Potential Centre-Back Signings

So? Nobody used to say anything when we played with 2 right footers but act like 2 left footers is somehow impossible. Bastoni and Calafiori are both left footers yet form an excellent cb partnership for Italy
Our manager likes a RCB to be right footed and LCB to be left footed.

Thought he was for some reason. Still though, If we aren't paying 60+ for Branthwaite we aint paying it for him.

Perhaps. You either up the bids, go down the list, or do a bit of both. Right now it's a bit difficult to guess what we'll do for defenders, but it's still early doors.

He'll want big wages and to start every game. He's Dortmund for life anyway isn't he?

Apart from all those years he spent at their title rivals! You're right with the rest though I think.

Our manager likes a RCB to be right footed and LCB to be left footed.
Well we currently have only 1 left footed cb and 4 right footed cbs, so getting in a left footer should be more of a priority if it's that important to him

Well we currently have only 1 left footed cb and 4 right footed cbs, so getting in a left footer should be more of a priority if it's that important to him
We also don't have a starting quality RCB. Lindelof is Leaving and Evans who knows.

He'll want big wages and to start every game. He's Dortmund for life anyway isn't he?

No, he left Borussia, that's why I asked
A player with that kind of an experience would be a great addition to the team, especially since he's a free agent. But, yes, if he wants to be a starter, that would be a problem

It's possible that the thinking was "sod it, we'll get one who's good with both feet," which could be how Branthwaite ended up first choice.

Possibly Guehi too, since he's good enough with his left to fool you :p
Price is the issue though, if they aren't willing to go more than 50-60 million for Branthwaite, we won't for Guehi, nor will Palace accept less I don't think.

The Todibo thing is so annoying he would have been absolutely perfect and ultra attainable/easy to do. Hope we can figure something out.

No, he left Borussia, that's why I asked
A player with that kind of an experience would be a great addition to the team, especially since he's a free agent. But, yes, if he wants to be a starter, that would be a problem
Oh I didn't realise he's actually left wow I thought he'd retire there.

Price is the issue though, if they aren't willing to go more than 50-60 million for Branthwaite, we won't for Guehi, nor will Palace accept less I don't think.

They're starting price is reportedly £65m due to his contract situation, so I do (maybe did) think he could be more more attainable than the guy with a fresh contract and a 15% sell-on clause.

Now with Olise gone, they'll be pulling out all the stops to keep the rest of their best I'd expect, so maybe a bit more tricky.

I know he's injured but why not any links to scalvini.

Usually the answer comes after the question.

It's possible that the thinking was "sod it, we'll get one who's good with both feet," which could be how Branthwaite ended up first choice.
Jonny Evans is one of the most ambipedal players in the league :)

What's the debate? We have Martinez who starts on the left side and we don't really have a starter on the right, that is much more of an urgent priority.
A debate about urgent priorities. We need both this summer unless you don’t think Martinez can get injured.

A debate about urgent priorities. We need both this summer unless you don’t think Martinez can get injured.
Literally anyone could get injured mate. At the moment we have a starting LCB, we don't have a starting RCB and we seem to be limited on funds so it would be incredibly stupid to get a LCB before getting a right sided one first.

Literally anyone could get injured mate. At the moment we have a starting LCB, we don't have a starting RCB and we seem to be limited on funds so it would be incredibly stupid to get a LCB before getting a right sided one first.

So like I said we should sign both. What order they are signed in the same window is of little relevance. Considering the club reportedly also targeting 2 cbs guess they agree.

So like I said we should sign both. What order they are signed in the same window is of little relevance. Considering the club reportedly also targeting 2 cbs guess they agree.
Of course it's relevant when we don't have that much cash. Sort your top priority first. Would be idiotic not to.

I'm not disagreeing that we need both by the way, I'm simply stating that IMO the most pressing deal we need to get done is a starting RCB.

Oh I didn't realise he's actually left wow I thought he'd retire there.
Picked a fight with the manager about playing style and therefore didn't get a new contract offer from Dortmund. Wasn't fully voluntary how he left.

Both left footed.

I'm pretty sure Guéhi is right-footed, however at 1,82m he cannot be our main CB signing to partner Martínez with.

The first CB should be someone who can partner with Martínez or anyone. If we sign another after that, only then can we make compromises IMO.

I'm pretty sure Guéhi is right-footed, however at 1,82m he cannot be our main CB signing to partner Martínez with.

The first CB should be someone who can partner with Martínez or anyone. If we sign another after that, only then can we make compromises IMO.
Yeah I’ve since realised that. Totally agree yes.

Who should be our top target?

Didn't know much about him until this tournament,unfortunate with that own goal
Didn't get to see Bologna as much as I wanted to last season, but he was great the few times I did see him, and I know he was almost universally seen as one of the best defenders in the league last season. Been very good alongside Bastoni so far imo.

Who should be our top target?

Good question. Been thinking about the possible options myself.

Adarabioyo is not an option anymore due to his wage demands.

Our pursuit of Branthwaite could easily end if neither side are willing to compromise on their valuations.

Seems like UEFA won't let us buy Todibo from Nice.

Yoro is waiting for Madrid.

De Ligt makes 260k/week at Bayern and probably won't want to take a pay cut.

Diomande is one of my favorite CB prospects out there, but he seems to be a bit raw and might not be ready to start for a PL side competing for top 4 just yet.

Tapsoba is another one of my preferred, most-liked options, but he has good reasons to stay another year at Leverkusen, and it would probably take huge money to get him out of there anyway.

Calafiori seems to be nailed on for Juve, and I can live with that. Motta is taking over there, which seems to be the beginning of an exciting project, and Juventus are arguably the most attractive destination for an Italian player.

I'm not sure Barca would be willing to let Araujo leave this summer, but there has been some murmurs about that if I'm not mistaken?

Inácio seems like a BTEC Martínez, excellent quality in possession but lacking in some defensive aspects.

I don't know a lot about other names I've seen mentioned, like Bremer, Scalvini, Silva, Kossounou, Schlotterbeck, etc...not sure about their availability either. There are a lot of options out there, but not sure if there are a lot of options where you don't make some sort of compromise: not enough aerial dominance / not enough pace / not good enough in the build-up / would cost way too much, etc.

Last edited:
Kevin Danso would be my pick. Probably not as expensive as other names and looks quality. I have seen him only for Austria, but seems like he has everything, passing ability, good defender, pacy, heading. Was surprised how good was against France. Also looks good in Rangnick system so high line shouldn't be a problem for him.

Of course it's relevant when we don't have that much cash. Sort your top priority first. Would be idiotic not to.

I'm not disagreeing that we need both by the way, I'm simply stating that IMO the most pressing deal we need to get done is a starting RCB.

Idiotic is missing out on good deals because you have decided a particular position needs to be signed first. Just allocate funds accordingly. Also clubs work on multiple deals in parallel some will progress quicker than others. If you have a proper transfer strategy the order in which they are finalised is irrelavant.

Kevin Danso would be my pick. Probably not as expensive as other names and looks quality. I have seen him only for Austria, but seems like he has everything, passing ability, good defender, pacy, heading. Was surprised how good was against France. Also looks good in Rangnick system so high line shouldn't be a problem for him.

Never realised he was at Southampton. Could be a good option now Todibo and Yoro look off.

Some of t h he figures being thrown around for very average players…. 60m for Guehi seems like a bargain right now.

Yeah I’m sure that at 41 there’s more mistakes happening week on week. But in a one off like today he was super
And even in the first game,he played well, but in this one he was imperial.
Of course having Ruben Dias on his right side, on the left Nuno Mendes, (one of the best LB on the tournament)and at his front someone like Palhinha helps.

Good question. Been thinking about the possible options myself.

Adarabioyo is not an option anymore due to his wage demands.

Our pursuit of Branthwaite could easily end if neither side are willing to compromise on their valuations.

Seems like UEFA won't let us buy Todibo from Nice.

Yoro is waiting for Madrid.

De Ligt makes 260k/week at Bayern and probably won't want to take a pay cut.

Diomande is one of my favorite CB prospects out there, but he seems to be a bit raw and might not be ready to start for a PL side competing for top 4 just yet.

Tapsoba is another one of my preferred, most-liked options, but he has good reasons to stay another year at Leverkusen, and it would probably take huge money to get him out of there anyway.

Calafiori seems to be nailed on for Juve, and I can live with that. Motta is taking over there, which seems to be the beginning of an exciting project, and Juventus are arguably the most attractive destination for an Italian player.

I'm not sure Barca would be willing to let Araujo leave this summer, but there has been some murmurs about that if I'm not mistaken?

Inácio seems like a BTEC Martínez, excellent quality in possession but lacking in some defensive aspects.

I don't know a lot about other names I've seen mentioned, like Bremer, Scalvini, Silva, Kossounou, Schlotterbeck, etc...not sure about their availability either. There are a lot of options out there, but not sure if there are a lot of options where you don't make some sort of compromise: not enough aerial dominance / not enough pace / not good enough in the build-up / would cost way too much, etc.

I was very much on the De Ligt train in the summer of 2019 then he went to Juventus, now it feels like oh not another player with Dutch connection

I was very much on the De Ligt train in the summer of 2019 then he went to Juventus, now it feels like oh not another player with Dutch connection

I don't care about the Dutch connection thing, but I have my reservations as well.

He's basically the perfect age, but to me, he's just a marginal upgrade on the current Maguire. De Ligt is probably better at receiving the ball under pressure and from difficult angles, however, I'm probably taking 2019-2021 Maguire over him, as I feel like he was a bit more nimble back then, than he is now. Wages are also a concern IMO, but not sure what his demands would be.

Having said all that, if the reported price tag of £42m for de Ligt is true, I think he's a gamble very much worth taking, especially if he is open to the move and his salary demands are realistic.