POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirAF

Ageist
What this club and a lot of our fans need to recognise is that we are a hated club, hated for our success and occasionally our conduct.

Mourinho = success with occasionally poor conduct.

Having a successful, but hated manager won't make much of a difference to anyone's opinion of our club.

Yes we have gentlemen like Bobby Charlton as icons of our club, but we also had in the same era the womanising alcoholic genius Georgie Best.

Our club isn't about saints, it's about style and success.

Roy Keane, Eric Cantona, all nasty bastards but geniuses all the same. Mourinho fits that mould. We need to take him now while he's available and wants it - we might not get a third chance.

If he stays two, three years so what? In the Premier League right now that would make him the 3rd longest serving in the premier league, and in the top 20 in the country.

We need to fecking get over ourselves and take the gamble.
This.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The man is almost 75, he doesn't need to deal with this.
Well considering that he hasn't retired for good than he does seem in need to line up for his monthly cheque.

The situation is pretty simple here. LVG system isn't working and we're in serious risk of dropping from the CL zone which would cost us millions. Now if the club thinks that Mou is up to the job than well and good. Just hire him now and hope he can stir the ship. If not, than there's no one capable to lead United out of this mess than SAF. He knows the club and the EPL more than anybody else and he's already our employee. I am well aware of his age and I expect the club to support him in all ways possible by hiring all the people he needs. I also expect the club not to end up into this sorry situation ever again by choosing wisely our next manager. But FFS its just for few months. Surely he can do the job for such short period of time. He certainly can do it better than Mr I expect to be manager because I managed in 4 games and Mr Philosophy/Process

It happened before and if you think it through I am sure that you would realise its the best option we have.

devilish

Shotgun management. :lol:
What's wrong in asking a highly paid employee to temporarily cover for a role he had been doing for 25 years? Its not as if we're doing it out of Lulz. Manchester United are risking to finish below the top 4 which would cost us millions. Assuming that we do not want Mou than there's no one available who can stir the ship better than SAF. Jeez do you think that managing from February till the end of the season will kill him?

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
What's wrong in asking a highly paid employee to temporarily cover for a role he had been doing for 25 years? Its not as if we're doing it out of Lulz. Manchester United are risking to finish below the top 4 which would cost us millions. Assuming that we do not want Mou than there's no one available who can stir the ship better than SAF. Jeez do you think that managing from February till the end of the season will kill him?
We need to find our own Hiddink who can come in and do a temp job when our manager appointments don't work out :angel:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Can't see Sir Alex coming in as interim for a few months. Wont happen but if it did, he'd be back for a few years.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
What this club and a lot of our fans need to recognise is that we are a hated club, hated for our success and occasionally our conduct.

Mourinho = success with occasionally poor conduct.

Having a successful, but hated manager won't make much of a difference to anyone's opinion of our club.

Yes we have gentlemen like Bobby Charlton as icons of our club, but we also had in the same era the womanising alcoholic genius Georgie Best.

Our club isn't about saints, it's about style and success.

Roy Keane, Eric Cantona, all nasty bastards but geniuses all the same. Mourinho fits that mould. We need to take him now while he's available and wants it - we might not get a third chance.

If he stays two, three years so what? In the Premier League right now that would make him the 3rd longest serving in the premier league, and in the top 20 in the country.

We need to fecking get over ourselves and take the gamble.
"It's about style and success". So not Mourinho then?

I think you have a point, in that I don't think you should give a feck how your club is viewed by neutral/rival fans. It should be about whether his antics annoy you personally and whether you enjoy his football.

I'd really hate it if he managed my team because he's a poisonous twat who dishes up really shite football, but I couldn't care less what other fans thought.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Probably. I'm not the one arguing one is better than the other though.

The idea that the answer to a dressing room that has seemingly given up due to a run of bad defeats and negative performances, is one of the most negative managers in world football who just lost a dressing room (and staff) and turned the safest job in world football into a P45 in the space of 3 months is baffling to me.
This. I don't understand the short sightedness of some people. Do not want this prick at our club.

devilish

Can't see Sir Alex coming in as interim for a few months. Wont happen but if it did, he'd be back for a few years.
Asking him to stay for a few years would be pushing it. However I fail to understand the tragedy of asking him to manage for few months

devilish

We need to find our own Hiddink who can come in and do a temp job when our manager appointments don't work out :angel:
We have as a director someone who won more epl titles tHan anybody and who had already managed most players in our squad.

Ixion

Asking him to stay for a few years would be pushing it. However I fail to understand the tragedy of asking him to manage for few months
He left winning the Championship and not finishing below third for 20 years. He doesn't need to tarnish his legacy as we finish 5 or 6th under him and we have to move on from him eventually.

devilish

He left winning the Championship and not finishing below third for 20 years. He doesn't need to tarnish his legacy as we finish 5 or 6th under him and we have to move on from him eventually.
At this point, its not a matter of what he need but what we need. We need to ensure that 4th place and our current manager had gone senile. Everyone at the club need to make sacrifices and SAF is an employee at the club

I do remember someone saying once that no one is bigger than the club. Maybe I was wrong

O'Sheady

At this point, its not a matter of what he need but what we need. We need to ensure that 4th place and our current manager had gone senile. Everyone at the club need to make sacrifices and SAF is an employee at the club

I do remember someone saying once that no one is bigger than the club. Maybe I was wrong
I don't think that many people would be unhappy if we were told that Fergie was taking over as interim manager for the rest of the season Devilish, it is the suggestion that " he knows where the door is" if he didn't want to do it that people find silly. The man has already paid his dues at the club and then some.

Riz

Wouldn't want Fergie on an interim basis at all. He went out a winner like he deserved, he's free to enjoy his retirement.

devilish

I don't think that many people would be unhappy if we were told that Fergie was taking over as interim manager for the rest of the season Devilish, it is the suggestion that " he knows where the door is" if he didn't want to do it that people find silly. The man has already paid his dues at the club and then some.
If we were recalling SAF out of Lulz than I would agree with your statement. Same thing if he was asked to return as manager for 5 years. However we would be asking him to return for a couple of months and that his contribution is absolutely needed because if the club doesn't make it in the CL than it would lose millions. If I remember well it was SAF who said that no one is bigger than the club. I presume that that include him

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
My answer was no.

Now I am not so sure I wouldn't take him. Nothing, with the exception of David "way out of my depth" Moyes, could be worse than Louis van Gaal.

Crashoutcassius

I'm not sure if I like Jose as our manager, sure it will be fun for about 2-3 years but who knows what will happen then? My 1st choice is Guardiola, obviously. But if he's going to City I'm not sure I'd like the idea of Jose at Man Utd. He really hates Guardiola and will probably make a fool of himself, again.

But what about Ronald Koeman as plan B?
how would it be fun for 2-3 years? We'd be playing the most negative football in the league with a band of defensive mercenaries, hoping that martial can have a moment a game or that young can dive and win us a peno.

Lets like not sugar coat it, if we got mourinho it would be because we are scared that city are going to pull away. We would be giving away our youth traditions and attacking traditions out of fear. I don't mind if that's what fans want, but just tell it like it is

Spoony

The People's President
how would it be fun for 2-3 years? We'd be playing the most negative football in the league with a band of defensive mercenaries, hoping that martial can have a moment a game or that young can dive and win us a peno.

Lets like not sugar coat it, if we got mourinho it would be because we are scared that city are going to pull away. We would be giving away our youth traditions and attacking traditions out of fear. I don't mind if that's what fans want, but just tell it like it is

I think LVG football has desensitised fans besides nowt can be worse than the tripe we've been served by the Dutch imposter.

Mainoldo

Is that how they won the league last year? I remember i great game against Everton that involved more than one moment of magic.

Crashoutcassius

Is that how they won the league last year? I remember i great game against Everton that involved more than one moment of magic.
mourinho scored like 100 goals with real madrid one season. Taking one data point like that isn't going to be a good predictor of the future though. Looking at his career, not many people would say he is an exciting manager to watch

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It's pretty much how they won it. They were dull as feck for at least half a season.

The first half less so, but nowhere near as exciting as people were saying.

Crashoutcassius

It's pretty much how they won it. They were dull as feck for at least half a season.

this

i feel deja vu, having the same arguments when people said LVGs barcelona were thrilling and that the dutch team is summer were great to watch

Red_toad

This. I don't understand the short sightedness of some people. Do not want this prick at our club.
For me give him a 2 year deal with aclub option for a third year. Van Gaal will be gone soon, Moyes got 18 months or so, so how exactly has the long sightedness of those running the club helped.
We need a manager who will get results & stabilise the squad. The players look terrified to try things & confused as to what Van Gaal expects them to do. Chelsea last season played some cracking stuff & his record with young players isn't as bad as some are trying to make out.
I know he won't be at United for a decade, but in the medium term he'll resolve quite a few of the issues our squad has & get the team winning on a regular basis again.

Mainoldo

I'm not going to be stupid and say i am not aware what he is all about. But what is our problem, the dull football or the losing. I can't recall Mourinho ever restricting his players except expecting them to work hard. LVG has basically restricted every attacking player he has had at his disposal here.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not going to be stupid and say i am not aware what he is all about. But what is our problem, the dull football or the losing. I can't recall Mourinho ever restricting his players except expecting them to work hard. LVG has basically restricted every attacking player he has had at his disposal here.
He's most definitely restricted his players before. Hazard was right when he called out Mourinho's attacking plan as him plus no one else. Cristiano Ronaldo had similar complaints, he kicked off about how defensive they played against Real Madrid.

Regardless, it's personal opinion. If you're willing to accept defensive football in order to win trophies then that's fine. All I'll ask is why you're so insistent on using van Gaal as the benchmark? If you have a problem with his boring football, surely the aim should be to hire a progressive manager, not just someone slightly (if even) better than Mourinho in that respect?

I mean...when Liverpool had Paul Konchesky as left back, I wasn't going to be happy with Figueroa as his replacement just because he was slightly better than what we had. The same logic should be followed with managers.

If quality of football isn't important to you at all then fair enough.

RedChip

I find it telling that, despite how bad things have got, the vote is still just in favour of Jose.

Mainoldo

He's most definitely restricted his players before. Hazard was right when he called out Mourinho's attacking plan as him plus no one else. Cristiano Ronaldo had similar complaints, he kicked off about how defensive they played against Real Madrid.

Regardless, it's personal opinion. If you're willing to accept defensive football in order to win trophies then that's fine. All I'll ask is why you're so insistent on using van Gaal as the benchmark? If you have a problem with his boring football, surely the aim should be to hire a progressive manager, not just someone slightly (if even) better than Mourinho in that respect?

I mean...when Liverpool had Paul Konchesky as left back, I wasn't going to be happy with Figueroa as his replacement just because he was slightly better than what we had. The same logic should be followed with managers.

If quality of football isn't important to you at all then fair enough.
Well now your just being disrespectful to Mourinho. I don't care about the boring football.. I thought that was clear enough. We've been playing rubbish football since Fergie's last two seasons. Mourinho and LVG are different as there style is not the same. LVG consists of no shots on target, Mourinho consists of rigid powerful teams that don't play flowing football.

The real question is what is the alternatives, your talking like we have better options. Maybe we should just get Martinez and hope the money and better quality players he will have at his disposal will limit the fact he can't get a team to flipping defend.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
So, because we've been shit for three years, we should expect that now? And not aim any better?
What would be the point in bringing in a horrible twat of a manager who's likely to steady the ship for one season then destroy us and leave us worse off than we are now, the next season?

Mainoldo

So, because we've been shit for three years, we should expect that now? And not aim any better?
What would be the point in bringing in a horrible twat of a manager who's likely to steady the ship for one season then destroy us and leave us worse off than we are now, the next season?
Aim for any better. Jose Mourinho is arguable top 3 in managers in the world. I can't remember Chelsea regressing when he left, Inter Milan went broke and Real Madrid went on to win the Champions League. So what club has he left in a mess?

We can talk about youth as well if we want, but right now its not like we are blessed with youth waiting to come through.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Aim for any better. Jose Mourinho is arguable top 3 in managers in the world. I can't remember Chelsea regressing when he left, Inter Milan went broke and Real Madrid went on to win the Champions League. So what club has he left in a mess?

We can talk about youth as well if we want, but right now its not like we are blessed with youth waiting to come through.
Yeah everything improves when he leaves, funny that.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Well now your just being disrespectful to Mourinho. I don't care about the boring football.. I thought that was clear enough. We've been playing rubbish football since Fergie's last two seasons. Mourinho and LVG are different as there style is not the same. LVG consists of no shots on target, Mourinho consists of rigid powerful teams that don't play flowing football.

The real question is what is the alternatives, your talking like we have better options. Maybe we should just get Martinez and hope the money and better quality players he will have at his disposal will limit the fact he can't get a team to flipping defend.
Disrespectful how?

Mainoldo

Disrespectful how?

That!!

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah everything improves when he leaves, funny that.
Madrid won the Champions a year after he left with pretty much a team assembled by him. Chelsea continued strong after he left for the first time. Inter hired Benitez so the joke is on them. And Porto sold half of their players but still remained strong.

The idea that Mourinho leaves clubs in a mess is completely unfounded. It could be argued that this is the first time that happened.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

That!!
What? I wasn't saying van Gaal was at Konchesky's level and I wasn't saying Mourinho was at Figueroa's level.

It's just an extreme example of how the benchmark shouldn't be the crap you have in front of you. van Gaal's football is awful but that doesn't make anyone who plays slightly better football than him good enough for you.

Mainoldo

What? I wasn't saying van Gaal was at Konchesky's level and I wasn't saying Mourinho was at Figueroa's level.

It's just an extreme example of how the benchmark shouldn't be the crap you have in front of you. van Gaal's football is awful but that doesn't make anyone who plays slightly better football than him good enough for you.
I assume you wasn't. I just didn't get your point. We would be hiring one of the best mangers in the world. It's hardly like we are settling for less or slightly better, if that's the case we would get Benetiz.

We would be getting a better manager who hopefully can make players like Depay, maybe not Mata lol, Schneiderlin, Darmian, even bloody Rooney play better.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I assume you wasn't. I just didn't get your point. We would be hiring one of the best mangers in the world. It's hardly like we are settling for less or slightly better, if that's the case we would get Benetiz.

We would be getting a better manager who hopefully can make players like Depay, maybe not Mata lol, Schneiderlin, Darmian, even bloody Rooney play better.
My point was about the quality of football, not the standard of manager overall.

As you said though, quality of football isn't important to you, so no real point discussing that point I was making any further.

legball

He's one of the best managers in the world, up there with Guardiola who is likely going to Manchester City. Your club is languishing in mid table, everything points to him wanting the job (just like he did when Ferguson retired) but we're here arguing about how long he'll stay, and shit football. It's a myth that his football is shit. He plays counter attacking style & packs the bus against better opposition, his football is not as expansive as Guardiola's, but it's far far better than the bilge we've had to put up with for the last 2-3 years. He's a big time A lister manager, and above all, he's a serial winner. Why are we having this debate? Who are the alternatives?

Mainoldo

He's one of the best managers in the world, up there with Guardiola who is likely going to Manchester City. Your club is languishing in mid table, everything points to him wanting the job (just like he did when Ferguson retired) but we're here arguing about how long he'll stay, and shit football. It's a myth that his football is shit. He plays counter attacking style & packs the bus against better opposition, his football is not as expansive as Guardiola's, but it's far far better than the bilge we've had to put up with for the last 2-3 years. He's a big time A lister manager, and above all, he's a serial winner. Why are we having this debate? Who are the alternatives?
No one is a better alternative right now and i don't know why people are debating especially with no clear other candidate.

Riz

Excellently put.