Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't hate this more.

It just shows how badly the whole Sanco saga was handled that nearly a year on, we still cant rid of Sancho and are potentially having to resort to swapping him for a player that is unwanted by Chelsea, our fans hate, is way past his best and on a huge contract.

I couldn't hate this more.

It just shows how badly the whole Sanco saga was handled that nearly a year on, we still cant rid of Sancho and are potentially having to resort to swapping him for a player that is unwanted by Chelsea, our fans hate, is way past his best and on a huge contract.

Hopefully, Sancho and Antony are our last large magnitude blunders.

Personally I feel calm about this whatever happens with him. Interesting to see some stats paint a positive light but others a negative one

Can’t believe Ineos would sanction this. Sterling was a fantastic player at City but he’s damaged goods now. I’d actually prefer keeping Sancho and he’s not even mentality good enough for this level.

No way does he get a contract like that

He has got 3 years left on his current Chelsea contract. He wont come to us on anything shorter than that. Why would you, when you have 350k a week guaranteed for the next 3 years. He also wont accept the United CL qualification reduction. He will want same terms as he has at Chelsea, if not improved.

He's not Nico Williams, but people are not understanding how desperately we need a winger that can do something. Diallo and Garnacho have time on their hands, but at present their form is not consistent. Even still, there's absolutely nothing on the bench that can help out when their form dips.

I love Rashford, but playing him into form is clearly not happening, we can't have passengers.
We’re not that desperate that we bound ourselves to an expensive and ageing wide player who will become deadweight fairly soon. I don’t doubt that he’s better than what we have but there’s very little medium or long term upside to this transfer.

Bit off topic but if INEOS consider a 29 year old then gives me hope they wouldn't think Toney or Rabiot are too old to sign either

Bit off topic but if INEOS consider a 29 year old then gives me hope they wouldn't think Toney or Rabiot are too old to sign either
I’d prefer us to stick with the 25/26 and under policy. Last thing we need is a squad riddled with soon to be deadweight players.

i'm sorry but i would rather have a 29 yr old Sterling than a 24 yr old Sancho who can't beat a player 1v1 or a 24 yr old Antony that can't beat anyone 1v1

sterling is a better dribbler than either nad probably both combined

Now I am 100% certain that nobody watched him in the past 3 years.

By that logic, what do you know? And by the same logic Deeney knows thousand times more than you :lol:
But he’s a professional he should know more but not every professional does. We watch teams week in week out as fans. Do you think he watches Sterling every single time he plays? I doubt it

Now I am 100% certain that nobody watched him in the past 3 years.

He has struggled since Euro 2021 that's a very valid point, like I said earlier I'm relaxed about this but if he was so much of a Utd fan then would never have entertained playing for scousers or City.

Someone said above. The problem we are trying to solve here is Sancho.

We are all looking at Sterling but the real deal is Sancho.

I can’t see this happening unless we agree a greatly reduced salary compared to what he’s on currently. We really should be avoiding this type of transfer if at all possible.

I can’t see this happening unless we agree a greatly reduced salary compared to what he’s on currently. We really should be avoiding this type of transfer if at all possible.

Would prefer selling Sancho for cash rather than getting involved in this swap, however doesn't feel there is anyone with the money

I wouldn't consider either deadweight
Sterling is good - probably better than our wingers but I’m extremely wary of expensive (fee or wage wise) players approaching 30 who are hard to move on and have no malleability with regards to position / role / tactics.

I was confused by the Casemiro move despite his reputation and it’s turned out out badly.

Someone said above. The problem we are trying to solve here is Sancho.

We are all looking at Sterling but the real deal is Sancho.
What’s the difference in wages?

Give him the number 7 shirt whilst we are at it. Our current number 7 needs to go back to 19.

Atleast Sterling is more deserving.

Sterling is good - probably better than our wingers but I’m extremely wary of expensive (fee or wage wise) players approaching 30 who are hard to move on and have no malleability with regards to position / role / tactics.

I was confused by the Casemiro move despite his reputation and it’s turned out out badly.

What’s the difference in wages?

You can be certain that INEOS will be aware of the difficulty they could face moving him on. There is no way they haven't thought about that scenario and how to deal with it already so I'm very calm

He has struggled since Euro 2021 that's a very valid point, like I said earlier I'm relaxed about this but if he was so much of a Utd fan then would never have entertained playing for scousers or City.

That's ridiculous. He is a footballer who all have short careers and never know what options open up for them. Of course a young player would go to a big club offering money and playing time no matter who you support. Especially if that team you support have shown no interest in buying you then

If I were a footballer and United were showing no interest but Liverpool or City were (with the right conditions), and I'm at some midtable team at best, then I am off ASAP

As fans I think we can say that but as people who's job/life this is, you do whatever is best for you

How on earth can anyone believe we are being run competently if we sign fecking Sterling?
I can’t believe what I’m reading on here tonight. Sterling was an absolute laughing stock on here a few months back. Now we are being linked with him and suddenly people are claiming he’d be our best winger.
First of all, Gareth, the people in charge are exceptional at their jobs and are known through the football world as some of the best at identifying players to teams.

Secondly, what are you even talking about? Sterling has not been a laughing stock, and if he had been, that would be genuinely hilarious because his output last season is better than any of our wingers in much less playing time (Garnacho, Rashford) which means he is much more efficient than any of our current wingers. So if he is a laughing stock, what are our wingers?

Not only does he score more than our wingers - he creates more, he works harder, he has better movement and can actually dribble. He is much better at link up than any of our attackers, and is an actual offensive threat as opposed to Rashford.
Sterling isn't gonna be our savior or anything, but he definitely is better than any of ours at the moment, which is what it boils down to. Your reaction is so weird, acting like we're signing the right footed Antony for €100m.

The second highest scoring winger in PL history is suddenly a laughing stock? Get a grip.

I can sort of see why this makes sense as a last minute panic signing. They were hoping Rashford would come back all guns blazing like the season before last. But he hasn't. That means we lack goals and seniority in the attack.
A loan with us paying 200ish of his wages with option to buy would make sense. I can't see anyone come in for him on the wages he is on. Unless it's Saudi.

It doesn't make sense to use his omission from the England squad as a measure of his ability. The reality is that neither of our wingers would likely make it into the current England team, which is stacked with talent.
Garnacho would if he was English. We do have players who are not English

Aside from that its a fact Sterlings form has been subpar for at least 2 years hence why Chelsea are selling

I'll take your word for it but only because your letters are bigger and bolder than everyone else's.
The now cowardly edited away big letters led you astray. He left without having made it in to the first team at Liverpool.

How do we know what we'll be getting with Sterling. He could turn out to be anything. And with his age we'll be stuck with him.
By everything that matters from a winger he was better than all of our wingers last season.

Unless you are privy to more information it would be a bit silly to assume a player whose last 3 seasons were:

8 goals 4 assists 1983 mins
6 goals 3 assists in 1902 mins
13 goals 5 assists in 2127 mins

Won’t be able to contribute in a meaningful way.

Even his worst year he’s had 9 goal contributions in the PL. We need those options in the squad and I’m not sure Antony is going to provide them, Rashford is still a big question mark (and this allows us to keep him fully fit and fresh for games), Garnacho I would hope could become our best inside forward/winger in terms of goals and Amad is just breaking through so can’t be fully relied on.

Garnacho is a comfortably better option now. Amad is unproven at this level but I'd rather give him the chance and even this broken version of Rashford is much of a muchness with Sterling's current level of ability.

He might out perform one of the latter two on any given day but how many times do we have to sign these 30 year olds on big money before we learn our lesson? It's an accident waiting to happen.
Garnacho is potentially the better player but if we look at the most recent seasons from both Sterling outperforms him.

I like Garnacho, I hope he can develop into a world class RW, but having someone a bit better than him in the short term takes pressure off Rashford, and gives us a bit of experience upfront that we sorely lack.

We also have no idea what this deal for Sterling looks like, big money? Where have you seen that?

I actually trust INEOS to do a sensible thing here. Having seen them get sensible fees paid for Yoro, Zirkzee, De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte I have no reason to doubt them.

Trouble with this is they both have contracts guaranteeing those payments. They are unlikely to take a pay cut, so unless Chelsea contribute to their wage that’s what we probably need to pay. Same with Sancho - he’s not taking a pay cut either as he’s under contract with us.
This is the issue with this deal, we want Sancho out because his performances don't match his contract and the same is true for Chelsea. It doesn't help us financially to take on a longer contract, with higher wages and for an ageing player. If we are going to do this it has to be at our own terms and ensure that we reduce the wages we are to pay Sterling. If not, then its better just to farm Sancho out on loan until his contract expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.