post-1968 movies from Godard but not Alphaville (sci-fi) and Breathless (drama). Movies like koyaanisqatsi, meshes of the afternoon, man with a movie camera, wavelength, etc which are impossible to define as anything except experimental.

Edit - I think the distinction you're thinking is maybe more akin to 'avant-garde' rather than experimental.

@Dirty Schwein How is the Resurrection Round going to work?
So the top 3 films from each round that didn't make it through (placed 6-8th) will all be up for a second chance. We vote the same way (top 5 from that list) and the 10 films with the highest votes go through.

There's a bit more to it with regards to cross genres but let me worry about that. Example below:

NCFOM finished top 6 in crime but then made it through thrillers so in the crime category, places 6, 7 and 9 will be given second chance etc.

I'm imaging experimental is more about movies that simply don't fit other genres. I think Eraserhead and Inland Empire would count for Lynch but not Blue Velvet (thriller) and Mulholland Drive (thriller/noir). Most post-1968 movies from Godard but not Alphaville (sci-fi) and Breathless (drama). Movies like koyaanisqatsi, meshes of the afternoon, man with a movie camera, wavelength, etc which are impossible to define as anything except experimental.

Edit - I think the distinction you're thinking is maybe more akin to 'avant-garde' rather than experimental.
Ok. That makes sense. So Un Chien Andalou or maybe The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoise would fit but La Jetee or The Mirror wouldn't? Still going to kill anaimation and musical nominations though and everyone else seems to just be nominating animations and the odd musical.

Ok. That makes sense. So Un Chien Andalou or maybe The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoise would fit but La Jetee or The Mirror wouldn't? Still going to kill anaimation and musical nominations though and everyone else seems to just be nominating animations and the odd musical.

Yeah I doubt there's a hard and fast rule but that's the way I'm looking at it. I put La Jetee in the sci-fi category for example.

1. Spirited Away
  2. Akira
  3. Ninja Scroll
  4. Ghost in the Shell
  5. Waking Life