Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we sign him, that assist was class. Looks much more than just a box player.

What you both seem unable / unwilling to grasp is that there should be concerns if a pure 9, playing as a CF, who offers little else and who’s being talked up as a 70m signing for your club fails to score in a 10-0 win against complete dross.

Comparing him to Salah - a wide forward, who isn’t a pure 9 and offers a lot more, blanking in a competitive PL match is snide and should be called out as such.

Hojlund is under the microscope and should be critiqued, hard. If he’s coming to Man Utd as the lead CF that will be the norm - get used to it.

And if he’d scored 4 goals in that game, you know full well that all of you that are now claiming his blank means feck all wouldn’t be saying the same about his haul.

Offers little else? For a 20 year old striker, his hold-up and link-up play is very good.

Again, no one compared him to Salah. It is just to illustrate how ridiculous it is to be critical of a forward who didn't score in a game where his team won 10-0.

Do you really think that's all they are basing it from?
I’m sure the poster already has concerns about Hojlund but yes the premise of this whole argument is that we should be worried if a striker didnt score when his team scored 10

Insulting another member
What you both seem unable / unwilling to grasp is that there should be concerns if a pure 9, playing as a CF, who offers little else and who’s being talked up as a 70m signing for your club fails to score in a 10-0 win against complete dross.

Comparing him to Salah - a wide forward, who isn’t a pure 9 and offers a lot more, blanking in a competitive PL match is snide and should be called out as such.

Hojlund is under the microscope and should be critiqued, hard. If he’s coming to Man Utd as the lead CF that will be the norm - get used to it.

And if he’d scored 4 goals in that game, you know full well that all of you that are now claiming his blank means feck all wouldn’t be saying the same about his haul.

What you can't grasp is that it has no baring on how good of a player he is currently, or what he will become. Are you mental, its one game in a pre season match, you really are coming across as an idiot. If you don't want to sign the player, fair enough but lets not manufacture bullshit reasons to justify it.

It's okay to be critical of this potential signing, but all of this post is made up. You can find so many matches where teams won dominantly and their striker didn't score. It is literally a game of 90 minutes and there are so many factors that comes into play, and not this simple, whiny "he is a striker who couldn't score in a friendly, he sucks"-post.
It's ok to criticise other post but you shouldn't call all of a post is made up without any valid argument imo.

What exactly did I say was made up? A #9 is not the one who often score the most in a team? Or it's harder to score in a friendly match than in a competitive match?

The thing here is if he scored, say a hattrick in that 10 goals I'd bet most of the posters who now saying scoring zero is not worrying would label him as the next Haaland and we should sign him even at 100m. But when he scored feck all it's ok don't worry. This should go both ways otherwise it's a bit double standard imo.

Goals should not be the only thing matter when it come to judge a striker. But still the most important thing. We fecking need a good goal scorer and if the one we suppose to spend big money on doesn't look like one of course it's fecking worrying.

Edit: no offense but based on this thread I start to think you're actually his mom. We already have Poch's mom here you two could make some great friends I think.

Last edited:
This transfer has gone quiet news-wise. I wonder whether we are testing other options now?

There are plenty of valid reasons to be underwhelmed about the potential signing of this lad. He's got a pretty average goal record in fairly weak leagues, and seems to have been getting a lot of his goals playing on the counter in a front two. His hold-up play doesn't seem anything to write home about and he can't particularly head the ball for someone who's 6'3".
Sounds like Weghorst.

It's ok to criticise other post but you shouldn't call all of a post is made up without any valid argument imo.

What exactly did I say was made up? A #9 is not the one who often score the most in a team? Or it's harder to score in a friendly match than in a competitive match?

The thing here is if he scored, say a hattrick in that 10 goals I'd bet most of the posters who now saying scoring zero is not worrying would label him as the next Haaland and we should sign him even at 100m. But when he scored feck all it's ok don't worry. This should go both ways otherwise it's a bit double standard imo.

Goals should not be the only thing matter when it come to judge a striker. But still the most important thing. We fecking need a good goal scorer and if the one we suppose to spend big money on doesn't look like one of course it's fecking worrying.

Edit: no offense but based on this thread I start to think you're actually his mom. We already have Poch's mom here you two could make some great friends I think.
He has scored a hattrick in a more competitive environment than this already. I don’t think anyone has labelled him the next Haaland.

Have you even looked at the goals? What is he supposed to do? Are you going to criticise him because his team mates scored goals by themselves?

If Sancho scores 8 goals where every goal was a shot from 30 yards, are you going to be upset with Rashford for not scoring because he is our main goal threat?

I hope we sign him, that assist was class. Looks much more than just a box player.

He looks explosive. He’s going to cause problems and make space for others. He’ll throw himself into challenges to score that our other strikers would shirk. As far as a risky signing goes you can definitely, finally, see the logic in what we are trying to build. All this with the ownership and ffp up in the air is really good work under certain constraints

About the bolded bit, how much would you say is reasonable for him?

Have you even looked at the goals? What is he supposed to do? Are you going to criticise him because his team mates scored goals by themselves?

If Sancho scores 8 goals where every goal was a shot from 30 yards, are you going to be upset with Rashford for not scoring because he is our main goal threat?
First you didn't answer my question about the made up stuffs?

Second I criticised him because he didn't score not because his teammates scored the goals themselves. In fact I don't even get the logic of this question or what you wanted to say.

Third it's you who started criticising another poster calling his logic absurd without providing a single detail in the match to support your opinion. Now as that logic seems fine enough you started to go for the match details? Oh how convenient. Just stop moving the goal posts mate.

Tbh I really hate discussing things with any poster who dodge the real question and try moving the goal posts once they lost their point. It's just stupid and pointless so please don't quote me anymore. Anyway don't forget to contact @Amadaeus you two would make some really good friend I reckon.

About the bolded bit, how much would you say is reasonable for him?
Imo about €45-50m + add ons.

But we really need a #9, ETH seems to rate him, not my money as well so €60m + add ons is fine too I think.

80m at least
I'd say it depends on the player. We've seen how Brighton held for Cucurella and how they're holding for Caicedo. But we've also seen them sell McAllister and Trossard for cheap. So we won't know unless we ask, they signed Joao Pedro as a striker this season and have Undav as well so selling Ferguson won't hurt them as much.

I'd say it depends on the player. We've seen how Brighton held for Cucurella and how they're holding for Caicedo. But we've also seen them sell McAllister and Trossard for cheap. So we won't know unless we ask, they signed Joao Pedro as a striker this season and have Undav as well so selling Ferguson won't hurt them as much.
MacAllister had a release clause and Trossard had 6 months left on his contract. So his fee was actually quite high in context.

If the reported price tag for him is fine by you then what do you have against this signing
I'm not against this signing?

In fact if you have a look in this very thread you'd find I do support us signing him instead. That doesn't stop me from having some worry about how he'd do here though.

Tbh for me the chances he'd be great, average or flop badly are quite even. Of course I do hope we'd sign him and he'd be great here.

I'm not against this signing?

In fact if you have a look in this very thread you'd find I do support us signing him instead. That doesn't stop me from having some worry about how he'd do here though.

Tbh for me the chances he'd be great, average or flop badly are quite even. Of course I do hope we'd sign him and he'd be great here.
Fair. Agree with you especially the last part

Everyone flapping their gums about Hojlund and how prolific he apparently isn't and barely a mention of how Gasparini employs him as a striker being in stark contrast to how ETH employs a striker.

Everyone flapping their gums about Hojlund and how prolific he apparently isn't and barely a mention of how Gasparini employs him as a striker being in stark contrast to how ETH employs a striker.
Could you elaborate more on this mate? Would be very interesting imo.

What you can't grasp is that it has no baring on how good of a player he is currently, or what he will become. Are you mental, its one game in a pre season match, you really are coming across as an idiot. If you don't want to sign the player, fair enough but lets not manufacture bullshit reasons to justify it.

Calm down mate. It’s a football chat where someone has a slightly differing opinion to yourself.

No need for personal insults.

Can you elaborate a little more on this please? Genuinely interested, because I recall also reading a remark on here not too long ago that he’s been scoring a lot for his country (a quick check shows 6 in 6 matches but not sure if that’s correct). So at least what you’re saying could prove/explain a bit as well.

Guess how many league goals Salah scored overall last season - it’s 19.

Guess how many league goals Højlund has scored in his entire career thus far, spanning 3 seasons and in far weaker leagues… it’s 18.
Was Salah between the ages of 18 - 20 last season?

If not, it's a stupid comparison.

This tweet was on Reddit since late last night too. I reckon we get him sorted next week. Then hopefully a backup dm or one or two left field youth punts to loan out if there’s cash left. Little to no chance we have new owners in place by the end of this window so that’s fairly solid work that genuinely addresses our weak spots as best as possible.

There is a reason why a #9 often scores the most goals in any team. And in a friendly match it's usually much easier to score than in a competitive match. If a #9 can't score a single goal while his team scored 10, in a friendly match then something is obviously wrong here. It's so obvious unless you refuse to see it.

Tbh I started getting tired of this as I hate pointless discussion so this is my last reply on this subject.
It is you that put this forward as a point of debate. All discussions on here are relatively pointless within the grand scheme of things. Not quite sure where you're going with that one.

I understand 9s are supposed to score the most goals and that friendly matches may be easier to score in. Not always, but this one clearly was so that's fine. Those points are agreed.

What is not clear is how that leads to the conclusion that there is something "obviously wrong." That doesn't follow the above points automatically. That's only if we start from the premise that a striker must score in an individual friendly match if his team wins by a large margin. That isn't apparent for me because I see 90 mins as a very small sample to become concerned or overly enthused by. Anyone can have one great performance, one shit performance, one performance in preseason where we have no idea what they're working on or trying to do.

If we are going to make a general extrapolation from a small set of data then wouldn't we also be able to make an argument that he has scored a goal a game for Denmark, he's striking at the level of Ronaldo and Messi in their prime and Haaland presently so therefore it is very positive and there may be an assumption he can continue that rate here. International matches are harder to score in and more meaningful than friendly matches after all. Clearly in the real world anyone with half a brain cell would not believe in that conclusion because he's played a handful of games and the context is very different to playing here. A balanced take would be that it's a good start to his international career for a young player. That's after 6 games, not 1 friendly match - so actually a far more compelling set of evidence.

What I would say is that you're nitpicking with this friendly match business. I can't see any other way to describe it than that. If you were going to put together a body of concerns it would begin to amount to something that may be a case against Hojlund.

Status
Not open for further replies.