Portugal Discussion | Roberto Martinez watch

This was a winnable tournament for Portugal given their squad but just threw it all away indulging Ronaldo.

To not even sub him in a single game is hilariously inept management.

They'll still have a collection of very good players for the World Cup. They should hurry up and get in a competent manager. It will really only be Ronaldo and Pepe who will drop out.

Total failure in leadership to go back to Ronaldo after the last world cup and to allow stat padding against minnows to make him untouchable, negligence from the top down.

Country should be embarrassed.

Wasting a talented team. The Ronaldo decision is baffling when you consider how his creative players would thrive with speed around them- the BBC were showing that one instance where Ronaldo's movement was good and ignored the 500 crosses they've launched into the box, unsuccessfully trying to find the star man and get him his goal.

Can't wait until 2026 and Portugal's way of bringing down their average age (because Ronaldo and Pepe* will still somehow be playing) is to draft 16 year old Junior into the starting line up as Ronaldo's partner.

If LeBron can do it, Ronaldo can too.

*=Pepe obviously won't be really.

Dire side, constantly scraping by in extra time and penalties. Glad it finally caught to them!

Now we can all relax and look forward to the excitement of another France game :(

I would be livid if I was Portuguese, Martinez just seems happy to have managed a team that includes Ronaldo, even this awful version of him. You could understand his inclusion if they were short of quality alternatives.

Ronaldo will be in next WC

Nah. I think that's that.

Current ages:

-------------------------Costa (24)
Dalot (25)---Dias (27)---Inacio (22)---Mendes (22)
------------Vitinha (24)---Neves (19)
Silva (29)----------Bruno (29)-------Leao (25)
------------------------Ramos (23)

Paulinha is 28, Conceicao is 21, Antonio Silva is 20. Most of them play for the best teams in Europe and some will by the time the World Cup comes around. Time for a new striker to emerge too.

Who are the biggest striker prospects in Portugal ? @SCP @Peyroteo

What a coward. Even Santos had the balls to bench Ronaldo.
Jota didn’t even play, ridiculous.

This tournament is on Martinez/Ronaldo for them. This guy can't accept he's past it at this point and stays on the pitch every minute just to score for his own legacy but he just can't cut it at the level anymore. Subbing off Bruno and leao instead of Ronaldo is wild. With the squad they have, they really need to sack Martinez and get a coach who knows what he's doing, and tell Ronaldo it's time to retire. They can't waste next world cup like this

Came home, saw the result. Not really surprised they lost even if it was on penalties.

Said before rhe tournament they wouldn't do anything with him in charge. Martinez is a shocking manager, how he's ended up coaching 2 of the best international squads over the last few years is beyond belief.

They should be competitive in 2028 with Ronaldo retired, though won’t be surprised to see him even go to that tournament at 43 and start every game.

They saw him do feck all with Belgium and gave him a job he doesn't deserve. Championship manager at best.

They should be competitive in 2028 with Ronaldo retired, though won’t be surprised to see him even go to that tournament at 43 and start every game.
Yeah i'd imagine that would be Ronaldo's personal goal - to play at that WC but the pressure after these euros will be immense.

Portugal are in a rich period in recent years regarding player personnel.
Got good talent coming through left, right and centre. What it boils down to now is the management.

Came home, saw the result. Not really surprised they lost even if it was on penalties.

Said before rhe tournament they wouldn't do anything with him in charge. Martinez is a shocking manager, how he's ended up coaching 2 of the best international squads over the last few years is beyond belief.

Yup. His knack of always failing upwards is one of the strangest things in football.

Vitinha and Silva were lovely to watch together. I really wanted to see how they'd link-up against Spain, but oh, well.

I find Martinez very unlikeable and can’t put my finger on why this is the case. I have always considered him an annoying little wanker. Watch him land another big job after serving up shit throughout this tournament.

I find Martinez very unlikeable and can’t put my finger on why this is the case. I have always considered him an annoying little wanker. Watch him land another big job after serving up shit throughout this tournament.

Failing upwards is generally a pretty unlikeable trait.

Failing upwards is generally a pretty unlikeable trait.
Beating Man City in the FA Cup final with Wigan was pretty likable, it was a beautiful day.

They'll still have a collection of very good players for the World Cup. They should hurry up and get in a competent manager. It will really only be Ronaldo and Pepe who will drop out.
Ronaldo will be in next WC

They'll both be there. Pepe is a a centre back he'll get away with it, as for Ronaldo with the WC being in America he'll definitely play with all the exposure and everything that comes with the US.

Man how costly is that Bruno sub decision . He would have taken that penalty and scored too.

Just starting Jota over Ronaldo would probably had been enough to have comfortably beaten that French and Slovenia side in normal time. Another waste to add to those Belgium tournaments.

Such a weak, spineless excuse for a manager. He's so afraid of annoying Ronaldo by dropping him that his fear got them knocked out.

I feel for Bruno and Dalot, but otherwise I'm glad to see Portugal knocked out as both Martinez and Ronaldo deserve it.