Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

If he'd got himself two proper CM's I think the story could have ended differently.

But like the guys before him he got that part of the pitch wrong big time.

The run after Bruno signed was good football to watch. We were still an absolute mess in midfield, but it was good chaotic fun.

Ole wasn't up to the job and he probably knew it, but there's no chance he would have turned down the offer to go from interim to permanent manager. Club management under Woodhead was grim, but United kept hoovering in the cash and that, above all, is what matters to the Glazers.

Becuase we werent the only ones playing without fans. Every team did the same and didnt have the record.

Ole should have been sacked in the summer of 2021. 2nd place finish, cup final, thank you and lets move on.

Now I think about it, that UEFA cup final is probably the last time Martial played well. He was unreal in that game and really should have scored.
Sure, but my point is that the record should be perceived no differently than any other unbeaten streak. You can't extrapolate a special ability to win away games at a point when the away disadvantage doesn't exist.

Becuase we werent the only ones playing without fans. Every team did the same and didnt have the record.

Ole should have been sacked in the summer of 2021. 2nd place finish, cup final, thank you and lets move on.

Now I think about it, that UEFA cup final is probably the last time Martial played well. He was unreal in that game and really should have scored.

Sure but it doesn't mean that for whatever reason it did suit that group of United players more than any other team.

"Yes, I wanted to sign him. Manchester United will never sign a player the manager doesn’t want. That’s not the case everywhere. Jadon was put up as the No 1 target for the right wing by the scouts and when you look at his talent, I could see why.

Unfortunately, it has not worked out. When he arrived, he had to go to hospital and that was a setback as he couldn’t start the first games. He’s immensely talented and we haven’t seen the best of him. I hope we do, but he prefers to play left wing… where Marcus plays."

This is the one thing that pissed me off so much about this interview, a player number 1 target for the RW/RWF spot and the player preferred to play off the left did someone not stop and think here feck me

Ole's insistence for players to do this ruined Marital I think
Rashford played through back injuries for a while; Pogba came back from/played through an ankle injury (can't 100% remember) and played 120 minutes against Rochdale and was then out for ages; Martial claimed he couldn't sprint properly for about 4 months in matches etc. -- Ole did pretty terribly in his over-reliance on his main XI and had a massively alienated squad that he couldn't use.

Aargh thanks guys - my memory is pretty foggy these days but that match in particular, along with the 5 & 7 against Pool, sticks out in my mind. But honestly, I don’t recall much other than feeling completely numb as L1nk says, due to the sheer gulf in class and quality that match. It was like they conserved their energy for an actual tougher test, and they were at OT ffs.
It’s very rare that you see any team look that helpless in professional top tier football, let alone a supposed top club. It wasn’t much different at Liverpool, City or Brentford last year though.

It’s very rare that you see any team look that helpless in professional top tier football, let alone a supposed top club. It wasn’t much different at Liverpool, City or Brentford last year though.
Man, we’re really digging deep into those very worst moments as a United fan :(

I’m going to have to see a psychologist after all these memories and emotions I’ve tried hard putting behind me - have all coming flooding back now :lol:

I'm also not sure how vehemently defending Ole's tenure while relentlessly slagging off ETH makes you some sort of 'better fan'. Guess what; it shows you up as the hypocrite that you are.

I think it's more aimed towards them fans that relentlessly slagged of Ole even during the good times, calling him a PE manager etc. There was constant 'It's not the players, we have Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno etc, wait till we get a proper manager in like ETH or Poch'. They all had some know it all attitude.

At the time Ole went I agree it was the right choice, you can't really come back from the run he was on so I understood it. I think bringing in Ronaldo was ultimately his downfall rather than a more mobile CF - but I also think his record was good and he played decent football.

ETH did well last year to get us top four and ultimately into the top 4. I can't say I've been massively excited by the football and the 7-0 loss is one of the worst things I've seen as a United fan. This season hasn't started well but I hope he turns it round and I think he will. I'd be happy with another top four finish and a move towards a consistent style of play and hopefully getting results away from home.

I think it's more aimed towards them fans that relentlessly slagged of Ole even during the good times, calling him a PE manager etc. There was constant 'It's not the players, we have Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno etc, wait till we get a proper manager in like ETH or Poch'. They all had some know it all attitude.

At the time Ole went I agree it was the right choice, you can't really come back from the run he was on so I understood it. I think bringing in Ronaldo was ultimately his downfall rather than a more mobile CF - but I also think his record was good and he played decent football.

ETH did well last year to get us top four and ultimately into the top 4. I can't say I've been massively excited by the football and the 7-0 loss is one of the worst things I've seen as a United fan. This season hasn't started well but I hope he turns it round and I think he will. I'd be happy with another top four finish and a move towards a consistent style of play and hopefully getting results away from home.

I don't know what you mean by 'aimed at' - these fans aren't slagging off anyone other than ETH, and shitting on him at every opportunity. It's the exact thing they bitched and moaned about when it was happening to Ole; alas, hypocrisy.

Ole was an idiotic choice of manager, but it's how the club is run, unfortunately. He done better than expected in some ways, but imo it was a wasted 3 years.

We actually played some good football under ETH post-WC. Given it was his first season, he done relatively well. This season's start has been the stuff of nightmares, especially given all the off-field issues. I would be happy with top 4 and a really clear defined playstyle. I'm certainly backing him for now, but if we look this bad in a-few months, I'll reassess.

I may be mistaken, but i recall Andy Mitten saying on the Talk of the Devils podcast that he had been talking with Ole a few months ago. I think he mentioned them doing it over the phone when driving, which is what is said in the first line of the interview.

He may though have done the interview in parts.
Ah OK. Maybe it was in parts.

"Yes, I wanted to sign him. Manchester United will never sign a player the manager doesn’t want. That’s not the case everywhere. Jadon was put up as the No 1 target for the right wing by the scouts and when you look at his talent, I could see why.

Unfortunately, it has not worked out. When he arrived, he had to go to hospital and that was a setback as he couldn’t start the first games. He’s immensely talented and we haven’t seen the best of him. I hope we do, but he prefers to play left wing… where Marcus plays."

This is the one thing that pissed me off so much about this interview, a player number 1 target for the RW/RWF spot and the player preferred to play off the left did someone not stop and think here feck me

Ya it makes no sense. How did the scouts come up with a number one target whose preferred position is in a place we didnt need him

Ya it makes no sense. How did the scouts come up with a number one target whose preferred position is in a place we didnt need him

You have to believe that Sancho made all the right noises about being happy and comfortable playing on the right during the transfer saga and then walked it back once he was signed. The alternative scenario, that we never discussed it with him, would be possibly the most incompetent thing we have ever done and that would really be saying something.

You have to believe that Sancho made all the right noises about being happy and comfortable playing on the right during the transfer saga and then walked it back once he was signed. The alternative scenario, that we never discussed it with him, would be possibly the most incompetent thing we have ever done and that would really be saying something.

Everybody who watched a few games of him at Dortmund could have told you that he's no RW. As if they only scouted transfermarkt.de and never verified what they read on there.

UEFA’s new technical observer.

Probably got McKenna or Carrick to write that.

What's a Technical Observer? Effectively a coach writing tactical pieces on UEFA matches?

Enjoyable read, I’d like to see him back managing at some point.

Surprised he hasn’t gone back into management as quick.

We played our best football since Fergie under him. There was a match when we beat Villa away where Bruno, Pogba and Greenwood scored and I genuinely believed we were very close to being the best team in the league at that point. Up until the Ronaldo signing he did a good job, going a season without losing away is a great achievement.

He obviously had to go, we were a disaster in the end, the Ronaldo signing disrupted the momentum, Maguire turned calamitous and he stuck with Fred and McTominay for too long. As a United man, I don't have a bad word to say about him, he's a legend.

Reactions: golden_blunder
Bizarre to me that he hasn’t managed to get even a championship job, all I can think is that he’s turned stuff down. Tell me any other manager that gets to 2nd and 3rd in the premier league but can’t get a gig? Even frank lampard was being offered work after the shit he got up to!

Hope he does great there. I will always love Ole, and the most enjoyable times post Fergie were under him. It fell apart in the end but while it lasted it was great.

Agreed. The treatment he gets on his is disgusting. Up till his final season, United games were genuinely fun to watch.

Besiktas is dire right now. They went through 3 managers before even reaching Christmas break. Last place in their Conference League group, got outplayed by a relegation candidate team yesterday. Good luck to him if he gets the job.