Owen Hargreaves - the commentator

Was gonna start a thread about this. Initially thought he was just incredibly bitter but then it occurred to me, he's talking like a fan. If you scroll through the match-day thread you'll see exactly the same, relentless criticism. He basically spent 75% of his time talking about one side only, focussing mainly on what we're doing wrong. Go to any game at OT and there's always a bunch of blokes in ear-shot spewing a similar monologue about what we're doing wrong and what we need to do better. They criticise because they care. Makes for a really annoying commentary but nothing we're not well used to.

Well, to be fair, he did spend 75% of his time at United watching from the stands.

He's not the most thorough in his research is he? He thinks we spent 200m in the summer, doesn't know we rotate our penalty takers, and something else i remember him getting wrong that's just simple research. Anyone remember that might be able to clear that up for me? It's actually bugging me that i can't remember.

Another commentator who doesn't dare criticise Rooney, was amazing that he claimed Schneiderlin had no options on the ball because Martial/Depay/Mata needed to move and make runs and never mentioned Rooney.

I thought Hargreaves was ok tonight. If you heard any of Robbie Savage commentating on the City game we should count ourselves lucky.
Was he wearing a City a shirt whilst commentating?

Was gonna start a thread about this. Initially thought he was just incredibly bitter but then it occurred to me, he's talking like a fan. If you scroll through the match-day thread you'll see exactly the same, relentless criticism. He basically spent 75% of his time talking about one side only, focussing mainly on what we're doing wrong. Go to any game at OT and there's always a bunch of blokes in ear-shot spewing a similar monologue about what we're doing wrong and what we need to do better. They criticise because they care. Makes for a really annoying commentary but nothing we're not well used to.
That kind of talk is the reason I can't watch games in a pub.

Why is there always such a need for a co-commentator anyways? Feels like the TV stations have lost touch why they had them to begin with. They're there to give insight from a professional perspective that the commentator doesn't have or can't portray because he might sound bias. Now it's just the most famous ex-footballer that says yes. Usually they're the stupid ones because the ones that care enough have taken their badges and are coaches. These guys like Michael Owen Hargreaves just want to be in the limelight a little longer. Makes you wonder why they aren't binned after couple of games/shows.

There really should be an option on all channels to watch without commentary

I watched the league cup game in the bar on some forgein channel (tv9?)

It only had crowd noise, was fecking bliss lol

Bloody hell Pogue you need to spoiler that plot twist!

Two things struck me:

1) Nobody had a clue about our penalty taker rules despite it having been reiterated multiple times last season.
B) Owen Hargreaves is a real life Littlefinger. Those accents.
i know i did 1 and b sshh

He's still stealing his living I see, this time as a commentator.

Mind=blown
Is he actually a fan though, does anyone know if he talks similarly about Bayern for instance?

Possibly. He also referred to United as 'we' and all. So...

I really don't find Hargreaves to be as bitter as some make out, but one thing he did keep hammering on about last night was that we'd taken Schweinsteiger off, and how criminal that was. But surely we had to? Schweinsteiger was on a yellow and must surely been on his last warning since he didn't take the booking lightly. Schweinsteiger also loves a sliding tackle, and was still going in hard whilst on a yellow. He'd have been sent off if he stayed on the pitch I'm sure given how keen the ref to give a yellow for anyone in red. But they kept cutting the camera to him and saying "This is what he was brought here for".

Also the bit when he said "Bad planning from United. They've spent £200m in the summer and Valencia is having to play at RB". Does any club plan their transfer policy around the possibility of a first team player breaking his leg and missing the rest of the season? Having Darmian, Valencia and even Jones who can play RB and having Shaw, Blind, Rojo (and also Darmian) who can play at LB is adequate cover. Unfortunately Rojo is never anywhere to be seen either, and Jones had a freak injury/illness keeping him out for the first month or so.

I don't think Hargo is bitter. He's just a bit dumb.

Could be worse. Could be Savage and his style of holding the microphone as far away from his face as possible, and then shout into it wih his baseless voice from a great distance.

He was sure to kiss the arses of Rio and Scholesy, though, who just happened to be in the studio.

Not sure if you guys know, but Koke prefers playing in the middle more than out wide

Im pretty sure his advice for penalties was
"Dont miss" and "you have to force the keeper into a save"...

He was terrible tonight! Such a poor pundit. What annoys me the most is when he talks like he actually know the ins and outs of foreign leagus. Anytime Bayern are on, the only player he talks about is Costa. I mean do your homework on other players. Tonight, he kept on referring to a 25 year old Vasquez as the youngster with so much potential, what rubbish! He picks one player, and you'd think football is a solo sport. Ramos, MOTM? What happened to Gabi, Savic, Saul, Bale?...

I've never had the misfortune of hearing his co-commentary before tonight. The worst part is his voice is so dull it's like a black hole sucking out any enthusiasm you had for the game. Add to that completely inane comments, he is even worse than Mark Bright.

Where's Andy Grey or Big Ron when you need them?

Also Macca was a pain- oh we don't know much about this player. Ever heard of research and YouTube? Lazy scouser.

img_6422.png

"Fatigue...tired...exhaustion...knackeredness..."