RAWK Goes Into Meltdown - AMad year

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Don't see how Gerrard makes his way into a PL all time XI. Possibly as a bench warmer but even then there would be midfielders from United, City, Chelsea, even Arsenal who would be above him on merit.
I know, that's why I said possibly for him and VVD. Obviously I rate him higher than others due to my Liverpool bias, but I guess it's purely subjective on stuff like this.

Has had some mad scoring seasons but it’s the lack of success which would make it hard for me to include him. If I’m going to include a forward who only won 1 PL, it’s Shearer because 260 goals is incredible. Harry Kane would miss out for similar reasons. He’d be a shoe in if he’d been at a top club

Ronaldo and Rooney have to be in there. Would be ridiculous not to include either
I don't honestly see how you can't have him in there - one of the massive reasons that we managed to finally get another title and compete in CL finals was down to his consistent high levels. I completely understand United fans putting Ronaldo in there (in a 4-3-3) or Chelsea fans opting for Hazard, but for me he's been consistently better than both over a longer spell, albeit Ronaldo obviously left to go to Madrid and would probably have carried on being brilliant.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

The all-time PL XI is just way too subjective IMO. I think it's way more fun if you actually think about which team would actually work on the pitch, instead of just listing the biggest names in each position.

I don't even care if not that many United players get in, we definitely have the largest number of contenders, and I'm satisfied with that.

It's also important to clarify whether you're making a lineup based on the players' average level and longevity, or their absolute best seasons where they reached peak level.

RedRocket9908

Allison is better than Seaman and VDS. All class, but Allison is better.
VDS won the Premier League in 4 of his 6 seasons at Man Utd while Allison has only won it once in 6 seasons at Liverpool.

VDS has won 2 European Champions Leagues while Allison has only won it once.

Oranges038

Allison is better than Seaman and VDS. All class, but Allison is better.
I wouldn't be so sure of Allison over VDS, but both are better than Seaman.

Goalkeeping has become a position where saying who's better has become more difficult. Because teams now look for goalkeepers who can do more than make saves, catch a cross and punt the ball down the pitch. It's a position that has become a lot more nuanced as football has progressed over the last 20 years.

Seaman would have been a fantastic keeper for any team throughout the 90s early 00s. VDS was brilliant for Man Utd, but would he have been as good for Barcelona during that same time period? Maybe not, is Victor Valdes a better goalkeeper than VDS, not a chance, but he was a better choice or goalkeeper for that team.

Allison is a top top keeper, probably one of the very best in the world right now. And if we're being honest, 20 years ago he would have been a top keeper as well.

I couldn't pick between the two, reducing it to trophies is a poor way to judge their ability, Victor Valdes would be one of the best ever if that was the main metric. To pick VDS or Allison it's hard, but in the real world it would all boil down to how you wanted your team to play and which one was a better fit.

Rojofiam

VDS won the Premier League in 4 of his 6 seasons at Man Utd while Allison has only won it once in 6 seasons at Liverpool.

Doesn't mean much does it

Rojofiam

VDS was a better keeper than Allison he even won European Goalkeeper of the year and European Club Goalkeeper of the year in 2009 at the age of 39
Individual awards are usually popularity contests, to be honest

Do you think Emiliano Martínez is the best goalkeeper in the world today? He's not even top 5

That's not to say that VDS wasn't among the very best during his best years, but referring to team trophies or individual awards is not a good enough argument

Matst1

Lazy argument. Individually he's better than both.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I don't think I ever saw Van Der Sar have a season as poor as Allison did in 2020/21 when he was dropping clanger after clanger. Those errors were a major factor in Liverpool losing 6 consecutive PL home games.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Allison, Salah, Van Dijk, Gerrard. Only 4 you could argue into a team like that. I'm not even entertaining other names. Owen isn't close.

Bright_Eyes

:lol:

What a truly odd bunch they really are. No Henry, No Roy Keane, No Kane. I could go on
Kane vs Rooney is a conversation at least. As is Henry vs Ronaldo/Rooney. They aren't crazy inclusions. Like, you'd have Henry over those two? Fine but I don't think having the opposite opinion makes the poster odd?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think there's a lot of debate to be had with these XIs, but any one that doesn't have Ashley Cole LB can be dismissed out of hand. He's the only nailed on cert where there's no one else even in the conversation.
Personally I’d have Evra as a rival, the 09 season he was absolutely out of this world.

Cole would probably win a vote though and I’d have no qualms.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Henry shearer ronaldo
Kdb
Vieira keane
Cole terry ferdinand walker
Schmeichel

no Liverpool player comes close to even being considered.
I like this one! I’d make a few adjustments but really can’t argue with that.

the chameleon

Just because he plays for the scouse doesn't mean i can't rate him, i'm not 10 years old ffs :lol:
You sound like you are. I'm not saying Allison's crap; he's a world-class keeper. He's probably better than Seaman was, but VDS? I don't think so. But I can't blame a 10-year-old for having a recency bias

Matst1

You sound like you are. I'm not saying Allison's crap; he's a world-class keeper. He's probably better than Seaman was, but VDS? I don't think so. But I can't blame a 10-year-old for having a recency bias
:houllier::lol:
Why are you acting so butt hurt because I have a different opinion to you? You might be surprised to know that’s something children do.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
That top four! Dangerous
This list is absolutely lethal. I would mb switch Shearer with Rooney since he's my favourite player ever but other than that cant argue. That midfield is absurd.

RedRocket9908

Allison, Salah, Van Dijk, Gerrard. Only 4 you could argue into a team like that. I'm not even entertaining other names. Owen isn't close.
I agree with Salah and Gerrard but not a chance Allison is ahead of keepers like Schmicheal, Cech, and Van Der Sar and Van Dijk with his 2.5 good seasons is ahead of players like Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Kompany and Adams

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think I ever saw Van Der Sar have a season as poor as Allison did in 2020/21 when he was dropping clanger after clanger.
VDS went from Juventus to Fulham. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen

Pughnichi

Shouldn’t this post be called ‘Redcafe goes into meltdown cos some Liverpool fan constructs a bias epl all time team together’

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
VDS has the edge over Allison due to his fantastic reading of the game. He elevated shotstopping to an artform. I have seen countless games where VDS would take a step to one of his posts, and calmly deal with a wicked shot by languidly catching it with his two hands. I have never seen another keeper read opponents' attacks like that. Only Neuer has similar development in his senses. Allison dies by his sword by flying to the rescue while VDS made the perilous look mundane. That is the difference between the two.

The Urban Goose

Henry shearer ronaldo
Kdb
Vieira keane
Cole terry ferdinand walker
Schmeichel

no Liverpool player comes close to even being considered.
John Terry? Seriously? There's no case for him over (eg) Vidic, VVD, Stam, Kompany... hell, even Carvalho was the better of that defensive pairing at Chelsea. If you do want a slow, "blood and thunder traditional CB" then I give you Tony Adams, who at least wasn't an oderous, allegedly racist c**t.

Rojofiam

John Terry? Seriously? There's no case for him over (eg) Vidic, VVD, Stam, Kompany... hell, even Carvalho was the better of that defensive pairing at Chelsea. If you do want a slow, "blood and thunder traditional CB" then I give you Tony Adams, who at least wasn't an oderous, allegedly racist c**t.
Stam spent 3 seasons in the Premier League