Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one has Glazers & Woodward stamped all over it, surely it's the complete opposite of what INEOS are trying to achieve..?

The problem is we need wingers and there isnt really anyone else available to sign in the next 2 days? Chiesa is off to Liverpool and Coman will probably be too expensive

Sterling, Toney, anyone…

Offer Sancho and Antony in a 2 for 1 deal

Straight swap deals are rarely ideal. It usually involve two players who are not wanted by their respective club and whom for some reason no one want to spend serious money upon. That doesn't mean that you don't usually get the occasional gem. Juventus for example got Cannavaro from Inter through a swap with Fabian Carini. However ideally you get money out of a transfer not swaps. Which is irrelevant since no one seems interested in buying him up.

Sterling is older then Sancho but that's also irrelevant and for one good reason. Jadon's contract runs till 2026. Considering that he's on silly money and will probably cause all sort of upheaval if he isn't played then I doubt it will be renewed. Hence he might be 31 for all we know because by 2026 he'll be gone. Some might suggest that Sancho's younger age might be determinant in getting a better fee. Well, Sancho has been on sale for two years now. There's no queue of clubs wanting to buy him right? So what we've got is a player on 250k a week who will probably cause all sort of mischief to leave. That means that we'll have to loan him up and since we'll look desperate to get rid off him then we'll have to pay most of his salary elsewhere.

Which brings the focus on Sterling. There's all sort of comments that he's on the decline. They might have a point of course. However a look at his stats suggest that his 'decline' might not be as drastic as one might think. He played 43 games (a reasonable chunk of whom as a reserve/was substituted) scoring 10 goals and making 8 assists. That's quite good considering the circus he's playing in. To put things into perspective Rashford scored 8 goals and produced 6 assists on an equal amount of games. Garnacho scored 10 goals and produced 5 assists but in more games (50). Let's not quote Sancho's stats for us shall we?

On top of that the rumor circulating is that he'll be getting a paycut to join us (probably paid by Chelsea). The same thing isn't being mentioned on the United side regarding Sancho. So based on that rumor, we'll get Sterling for let's say 150k a week and we get rid of Sancho whose on 250k a week with all the circus, his unsuitability in playing in the EPL (winger with no pace) and his antics. Considering everything (ie no one wants to buy Sancho) than that's hardly a bad deal as long as its done right and Sterling understand his squad player role.

a- we'll be getting a 30m worth of player who wants to be at United in exchange to someone no want wants and who doesn't want to be here
b- we'll be sparing 10.4m in wages
c- Sterling has better stats to our wingers and will be an experienced figure around Garnacho and Amad
d- we'll get rid of Sancho's toxicity
e- we'll export that toxicity to a rival side.

It isn't selective at all, it's the only information we have to go off right now. It might reduce slightly if Chelsea subsidise a deal but there's no evidence to suggest those terms will change dramatically.

Yeah but his Chelsea wage doesn't mean we are guaranteed to pay him the same or close to it. So yes, its hypothetical. As is the suggestion that he won't lower his wage demands. Which is fine to debate, the whole conversation is what-ifs, but suggesting that a high United wage is already set in stone is totally false.

Garnacho would if he was English. We do have players who are not English

Aside from that its a fact Sterlings form has been subpar for at least 2 years hence why Chelsea are selling

Garnacho wouldn't have made the squad—he simply wasn’t better than any of the wingers who were selected. It's worth noting that even some very good players were left out, too.

While I agree that Sterling has been underwhelming, so has Sancho, yet Chelsea, along with other clubs in Europe, still seem interested in him. Managers often spot qualities in a player that they believe could work within their tactical setup. Maybe that's the case with Sterling.

Yeah but his Chelsea wage doesn't mean we are guaranteed to pay him the same or close to it. So yes, its hypothetical. As is the suggestion that he won't lower his wage demands. Which is fine to debate, the whole conversation is what-ifs, but suggesting that a high United wage is already set in stone is totally false.
:lol: A player doesn't go from earning £325k a week with 3 years remaining of his contract to a modest wage at his new club. Even half that amount is a significant wage, so it is a guarantee. I don't know what kind of deal you're expecting Chelsea to do for us.

:lol: A player doesn't go from earning £325k a week with 3 years remaining of his contract to a modest wage at his new club. Even half that amount is a significant wage, so it is a guarantee. I don't know what kind of deal you're expecting Chelsea to do for us.
I’m not sure you’re keeping up.

Chelsea owe him over £70m and it’s reported this would need to be settled.

The talk is United take him after this happens.

Few years ago. Sunday league team had United in it ;) . But who said anything about playing for them?

You mentioned Troy Deeney and dismissed his opinion based on the team he played for. If that's the logic you're using, then what do we know? After all, neither of us have played professionally.

Straight swap deals are rarely ideal. It usually involve two players who are not wanted by their respective club and whom for some reason no one want to spend serious money upon. That doesn't mean that you don't usually get the occasional gem. Juventus for example got Cannavaro from Inter through a swap with Fabian Carini. However ideally you get money out of a transfer not swaps. Which is irrelevant since no one seems interested in buying him up.

Sterling is older then Sancho but that's also irrelevant and for one good reason. Jadon's contract runs till 2026. Considering that he's on silly money and will probably cause all sort of upheaval if he isn't played then I doubt it will be renewed. Hence he might be 31 for all we know because by 2026 he'll be gone. Some might suggest that Sancho's younger age might be determinant in getting a better fee. Well, Sancho has been on sale for two years now. There's no queue of clubs wanting to buy him right? So what we've got is a player on 250k a week who will probably cause all sort of mischief to leave. That means that we'll have to loan him up and since we'll look desperate to get rid off him then we'll have to pay most of his salary elsewhere.

Which brings the focus on Sterling. There's all sort of comments that he's on the decline. They might have a point of course. However a look at his stats suggest that his 'decline' might not be as drastic as one might think. He played 43 games (a reasonable chunk of whom as a reserve/was substituted) scoring 10 goals and making 8 assists. That's quite good considering the circus he's playing in. To put things into perspective Rashford scored 8 goals and produced 6 assists on an equal amount of games. Garnacho scored 10 goals and produced 5 assists but in more games (50). Let's not quote Sancho's stats for us shall we?

On top of that the rumor circulating is that he'll be getting a paycut to join us (probably paid by Chelsea). The same thing isn't being mentioned on the United side regarding Sancho. So based on that rumor, we'll get Sterling for let's say 150k a week and we get rid of Sancho whose on 250k a week with all the circus, his unsuitability in playing in the EPL (winger with no pace) and his antics. Considering everything (ie no one wants to buy Sancho) than that's hardly a bad deal as long as its done right and Sterling understand his squad player role.

a- we'll be getting a 30m worth of player who wants to be at United in exchange to someone no want wants and who doesn't want to be here
b- we'll be sparing 10.4m in wages
c- Sterling has better stats to our wingers and will be an experienced figure around Garnacho and Amad
d- we'll get rid of Sancho's toxicity
e- we'll export that toxicity to a rival side.
100%

Nobody’s dream but under certain conditions it could be beneficial in the short term for United.

I don’t think it’s realistic to discuss this transfer as if we’re paying his full wages

Either he takes a cut or Chelsea subsidise it, or a bit of both

You mentioned Troy Deeney and dismissed his opinion based on the team he played for. If that's the logic you're using, then what do we know? After all, neither of us have played professionally.
If you’re using this logic this place shouldn’t exist as none of us have a right to an opinion on top level football?

According to who?

That money is owed to Sterling over the remainder of his contract. The whole point of the proposed swap deal is to mitigate the losses for both sides on Sterling and Sancho.

Chelsea would expect united to subsidise some of this when buying him, otherwise why would they pay off his whole contract, only to then give him away to united? The whole point of selling him is to get all or part of his wages off their books.

I really don’t understand why suddenly this summer teams are having to pay off players. If they agree to leave then that should be it, as it’s always been! Even if clubs have always paid players to leave, then why are we only hearing about it now? So weird

No matter how I think about this deal, it makes zero sense to replace Sancho with a washed up 30 years old player (who is also a problem and toxic). It's a stupid deal and it's very irritating.
Is Sterling a toxic/problematic player? What issues has he had?

He's a bit like Joe Cole, needs specific instructions and a whip cracking manager to get the best out of him. Went to Chelsea and clearly felt he could play with a bit more freedom, etc.

Yikes. Forgot Sir Matt managed Liverpool before us and Dennis Law was signed from City. Silly me.
Sir Matt never managed Liverpool, he played for them and he also played for City, Dennis Law also played for City but we din't sign him from them, that was Torino

I really don’t understand why suddenly this summer teams are having to pay off players. If they agree to leave then that should be it, as it’s always been! Even if clubs have always paid players to leave, then why are we only hearing about it now? So weird
The AWB situation was completely misrepresented. It was clarified on Talk of the Devils podcast that AWB wanted an enhanced signing-on fee from WHUFC to reflect the fact he was within the last year of his contact and they had effectively saved a fair amount of money on the transfer fee from that fact. AWB could also stall for 12 months and then be in a stronger negotiating position for any suitors for an even larger signing-on fee as a free agent, therefore AWB wanted a payment falling between the money saved from his transfer value and what he may have been able to realise if he waited an additional year.

I don't think paying off is being normalised.

Real Madrid were desperate to sell Di Maria and Özil, PSG desperate to sell Ugarte and Barcelona desperate to sell Frenkie de Jong but he refused and even so desperate for Gündogan to leave they let him go for free. Chelsea wanting him out doesn't mean much at all. They have absolutely no need for him with their 7 wingers, but playing Mudryk ahead is laughable because Sterling is objectively a much better player.

What's the problem? Sterling bang your wife or something? What's so horrendous about scoring goals and assisting more than our players? Don't know why I bother, you're not even replying to the post but just voice your opinion regardless of facts.
You need to chill out my friend. It’s ok for us all to have different opinions. If he signs I’ll support him and I’ll hope and pray that your opinion on him is right and mine is wrong.

I just think it’s a bloody stupid transfer when we have so many other high earners that are proving impossible to shift. Adding another £300k a week 30 year old to the wage bill just doesn’t seem like a very sensible approach, but time will tell mate :-)

Garnacho wouldn't have made the squad—he simply wasn’t better than any of the wingers who were selected. It's worth noting that even some very good players were left out, too.

While I agree that Sterling has been underwhelming, so has Sancho, yet Chelsea, along with other clubs in Europe, still seem interested in him. Managers often spot qualities in a player that they believe could work within their tactical setup. Maybe that's the case with Sterling.
Sancho is young and Chelsea and Juve are hardly clubs that make good decisions. Sancho has been available all summer and no top level club looked in his direction for a reason.

I think Garnacho could have made the squad if he was English. His season was Mainoo level and he always made a positive impact in big games even off the bench. Garnacho last season is underrated by United fans

we've been hearing about it for years

Good loan signing but problematic for long term contract. I rate him but the problem is his wage, he will again be a high earner which would mean we can't get rid off him easily if it doesn't workout.

Sancho is young and Chelsea and Juve are hardly clubs that make good decisions. Sancho has been available all summer and no top level club looked in his direction for a reason.

I think Garnacho could have made the squad if he was English. His season was Mainoo level and he always made a positive impact in big games even off the bench. Garnacho last season is underrated by United fans
His wages are the only issues for all club not his talent.

We wouldn't do it under those circumstances. I actually think we won’t do it because in my opinion we only would if the deal was too good to be true.

E.g Chelsea buying Sancho and loaning Sterling covering most of his wages

I think the news around this is just helping us twist Juves arm regarding Sancho and helping Chelsea find a market for Sterling

Im going to go out on a limb and say we have another target
Yeah this version of United won't entertain this deal in any format that Chelsea would find palpable.

It’s always been like that, it’s nothing new. They have valid employment contracts and most will expect the club to pay the remainder off. It’s just that in previous times nobody was that interested in the details of transfers, payment terms etc

It's like box office numbers. It's only a small part of the actual economy and what's reported is gross, with rarely any details of the sharing that happens.

Transfer news do rely on that sticker shock effect. Big numbers that jump off the page. But there's a lot of moving parts that don't get reported on and clubs are not especially forthcoming about how the sausage is made.

Agent commissions, installments, payment structure, contract law and some amount of labor regulations, signing bonus, currency fluctuation, image rights, performance bonuses, loyalty bonuses... Remember that Tevez's rights as a footballer were apparently shared by a couple of holdings. The wider public doesn't care about that (fans a little more by necessity with FFP/PSR being in play) and no one wants to read The Accounting Bugle.

But assume that when you read McTominay goes to Napoli for 25m£ either a a sizable part of that number don't go to the club coffers or that there is a variety of undisclosed sums changing hands. Plus a ton of administrative work, registration and fixed costs.

Please no, I would rather we bring some rando winger from the Championship (like we did with Dan James) for 15m than sign Sterling

Ye but I bet we watch Sterling play a lot more than Deeney does. As fans we watch games week after week.

Status
Not open for further replies.