Phil Jones

As much as its a huge compliment, Sir Alex did just see a young man play like an English Nemanja Vidic, despite the fact he can also play a role in midfield or right back, proving himself a lot more adaptable than the Serb. It seems like every manager that works with him and every professional player who speaks about him only has glowing things to say.

Absolutely wonderful yet again at centre back!

jones.jpg

Got caught too tight once though, other than that very strong, needs to learn from Evans.

Fergie saying Jones could be United's greatest ever player.

Is that right ?

He strongly emphasised the "arguably" part before he said it, but its clearly at the back of his mind that it could happen if he consistantly plays like he did tonight.

Incredible Fergie quotes aside, tonight really was some pretty colossal stuff from Jones. He looked like a truly great centre back already and not just someone who could get there one day.

I know John terry is not popular and so many non Chelsea fans seem to not give him credit for his peak years.

When jones plays in the centre he is like terry version 2. For me this is a very good thing.

I agree completely, I think he's like Terry in quite a few ways but also quicker and more agile.

He has the same knack of reading the game and managing to get a bit of his body on everything that comes near him.

When exactly did it look ridiculous?

Given Welbeck's talent and England's lack of quality strikers besides Rooney, chance were always pretty good.

Think he said he would play the next World Cup when he was 17 with a year or less left.

He is the player who can be captioned with the weirdest face.

But he is becoming better and better.

City fans are obsessed with him, and as such I demand a billboard campaign of his giant, gurning face all around the city centre. Come on Glazers, just this once do the right thing.

City fans are obsessed with him, and as such I demand a billboard campaign of his giant, gurning face all around the city centre. Come on Glazers, just this once do the right thing.

Why? Have I missed something?

Visit Bluemoon pretty much ever, they're forever slagging him off, and of course one of their most commonly sung chants references him.

I don't get it either.

He was really good tonight, but should have cost us a goal about 10 minutes in with one of the daftest pieces of defending you'll ever see.

He needs to play at centreback more! It's clearly his natural position and the errors will iron themselves out if we ever stop pretending he's a midfielder or fullback every other week.

Visit Bluemoon pretty much ever, they're forever slagging him off, and of course one of their most commonly sung chants references him.

I don't get it either.

What a strange player to randomly hate. Weirdos.

I'll be the first to admit that he has had me questioning his ability at centre back at times but I'm completely sold on him there now. Barely 21, can't imagine how good he will be at the age of 30, NINE years away.

Life saver. Will put his head between You and a bullet.

Legend that will grow through generations.

Sir Alex knows what he's talking about.

If he can stay fit over the course of a season, that would be really helpful in terms of his development and also for us since he is so versatile and he will not need to worry about getting games.

What I love about him is how well he seems to read the danger to nip in and come out with the ball or cut out a short pass.

:lol: You lot are taking it a bit too seriously. Nonetheless, I think he'll become our best CB we've ever had.

:lol: You lot are taking it a bit too seriously. Nonetheless, I think he'll become our best CB we've ever had.

If Jones and Smalling can get to within 10% as good as Vidic and Ferdinand, I'll be delighted. If they become better which they have the potential to do, they'll be incredible. Both so young and to think we have Evans too.

He will play hundreds and hundreds of games for the club no doubt about it. And a future captain for many years.

One week he plays CM and you sigh a little bit at his future, then the next he plays CB and you see his face and just can't help but love him.

His performances at CB this season (although very few) have been top notch and I look forward to him taking a leap forwards next season because no doubt about it, that medal around his neck in 3 weeks will spur him on to take things to the next level.

To celebrate our 20th title, I think we should have a top 20 Phil Jones gurns thread.

He's gone in full-on beast mode at CB the last couple of matches he's played there.

Looks miles better there this season compared to last time around. Fantastic talent.

Was about 2nd or 3rd in the "loving the title celebrations" stakes... what a man!

He's a superb Centre Back... beastly at times tonight.

I was surprised at Fergie's comments but he'll be seeing things we don't, and all in all Jones has had a decent season playing multiple positions. I hope next season he plays more often at CB.

Think he said he would play the next World Cup when he was 17 with a year or less left.

18 with over a year left. He might have made it too if he hadn't missed the u21 Euros and large parts of the subsequent season through tendinitis.

He was really good tonight, but should have cost us a goal about 10 minutes in with one of the daftest pieces of defending you'll ever see.

He needs to play at centreback more! It's clearly his natural position and the errors will iron themselves out if we ever stop pretending he's a midfielder or fullback every other week.

They're ironing themselves out nicely as it is. There's been a clear and dramatic improvement in his performances in central defence this season, compared to last.

What I mostly like about him is that he shows no fear, no stress, he doesn't seem unfazed by mistakes.He plays like a seasoned pro, it's so easy to forget he's a kid.

Loved Jones since we signed him. Absolutely quality player and will go on to be a united legend no doubt.

Him and Smalling are a pretty exciting future CB pairing for us and England - and I'm a fan of Evans too.

Gary Neville

"I think this lad is going to be a star. I think he's someone who could be a captain of Manchester United in the future. He's really solid, someone who I think can be a huge player in the next 10 years."

Carlo Ancelotti

"He is one of the best defenders of his age and one of the best in England. He will have to work hard but I believe he has the ability to arrive at the same level as John Terry."

Fabio Capello

It is difficult to find a player like him, really difficult,’’ the Italian said.

“He can play in different positions always at the top level. I found in my career probably two players – Franco Baresi and Fernando Hierro. They played as midfielders and after they played centre-back. I think really good players!

“Jones is a talent. So young but a big talent because when he receives the ball he plays always without fear. Good passes, good solutions. I know something about football and the solution that he chooses every time when he receives the ball always the best.

Big Sam

Asked how much work he had to do with Jones to prepare him for playing in midfield, Allardyce said: "Not a lot. If you are a natural, you are a natural.

"We talk about the coaching side with great importance but at the end of the day, some people just naturally have the ability that they have and that is why they become a top player.

"He is a natural - he senses where he should be and what the situation is around him.

"For a young man, he makes more right decisions than some more experienced players.

"Moving him into midfield was a big ask because the game is so much more difficult in there as it is all around you, rather than just coming on to you as a centre-half.

"But he commanded that position with great quality on Saturday I felt and it was a big, big bonus for us to see him in that position.

"Hopefully he will grow in there. I ultimately see him in the end at the back, but certainly for now, he is making a good contribution in the middle of the park in that sitting role."

His mental strength and the abilities to cope with the pressure of the Premier League at such a young age stood out.
"He wasn't fazed, didn't look too nervous and was quite calm.
"That is very important going into the biggest league in the world at such a young age.
"I think he made his Premier League debut against Chelsea and was man of the match.
"His mental strength was always going to be good enoough and that is one of the biggest factors if you are going to be a top, top player.
"I think eventually, with a little more experience, which is going to gain more quickly at Manchester United, he will ultimately become an England defender."

Alan Hansen

Playing alongside Nemanja Vidic or Ferdinand on a weekly basis at United would help nudge Jones into position, but considering that neither Sir Alex Ferguson nor Capello is willing to play Jones regularly at centre-half, it shows that he isn’t the finished article yet.

He is certainly a player with a really bright future, though. All of the big clubs tried to sign him during the summer and that’s because he is the best hope of becoming the next Ferdinand.

He could be United and England’s leading centre-back for the next 10 years if he gets it right because there is nobody else out there. The best players in that position, such as Terry, Ferdinand, Jonathan Woodgate and Jamie Carragher are either too old, too susceptible to injury, or both.

The reason why they all wanted Jones in the summer is because he has the aggression, the desire and leadership qualities which are so rare in combination. His determination shines through. Sir Alex has admitted that Jones’s readiness to drive on his Blackburn team-mates at Old Trafford last season while they were losing 7-1 sums him up.

Sir Alex Ferguson

"Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player. I think Jones may be one of the best players we have ever had, not matter where we play him. At 21 years of age, he is going to be a phenomenal player. I think he can play anywhere on the pitch.
"He has such a massive influence, with his instinct and reading of the game. He has a drive about him.