PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

my days. wolves looked so much stronger. we got physically bullied all game. they looked to be more committed as well. In truth they absolutely dominated us. That midfield 3 (bruno, casemiro, mount) needs a lot of work. casemiro so exposed and with rashford, looked absolutely gassed by 75 mins.

surely the point of pre season is to be conditioned and prepared for epl football. we looked well off the pace.

credit wolves...a brilliant performance. but weve said it so many times before. We have this knack of making average teams look like prime barcelona

but, we got the win and already 3pts better off than our terrible start last season.

Many players appeared to be out of shape. It looked like a training match for many of them: No intensity, no speed, no imagination and a lack of defensive efforts from some of the midfielders (Bruno and Mount).

We were lucky enough not to lose this game and it's crazy undeserved that we won. And I still think they should have had a penalty.

Genuinely concerning performance and makes you wonder if we might suffer the same fatigue Liverpool had last season after going to the limit on all fronts.

We didn't quite go all the way on all fronts but chuck a world cup into the mix and is it something we should be concerned about?

When we're bad, we're absolutely shocking. Playing like this will lead to the same hidings we got last season. Shocking stuff, even by our standards.

Last season we lost our first two games and finished in third place. The first game of a season usually isn't much more indicative of a team's level than the pre-season friendlies are.
Really need to be 3/4 games in before judgments are made. A lot of confirmation bias creeps in the first few games.
To be fair Ten Hag did say it would be difficult to predict a new managers tactic is but it looked as if every player took the win for granted.
the fact we won is irrelevant. I didn’t see the hunger we were told was there after the City loss but I’m sure Ten Hag will rip into the players

Unbelievable shit of a performance. 3 points is a miracle. Onana MotM, Bissaka solid

Got to feel for Wolves, we did not deserve that win, so many unforced errors a d at this level is shocking. Wolves pressed us high, yet we could not do the same, no off the ball running to create space which totally negates Onana, let’s just hope this is a one off as we will be severely punished by better teams…….oh and Rashford and Garnacho we’re abysmal tonight.

AWB MotM for me. Onana was up there til the pen. Varane showing real leadership and getting the winner to boot. Great cameo from Sancho.

Antony and Garnacho were awful. Bruno was invisible. Casemiro and Rashford looked gassed. Ridiculous showing for the first game of the season but a win’s a win.

That was just awful. Utterly deflating.

Wolves were far the better side and it was a penalty. I’ve never watched United play and not be able to pick out one half decent performance.

It’s game one and way too early to predict how the rest of the season will pan out, but that was very concerning. I don’t know what to think.

Robbie Mustoe summarized it very well. "Manchester United did not look ready for the season to start."

3points is a good start, but boy we are way off the pace.

Ten hag might have to rethink after that. I dont think we have the technical players to play possession type football.

Players as well are either tired or uninterested. Hopefully the former. Or else its another manager thrown under the bus

Going to be a long season based on that.

3 more points than we had at this stage last season. Everyone seems to be angry with the pen decision makes it an even sweeter 3 points. Some of our players will need some time to get going looks off pace. Expecting to improve next week against spurs

Very lucky win. But considering we’ve always been slow starters, I’ll take that plucky win against a bogey team. Massive improvements needed if we hope of getting anything out of spurs game. Shaw and AWB were immense along with Varane. Non existent midfield is a worry

The audacity of some of these players to deliver essentially the same performance as they did against Brighton. All that happened here is they were outworked. Hard to place too much blame on Mount as there was no movement around him and the entire side looked they hadn't touched a ball in months. Welcome back Marcus Walkford. Absolutely nauseating performance from him in terms of work rate, which he'll get a pass for of course but he should be utterly ashamed of his effort today. Passed up another easy assist as usual.

Wolves just strolling through our non-existent midfield is concerning and the pressure they were mounting on us before the penalty shout was ridiculous. It was like we were a league below them at times.

Geniunely embarrassing, players should be ashamed after that performance bar onana.

Up there with the worst 90 mins of football I've ever seen.

How do wolves look better after having a manager for 4 days?
We played out of our skins as soon as Ole stepped through the door, won like 10 straight games iirc. Sometimes these new manager bounces are like this.

Nunes and Cunha wont have another game this season with as much success going straight past players and causing problems to a defence. If they could finish or had a bit of luck they'd have had 2 or 3
Cunha ran right between Casemiro, Bruno and Mount without so much as a challenge three separate times. This "midfield" is barely even a midfield. That's bad as I've seen a midfield play at OT since the dark days of Solskjaer.

Terrible. One of things I liked about our team last season is that in many games we didn't concede many chances, or even many shots at all, especially at home where we were really good.

That midfield was … not good, at all.

Inevitably awful performance. Those who predicted breezy 3-0s and 4-0s presumably slept through the last decade, or at the very least the United v Wolves games. Not that I can blame them for that.

I think this experiment of not having a midfield is an odd idea. Good teams usually have one, that's why Liverpool and Chelsea keep bidding more and more ridiculous sums for midfielders. They can do stuff like pass the ball between defence and attack. It's really neat.

Maybe the idea is that we can compensate for the lack of quality in attack by simply overwhelming opponents with quantity. Dunno. I wish we had instead gone for using a midfield that can pass the ball. But you can't have everything I suppose.

Tim Howard just said that happens all the time and it's never been a pen, regarding the onana clattering the 2 wolves players.
He's right, a collision like that is never a penalty. Otherwise why let Goalkeepers challenge for the ball?

3pts better off than last season.
poor and disappointing performance. Worrying how easy wolves cut through us. Can Bruno and mount play together? We needed Fred, haha.
Wolves were very good well up for it and our players couldnt cope.

Hoping once Hojlund is fit and he’s up top with rashford lw
We’ll look better
Problem he’s going to have is the total absence of service from our wide

We should've conceded a couple and they were all over us in the last 10 mins.

We had a brief period of pressure with a couple of nice balls into the box from Sancho and Bruno and got a goal backed up by AWB and Varane.

Looking for positives here is like a needle in a haystack.

At least the season didn't start with a loss? That's 3 points gained against last season.

Well... it can only improve in terms of performance from here. So I'm going with that. The lads looked so far off the pace today.

You could watch the PL for the next 10 years and not see a game with a worse non existent midfield like today! You think Liv needed a midfield overhaul, on today's evidence we don't have anything.

I thought he had another 2 yrsbut Casemiro is done and without him, teams have the freedom of the field to run 60/70 yards w/o any resistance. Just a disgusting performance and not sure what that means for the season ahead.

We'll get better... But I sure hope we get much better because that was really poor

Casemiro looked like the sluggish version for those first few games he played for us when he joined. We need another defensive midfielder.

Onana did well but a bit lucky not to give away a pen

Mount only able to demonstrated his work rate. Made some good runs but didn't get the ball. I'm surprised both him and Bruno stayed so high up. That really exposed Casemiro against a very athletic Wolves attack

3pts in the end but lots of improvement needed

Nunes and Cunha wont have another game this season with as much success going straight past players and causing problems to a defence. If they could finish or had a bit of luck they'd have had 2 or 3
Big If that though, both are in great movers with the ball, but neither has a finish on them

We got away with daylight robbery, but that shit cant continue. Everyone looked so poor. Not a single bad performance. A collection of horrendous ones.

Bruno wasteful.
Casemiro slow.
Mount non existant.
Martinez off the pace.
Rashford running into men with the ball.
Onana shaky.

Awful performance. Ten Hag talks about control. This team cant control games.

Huh what a shitshow. Out of all teams I watched this weekend (City, Lfc, Chelsea, Spurs, Brighton) we were by far the worst side. 300% increase needed for Spurs, otherwise it‘ll end 4:1 to them.

Wolves deserved more and if we were in that pen situation we would scream robbed as well.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw