Paris Olympic football, men

How the hell can VAR disallow a goal after the game has ended? Or am I misunderstanding something?

They need to beef up security for the next matches. Ridiculous that an Olympic games match can be disrupted like that.

How the hell can VAR disallow a goal after the game has ended? Or am I misunderstanding something?

They need to beef up security for the next matches. Ridiculous that an Olympic games match can be disrupted like that.

It wasn't finished. Only postponed because of the pitch 'invasion' - why it took so long to restart I don't know, maybe took time to get people out

It wasn't finished. Only postponed because of the pitch 'invasion' - why it took so long to restart I don't know, maybe took time to get people out
Oh, ok. That's much better. The way some journalists wrote the story it was as if the game had ended and the decision was taken then.

Oh, ok. That's much better. The way some journalists wrote the story it was as if the game had ended and the decision was taken then.

I think everyone kind of assumed it was finished, because there was zero official communication and it was around the end of added time, I think even the official app had it as finished for a while, but I guess the referee reminded them he actually didn't blow for full time

Yeah that's what I thought the story was too. It does make sense now, even if it was a bizarre set of circumstances.

I think everyone kind of assumed it was finished, because there was zero official communication and it was around the end of added time, I think even the official app had it as finished for a while, but I guess the referee reminded them he actually didn't blow for full time

This...
in fact neither team wanted to play those extra minutes and I guess neither team expected such a VAR conclusion either.

The two most imprtant things to be solve are the:

1. Clear communication regarding how they are actually working with stoppage time, this new VAR rule has to be more known.
2. Pitch invasions, I dunno how many times happened even during the match and obviously the late stuff was way over the top for an Olympic match.
2. And lastely sthg. that won't be solved: the level of the refs. Between not oblying players to be treated outside, a very dubious to not existant penalty not reviewed by VAR and a bunch of strange decisions like a very very very clear foul by Otamendi in the border of our own area that almost ended in a goal, to two moroccian players crashing with each other and later calling a foul for Morocco, the match was full of wrong decisions going to both sides. This kind of stuff creates an unnecesary bad atmosphere, more being an Olympic event.

Crazy scenes in the Argentina vs Morocco match. We are still feeling the fall out from the Copa disgrace. Argentina players chanting racist songs, and then immediately playing in France against an African nation, was always going to be a recipe for unrest. The crowd was booing the Argentinian players since the start. Frankly, rightly so. But then of course things boiled over into pure anger once Argentina “equalised”.

What happened later with the goal being disallowed an hour later, playing 3 minutes behind closed doors, and Morocco winning 2-1 is just farcical and hilarious. Morocco deserved to win, and completely candidly I am delighted to see Argentina lose. Just wish Enzo had been part of the team.

Attended Mali Israel tonight and I was surprised at how light security actually felt compared to most PSG games in the same stadium. Very weird atmosphere for a tournament football game too with a wide variety of people in the stands.

Nice appetizer for the next couple weeks anyway.

I don't like Mascherano as a coach, I dunno, let's hope he shuts my mouth

Equi Gonzalez going to the Arabian League it's very bizarre, kids this days...

Ukraine beating Morocco is quite a surprise. Now Mascherano needs to beat Ukraine and in best case scenario hope for a tie between Irak and Morocco as the more suitable result. Quite a rollercoaster this group so far.

Last edited:
Great goal by Almada, Ecehverri it's apparently on vacations for Mascherano.

PD: I would have liked for Masche to use a really young kids in this squad like Echeverri, Mastantuono mix with Medina, Equi and Zenon plus Paz, Soule and others from Europe that are on loan or do not have minutes in their squads (Carboni too, but he got a place in the Copa squad). That would have been cool.

couldn't watch many games in this competition because of the time zone (me being in Japan) but it was an exciting group phase from a Moroccan perspective

Ukraine vs Iraq
Only watched a long highlight but it felt like Ukraine should have had a couple of goals lead before Iraq's tie and I think overall Iraq overacheved in this game.

Morocco vs Argentina
Football wise Morocco showed good stuff until we got the 2 - 0 then stupidly stepped back and left the possession to Argentina who deservedly reduced the score and put us under pressure.

Referee was poor for both sides but in the 1st half he was giving us yellow cards everytime an argentinian fell on the floor and in the other side he didn't even give obvious fouls like when Otamendi used his hands on Rahimi's face. In the second half a hazardous tackle with two legs on our player should have led to a red card but it wasn't given. Also I don't think the 15min was fair even if there was some time wasting. Overall it felt like the game's pace was too high for the ref.

Organization wise I hate it when morons invade the pitch but the security was ridiculous and apparently the first invaders were allowed back on their seat with made it feel like not a big deal for the following ones (testimony from a friend who was there).

Argentina vs Iraq
Fair victory for Argentina who dominated the game, Iraq was dangerous on counters though.

Morocco vs Ukraine
A lesson for our coach Sektioui who played most of his career in the Eredivisie. I said that be case defensively he showed naivety as he was too much focused on attacking when Ukraine got a red card. we ended the game with no CB as he took out one for a CM and one for a LB. We could have scored on many chances but without his risky subs we should have at least secured a tie.

Morocco vs Iraq
The players did very well pressing high on the pitch even after a 3 - 0 lead which shows we learned from the 1st game. The first half ended with 72% possession and so many chances created. In the 2nd half we wasted a lot of chances and Iraq had a couple of big opportunities saved by our keeper but we made subs to rest our key players and ended up with a good enough goal difference to secure the 1st rank and avoid host country France in the 1/4 final.

Next will be an interesting match agains USA, the home country of the father of one of our players who will also be playing in the country he was born in (Amir Richardson is the son of a former NBA player).

Reactions: Rood
DD not calling up Olise to the senior team should be a crime. France could have used his creativity in this past Euros.

Ruling that out.... :lol:

Where's he supposed to put his foot?

fecking hell. I turned it over just after the celebrations for the second. Why is it 1-0 :lol:

And that's the most predictable post match brawl ever. :lol: