Pochettino | Agrees to be US National Team Coach

Been very videogame how they’ve signed many ‘high potential’ players but a lot of these transfers will turn out to be misses - how many of them will actually become world class and how many will be Antony Martials? Is the environment there for them to develop when they all have the pressure of starting every week whilst the squad has been gutted of experience, especially in terms of premier league experience.

I questioned this here in the summer and was told by a Chelsea fan Pochettino was in on all this planning, was selling what he didn't want and was building a squad to be a roaring success - what happened?

I don’t think anyone actually believed that?

Poch clearly, like Potter, had had nothing to do with planning anything.

The same issues exist. Bloated squad and one game a week. It’s a disaster given the money spent, huge contracts handed out and the new regime.

Very funny that they're still 6 points behind us.

I had my ‘we’ve had an utterly disastrous season but we’re only 3 and 4 points behind United and Newcastle’ post ready in my drafts but Chelsea won’t let me even have tiny nice moments like that :(

I don’t think anyone actually believed that?

Poch clearly, like Potter, had had nothing to do with planning anything.

The same issues exist. Bloated squad and one game a week. It’s a disaster given the money spent, huge contracts handed out and the new regime.

I initially thought Potter was a good fit - Tuchel had been playing a 3421 or 3412 at Chelsea and then Potter had done the same at Brighton. Then Chelsea spent massive on wingers it was baffling.

Thing is, Chelsea create chances. They could have easily went in 2 or 3 at half time but couldn't finish. Us, on the other hand, create next to nothing.
Sterling's 1v1 was very similar to Garnacho's yesterday. Both should've scored. Other than that, I can't remember them creating anything else in the first half?

I watched them play couple of times. They aren't as bad as us. These guys pin the opponents quite easily but they just can't score. Not saying Poch is doing a great job but they play better than us for sure .

Picking a manager is such a gamble. I have no idea what the Chelsea structure is like, but what a bloody mess they are in as well.

All the money, all the spending, and it is still a dog’s dinner.

I watched them play couple of times. They aren't as bad as us. These guys pin the opponents quite easily but they just can't score. Not saying Poch is doing a great job but they play better than us for sure .
Agreed. They have a striker problem like us but play better football in general.

Picking a manager is such a gamble. I have no idea what the Chelsea structure is like, but what a bloody mess they are in as well.

All the money, all the spending, and it is still a dog’s dinner.

Yeah, 4 points less than at the same stage last year...

Embarrassing, makes Potter's tenure look a lot better with hindsight.

Which is what I said all along when he was here, but I was told I was being purposely blind.

As much as I like to banter about Chelsea (not that much anymore actually) I do feel for you lot.

Your club has been run pretty efficiently under Roman, even if with questionable morals. The whole thing has now been ripped up and from the outside looks an utter shambles.

Real shades of what we’ve been experiencing under the Glazers if I’m honest.

We also can't defend set pieces at all, which is extremely concerning. Any second ball opportunity against us is guaranteed to have at least 2 or 3 unmarked opponents.

Recent match between the two showed they were worse than United. They are fairly hopeless defensively lucky they didn't concede 5 goals in that game and worth taking into account it's a United side that struggle to create against most teams this season.

You can say they're better than United all you like. The fact is, we had the better chances against Liverpool and we should have been out of sight by half time against West Ham.

Our problem is we can't fecking finish. We only get 2 or 3 chances per game and a decent finisher would have us scoring 2 or 3 goals per game. We've seen it fairly recently, in Europe and against Everton, where we actually finished our chances.

They have 6 points less so no, they're not better than United. They are clearly even worse.
Especially if you are going to make the argument by saying they are better but have a 'striker problem', as opposed to who? Us whose main striker is a 20 year old kid with 0 league goals?

You can say they're better than United all you like. The fact is, we had the better chances against Liverpool and we should have been out of sight by half time against West Ham.

Our problem is we can't fecking finish. We only get 2 or 3 chances per game and a decent finisher would have us scoring 2 or 3 goals per game. We've seen it fairly recently, in Europe and against Everton, where we actually finished our chances.

I won’t get involved in the whole Chelsea is actually better than United thing. That’s a fight you guys can fight amongst yourselves.

But I’d just say we also had the better chances against Liverpool, and should have been out of sight in the first half against West Ham. Being profligate in front of goal has been our biggest problem by far, and in the last 10-12 games or so our defence, that started the season well, has gone down the toilet too.

There is two things that can be true in this instances:

They're worse at grinding out result than us which makes them the worse team currently. Their overall playing style is more solid and may click sooner than our supposed new rebuild.

For a convenient, easy biased comparison, I would say it's like Poch first season with Tottenham. Poch team as hindsight showed had high potential ceiling than LVG. LVG deservedly finished higher, because we had players with more experience in grinding out result. However, in the long run, Poch's Tottenham with few changes over the year peaked higher (at different time) than even the best from Mourinho for us. Had LVG continued, Poch's Tottenham would have been untouchable for us.

Continuing the way both clubs are, Chelsea may be able to catch up to us just by one forward signing or someone like Nkunku contributing goal on consistent basis.

Last edited:
There is two things that can be true in this instances:

They're worse at grinding out result than us which makes them the worse team currently. Their overall playing style is more solid and may click sooner than our supposed new rebuild.

For a convenient, easy biased comparison, I would say it's like Poch first season with Tottenham. Poch team as hindsight showed had high potential ceiling than LVG. LVG deservedly finished higher, because we had players with more experience in grinding out result. However, in the long run, Poch's Tottenham with few changes over the year peaked higher (at different time) than even the best from Mourinho for us. Had LVG continued, Poch's Tottenham would have been untouchable for us.

Continuing the way both clubs are, Chelsea may be able to catch up to us just by one forward signing or someone like Nkunku contributing goal on consistent basis.

Good take IMO. Looking at the goal expectancy estimates (Understat.com) for our teams it gets pretty clear both have been absolutely woeful when it comes to finishing chances:

Chelsea xG 37.66 --> goals scored 29
United xG 26.45 --> goals scored 18

Both clubs are hopelessly underperforming their chance creation to an extent that only Everton in the EPL can currently match, but it's also worth noting that our goal expectancy is overall quite a bit higher and right up there with the likes of City, Arsenal and Liverpool while United are only 11th on the xG table.

As far as allowing chances to the opponent, the xGA and goals conceded numbers are as follows:

Chelsea xGA 26.97 --> conceded 28
United xGA 32.98 --> conceded 23

Also intriguing numbers. United have allowed their opponents a decent amount more goal scoring opportunities but the actual goals concede number is around 20% less. This right here is the main difference between the two clubs at the moment.

Despite being a low-scoring team themselves at the moment, United also have a very solid defensive record. They have a more experienced squad and are much better at seeing out games where they've managed to score the first goal and the better defensive record actually allows your attackers to look for that first goal of the game a lot longer than ours does. Chelsea on the other hand, always seem to have a defensive mistake just waiting around the corner and this usually gets amplified the longer the game drags on at 0-0. If we've failed to score within the first 50-60 minutes, you can just sense the opposing team getting more and more confident of nicking it. Once the opponent scores and proceeds to set up their team to defend the lead, the ref might as well just blow the whistle there and then because our current bunch just aren't good enough or experienced enough to come back from a goal down.

So yeah, while our playing style and chance creation has been overall pretty good all season, we absolutely deserve our current league position. I'm intrigued to see if the presence of Nkunku in our attack will change our fortunes. He's a top class player who can both finish and create chances. Just too bad Jackson will be heading to AFCON soon because I'd have liked to see how his link-up with Nkunku works in actual competitive games. For what it's worth they seemed to have pretty good chemistry in pre-season.

Chelsea are absolute dung, they’re not in the same sphere as us and we’ve been pretty bad this season.
Any sharing of misery isn’t warranted. It’s been almost two fecking years of this for Chelsea, nothing is clicking and nothing is about to click. They’re clickless.
They’re also 8 points above 4th from bottom. If this continues they’re in a relegation fight

Chelsea are absolute dung, they’re not in the same sphere as us and we’ve been pretty bad this season.
Any sharing of misery isn’t warranted. It’s been almost two fecking years of this for Chelsea, nothing is clicking and nothing is about to click. They’re clickless.
They’re also 8 points above 4th from bottom. If this continues they’re in a relegation fight
If i had to chose between United‘s or Chelsea‘s squad I would probably opt for Chelsea‘s.

If i had to chose between United‘s or Chelsea‘s squad I would probably opt for Chelsea‘s.
Why? Because of their price tags?
We have absolutely no idea how good these players are, there isn’t any data to judge them on.
I’m looking at them and Palace and I’m not sure who I’d say the better team is

On XG table they're 4th, which tells me XG difference as a standalone metric is wank

On XG table they're 4th, which tells me XG difference as a standalone metric is wank

It’s only wank if you’re looking for it to tell you more than it tells you. All that says is we create more chances than most teams. That’s it. It’s not an alternative table or something else that claims Chelsea are actually the 4th best team in the league. If you look up the big chances missed stats, you’ll find Chelsea are right at the top of that table and our starting striker is in and round top 5 in the league for big chances missed, which when combined with that xG table of yours gives a pretty good insight into Chelsea’s problems. And voila, the table you saw ended up being pretty useful for you ;)

Last edited:
XG is nonsens. No manager looks at it or takes notes from that. Nothing else to be said.
Pretty much this,
It's a stat to use at the end of the season, but then even then not many managers take a lot of notice in the stat.