Paul Gascoigne | Still living

JohnnyKills

All part and parcel of being an alcoholic....and don't the media love it!
Yeah, the way they put the headline in block capitals is really classy isn't it. They're clearly revelling in another person's despair.

I always wonder how damaging Venables' light-touch managerial approach was for Gascoigne. Had he been managed by a firmer hand (a Ferguson or Dalglish) things might have turned out differently and he might have been able to cope better with his difficulties.

Last edited:

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Yeah, the way they put the headline in block capitals is really classy isn't it. They're clearly revelling in another person's despair.

I always wonder how damaging Venables was for Gascoigne. Had he been managed by a firmer hand (a Ferguson or Dalglish) he might have turned out very differently.
Paul carries a lot of demons with him that he struggles with on a daily basis. He does well to cope as well as he does.

Dobbs

I always wonder how damaging Venables was for Gascoigne. Had he been managed by a firmer hand (a Ferguson or Dalglish) he might have turned out very differently.
Incredibly harsh on Venables, actually quite am unpleasant statement you've made there.These are serious illnesses that Gascoigne suffers from. This idea that a football manager could cure or cause them is way off.

Fergie couldn't stop Sharpe, Whiteside and Mcgrath from just getting pissed. Gascoigne suffers from depression, easting disorders and various addictions. Totally different level.

JohnnyKills

Incredibly harsh on Venables, actually quite am unpleasant statement you've made there.These are serious illnesses that Gascoigne suffers from. This idea that a football manager could cure or cause them is way off.

Fergie couldn't stop Sharpe, Whiteside and Mcgrath from just getting pissed. Gascoigne suffers from depression, easting disorders and various addictions. Totally different level.
Gascoigne moved to London at the age of 21, an age when you need strong role models around you. It's not unpleasant to suggest a stronger role model might have helped him adjust and mature as a human being. By all accounts Venables favoured a light touch approach which might not have been the best for Gascoigne's long-term development.

I know from personal experience just how damaging mental illness can be, but thanks for reminding me.

Edit: I have tweaked my original post to might my point clearer, hopefully any misunderstanding is removed now.

Last edited:

Dobbs

Gascoigne moved to London at the age of 21, an age when you need strong role models around you. It's not unpleasant to suggest a stronger role model might have helped him adjust and mature as a human being. By all accounts Venables favoured a light touch approach which might not have been the best for Gascoigne's long-term development.

I know from personal experience just how damaging mental illness can be, but thanks for reminding me.
Dont get that at all. Eating disorders and addiction aren't about maturing and adjusting.To say Terry Venables contributed towards one or more of his illnesses is wrong on many levels. He was his boss for a couple of years, Gazza's problems were already evident before the Spurs move. How does a football manager cure him of mental illness when highly trained, highly paid psychiatrist can't.

I just don't think anybody deserves blame for Gascoigne. Millions suffer in the same fashion and will continue to do so.

JohnnyKills

Dont get that at all. Eating disorders and addiction aren't about maturing and adjusting.To say Terry Venables contributed towards one or more of his illnesses is wrong on many levels. He was his boss for a couple of years, Gazza's problems were already evident before the Spurs move. How does a football manager cure him of mental illness when highly trained, highly paid psychiatrist can't.

I just don't think anybody deserves blame for Gascoigne. Millions suffer in the same fashion and will continue to do so.
I don't want to get into an argument on this mate. We clearly have very different views on Venables' influence over Gascoigne's career, and the way a brilliant but fragile individual was handled. Let's just agree to disagree.

Dobbs

I don't want to get into an argument on this mate. We clearly have very different views on Venables' influence over Gascoigne's career, and the way a brilliant but fragile individual was handled. Let's just agree to disagree.
No argument from my point of view, just debate.

Charlie Foley

I've never really bought the 'waste of talent' I hear a lot about Gazza. It's not 'just' alcoholism (you know what I mean) or your typical undisciplined footballer. He has serious mental troubles, even as a small child, I've always felt the fact that he managed as much as he did is remarkable given what he's dealt with his whole life.

All that said, while you can't blame Venables at all, it is interesting to hypothesize what would have happened in different circumstances. Fergie might have done 'better' than Venables, but he wasn't able to sort out the drinking issues of McGrath/Whiteside or, in the case of Ravel Morrison, who a player's associating with. So while it's a nice narrative, and SAF has said himself he felt he could have helped Gazza, there's no guarantee at all.

FujiVice

Gazza's form of mental issues could have been helped, as a lot of us who suffer from depression or anxiety could have from an earlier point in time. At least enough to where he can control certain aspects of his career better. Would he still have become an alcoholic? Probably. Would he still be suffering from all the issues he suffers (nightmares brought on by his best friend dying, depression, OCD etc)? I imagine he would. But as a player, I imagine under better management he'd have had a much longer career. I dont think, for example, Ferguson wouldn't have put up with Gascoigne's super excited approached to games where he'd not be able to control his emotions and charge into players like he did in the FA Cup final in 91 (which lead to that knee injury that more or less finished him off as a top player). Gascoigne's career would have came out far, far better under Alex Ferguson, but he's not a miracle worker. He could have helped control a lot of his issues, but they dont simply go away because he's been told to "pull your socks up."

Charlie Foley

Gazza's form of mental issues could have been helped, as a lot of us who suffer from depression or anxiety could have from an earlier point in time. At least enough to where he can control certain aspects of his career better. Would he still have become an alcoholic? Probably. Would he still be suffering from all the issues he suffers (nightmares brought on by his best friend dying, depression, OCD etc)? I imagine he would. But as a player, I imagine under better management he'd have had a much longer career. I dont think, for example, Ferguson wouldn't have put up with Gascoigne's super excited approached to games where he'd not be able to control his emotions and charge into players like he did in the FA Cup final in 91 (which lead to that knee injury that more or less finished him off as a top player). Gascoigne's career would have came out far, far better under Alex Ferguson, but he's not a miracle worker. He could have helped control a lot of his issues, but they dont simply go away because he's been told to "pull your socks up."
Yeah that's fair, probably better way of saying what I was trying to say. It could have been better, but still troubled. Alternatively, Gazza might have reacted poorly to Ferguson's authoritarian approach.

He did say football was his escape, and he didn't have the nervous twitches/thoughts about death while he played.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The fact Paul Gascoigne achieved what he did whilst suffering from these sorts of demons, present even before he laced a pair of boots professionally, should be celebrated. I know people mean well when they mourn for a career that could have been but it doesn't help and I am sure only frames any anxieties he may suffer from even more sharply.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Actually probably everyone deserves blame for Gascoigne including himself.

Currently suffering through mental illness and going back through everything in my life because my mind is sharp as a tack for negative things and you realise just much a product of everything around you you are. Everything from your parents and family members loving you too much, not enough, being violent, being too soft, getting bullied at school, watching things on TV, etc. It all affects you on a massive scale and if you get multiple negatives building up and they never get dealt with at the right time then at some point you snap completely.

I've never read enough about Gazza to know his full personal story but if his upbringing was in any way negative then it'll have had massive repercussions on him developing and then dealing with his hormonal feelings during his teenage years. By the time he became a footballer it sounds like it was his only release from himself and the reason he got so bad after retirement was because football was the only thing keeping him together.

Everyone needs to share a bit of the blame, there are a million factors that have led to him becoming the person he was and is now.

Venables probably inherited a person already too far gone as you say and he can't be expected to completely help Gazza sort his life out, he's a football manager but a light touch and letting him get away with things will have contributed to him getting even worse. Similarly though we say SAF could have sorted him out but the hairdryer approach could've crushed Gazza too.

The mind is an immensely fragile thing and sadly Gazza has been let down by everyone, including himself. I know that much.

PeteReDevil

iPete
A documentary - don't know if it is the one that came out last year or so, just started on Danish tv. Just the thought of him always gives me a lump in my throat

Red Stone

Have to admit, I expect the worst every time I see his name on the front page here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The inevitable will happen. Just steel yourself for he news.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Every so often he makes a TV appearance where he looks healthy and happy, but then not long after you see photos like this.

It's such a shame. There's seemingly no hope for him and it does look inevitable at this point that his body will call it quits.

Do we know where/why it all went wrong?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Every so often he makes a TV appearance where he looks healthy and happy, but then not long after you see photos like this.

It's such a shame. There's seemingly no hope for him and it does look inevitable at this point that his body will call it quits.

Don’t know what the trigger was but I think it’s pretty obvious that he suffers from alcoholism and seems to have severe mental issues. Was it ”just” the usual emptiness after retiring as a professional athlete? That’s all it often takes if you’re not surrounded by the right kind of people, getting support and having any plans for the future. Not saying Gazza didn’t have this. Looking at the photos it’s hard to believe he’s only 49.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC

He was in court a couple of weeks back about some comments he made in a live show - don't know the details. Presumably he didn't cope well in the run up to that and this is the aftermath.

Stories like this in the Sun are just plain sick though - profiteering from his addiction. The worst will be when the inevitable happens - I can imagine the sycophantic headlines as they milk his disease that one last time.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Its tragic to see any human being in such pain and seemingly beyond help, even more so one who at his peak brought joy to millions :(

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
That is a truly evil thing to say.
Alcoholism -- and any addiction -- is a horrible disease. It tears your entire family to shreds.
I can fully appreciate that. I've suffered from addiction myself and know firsthand the pain it causes. Gazza has been offered far more help than your everyday man but seemingly doesn't want to help himself. He lost my sympathy a long time ago.

Classical Mechanic

I think Gazza is a different type of drinker to Bestie. George Best drank all the time but kind of steadily, quite social with it. Gazza said himself that he has only been drunk for 18 months of his life, it is that he goes on really destructive severe binge drinking sessions when he does and seems to really lose it.

Waltraute

She-Devil
I can fully appreciate that. I've suffered from addiction myself and know firsthand the pain it causes. Gazza has been offered far more help than your everyday man but seemingly doesn't want to help himself. He lost my sympathy a long time ago.
I'm sorry I came off so harsh and self-righteous, and I can understand your point of view, of course. Anyone with addicts in their family, or having fought addiction themselves, can understand that moment when you're just so, so beyond fed up with the lies, the negativity, the being pissed in the face at every turn, the feeling of pouring all your love and effort into a black hole.

I hate that I came off as preaching. It's just I'm hanging on to the person/addiction divide for dear life, and I still feel for Gazza as a person.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Didn't read the story but from what I gather he went to get a bottle of gin and painkillers?

That'll end well for him, I'll be very suprised if he sees this year out at this rate.

Client6

As someone who has been battling addiction in the family for years, I am truly sorry but this doesn't make your comment any less inappropriate. You, of all people, should know it doesn't matter how much help an addict gets, it is still a disease with a cure that largely depends on willpower and hope, and only takes a gentle push in the wrong direction to destroy all the hard work and help. For someone like Gazza, especially, any amount of help is not enough. The Sun is a disgrace, how is this going to help any body?

I never saw Gazza play, just as I never saw Best play, but from what I have seen and read, they were brilliant footballers. The aftermath of their careers make me sympathize more with them, and I truly hope, against all odds, that atleast Gazza recovers. I wouldn't wish this disease even on my worst enemies.

I rarely post but this struck a chord, I am sorry if I have come across as harsh, but abandoning all sympathy and hope never really got me anywhere at all, and I'd encourage every one else to do the same every single time.

Cheers!

Reactions: Solius

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its a disease and if you truely did suffer from addiction you would understand this. Given that its a disease do you also lose sympathy for those who suffer from cancer after they have received a lot of help but relapse?

However your comment about him needing to be put out of his misery is vile, cowardly and disgusting. You wouldnt have the balls to say it to his face.

jungledrums

Should never have gone to Lazio.

Briiliant player in his prime though.

In the early 90s there werent many starting 11s in club / international level he wouldnt have had a shout of getting into.
Sorry, I know I'm late to the party here, but I always thought he was brilliant at Lazio? I'm also too young to have seen him play, but from what I've heard, after his injury, he was still brilliant for a few more years?
Just a general question to everyone now: is Gascoigne battling addiction, mental illness, or both?