PL L FA Premier League

Huddersfield Town 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 October 2017

I think realistically this is what we should be looking for, signs of improvement from last season and a comfortable top 4 finish would be decent, the start we had made us dream of maintaining a title push but I think it's still beyond this team at the moment. There's still a long way to go and maybe City will fall away again like last season but I think failing to strengthen wide positions (at least one full back and a winger) leaves us short in quality, especially when Pogba is missing from that central position.
There was a thread asking if we were convinced by this team after the good start. I always thought the Liverpool match would be telling us much about this team's cojones or not. I think it even started crumbling before that game.
Pogba's injury has fecked up and that, despite the good results following it. In the long term, we were always gonna suffer.

It's down to the manager as well as the players. It's not just our players do mistakes, it's more than that.

The 3 points we dropped today had nothing to do with the manager.

Last week’s result was the manager’s fault 100%.

Lingard has right ideas but he's not quality enough to pull them of.

The amount of times I could see him making the right decisions the poor lad couldn't execute them.
That counter where he made a great run and the ball just bounced away on a second touch or the through ball to rashford blocked

This result makes the Liverpool tactics look even worse. We cowered away from Liverpool and played for a point, but now we've lost the easier game we've ended up with one point from six.

The 3 points we dropped today had nothing to do with the manager.

Last week’s result was the manager’s fault 100%.

No you don't understand because Jose played for a point at Liverpool the players suddenly have a mindset of losers. Losers lose that's just logic man. The players physically couldn't stop themselves making mistakes, Jose tranced them.

Or some bullshut like that, one poster says something and 50 others repeat it. Tiring

Injured haven’t helped but I do feel you can’t just switch attacking cohesion/intent/flow (call it what you like) on and off when you please.

This United squad lacks personality without Pogba and Zlatan and Jose dropped a bollock last weekend which killed any momentum the team had going.

Life comes at you fast, huh? It's hilarious how some people have gone from the pre-season bravado of 'best team in the league, even better than City' to 'they're all mostly crap, time for another team revamp' :lol:

Things will get better when Fellaini returns

Huddersfield were up for playing United and United weren't. Seems like the players expected things would happened without having to fight for it. Perfect example of hard working beating talent when talent isn't working hard. Let's hope we use this as a wake up call. Midfield is struggling to create anything, our attackers are having to rely on going one v one against the defenders to create, which the complete opposite of what brought us success this season. All in all we won't be the invincibles this season, on to the next one.

Spot on. Huddersfield played with so much fight after a nervy start. We played with poor arrogance and a zombified lethargy with little creativity or correct attacking play.

No you don't understand because Jose played for a point at Liverpool the players suddenly have a mindset of losers. Losers lose that's just logic man. The players physically couldn't stop themselves making mistakes, Jose tranced them.

Or some bullshut like that, one poster says something and 50 others repeat it. Tiring

That’s just a nonsense excuse...

Why didn’t the players lose at Benfica - 3 days after the draw at Anfield?

If our players can’t adapt to the manager’s tactics as the manager seems fit then they should not be wearing the red shirt.

Jose is not stupid. If he had gone toe to toe with Liverpool, we would have lost 4-0 scandalously. A result that could have dented their confidence even worse.

The injuries have cost Jose. He should stop saying he doesn’t moan about it. He should be crying about it because the reserve players are not just good enough.

With Bailly & Jones on the pitch today, we wouldn’t have conceded at all. With Pogba & Fellaini in the team, we would have scored few goals. We have a decent 12-15 players, the others are just mediocre.

We miss Carrick

Time to give McTominay some game time in midfield. Youngsters have a tendency of over-performing when things are bad

Embarrassing really. All of our players are better than theirs despite us missing key players. We shouldn't be losing to Huddersfield. We've been awful since the international break. I mean, how many chances have we actually created in the 4 games? 8?

Lukaku looks lost now too.

Pretty worrying really, we need to arrest this decline quick or any chances of the title will be gone. Just as importantly we need to stay playing football again.

We miss Carrick

Time to give McTominay some game time in midfield. Youngsters have a tendency of over-performing when things are bad
We really do. Can't believe that luck. We sign him as our experienced legend for another year and he gets injured at precisely the time we need him!
I really hope he gives the youngsters and opportunity to push the 1st team on Tuesday. Tuanzebe and McTominay couldn't have been worse than Lindelof and a few others.

So, zombie passing... Why has it returned? How long will it last? I would like to think that it was a bad day today but we've seen zombie passing for 3 games on the bounce now and it was probably most blatent in our win against Benfica. This slow, zombie football is more of a concern to me than the points dropped.

Pogba/Fellaini, Carrick missing. Mhiki and Mata lost their mojo. Herarra not effective.

We miss Carrick

Carrick has been awful for ages, that is why is wasn't playing when he was fit. He's managed to get injured even though he isn't playing. Agree that McTominay will come in against Swansea.

The long ball is one thing but we dont even do the follow up presssure game to exploit effectively. So its even more of a waste.

We have got to either decide we play the wings mostly and try get behind teams or we carve them in the middle. Both we can kinda do well enough but usually if one is boxed off the other is more on. And when you expose teams wide they then try to block off the channel thus creating space somewhere else.

We just dont ask enough questions, often enough and consistant enough to get them to come out of their shells. You usually have to earn the right to play football and we do not do that. We always seem to look for the spft option and often its out wide and pick a man with the cross not just ping it to an area and not just knocking at the down the middle or the width of the box. Its too easy to shut that door.

You need EVERYTHING in your locker. We have the players minus prob. a genuine winger for different options all in one match.
But today the wrong decisions or the right ones but too slow. Long balls are fine and finally when we tried them they were proving effective.

I guess our players are good enough or smart enough to understand when to play defensively and when to have a go. I don't think it's cause of the Anfield, they're not that slow exactly so they still play like they did in Liverpool. We're in a shit form and we need Fellaini and Pogba back asap. Among other things.

But it shows how our depth is overrated compared to Man City. The gulf in ability after Bailly, Pogba, even Fellaini is alarming. Our options at full back are very uninspiring with Valencia, Blind, Young and Darmian. I don't even consider Shaw an option anymore.

We have major issues at fullback, CB and midfield. Lindolof looks all over the place.

Life comes at you fast, huh? It's hilarious how some people have gone from the pre-season bravado of 'best team in the league, even better than City' to 'they're all mostly crap, time for another team revamp' :lol:
I haven't changed my stance yet. :D Weren't that impressive in pre-season, didn't think we were playing well despite the great scorelines earlier on, and we are obviously not doing well at the moment.

Wasn't able to watch the game so can't comment on that too much other than to obviously acknowledge what a poor result it is.

At the risk of sounding salty though: fecking cnuting Huddersfield - I just hope they put as much energy into their performances against our rivals...but I somehow doubt it...

Good interview from Mou, although I feel he is liable for the selection of the team that led to the performance. Sometimes you need to be clear with the players that they were nowhere the standards required. There’s other times that a siege mentality is required.

This result makes the Liverpool tactics look even worse. We cowered away from Liverpool and played for a point, but now we've lost the easier game we've ended up with one point from six.
If anything it makes the point at Liverpool look better. Showed how unlikely it was that this team could have gone and won there.

Glad to see Mourinho saying we deserved to lose while also being quite calm. Gives off the impression that he knows what he has to do to get us back on track.

Wellllllllllllllllllll .........
As poor as Mikhitariyan can be at times he has to play every minute of every match for me from now on tbh.
Just too many players who slow down play or avoid a risky pass forward when we win the ball back which makes it so, so easy for defences to get back and reorganise. First half they had 9 players in or around their box every the time we got forward.
Valencia, Mata and Hererra are the worst offenders. Blind and Darmian are pretty bad for it to when they play too imo. Then you've got Matic, Young and a lot of our cb's being no saints (they all have their place not saying drop them or anything)
Mikhitariyan is one of very few players who's first instinct is to put on the afterburners and get up the pitch FAST. Missing Pogba more every week.

Lingaard I'm just ... I liked him under van gaal and thought he had potential to be a good player with some more skilled players around him
but yeah ... we need a lot more, even from an occasional sub.
The 4 who've been starting most weeks behind lukaku should be under so much more pressure to keep their place atm, hes just not up to providing that.

Lindelof ... his form is becoming worrying. Takes a while for most defenders to settle but hes making some real amateurish mistakes.

Mourinho seems so unhappy with some of his players hopefully this defeat is just a wake up call and not a start to a predictable downfall, we have Spurs and Chelsea coming we can't look back too much.
God how much I miss the old Manchester United, I would kill for those days to be back and re cherish every fecking single moment.

Insert baffling post about individual players, as if one or two dragged otherwise 8+ out of 10 performances elsewhere on the pitch down, here.
People love to agenda post. Have it out for certain players and they'll give them crap despite pretty much the whole team being not at the races. Only players who weren't terrible were Lingard, Lukaku for the cross, Smalling and De Gea.

For sure we can see that Lindelof is not up to standard!

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 479 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Huddersfield 0:2 Man Utd
  • 25% Huddersfield 0:3 Man Utd