Pick your most over-rated England player

Kane. Not only was he horrendous the whole tournament but his inclusion made it harder for Foden and Bellingham too.

If we start Toney or Watkins last night, I think there's a chance we nick it. We desperately needed an outlet in that first half. We defended well but had no chance of making anything stick in there half with him playing.

Last edited:
Thought Walker had a terrible tournament. Usually a 7/8 out of 10 for England and City. Thought he was always out of position and in earlier games in the tournament had an awful touch. All succumbed by their winning goal. Out of position, managed to get back to Cucarella and then lets the cross in anyway.

Issue is he can see, or should see Oyzarbyol is running to the near post towards him and the ball, given the covering defender, between him and the direction of the ball, it can only be touched back towards the near post, covering the middle is a little poor in my opinion. I am being hyper critical but he didn't need to move to the middle of the goal, if he stays put, he foot saves it imo.

Yeah, I see that. I think he's gambled on both players missing the ball and gone for the low claim. It's a tough situation, but I agree he should have stood his ground.

Harry Kane. Absolute bottler in big games
I support this message

Kane. Not only was was horrendous the whole tournament but his inclusion made it harder for Foden and Bellingham too.

If we start Toney or Watkins last night, I think there's a chance we nick it. We desperately needed an outlet in that first half. We defended well but had no chance of making anything stick in there half with him playing.

I feel the same about yesterday's game. It's unbelievable that Southgate dared to persevere with stubbornness of starting Kane despite the overwhelming evidence that he was mostly shit the whole tournament

Yeah, I see that. I think he's gambled on both players missing the ball and gone for the low claim. It's a tough situation, but I agree he should have stood his ground.
Perhaps harsh but a top keeper will read it a bit better but I am being a bit harsh

Has to be Foden. Kane was bad throughout, but he did score 3 goals which, hilariously, earned him a share of the golden boot. Bellingham had a poor tournament, but he did score a couple of crucial goals. Saka, I thought, was actually the best of England's key attackers overall.

Only Foden did absolutely jack. He was the worst and most anonymous by far, and he's hyped to high heaven by the media and the pundits as some kind of tekkers saint.

Bellingham, based on the hype to performance ratio. Commentators were still talking up every shit performance he put out.

I fully accept that he had a very good first season at RM.
But during the Euros for England, I thought he displayed a couple of bad habits.
Firstly, his tacking was mostly mistimed lunges and often not staying on his feet.

I also got the impression that his fame has gone a bit to his head as he seemed to expect everyone to pass to him although his movement off the ball was not that good.

I don't doubt his immense talent. But apart from the overhead kick, didn't make much of an impression.

Rice is a popular choice right now but I'm going with Walker. Jesus Christ, that guy, all speed and no brain and no first touch. What has happened to him?

Rice. Midfield is England’s problem. He’s a good box to box midfielder but he’s not the answer when you need a midfielder that can control a game and set the tempo.

Honourable mentions for Walker and Stones too.

Walker has pretty quietly gotten away with a terrible tournament with little to no criticism. Most criticism has been focused on Kane, Foden, and Bellingham, but Walker was pretty awful in every game. His attacking play was poor throughout. He's in the team for his cheat code pace and defensive contribution. Both goals came from him being nowhere near where he should be. If he's not doing what he's in the team for, there is no reason to play him.

In this Euro, Rice and then Kane probably.
Bellingham, partly because of the media hype and that Hey Jude advert. One would think Bellingham was the biggest star and the most exciting player to watch out, but he was hardly exciting or setting a high bar.

Foden. Had an excellent season for city, but Ive never been massively impressed by him outside of the most recent PL season.

Walker has pretty quietly gotten away with a terrible tournament with little to no criticism. Most criticism has been focused on Kane, Foden, and Bellingham, but Walker was pretty awful in every game. His attacking play was poor throughout. He's in the team for his cheat code pace and defensive contribution. Both goals came from him being nowhere near where he should be. If he's not doing what he's in the team for, there is no reason to play him.

I actually agree. He gets away with it because by and large the defence has been solid enough (helped by most of the teams we've faced being quite toothless) and there's been such a heavy focus on Kane, Foden and Bellingham. I think he's been awful and this is hopefully the last time we see him at an international tournament.

Kane. Could barely move and we always looked better whenever he was subbed off.

Honourable mention for TAA, wasted game time and ensured a slow start to the tournament trying to play a RB who can't defend in midfield just because he spams crosses for Liverpool. Also because pundits seem to witter on about how he's a generational talent (mainly G Nev)

It’s intriguing doing ratings for England’s players who started the first match (for their overall tournament), bearing in mind they reached the final:

Pickford - 7

Walker - 4
Stones - 5
Guehi - 5
Trippier - 5

Rice - 4
Trent - 4

Foden - 2
Bellingham - 5
Saka - 6

Kane - 3

It’s only Pickford and those who came in afterwards and/or were little used subs - Mainoo, Shaw, Palmer and Watkins - who arguably lived up to their reputations.

The same people wanting england to play all out attack, would be same ones loosing their minds if Rice was dropped. But as Spain showed, you need players in all positions in midfield that can receive and pass the ball properly, and for all his undoubted strengths, Rice isnt that guy.

I actually agree. He gets away with it because by and large the defence has been solid enough (helped by most of the teams we've faced being quite toothless) and there's been such a heavy focus on Kane, Foden and Bellingham. I think he's been awful and this is hopefully the last time we see him at an international tournament.
Walker and Tripper were both really bad at fullback, but I give Trippier more of a pass. He's playing out of position and it's mostly only Newcastle fans that are rating him at this point. Walker was in his best position and a very experienced player in big games. His performances were nowhere near good enough.

I do think Kane was worse, but everybody is saying that. Most people wanted him dropped. Walker is the highest rated player in the squad that hasn't received much criticism in my view. I'm hoping we move on from Kane and Walker for the next World Cup. They have given England some great performances over the years, but it should be the end of the road for them.

Picking just one is difficult. I think all of them can do much better than shown. Hot take but they need better management. Someone with a bolder vision and the charisma to really fire them up.

Foden. People are going to be in for a shock when Pep leaves City and Foden is forced to play in a system that doesn't involve repeatedly playing 5-10 yard passes until you score from a cutback.

Declan Rice definitely. I guess he is ok, but there is no way that average midfielder cost a hundred million.

I think they're all overrated if the expectation from the fans and media is that they're good enough to just go out and play on the front foot, or that they just need to be unleashed or whatever. But again, the only international team I can remember who was good enough to do that is maybe Brazil 2002 so it's not really a criticism to not be as good as that. English media tends to think that all you need to play on the front and dominate is to have good players and just decide to do it. Makes you wonder why the likes of Pep get paid as much as they do if it was that simple.

Declan Rice definitely. I guess he is ok, but there is no way that average midfielder cost a hundred million.
He's good but is also really average at the things he's not good at, like most midfielders. Arteta figured this out and put someone to complement him and hide his weaknesses. For England, he, like many other individuals, are just expected to do it all because it's a football culture built on individualism and all action.

Probably Foden. In the FA Cup final I was scared he'd get the ball in a shooting position because he's such a good striker of the ball in those situations, but other than that I think he's a little overrated.

Don't see the Rice shouts. He's not special on the ball but unless you've got like 2/3rds or more possession every team needs a midfielder who makes things tough for the opponents and I think he did that in this tournament again (as he has consistently for England), even in the final, it's not like Dani Olmo particularly shone.

Pickford. Comes across as an absolute cocky gowl he's just a pure old hoofball merchant who makes a meal of most things he has to deal with. Must be a nightmare to have that tosser with his weird energy and stupid hair in goal behind you.

Great shout. And perfect description. Him and Kane are making it easy to still dislike England despite an influx of fairly likeable players. Although Bellingham seems to be on a fast track to gowldom.

Picking just one is difficult. I think all of them can do much better than shown. Hot take but they need better management. Someone with a bolder vision and the charisma to really fire them up.
There was quite a funny bit in the final where he made a save or something and was doing an overly-theatrical ‘calm down’ gesture and as the camera cut away from him you could see his face contort with rage as he started running forwards someone and shouting at them.

Like Frank the Tank screaming at everyone to keep their composure in Old School.