6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt really call the tackle horrible he was fouled just before hand and jumped in a bit but was never any danger of him doing any damage to Pienaar

Rafael and new RB next season will be perfect. But I guess LvG does not rate him.
I know Valencia is doing a job, but in games against inferior opposition, Rafael will have a lot to offer.
Rafael being behind Valencia and McNair is nonsense, I think it's a wrong call from LvG.

Rafael and new RB next season will be perfect. But I guess LvG does not rate him.
I know Valencia is doing a job, but in games against inferior opposition, Rafael will have a lot to offer.
Rafael being behind Valencia and McNair is nonsense, I think it's a wrong call from LvG.
I guess that he isn't doing it on the training ground. LVG said players need to show it there to get in the side.
Rafael is clearly doing something wrong as he isn't even getting an opportunity.

I guess that he isn't doing it on the training ground. LVG said players need to show it there to get in the side.
Rafael is clearly doing something wrong as he isn't even getting an opportunity.

Maybe, but he doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't give 100% when playing football, training or not.

Yeh he's off in the summer. LvG massively doesn't rate him.

A real shame since I thought he was developing into a top player in Fergie's last season. Too many of our younger players have just fallen flat.

Maybe, but he doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't give 100% when playing football, training or not.
Totally given, he always gives it everything on the pitch. I guess we won't know until either he is sold or gets into the team. I don't buy that he isn't fit or not match ready. Maybe this is just a LVG master plan to get him revved up, ready to be released on the pitch....I doubt it though.

I think he's possibly too unpredictable and plays with too much ferocity for van Gaal's liking. The manager constantly talks about balance and we know he's a stickler for following roles down to a T. It's a real shame as Rafa is one of my favourite United players and I rate him really highly. Would be really disappointing if he was allowed to leave rather than given a real chance.

I would think LVG has already made up his mind on Rafael and he will be sold. McNair has been good for his age but there is nothing that justifies him getting a place ahead of Rafael.

Good list there - I don't think you've missed out any big names. I cannot disagree with much of what you have said.

I don't think Clyne is actually close to Rafael as a full-back, though that may change with his development. He clearly has potential and has performed very well this season, but he's still not a massive improvement (though still an improvement), in the form of his life, over a Rafael who is probably playing the worst football he has ever played. I don't mean to underrate him, though - he clearly has some quality. Coleman is a solid player, though I feel he is terribly overrated - like his teammate Baines, I feel people tend to gloss over his deficiencies at the back because he isn't called Luis Anderson da Silva, or something. He is actually not so great defensively & I feel pundits (and PL fans alike) don't pick up on it as much as they should do.

Danilo looks like a good player for the future. He's a year younger than Rafael, too. I think he has a lot of good qualities (both in defence and attack) and would actually suit us very well. Again, however, I don't see him as much of an improvement on Rafael, if any at all. At least he is fit, though.

On an unrelated note, I really like the look Lucas Digne. He looks like a brilliant left-back, prospect-wise. He can even play on the left of midfield. PSG have quite a player on their hands. If he develops properly (one never knows), I think France may have their left-back position sorted for the next 10 years or more.

Nothing near a top player. Trust me he's overated and he won't be first choice for France or PSG

Layvin Kurzawa from Monaco is the real deal

Nothing near a top player. Trust me he's overated and he won't be first choice for France or PSG

Everytime i read his name i have to think about Guidetti.

1413328481647_wps_77_Sweden_s_John_Guidetti_L_.jpg

:lol:

I hope that Rafael stays, but I do feel much more comfortable with Valencia at RB.

I'd find it really hard to believe that Rafael is not training well. Just seems like LVG is content with reliable Valencia. As for McNair at RB the other day, supposedly Rafael really was just coming back to fitness.

LVG just seems highly averse to putting on players that are deemed riskier even though they may provide more to the team. Herrera is in the same boat I think - could offer the team a lot but, his style is not one to conform to the rigid way LVG wants us playing right now.

To be fair, there are many that agree with you - he doesn't always impress when given a rare chance & there are times when his weaknesses are exposed, but I just think he has all the makings of a potentially top player. I don't actually think he's there just yet, of course. Nowhere near. He cannot even get games ahead of Maxwell.

Kurzawa I have not seen much of this season (I stopped watching French football regularly about a year ago), but I do recall watching him before in the youth tournaments & he always stood out. He's actually older than Digne, but is definitely a huge prospect. He is linked with a move to Arsenal, is he not?

To be fair, there are many that agree with you - he doesn't always impress when given a rare chance & there are times when his weaknesses are exposed, but I just think he has all the makings of a potentially top player. I don't actually think he's there just yet, of course. Nowhere near. He cannot even get games ahead of Maxwell.

Kurzawa I have not seen much of this season (I stopped watching French football regularly about a year ago), but I do recall watching him before in the youth tournaments & he always stood out. He's actually older than Digne, but is definitely a huge prospect. He is linked with a move to Arsenal, is he not?

He has been recently, but you have to wonder whether it's just a case of 2 + 2 = Kurzawa.

He has been recently, but you have to wonder whether it's just a case of 2 + 2 = Kurzawa.

Perhaps you are right. That said, while I can't imagine any club would be happy to let him go, it's not like Monaco is a great place to be playing your football - there are other places that will pay more money that actually have fans. Even Falcao spoke about how bad it was like to play in front of just a few thousand people every week despite being one of the top sides in the division. I can see a lot of big clubs being in for him in the next season or two, where he will surely look to find a way out.

Perhaps you are right. That said, while I can't imagine any club would be happy to let him go, it's not like Monaco is a great place to be playing your football - there are other places that will pay more money that actually have fans. Even Falcao spoke about how bad it was like to play in front of just a few thousand people every week despite being one of the top sides in the division. I can see a lot of big clubs being in for him in the next season or two, where he will surely look to find a way out.

No doubt other clubs will be coming in for him if he continues to impress - quality LB's are few and far between. With regards to Arsenal, I think it came about the time rumours of Monreal moving back to Spain surfaced. If Monreal does move back to Spain at the end of the season then I think Arsenal's interest would be genuine. But credit where it's due, Monreal has been terrific at LB this season.

Last edited:
No doubt other clubs will be coming in for him if he continues to impress - quality LB's are few and far between. With regards to Arsenal, I think it came about the time rumours of Monreal moving back to Spain surfaced. If Monreal, does move back to Spain at the end of the season then I think Arsenal's interest would be genuine. But credit where it's due, Monreal has been terrific at LB this season.

Indeed. I'll be surprised if he's still there by the time 16/17 comes around (assuming he has no major injury or decline in form). Agreed re Monreal - he's actually done very well, especially considering how things were looking for him when he started. I will reserve judgement for next season to see if it has just been a flash-in-the-pan bit of form, though he did show quality before he came to Arsenal, so who knows. He may well keep it up.

Big fan, but I wonder if his career will go the same way as his brother. Fabio can't even get on the Cardiff bench at the moment from what I saw.

What happened to that boy? I was always on his corner, was pissed on Fergie loaned him out, signed Buttner and gave his number to RVP. Both of them have been a massive disappointment overall

4-6mill? he's a crock, hardly anyone rates him outside of Sir Alex's United staff and our sales to date bar the Ronaldo deal have tended to be rather low to say the least.

A shame - his partnership with AV down the wing was always strong and he could attack. Very strange why he isn't getting more of a run now that we have a flat back four. He didn't look great at RWB but it took AV and Young time there too so I don't think that should be against him..bu it seems LvG doesn't rate him.

Last edited:
He can't stay fit which is why he won't be given his chance.

Van Gaal doesn't want a large squad, he needs players who are reliable. Rafael, despite being arguably better at right back than Valencia, can't be relied upon as much, which is why Valencia will start ahead of him for the rest of the season. If you've got a winning side who perform well the last thing the manager wants to do is make changes to it. Whilst I don't think we are playing well, we are getting results.

4-6mill? he's a crock, hardly anyone rates him outside of Sir Alex's United staff and our sales to date bar the Ronaldo deal have tended to be rather low to say the least.
I was going to say £5-7m but, like you say, we don't seem to be good at getting high prices (unlike Chelsea) so maybe this is optimistic.

Tevez didn't graft too much in training but he was great on the pitch.

How much do people realistically think will we get for Rafael when he is sold ?

Considerably less than we could have obtained, but then United rarely sell to a profit and Van Gaal's mismanagement of the player makes for an additional handicap.

He can't stay fit which is why he won't be given his chance.

Funny how that rule doesn't appear to be applied universally, for those players with a comparable injury record this season.

Van Gaal doesn't want a large squad,

Do you think that prudent, bearing in mind the nature of the PL and hopes of battling on four fronts?

Whilst such might alleviate his questionable competence with regard to rotation, it is also likely to cost the squad in other ways as was witnessed over Xmas-New Year.

Well that's curtains for my favourite player. And Welbeck's departure still hurts as he was my other favourite.

This is sufficiently noteworthy to warrant at least some questioning from the media i feel. Considering McNair's relative inexperience at RB and the occasion of two recent FA Cup matches, this seeming banishment from even the bench is more indicative of disciplinary action of some kind.

Last edited:
Van Gaal is an idiot if he thinks McNair and Valencia should be ahead based on whatever it is he is smoking.

Rafael was our second best player behind Van Persie in Fergie's last season(i know people will say Carrick but not in my opinion). Even last season Rafael was doing well when he was playing, till November and then got caught in the Moyes' disease.

Even this season when he has played, he has dominated the right flank unlike any other player we have to dominate a flank - Not Shaw and not even Di Maria.

Van Gaal seems to have some weird notion of winning and attractive football, one which i don't agree with at all at this point of time

Status
Not open for further replies.