Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I don't want him for childish reasons, but he still outscored Garnacho despite being "terrible" in a completely dysfunctional Chelsea side. I think most people just remember that Leicester game and his horrific free kick.

Sterling has premier league pedigree and sorry to say I actually agree with Deeney on this one.
He only got 1 more goal in the league and a winger shouldn't solely be judged on goals anyway. Harvey Barnes is a better goalscorer than most wingers in the league even though he's extremely limited in most other areas (hence why he rarely starts).

After reading pages of this discussion now, I am certain that none of these people that want him watched him at Chelsea

I genuinely have no idea how anyone would want him anywhere near the place.

I'd terminate Sancho's contract before I'd do any business with Chelsea.

You're deliberately pretending that Amad and Garnacho are our only wide players when you know it's not true. Rashford, Garncho, Amad, Antony is 4 wingers for 2 positions, it's absolutely standard in terms of numbers. And the likes of Mount can also cover there.

Sancho is a non-entity that doesn't actually need replacing. He barely played a game for us last season and we sent him to Germany without a replacement.

We already have Rashford stealing Garnacho's minutes in the first 3 games of the season. We don't need another old past it player further reducing his minutes.

Now, if you're telling me we could replace Sancho with someone who is actually good enough, or has huge potential, then fair enough, we'd actually benefit from that. I don't see the need for us to go from 4 players who aren't good enough to 5 players who aren't good enough.

What exactly has Sterling shown Chelsea's squad about going the distance in the last 2 seasons? This is not 2019 Sterling, and we are not Manchester City. He'll be even worse for us than he's been for Chelsea given we'll get an even older and slower version of him.
I mean, I'm not. Your post indicated that you'd rather play Amad and Garnacho as much as possible. I am arguing that this shouldn't be the case.

Sancho is useless. I believe bringing a player in to replace him who is more productive and actually wants to play football is a nice competitive balance. Having a 5th winger isn't exactly a bad thing and having a seasoned pro who has been around the block is also quite beneficial. We don't need to invest in the future here as we already have Garnacho and Amad. But, we do need to protect their minutes right now.

He only got 1 more goal in the league and a winger shouldn't solely be judged on goals anyway. Harvey Barnes is a better goalscorer than most wingers in the league even though he's extremely limited in most other areas (hence why he rarely starts).
Harvey Barnes is actually very good and had injuries hamper his progression, for what it's worth.

Same assists as well. Garnacho is the only one that matches what Sterling did last season and Sterling had 10 less matches to do it in.

To repeat, I don't want him, but I'd argue people must not have watched us last season if they're turning their nose up at Sterling.

Harvey Barnes is actually very good and had injuries hamper his progression, for what it's worth.
I've always considered him limited technically despite racking up good numbers. My opinion on that is unlikely to change. If we were going for an older English winger, Bowen would be the one I'd be up for.

So both Chelsea AND Sterling have burnt their bridges with each other.
Which means that United get a cheap deal including wages here.
Sterling has a lot to prove and has the passion to do so.
This could actually work?
Sterling has said that he was in terrible mood over the summer to miss out on the squad for the Euros and wants to play so much for the national team again.

So i guess he has still a big motivatio to play on the highest level.

I think Chelsea are being played for mugs. We surely don't want Sterling but if we can dump Sancho on them it's a win.

He has a point to prove and can still be a very effective player, espcially against teams who just sit and defend. He has that quick movement and is very elusive. He's no playmaker, and he isn't clinical.. but he can still cause opposing defences problems.

But I would not take him, because I woudn't play him ahead of Rashford or Garnacho. And his wages are nuts.

Last edited:
I think Sterling is still a pretty decent player and even his "past it" season was better than anything Sancho has served up here. My issue with this, is the boy has been playing regularly since he was 18 years old averaging about 35 games a season for club and country. It's very rare that those players last to their mid 30's in the Premier League (even a physical freak like Ronaldo was way off the pace when he came back).

He'll likely get a 4+1 contract on high wages and we'll be repeating the same mistakes we've made over and over again.

Ok. You said that he wasn't better stat wise than Rashford last season. Then you go on to state that actually he was.

Also, he wouldn't be coming here as one of our highest earners.

Anything else?

Adding 1 extra goal to the team…someone better put Man City are on notice 21 is coming! :devil:

I don't know if this is true but don't see us paying Sterling that much

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/s/LanUMQ0mz8

No chance. He’ll either agree to forego what he’s owed by Chelsea (fat chance of that happening), and form part of a Sancho/Sterling 1:1 swap or he’ll agree to a compensation package from Chelsea in exchange for his contract being terminated, leaving United free to pursue him as a free agent.

27zfe38m09ld1.png
Would you like a LW Garnacho but a bit better and a RW Garnacho?

Yes.

I'd have to agree with the ex-Watford, Birmingham and HMP prisoner

I think he'd be a decent option for us all things considered, but still think it's a bad idea.

We've built well towards the future this year and need to continue with that. Sterling would be another short term fix, long term problem.

We have enough of those left as it is, let's not add another one.

8 goals and 4 assists last season in 1983 mins is a contribution every ~165 mins.

Rashford was 7 goals 3 assists in 2278 mins so a goal contribution every ~227 mins.

Sterling might actually be the more consistent and better player last season.

He’s played both wings, AM/SS too. On loan with Chelsea subsidising wages yeah ok. But if it’s a permanent deal I’m not sure how happy I’d be.
I can’t believe I’ve changed my mind. But I have.

Having actually looked into Sterlings season he’d probably be our best winger on current ability.

I think Sterling is still a pretty decent player and even his "past it" season was better than anything Sancho has served up here. My issue with this, is the boy has been playing regularly since he was 18 years old averaging about 35 games a season for club and country. It's very rare that those players last to their mid 30's in the Premier League (even a physical freak like Ronaldo was way off the pace when he came back).

He'll likely get a 4+1 contract on high wages and we'll be repeating the same mistakes we've made over and over again.
He really wouldn't

Glad to see more people using logic
My level of happiness with it entirely depends on the fees and wages involved now. But you can clearly see the logic behind it is he is in metrics a better winger last season than all of ours.

I struggle to see a world where we sign Sterling on a permanent. We’ve clearly been focused on reducing the wage bill and building younger squad, so to swap Sancho for Sterling doesn’t make any sense.

If however, Chelsea would be happy to loan us Sterling without an obligation to buy, and either covering part of his wages or without a loan fee, with Sancho going the other way on a loan with a nice obligation - that I could be onboard with.

He’s not a bad player, and would give us a much needed experienced option who can play across the frontline. If we could somehow agree something like the above it’ll be a masterstroke.

My level of happiness with it entirely depends on the fees and wages involved now. But you can clearly see the logic behind it is he is in metrics a better winger last season than all of ours.
There is plenty of logic behind it. On like 125k a week he would save us a lot of money and be a really good squad player for a few years.

This is the worse piece of business this team can make this summer. Instantly destroys everything they've done right so far.
Not sure it’s going to happen - but if it does then look at the terms of the deal. Our guys now are no mugs dealing with these sort of things. Might make us able to get one more player in - plus he will sell about 5 more shirts than Sancho

Ah feck it, just do it. INEOS can't just go round doing the thing that everyone agrees is a good idea all the time. They've gotta show all of us that they're more clever than everyone else.

That means doing things we all think we know are stupid just so they can prove us all idiots. Bring it on; I am ready.

So Chelsea pay £25m for Sancho and pay half of Sterling's 325 a week wages whilst he's at United? Yeah, no. That's a disastrous deal for Chelsea. The only reason we should even be entertaining this is to get out of Sterling's contract completely.
I think your alternative is having a player on 325k per week playing in your reserves

If the options are either swapping with Sterling or keeping Sancho I’d much rather Sterling. Far from ideal though.

Pretty clear if this went through our best winger combo would be Sterling on the left, Garnacho on the right.

Amad has already shown in the space of 2 games that hes not up to being a nailed on starter at this stage.

Rio is a huge transfer muppet but he’s probably not even referencing the Sterling move. Hasn’t he got Ronaldo coming on his channel? Could be that.

How on earth can anyone believe we are being run competently if we sign fecking Sterling?

He really wouldn't

The most reported story is he's on 300,000 a week for 3 more years. You don't think he'd be looking to be close the same to move. He could pull a Bogarde if he wanted to and Chelsea couldn't do anything about it unless they paid him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.