PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Mon, 14 August 2023

Looking forward to RAWK meltdown. Absolutely one of the worst performances i have witnessed at Old Trafford

New season, same old shit, poor performance sprinkled with luck but due 3 points...

We’re relying on a strong defence this season. We ain’t scoring 3+ in a lot of games

Three points are all that really matters. So much to improve though, particularly our reaction to going ahead. We should have been able to manage the game correctly, hitting them on the break and/or keeping the ball where necessary. Instead it was very nearly a bottlejob; we couldn't pick a pass in the last ten/15 minutes.

Lots to improve, I'm hopeful we'll do the job. So nice to start with a win.

Last season we lost our first two games and finished in third place. The first game of a season usually isn't much more indicative of a team's level than the pre-season friendlies are.

Every single player lost every individual battle. They should all be flogged.

We look pretty shite it must be said, disturbing. I also wanted Ten Hag in for long before he signed, but the alarm bells have to ring a little bit for anyone who spends £85m on fecking Antony.

Awful performance but we got a win playing terribly at least. Lots of work to do. Midfield extremely unbalanced and our frontline needs moving around.

Sancho cameo was lively

Back to basics this week. We didn't have the best preseason but what did we improve on?

I like Onana's enthusiasm but hopefully escaping the PK was a bit of a warning to him. We definitely got lucky today.

Cue Klopp bitching about us not getting PKs against us after bitching about us getting them before :lol: :nervous:

Worst I have seen us play in a long, long time. Disgracefully bad performance. Absolutely got away with one today. Somehow eeked out a win, which at the end of the day is 3 vital points. But it was completely undeserved.

lots of work needed on the training ground.

Fitness level dreadful.

Team shape worse than last season.

Makes you wonder what we were doing in preseason

Peak Ole/Rangnick ball. Absolute shite and Wolves should feel very hard done by. We have to do better.

Mauling of the Wolves striker aside, Onana was our best player. Less said about the rest of the team the better.

Need two midfielders comfortable on the ball before the end of the window or it may be a long long season. We got overrun in midfield by WOLVES.

Utterly pathetic performance. Can't get my head around how bad we were. Some really alarming signs in that game. Opened up at will by Wolves is no laughing matter.

Wan Bissaka was excellent. Onana, despite his two-hand slap to that big lad's head, was also very good.

Definite penalty for Wolves though. Even if the ball has gone, it's a foul. He's clattered him.

Bit troubling how easily our midfield was ripped right through. I thought Mount would be offering us the energy and intensity that Eriksen no longer provides, but it's wasted if he's further forward than Bruno.

Wan Bissaka man of the match in my eyes.

Undeserved win but will take it. We didn't look fit. Disappointing performance. Now if I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt - maybe it didn't help not knowing how Wolves would set up and I think they defaulted to their usual cancel out games to get results.

Wolves beat us at home last season and we lost our first game of the season last year too. So I'm happy despite the subpar performance.

Very very lucky win. We have a gaping hole through the middle of the team which wouldnt surprise me we buy Amrabat this week now. All the team underperformed apart from Anana and WB. We were lucky we didnt give a pen away as well. If it was the other way around I would say we were robbed.

We all knew Rashford central, Bruno wide, Garnacho starting was not a winning formula. Yet we did it anyway and Wolves outplayed us for long spells (maybe the whole match).

We need a Cunha in our side.

Geniunely embarrassing, players should be ashamed after that performance bar onana.

Up there with the worst 90 mins of football I've ever seen.

How do wolves look better after having a manager for 4 days?

2nd season syndrome, I predict a crap season. I cannot see a top 4 team here. Probably finished outside top 5 with such performance. Midfield easily overrun, Casemiro looking old. How many times Wolves midfield makes a turn and charge directly at the defense. We are lucky that we won.

The tactics were all wrong. We looked much better after the 60m signing was off the pitch
Rode our luck start from finish. That was absolutely a penalty.
Worried about ETH tbh

3 points is only good thing can be said about that, shocking performance.

That game, along with our general performance in pre-season, it’s not looking good enough. We are trying all sorts of new tactics that doesn’t play to the strength of the 11 players on the pitch.

Another season of chasing top 4. When will this club actually get involved in a title race? Spend, spend, spend and still no where near.

What a horrible, horrible watch that.

Zero cohesion, zero composure. Most of the players looked well off their pace.

Most attacks was rushed like crazy. Even in the dying minutes, every player on the ball was rushing it forward only to lose it and start a Wolves counter. Fecks sake, who of the players is calling the shots? We need someone to take charge and make sure we play more smart. Doesn't help that Bruno is one of the worst at it though.

One of the biggest daylight robberies I can remember. Absolutely atrocious performance to a man, and we deserved to lose heavily. Worrying. But hey, it’s only preseason, or something.

It was very similar to the start of last season - the whole team, every single player, looked completely undercooked and not fully prepared for the new season.

I don't think you can really make a judgement on individiaul players in that game because everyone was off the pace. The whole team looked as if they were at the end of an arduous season, not the start of a new one.

Ten Hag needs to send the whole team on another long run again or whatever the heck he did after the Brentford game early last season which got them to gel and up their intensity.

And as with early on last stage it's too early to say how the whole season will pan out. The time to start worrying will be if this lethargy and lack of sharpness across the team continues for multiple games.

Phew!

Awful first game. Seems like half the squad are out of form. Garnacho, Rashford, Bruno, and Mount were really poor. We basically had no midfield today, and it's worrying.

Credit to Wolves, they played an excellent game and were unlucky to lose.

Hope players got the shit out of their system and will turn up better in next match. They all are so much better than what they looked today.

I'm concerned that we've not seen a big improvement in our style of play. Lots of transfers and a manager who knows what he's doing but here we are playing like Ole or Ralf are still in charge.

Man of the Match

Aaron Wan-Bissaka image Aaron Wan-Bissaka 35% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 419 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw