Pogba vs De Bruyne: who is the better passer?

One of them has been consistently brilliant for about 3-4 years in two leagues and is now bandied around as a potential Ballon Dor contender - he also seems to pull a world class assist out in every other game, sometimes two or more in a single match. And one of them has one good game in 5 against poor opponents and gets bossed around by Shelvey before being taken off.

No contest here for me as a neutral, I'd take De Bruyne all day long as I'm sure any club in world football would, I'm not even sure I'd swap Pogba for Wijnaldum, and that's really saying something cos Gini is garbage. I think a lot of United fans really do have red tinted glasses on when it comes to Pogba, some of you come across as mums at school protesting their son's an angel when everyone else knows they're a menace. Has he ever really shown anything consistent to justify the pedestal he's on? Whilst in the Prem I mean, harking on about him at Juve doesn't wash.

The United mates I've got that are refreshingly honest all pretty much say he's been hugely underwhelming at best, and a massively overrated fairweather player at worse, one even wants him to be sold before clubs finally click on he's not quite elite level and his value bombs. People sound a bit like some Liverpool fans with regards to Pogba, permanently waiting for next week, next month, next year for him to come good. How much time does he get before the realisation dawns.

Yet with De Bruyne, no matter who you support people can't hide the fact he's a class above everyone else in the league. It's not purely cos he's at City either, he was doing the same at Wolfsburg, hardly a hot bed of talent and £50m players all around him.
:lol:

Pogba's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Pogba at his best offers you ~70% of Kante and ~70% of Ozil at the same time(Kante's ability to be everywhere and win the ball back+Ozil's attacking creativity and impact). He's an absolutely ridiculous player. That said, De Bruyne right now is better, and he's better than Pogba's ever been. But Pogba's younger. I think he might yet reach that level too. But one thing he will never be, he'll never be the creative force that is De Bruyne. He just doesn't have it
Never seen this from Pogba. But I think he has the potential to match KDB.

For me KDB is far more consistent.

However pogba is capable of producing a magical pass more often than KDB.

However IMO KDB reads the game in a much better and quicker way than Pogba. KDB is one of the best passers in the world, I believe he is far better than Pogba in this department.

Although Pogba's passing can be class too. Just feel as though sometimes the delay before the pass is too long, and his reading of the game is not at the same level as KDB.

Pogba can perform a majestic 60 yard cross field pass, and then mess up a 5 yard pass seconds later.

I think the way he is so effortless with his passing is wonderful to watch, however I think it makes people overrate his passing ability, Because he makes it look so effortless.

Pogba has definitely regressed since his Juventus time. He doesn't produce performances like this anymore. If used correctly he can be unplayable. Watching this back now it's hard to believe this is the same player we have now. By contrast KDB played in the same game and had no effect on it. Look at the difference now. He has gone forward under Pep and Pogba has gone backwards under Mourinho. No-one can say coaching doesn't make a difference. It clearly does.

An example of how good Pogba can be if played in the RIGHT position.

To those saying KDB is better, can you honestly say he would be better or at where he is if he was played out of position?

Pogba is capable of doing anything De Bruyne does, he has that ability but is just nowhere near as consistent.

Pogba had a huge athletic advantage too. Until this season.

Except he
An example of how good Pogba can be if played in the RIGHT position.

To those saying KDB is better, can you honestly say he would be better or at where he is if he was played out of position?

You do realize that De Bruyne didn’t start off in the position he is in now?

Which is what I said too, both parts.

Reducing individual performances to "mentality" mostly strikes me as nonsense, and that Balotelli comparison somewhat confirms that. Besides, I thought Pogba has mostly been good to very good this season up until the last few games, so I already disagree with the main presumption many people here make.
To me Pogba is a player who has all the basic assets to be a top rank player but he just doesnt seem to want it enough. He has some impressive performances with Juve, France and United to his credit but just lacks that burning desire to improve at all costs.
He needs to look hard at what he isn't doing for the team and work with the coaches to rectify this.
He needs to care less about his image and haircuts, roll up his sleeves, open his ears and eyes and justify the huge investment United have made in him with a package of fee, wages and the expense of acquiring complimentary players to suit his needs.
He has it in him but whether you'll ever see consistently enough to build a team around him is open to plenty of doubt.

I don't know. I'm mainly objecting to the notion that Pogba is better at passing or that they are tied in that respect. I personally think Pogba is class (obviously) and at Juve I thought he was the second coming of Zidane. But I think with respect to KDB, people are completely overlooking what he did in Budesliga. He was making the same killer passes, and won the player of the year awards over star-studded Bayern players etc.

To me Pogba is a player who has all the basic assets to be a top rank player but he just doesnt seem to want it enough. He has some impressive performances with Juve, France and United to his credit but just lacks that burning desire to improve at all costs.
He needs to look hard at what he isn't doing for the team and work with the coaches to rectify this.
He needs to care less about his image and haircuts, roll up his sleeves, open his ears and eyes and justify the huge investment United have made in him with a package of fee, wages and the expense of acquiring complimentary players to suit his needs.
He has it in him but whether you'll ever see consistently enough to build a team around him is open to plenty of doubt.
To be frank, in my eyes this post is mostly based on prejudiced cliches (just like the earlier Balotelli comparison), but let's leave it at that.

KDB. This is a no contest. They are different types of player but purely on passing there is only one winner.

KDB is not only a better passer and crosser of the ball he also works much harder and imo shows better decision making than Pogba but of course he also plays in a team that functions much better than ours right now. That being said I feel Pogba is actually better at shielding the ball and dribbling when he is at his best.

KDB is not only a better passer and crosser of the ball he also works much harder and imo shows better decision making than Pogba but of course he also plays in a team that functions much better than ours right now. That being said I feel Pogba is actually better at shielding the ball and dribbling when he is at his best.

Agreed. I also feel Pogba doesn't quite know what type of player he is yet which is crazy at 24.

KDB. This is a no contest. They are different types of player but purely on passing there is only one winner.

this is right, I'm afraid - and the type of 50 yard specials that PP hits are mainly for show too, usually - soppy diagonals that change the point of the attack, they look great, achieve not that much most of the time.

and in general, PP needs to have a word with himself, innit - :(

Last edited:
To be frank, in my eyes this post is mostly based on prejudiced cliches (just like the earlier Balotelli comparison), but let's leave it at that.
No let's not.
The Balotelli comparison was not originally mine, I thought that Pogba is in danger of becoming a guy like Balotelli who I saw stall his career by concentrating on his social life and failed to listen to those who tried to help him turn his undoubted gifts into footballing elite consistent performances.
I suspect that you think the comprison is based on colour, build and haircut. If that’s your view man up and say so.

No let's not.
The Balotelli comparison was not originally mine, I thought that Pogba is in danger of becoming a guy like Balotelli who I saw stall his career by concentrating on his social life and failed to listen to those who tried to help him turn his undoubted gifts into footballing elite consistent performances.
I suspect that you think the comprison is based on colour, build and haircut. If that’s your view man up and say so.
No, it was about the claim that Pogba isn't ambitious, or isn't working hard, which in my eyes has absolutely no basis in reality. I think the main prejudice at work is "flamboyant, unreliable show pony" vs. "honest worker". Quite a few people happily put Pogba in the first category on account of his personal tastes and on-field player type, the result being a quite distorted image of him as a person and player.

No, it was about the claim that Pogba isn't ambitious, or isn't working hard, which in my eyes has absolutely no basis in reality. I think the main prejudice at work is "flamboyant, unreliable show pony" vs. "honest worker". Quite a few people happily put Pogba in the first category on account of his personal tastes and on-field player type, the result being a quite distorted image of him as a person and player.
OK we can agree to disagree on some of those issues but they are debatable and it will be fascinating to find out the outcome.

This will be a non contest for a long as we have Mou as the coach here. Both in terms of how good they are an also how good they are as passers.

Technique-wise Pogba is as good as De Bruyne at giving any kind of passes. De Bruyne's vision however seems more developed to me.

No mate, you're the one full of shit. So, by your silly logic, every team that sets up to play on the counter is dominated? LOL.

I've watch more football than you ever had mate. LOL!!!

I was cherry picking? I said counter attacking teams beats Pep. I gave you few examples. Notice the "s". You gave me one.

Jesus your full of it.
You didn't play on the counter because United didn't counter they just parked the bus and done feck all for 90 minutes. Even ex united players said so, along with pro's but your opinion is correct and theirs wrong because you go on to try and school me like a 12 year old girl would type. Stop crying about it. Its not the end of the world one game.

How is 4 wins in 20 games one example, your math is as bad as your football knowledge. As for the childs comment with the bolded lol that makes you look about 12 we'll forget you posted that.

Madrid conceded 32, 33 and 42 goals in 3 season under Jose, that is less than 100 goals in 3 league seasons... do the math.

You accuse me of cherry picking and use 2 of 20 games as an example. When I can give you 10 times Pep beat Jose. You gave me nothing bar a game that meant feck all and a team who clung on in a CL semi final nearly 10 years ago.

I gave you the 2 managers with the best records against Pep. Klopp and Wenger who've face him more than once, Klopp teams may be good on the counter but they are not counter attacking teams... they attack from the off and don't play on the counter but counter when the opportunity arises, but they relentlessly attack.

The best manager at counter attacking football in the world, Mr. Jose, has his worst record against... a certain Mr. Guardiola and Klopp.
There is literally nothing to suggest counter attacking football is more effective against Pep, at all. In fact teams and mangers who attack Pep tend to have the best records against him. You're speaking off your opinion rather than facts and actual results which clearly show going toe to toe with Pep teams is what beats him (as long as you have a good team)

Jesus your full of it.
You didn't play on the counter because United didn't counter they just parked the bus and done feck all for 90 minutes. Even ex united players said so, along with pro's but your opinion is correct and theirs wrong because you go on to try and school me like a 12 year old girl would type. Stop crying about it. Its not the end of the world one game.

How is 4 wins in 20 games one example, your math is as bad as your football knowledge. As for the childs comment with the bolded lol that makes you look about 12 we'll forget you posted that.

Madrid conceded 32, 33 and 42 goals in 3 season under Jose, that is less than 100 goals in 3 league seasons... do the math.

You accuse me of cherry picking and use 2 of 20 games as an example. When I can give you 10 times Pep beat Jose. You gave me nothing bar a game that meant feck all and a team who clung on in a CL semi final nearly 10 years ago.

I gave you the 2 managers with the best records against Pep. Klopp and Wenger who've face him more than once, Klopp teams may be good on the counter but they are not counter attacking teams... they attack from the off and don't play on the counter but counter when the opportunity arises, but they relentlessly attack.

The best manager at counter attacking football in the world, Mr. Jose, has his worst record against... a certain Mr. Guardiola and Klopp.
There is literally nothing to suggest counter attacking football is more effective against Pep, at all. In fact teams and mangers who attack Pep tend to have the best records against him. You're speaking off your opinion rather than facts and actual results which clearly show going toe to toe with Pep teams is what beats him (as long as you have a good team)
Oh look. The Citeh fan is back with more horse shit.

Sure. I'm sure Mourinho went and tell the boys. Alright boys, we are not going to attack Citeh for the full 90 minutes. We are just going to play for a draw and when you have the ball, just boot it up field. Yeah, that must be it.

You gave one example of how Pep destroyed counter attacking team. I gave you multiple. In the research world, a conclusion made from a sample size of one spells moronic. Use your brain and do some thinking. I speak to you based on how i perceive your intelligence, which at the moment is non-existent. Mou, Jupp, Simeone and to a certain extent Klopp have all bested Pep. Do the math.

I accuse you of cherry picking because i gave you three managers and another poster gave you additional one more. You chose to harp on a Messi inspired Barca. Even Tito looked good with Messi. Clung on? Yeah sure, you conveniently forgot Inter played with 10 man that day (iirc).

The last sentence just shows how silly you are. Klopp's team is an attacking unit against weaker teams. They play on the counter against your oil team. Saw the last game? United is the same. Since when did we play on the counter against weaker teams? Use some common sense.

Is it not facts when i gave you a list of manager who have bested Pep?

Last edited:

Don't want to take part in this shit fest but this is very much wrong. Manager with best record against Pep is Klopp and he plays counter attacking game against Pep sides.

Counter attack means attacking game, there is a difference in counter attacking and parking the bus.

Yup, ok, not always, but stats don't ALWAYS tell the whole story. His passing definitely wasn't great though. Sometimes a pass can be a bad pass and still be an assist but players like Scholes, Xavi, KDB etc make it as easy as possible for the player receiving the ball. Fat Frank rarely did that IMO.

Yup, ok, not always, but stats don't ALWAYS tell the whole story. His passing definitely wasn't great though. Sometimes a pass can be a bad pass and still be an assist but players like Scholes, Xavi, KDB etc make it as easy as possible for the player receiving the ball. Fat Frank rarely did that IMO.

He rarely played deep enough to play the really eye catching passes. Although he was no Scholes (that's a ridiculously high bar to be deemed "awful" if you don't meet it), he was very good.

To call Lampard an "awful passer of the ball" is just a bit silly.

Wow, this turned into a trainwreck.

Starting an argument with an ad hominem insult really doesnt help your point come across better. Just throwing that out there to no one in particular.

On this topic, I think it’s very hard to compare De Bruyne and Pogba. At the moment KDB is obviously doing much better, but that’s large part thanks to the players around him. Football is a team game after all.

That being said, I still think Pogba is slightly overrated as a player. He obviously has the talent, but he needs to develop the consistency. He’s not a youngster anymore, he neesa to step up.

He rarely played deep enough to play the really eye catching passes. Although he was no Scholes (that's a ridiculously high bar to be deemed "awful" if you don't meet it), he was very good.

I'm not talking about eye-catching balls, in fact more or less the total opposite. Anyway, off topic.

Weird how De Bruyne’s passing gets marked down for being in a great side in this comparison yet I’ve never heard anyone mention how Scholes was in the side that dominated the league for a decade to make his passing look better than it might have been. As somebody mentioned way back, when it comes to passing, this is only a debate because it’s a United forum. De Bruyne can match Pogba for technique but leaves him way behind in consistency and decision making; he’s far better at moving the ball around the pitch.

Before KDB I've never seen someone cross a ball with laser like accuracy consistently and with either foot.

On overall ability though fwiw, I highly doubt Pogba can drag a team like Wolfsburg to 2 trophies with Dost and Bendtner as the attacking outlet and bulldoze his way to become the poty while breaking the all time assist record.

People talk about pogba's natural ability being higher than KDB, are forgetting the most important natural ability in a midfielder, decision making. KDB exceeds Pogba in that department. All the great midfielders present and past had it, it's what made them great.

On current form, De Bruyne is miles above Pogba not only in passing, but also in team work and decision making, unfortunatelly :(

On current form, De Bruyne is miles above Pogba not only in passing, but also in team work and decision making, unfortunatelly :(
I believe a good mentor will leads Pogba to KDB level. Unfortunately Mourinho won't be that man.

he’s far better at moving the ball around the pitch.
Not that hard when you have a defined attacking structure where players are always at certain position all the time.

Before KDB I've never seen someone cross a ball with laser like accuracy consistently and with either foot.
Pogba to Mata for the Sanchez penalty.

are forgetting the most important natural ability in a midfielder, decision making
Again, Pogba's decision making at times isn't the best as he gets carried away trying to prove himself. always happens in big games.

However, let's not make it sound like KDB is Xavi or Scholes in the making. Pep's defined system plays a huge part.

I believe a good mentor will leads Pogba to KDB level. Unfortunately Mourinho won't be that man.

Think you're vastly overrating the ability of a manager and their coach to improve the basics of a matured player. They can make them more effective by utilising them bettet but not vastly improve individual technical ability (maybe mentality). Scholes wasn't the player he was because of Sir Alex or any of our coaches.

There is nothing wrong with Pogba's decision making.

He seems to do pick the right passes against lesser opponents. It usually is against bigger teams where he seems to think that he needs to do something fancy to prove himself and thus misses the right passes.

one plays in a team who attack majority of the game and have constant runners the other plays alot further back and has a lot of static players. if Pogba was at city he would be looking as good as KDB is just now and have no doubt he would have as many assits and goals as KDB. Pogba has been quality most of the season to be fair but this last month hes performances have certainly dropped.

Lampard's season at City made me appreciate how good a passer of the ball he was.