CL L Champions League Group A

Bayern Munich 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 September 2023

RuudTom83

Add Varane, Shaw, Amrabat to that team and I think its an easy win tonight.

Annoying fecking injuries are killing the lads and making them look a lot worse than they are...another one to take on the chin ffs.

Frustrating.

Joseunited

Central midfield is still the biggest problem.
Amrabat better make a difference once he starts playing.Casemiro looks so much worse than last season(goals aside) and Eriksen is just not good enough.

lilcurt

Onana will get the headlines, it was a big mistake but they happen, an other than that I thought he added to our game.

I'm worried about Rashford, a passenger with a seemingly awful attitude on the pitch. I love Bruno but needs to play like a captain.

Casemiro and Eriksen can't play together in midfield, we concede the same goals games after game because they don't have the legs to track back properly.

bstb3

Our ability to constantly shoot ourselves in the foot is quite something to behold. Feel a bit for Onana, 6 games in and already getting pelters. The truth is even if he hadn't made the error Bayern were much better and they would still have found ways, but the spotlight will be on him instead. Harsh.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Never expected anything other than a defeat and the score line flattered us. Started well, but we’re too easy to score against and have no resilience once we go behind. We are lacking quality, work rate and concentration on so many areas of the park. Hopefully Amrabat and Mainoo bring some balance to midfield and we need AWB and Varane back asap. Hopefully three points against Burnley to get us back on track.

SambaBoy

Lack of fitness combined with athleticism is killing us across the pitch. I think the efforts of last season and pre-season is catching up with the players. They can't just can't press intensely.

The only one who was Reguilon who didn't take part in pre-season for us so I'm not sure what is going on behind the scenes. I'm not usually one to talk up injured or players who haven't featured as some sort of saviour but if Amrabat can give us legs in the middle of the park, he could be massive for us.

Likewise with talking up youngsters, but with the hype around Mainoo, I'm hoping he could force his way into the team and be a key part after Xmas.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
My only real issue with the outcome tonight was that pen. All the other goals were down to us playing like shit or playing well. But that pen, which has turned out to be the decider was fecking stupid. I have no idea why both teams, all teams in the CL aren't just running up and down the pitch toe blasting the ball into players arms in the box from a half yard away. Absolutely ridiculous decision that was all the more suspicious when it was "check over" before "actually no, we're going to check it again.".

RoyH1

Strange game. The result is much better than I expected and yet we didn’t exactly play great.
Eriksen is no longer CL standard imo

steffyr2

De gea in goal and we win this.
Who knew that having a gk who could stop shots was useful to have? Not the people on Redcafe...till now.

There was such a drumbeat for YEARS to get rid of DDG. Maybe the new guy will come good...the defense in front of him isn't doing him any favors. I presume he's good with the ball at his feet; it's hard to tell at the moment when he's just constantly picking the ball out of the back of the net.

Gilgamesh

Supports
Bayern, and others
I really don't want to wind up United fans, so this is more of a question for the Bayern experts: That was the first full Bayern game I've seen this season - and this was horrible! Mistake after mistake, defensively shaky, offensively static or erroneous when playing fast.

And, can anybody tell me what tactics Tuchel actually wants to play? I didn't see any. I think this was the worst CL performance from Bayern I've seen in a long time, at home for sure.

Chumpsbechumps

F**k off BT.

Onana takes responsibility for the goal and the next question is about that goal. The media is a pox at times

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
My only real issue with the outcome tonight was that pen. All the other goals were down to us playing like shit or playing well. But that pen, which has turned out to be the decider was fecking stupid. I have no idea why both teams, all teams in the CL aren't just running up and down the pitch toe blasting the ball into players arms in the box from a half yard away. Absolutely ridiculous decision that was all the more suspicious when it was "check over" before "actually no, we're going to check it again.".
Yeah, that pissed me the feck off. Shit decision all day everyday.

moodyred

Worrying how Reguilon is our best player for 2 games straight.

Casemiro, okay he scored 2 goals, but he was diabolical and so slow for everything
Eriksen is done at this level
Rashford and Hojlund don't seem to be compatible
Lindelof's passive defending is really irritating. Annoying how we couldn't sell Maguire and get another CB in
Upgrade on Dalot needed badly
I'd start Garnacho in the next game, he's the only winger that can actually dribble past defenders when he receives the ball with the defender in front of him
Pellistri was not good at all
Agree that Casemiro and Eriksen were culpable for giving ball away in crucial area and appear slow in tracking back.

Too early to say Rashford and Hojlund are not compatible.

Pellistri was alright I feel.

gorshed

Bayern we’re ordinary, think we unlucky tonight stupid mistake from the keeper caused our head to go for 10 minutes need to be mentally better than that, the pen was ridiculous, don’t get this commentary afterwards saying Bayern schooled us, doesn’t feel like what I watched I think when all our injured players are back we be a totally different team

Jimmah

Fair play to Onana for speaking after the match and taking the blame. Looking forward to the home leg with hopefully a stronger squad available

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Like I said the midfield is a huge worry. Eriksen and McT where shocking. Doesnt change the fact that Bruno being careless cost us in the end.
And his energy and commitment also saved us but that gets ignored

Kinky Melinky

How is Reguilon the highest player rating but not in the top 5 in the man of the match vote? Odd!

Reguilon, Martinez, Hojlund and Pellestri played well considering who they were up against.

Onana better sort that shit out as he's a great goalkeeper and we got rid of De Gea for this exact type of mistake. He played well the majority of the game.

We were lucky they weren't ruthless.

Lindelof, Dalot, Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno and Rashford were awful today. When it mattered they didn't defend well at all I'd be interested to see their pass completion stats today because it looked awful to me.

Bruno rarely does well against good teams.
As your name suggests, an overhaul is required but it will take numerous seasons. I feel the pain bro. We've been hearing 'work in progress' for so long now but our transfer business is about as bizarre as it gets. Pretty stumped where United plan / need to go.

Rustyspider13

We really lack athleticism, all over the pitch but especially in midfield - and it’s odd because I don’t think it’s something that Mount offers us. Hoping that Amrabat can inject some soon, but we’re a lightweight team who get outfought routinely.
Agreed 100%. We lack physicality everywhere. I see the likes of Upamecano, Kim Min Jae, Goretzka, Davies etc. lineup for Bayern and I think where are our athletes? Where are our physical specimen at the peak of fitness? Varane is the only player who actually has the physical attributes you want from a top athlete in the squad but he's injured too often. Rashford has them too but he's too lazy to use them. It's a major deficiency in a game that is becoming more and more physical everyday adn a reason we often can't keep up with teams of lesser quality.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Could have won the game if Utd were a serious team. Bayern played that half arsed as if they were playing a bottom of the table team they could beat at will while having some fun along the way. It reflected badly on both teams.
I don't know if Bayern attacking going to waste so many times because of sloppy, lazy decisions or Utd lazy, timid playing was more infuriating. Shite game.

OrcaFat

Not too much between the teams imo.

We struggled with keeping up the required intensity and concentration again. We ran the same distance as Bayern but looked wrecked.

We lost a game we were expecting to lose.

We played pretty well in spells, especially up until the first goal. It’s a matter of time before we start carrying that level through more of the games.

pilpiliyagreen

We played rubbish but the 3 goals we scored should not be ignored. Bayern were obviously not threatened and maybe lost focus but if we had lost 3 - 1 or 4 -1 then i would have been panicking as such. Still we were bad but we still managed to score 3. Our wing play just doesnt connect with midfield like the good old days. Its concerning. its like we have no tactical brain in the middle and the wings.

Cantona in disguise

Who knew that having a gk who could stop shots was useful to have? Not the people on Redcafe...till now.

There was such a drumbeat for YEARS to get rid of DDG. Maybe the new guy will come good...the defense in front of him isn't doing him any favors. I presume he's good with the ball at his feet; it's hard to tell at the moment when he's just constantly picking the ball out of the back of the net.
Let's not forget DDG made some howlers last season. Everton in the fa Cup. West ham away. Fa Cup final to name but a few. He was the best shot stopper in the world at one point but his main attribute was running away from him...

Lyng

And his energy and commitment also saved us but that gets ignored
The captain being careless and costing you an important european match is a big issue. Him doing great defensive work the rest of the match doesnt excuse that brainfart, especially when its something he is regularly criticised for.

Kevzter

What a strange football match. The head scratch is just the lack of midfield balance. How that’s a pen against Eriksen when we never got that one at Spurs is beyond me
UEFA never got the memo bro:lol:. Too much inconsistency among VAR decisions in the game for me. But at the end of the day we need to be that much better so the VAR decisions don't dictate what games we are allowed to win.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I dont think i have ever seen us as bad in a game where we scored 4 goals, hit the post 2 times and had a bunch of other good chances.

I think most of you are too harsh with your team. Your season will turn out good i think, im wishing you all the best, cheers.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Thought the scoreline flattered us. They battered us in the second half and were really wasteful, we scored off our potshots. The first half was much more competitive and could've gone another way had it not been for Onana's clanger.

Kane was poor though he scored and assisted one :lol: second time I've seen Musiala live and man he's an amazing dribbler. His final pass is still lacking though, which continues to make me think of CAM is his best position. Hopefully, for Germany's sake, he can improve that.

Kinky Melinky

Our ability to constantly shoot ourselves in the foot is quite something to behold. Feel a bit for Onana, 6 games in and already getting pelters. The truth is even if he hadn't made the error Bayern were much better and they would still have found ways, but the spotlight will be on him instead. Harsh.
This is the dominant feeling floating around my head post match. When we gain even a glimmer of an advantage we completely lose our shit. It's like we don't have the capability to protect an advantage that we create for ourselves and then build on that advantage. Some teams are so good at this but United are truly awful. When United score it's honest-to-god squeaky bum time for most supporters these days because it feels like we'll go and totally undo it with some completely ridiculous mishap, misplaced pass or howler.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
One of the worst CL games you'll ever watch.

Musiala delightful, the rest were either wasteful or devoid of ability.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Let's not forget DDG made some howlers last season. Everton in the fa Cup. West ham away. Fa Cup final to name but a few. He was the best shot stopper in the world at one point but his main attribute was running away from him...
It is the most bizarre thing to watch. I've some sympathy with the argument we could've got as good (or even better) for less money but bringing back De Gea is absolute insanity talk.

red till I die 2023

Wasn’t that bad at all. A ridiculous penalty and a goalkeeping error the difference. Don’t forget we were away to probably the best side in Europe and we half less than half a team. Things will only get better.
Bayern the best side in Europe ? I am all for being optimistic but this is a bit delusional. I dividual mistakes cost us today.

jesperjaap

Every single goal they scored was somehow tied to an individual error. Nothing wrong with the tactics, lineup or sub, just can’t focus for 90 minutes. Manager will pay with his if it continues this way like always, but it’s been like this under the previous 2 managers.
I agree.Can talk about tactics, recruitment, Glazers, etc etc.

As poor as we have been this season, against sides nowhere near there best either individual errors and lack of running and fight has been the most costly thing for us so far. We have had bad and good luck, that will always happens but if you cant do the simple things right and give away weak goals, you dont win football matches.

Ten Hag hasnt had anything close to his best eleven available, but even with all these new players the last two years.....managers second season syndrome here, there already seem to be signs of what we have seen with Mourinho and Ole in terms of not getting any consistency or mental foritude from a lot of players, the former two lost the dressing room "downing tools" i think Keane called it, concernin signs from a few players already and I thought with the leadership, experience and success of the likes of Varane and Casemeiro it wouldnt happen like that again....just convinced some of this squad that have been here a while simply rent good enough mentally or/and ability and/or consistency wise to move forward

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Well done to Onana. I'd already clicked off so didn't see any post match stuff.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 18% Bayern Munich 3:0 Man Utd
  • 10% Bayern Munich 3:1 Man Utd