EL L Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Sevilla 3:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 April 2023

Absolutely shambolic tonight but in reality we lost this tie last week in the last 10.

Even if they had not scored any goals at OT last week, they still would've beaten us over 2 legs.
But one thing people need to understand is that in the EL, Sevilla are giants. We are minnows. For the EL, they raise their game. We are unable to raise our game.

Names a GK, CB and ST as the issue but goes on to say we need a ST, CB and CM. What's the priority for you?
Ah apologies. Meant to add a GK to the list we need as well.

I can't prioritise. All 4 are desperately needed if we want to progress from this season.

In the match day thread, I repeatedly said that the odds of winning against Sevilla, in Spain are very very low.
I also told people that winning the EL is ridiculously difficult and it took a Jose special to win it (and a lucky draw).
In any case, it now clears the way to get top 4 in the EPL (even though getting top 4 doesn't mean anything in itself, except for getting CL football).
Hopefully, if the Glazers sell, we'll get owners who prioritise winning and not just get top 4.
I pointed out in the matchday thread, that when we won the EL with Jose it was Romero in goal not DDG. When he is in goal we go out.

We go from really good vs weaker teams to awful vs bigger a lot.

We are far away from City levels which we should try to reach so we can win the league.

Our squad is in theory not bad, but I think the biggest issue in the 11 is De Gea. He has so many bad games. Also lack of a really good striker.

Antony and Martinez has also not been as good as we hoped for and Casemiro has struggled recently.

The bright sparks been Bruno, Shaw and Rashford who have stepped up after a shocking last season.

Maguire and Lindelöf are good players, but they look so nervy particular Maguire. For England he has played better.

I think for next season we buy 1 striker, 2 keeper, 3 central defensive mid, 4 defender that can play both centre and fullback.

Amazing, United gifted them 4 goals.
New contracts for these lots, I guess

I’d argue that even their second tonight was a gift. Their first at Old Trafford is probably the only one they had to put some effort into which says a lot.

If the leeches weren't still hanging around that would have been the final ever performance by Maguire, Martial and DDG in a United shirt.

We have rewarded mediocrity for too long. Please play kids rather than those 3 EVER again!

Anyone else count Maguire's touches when he receives the ball from Lindelof, seeing how long it takes him to make a pass, allowing the opposition to get set into their shape.

Honestly lads, once you see it, you can't unsee it.
So you are saying he is footballs Patrick Cantalay? Can’t really disagree

Post Fergie curse. Can't see it going away any time soon. Slight signs of light and constantly being let down by the team. Must have been trashed about 10 times in the last 2 years.

I’ve just come home, but this game was absolutely shameful, on par with the second half against Liverpool. There was no urgency, no composure, no semblance of a team which is absolutely diabolical.

First half, only Antony could come out of it with some semblance of dignity.

Second Half, blow it up, not sure how many shares in Sevilla Dave has but it is criminal.

Anyone else count Maguire's touches when he receives the ball from Lindelof, seeing how long it takes him to make a pass, allowing the opposition to get set into their shape.

Honestly lads, once you see it, you can't unsee it.
I've been screaming that at him every match since he joined us.

You can't blame bad luck on conceding five awful goals over the course of the tie. Any decent defence would have dealt with most, or not all, of them.
Goals conceded in the 1st leg was bad luck as both was off target efforts from Sevilla. Their 2nd goal came off the shoulder and could have went anywhere. The first and 3rd goals conceded tonight was not about luck just woeful play by Maguire,DeGea to gift goals.

A couple of players are forced to do media after the game. Not sure what they should stand there and say instead?
'Yeah chief, the thing is, we don't give a feck, alright? I glad we don't have to go to Turin because feck that'

Something like that perhaps?

It's not difficult. Antony was a relative stranger to most of these 'pundits' and supporters so us spending the money we did on him means nothing he can possibly do will live up to it, nor can it match the talent of a FIFA flashy card merchant who everyone was raving about at his old club. It's absolutely nothing to do with the relative qualities or what why bring as a team, it's glorified PR.

That performance and result felt so familiar. Happened way too many times over recent years.

Sevilla put in a great effort but in reality they are wank and they killed us. Embarrassing.

Seen the Maguire mistake. But also a lot of people blaming DDG. This video contrast Martinez receiving the same pass from DDG.

It's not the same pass, Martinez has a full second before an opponent is close. This second matters a lot.

I pointed out in the matchday thread, that when we won the EL with Jose it was Romero in goal not DDG. When he is in goal we go out.

Your right. And why is Dea Gea playing if he does not fit the football we want to play? We could be playing Butland or before christmas, Dubrovka. But our manager stuck with De Gea.

He's not wrong, and there are still some on this forum that can't see that Sancho clearly needs to do one.

I said it in his performance thread. He’s the new Lingard.

The sooner people accept he won’t succeed at United and the club cut losses, the better.

Sevilla was fantastic today. Wish United had that spirit, believe, urgency and focus. You're absolutely right. There are stronger teams still in it, like Roma and even Feyenoord. In our current state, even if we'd miraculously won today, there was a high chance we were going to lose against our next opponents.
How on earth did we lack urgency and passion in a Europa League Quarter Final. There are certain players in this team who go through the motions and hide when they are playing and under the cosh. The very least you would expect from any player is passion and fight in a big match such as this. That is what gets me. I can take us going down with a fight. But our performance was so lame and inspid, lacking in any sort of fire. Even when we needed goals, there was no urgency whatsoever.

Seen the Maguire mistake. But also a lot of people blaming DDG. This video contrast Martinez receiving the same pass from DDG.

It’s like night and day. This whole game shows how much of a difference a composed centre back pairing makes.
We play out from the back, our football literally starts there. The minute that goes to shite expect the rest to follow.

Awful performance all round tonight. So frustrating, as you can see how much the team has progressed over the season, but at the same time see how close we still are to our old ways.

Don't see the point in persisting with him. He's on huge wages, we need the money and have several talented young players on the wings.
What club would take Sancho at this point? He wouldn't get a game for Southampton on current form. Realistically there's zero chance of him just being released, so he's probably going to be at the club until 2026. Maybe you could get a Bundesliga club to pay 25% of his obscene wages for a loan spell or something, but the reality is that he's not going anywhere permanently any time soon.

Somehow we had people talking about how we were better than Real (or any other CL QF team for that matter) just a few days ago.

There are many delusional fans.
In the match day thread, most people were claiming that we'd easily win by 2-3 goals.
I gave a logical explanation why this was unlikely.

In saying that, many of these fans are young so are unable to separate emotion from logic.

What club would take Sancho at this point? He wouldn't get a game for Southampton on current form. Realistically there's zero chance of him just being released, so he's probably going to be at the club until 2026. Maybe you could get a Bundesliga club to pay 25% of that for a loan spell or something, but the reality is that he's not going anywhere permanently any time soon.
Agree a loan might be the only option, just to get him out of here.

I've been screaming that at him every match since he joined us.
He literally is working for the other team. All the while he prances about, tapping the ball with the outside of boot, stuttering forward, scanning the pitch, unable to see a pass, some more tapping, arms out wide, then deciding he should hand passing responsibility to a keeper he knows cannot pass.

Nah, and I know I've thought the same with Rashford after last season, but at least he showed that he can mix it at this level in his first 2-3 seasons.

Sancho is just following in the footsteps of all the other Bundesliga flops except with the added complication of having a spectacularly shit attitude and weak mentality.

Sancho is mentally broken like Martial is physically.

Could be for sure

Pretty clear that the back 5 for the rest of the season (or until Varane is back) have to be:

Butland
AWB - Lindelöf - Shaw - Malacia

Unfortunately quite a few players have shown their true colours today and don’t deserve to be anywhere near the starting eleven of our great club

What club would take Sancho at this point? He wouldn't get a game for Southampton on current form. Realistically there's zero chance of him just being released, so he's probably going to be at the club until 2026. Maybe you could get a Bundesliga club to pay 25% of his obscene wages for a loan spell or something, but the reality is that he's not going anywhere permanently any time soon.

He's been at the club for a while now and he has been absolutely terrible.
A youth player (which would be free for us) would likely have played at the same standard as he has for us.
I think he'll be yet another Dortmund failure, for us.

thankfully eases the fixture list a bit for our limp to the finish. Honestly city will paste us in the final for the FA cup so who cares about sunday. Need to get somewhat healthy and focused on wrapping up top 4.
We have become a team that aspires to finish in the top 4. How did we get to this point?!! Different managers, different players since 2013, and yet the same outcome.

We have finished in the top 4 few times since Sir Alex left us, but we never built on that, not in the league and not in Europe.

The worrying thing about these type of result and performance is I've lost count of how many times we have had them under different managers and come away thinking some players need to leave.

But guess what some of those players played tonight

A Bundesliga team would probably take him for £30m or something, and yeah we'd be paying most of his wages still. I'm fine with that.

He's been at the club for a while now and he has been absolutely terrible.
A youth player (which would be free for us) would likely have played at the same standard as he has for us.
I think he'll be yet another Dortmund failure, for us.
He is a far better player than he has shown at United. Something has happened in his head. He used to have a cocky swagger about him. But all that confidence seems to have been lost.

Player Ratings

3.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd