6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
How? Way I see it is van Gaal, and perhaps Giggs, has lost patience with Rafael's constant injuries. Which is nothing to do with his ability.

Read the thread, theres a large proportion of people in questioning his ability.

Yeah it's harsh, but that's why LvG is our coach. I like Rafael too and would probably keep him as backup choice. But we did that with Anderson, Cleverley, Fletcher and look what happened. It's not really new news that Rafael can't stay fit and LvG gave him the chance at the beginning of the season, but it seems that he has realized now that any plan with Rafael as RB will not work. Valencia is solid this season, so a new RB, Valencia and McNair for next season should be the way to go.

Posted this already in the match forum. It's the right decision. People complain about us beeing sentimental or complain about our injury record and then want to give him another season, where he will play a total of 5 games. I like him too, but we need to get rid of our crocks. Doesn't matter if he looks decent in the small amout of games. The truth is, a average RB who can play 30-40 games for us is much more worth than Rafael

Are they? Well I'm not, I just feel there's little point persisting with a player who will continue to suffer a lot of injuries throughout his career.

Aye, I unfortunately agree. I love Rafael, think he's brilliant and love watching him play. Sadly a vote for Rafael is a vote for Valencia, and I can't stomach another season of him.

Can't fault that logic. He managed to avoid getting injured by being out injured. A flawed strategy but an effective one.

There is no need to be so facetious all of the time Pogue. My point, as you were undoubtedly aware, was that being smashed in the face oughtn't fall under the weak body/injury prone heading. And if one takes such into account he "broken down" since last Autumn.

I would say Valencia is close to Rafael defensively right now. I trust him. Rafa is clearly better offensively but I can understand why he isn't trusted. Nothing suggests his injury problems will end.

Think Valencia is nothing more than a solid full-back, he has his ups and downs, but he'll do 'til we can bring in a new right-back in the summer.

There is no need to be so facetious all of the time Pogue. My point, as you were undoubtedly aware, was that being smashed in the face oughtn't fall under the weak body/injury prone heading. And if one takes such into account he "broken down" since last Autumn.

Injury prone players get injured in all sorts of ways. Whether rash in the challenge, clumsy or just unlucky. Doesn't have to be some sort of congenital muscular weakness. Look at Phil Jones.

All this discussion aside, Rafael does appear to be nestling between a tub of Ben and Jerry's and some potato skins.

And knowing football he'll probably have an injury free 2012/13 type season the instant he moves. Ah well.

Last edited:
I'd argue pretty strongly that Rafael is far superior defensively, as I suspect you would too, he's not as strong in the tackle and not as quick. But by every other possibly measure of a good defender he's simply better. People's memories on here are very short.

Yes, absolutely, I fully agree with you.

If he's fit, he should be playing. I couldn't disagree more with the latest RedCafe Twitter tweet. Valencia is one of United's biggest problems due to him (and usually our left back/left wingback who isn't Young) being way too defensive.

I do not think there is a chance that the likes of Valencia and McNair are better RBs . I guess it is understandable seeing him frozen out like this because of his injury record but, I am still not a fan of losing him. I really do not think we will find a better RB in the market.

If he's fit, he should be playing. I couldn't disagree more with the latest RedCafe Twitter tweet. Valencia is one of United's biggest problems due to him (and usually our left back/left wingback who isn't Young) being way too defensive.

Yeah I must say I think Valencia / RB is a major weak point for us at the moment, surely must be addressed in Summer. I know Rafael played in the u21's so it seems he is fit.

Have any journos asked LVG what the feck is going on here?

Does it even matter if they asked?, you already know what he'll say, "He needs match rhythm!, all my players need to train before they return to the team" which he ignores for his faves, Blind, Carrick, Rojo, RvP etc.
I'd be astonished, literally jaw dropping staggered if LvG didn't say he could go this summer.

A sad day, one of my real favourites over the years. Has given nothing less than 100% for the club, sometimes shit happens, I would guess he would be as disappointed as anyone because he really loves the club.

Would hate to see him move on to another club in England.

Would love to see him be given one last run at Old Trafford though, he deserves it.

Who are the best gettable right backs in Europe just now then? I think Clyne would be vastly overpriced, and I'm not a big fan of Coleman. So on the continent I can't think of anyone that is a stand-out either. There is a real dearth of quality right backs.

I think it was the game against West Ham where you couldn't pick one mistake he did, he made some very crucial interceptions inside our own box and was class all the way.
I'll be very sad if he is being sold in the summer, definitely one of my favourite players. The question is if he will get a chance to win his place back this season, and then he would have to take it and stay fit.

All I hope for is that he at least is given a chance to win his place back. He still wears that #2 on his back; he's still our best RB.

Who are the best gettable right backs in Europe just now then? I think Clyne would be vastly overpriced, and I'm not a big fan of Coleman. So on the continent I can't think of anyone that is a stand-out either. There is a real dearth of quality right backs.

Clyne, Coleman, Danilo, Darmian and Mario Fernandes. That's about it, I think. Darmian isn't that good nor is any other right-back in Italy. Coleman hasn't been as good as he was last season. Clyne is decent, but as you say overpriced, which we probably won't care about. With Danilo it's hard to tell if he would be as good as he seems to be for Porto. It's ridiculous when you compare it to the left-back position. France alone have 4 potentially great players for their left-back spot in Digne, Mendy, Kurzawa and Amavi.

Clyne, Coleman, Danilo, Darmian and Mario Fernandes. That's about it, I think. Darmian isn't that good nor is any other right-back in Italy. Coleman hasn't been as good as he was last season. Clyne is decent, but as you say overpriced, which we probably won't care about. With Danilo it's hard to tell if he would be as good as he seems to be for Porto. It's ridiculous when you compare it to the left-back position. France alone have 4 potentially great players for their left-back spot in Digne, Mendy, Kurzawa and Amavi.

Good list there - I don't think you've missed out any big names. I cannot disagree with much of what you have said.

I don't think Clyne is actually close to Rafael as a full-back, though that may change with his development. He clearly has potential and has performed very well this season, but he's still not a massive improvement (though still an improvement), in the form of his life, over a Rafael who is probably playing the worst football he has ever played. I don't mean to underrate him, though - he clearly has some quality. Coleman is a solid player, though I feel he is terribly overrated - like his teammate Baines, I feel people tend to gloss over his deficiencies at the back because he isn't called Luis Anderson da Silva, or something. He is actually not so great defensively & I feel pundits (and PL fans alike) don't pick up on it as much as they should do.

Danilo looks like a good player for the future. He's a year younger than Rafael, too. I think he has a lot of good qualities (both in defence and attack) and would actually suit us very well. Again, however, I don't see him as much of an improvement on Rafael, if any at all. At least he is fit, though.

On an unrelated note, I really like the look Lucas Digne. He looks like a brilliant left-back, prospect-wise. He can even play on the left of midfield. PSG have quite a player on their hands. If he develops properly (one never knows), I think France may have their left-back position sorted for the next 10 years or more.

Maybe he was the player in the "video" recently and he's being punished. I'd like a journo to ask Van Gaal at the next presser. Where is Rafael?

Was meant to come off before with a knock too but he seemed to run it off. Then went flying in with that challenge which could have been a red and he got hooked. Was definitely a page out of his old self, won't be doing himself any favours with that.

Watched the CL game with Srna in tonight. Such a composed player and would be a great player to fill our RB position for a few seasons.
Rafael seems to have let himself down tonight and I just don't see him getting back in the side. The club will need to sell him this summer if they want anything for him. He doesn't warrant a new contract as he will want a first team wage.

Easy on the getting rid talk. Valencia is ~30 and he's looking like he's physically declining very quickly. Rafa is still 24.

Our best RB doesn't deserve to be in the first team?
If our best RB could play more then half a season yes, but he can't. His form hasn't been good the last 2 seasons, when he has played, so I don't get why the club should reward him with a contract unless it was as a back up player.
We need to buy a RB who can play a season, play consistently and be available. That's who should get the first team wage.

Maybe he was the player in the "video" recently and he's being punished. I'd like a journo to ask Van Gaal at the next presser. Where is Rafael?
I'd doubt that, he's been married for a good 3-4 years and his instagram/facebook posts revolve around his children and wife. I think it's just a clear case of a manager not rating him and his lack of fitness is simply working in the managers favour.

If our best RB could play more then half a season yes, but he can't. His form hasn't been good the last 2 seasons, when he has played, so I don't get why the club should reward him with a contract unless it was as a back up player.
We need to buy a RB who can play a season, play consistently and be available. That's who should get the first team wage.
Well to be fair to him, he is fit, he just isn't getting picked for some weird reason. Also, a back up player is in the first team. Can't go through a season with 11 players.

Easy on the getting rid talk. Valencia is ~30 and he's looking like he's physically declining very quickly. Rafa is still 24.

Valencia is still way less likely to be injured at any given moment though. He is also one of our physically strongest players, something our team generally lacks.

At this stage I'd be amazed if Valencia is sold before Rafael.

Valencia is still way less likely to be injured at any given moment though. He is also one of our physically strongest players, something our team generally lacks.

At this stage I'd be amazed if Valencia is sold before Rafael.
Yes, at the present he's still a rock, but I really feel he'll be done by early next season, he's starting to look his age very quickly.

Played in the reserves tonight, did a horrible tackle and was subbed off.

That is basically the same thing Fabio did before he was sold I think. Looks like it is definitely over for Rafa, which is very sad. He loves the club and I think should be our RB. Will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.