Ole Gunnar Solskjær | Managerial Watch

That’s extremely harsh. We used to trash teams regularly and had a knack of winning at the bigger away venues. Not like now where every top half away ground is an automatic loss and the only question is how many our opponents will score.

Shocking list actually.

Sometimes when you try to approach your task from a new perspective your performance gets worse before it gets much better than what you were doing before.

Hopefully that's what's happening under ETH.

Wish Ole all the best in his future roles.

Although it ultimately wasn't to be, he gave us some great days while in charge and while it didn't end great, it wasn't for a lack of effort on his part.

A United legend now and forever.

Unlike some on here. I'll never forget his part on that magical night, May 26th 1999.

That’s extremely harsh. We used to trash teams regularly and had a knack of winning at the bigger away venues. Not like now where every top half away ground is an automatic loss and the only question is how many our opponents will score.

Now you’ll have to put the biggest losses post SAF for parity. Ole probably holds those records as well.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether fans of other clubs obsess over their failed managers as much as United fans do. Hiring Ole permanently was just another disastrous post-Fergie move. Our club has been a right fecking farce over the past 10 years.

I started watching Man UTD since 2003 and Ole Man UTD was my favorite among all after Sir Alex. It was the closest I could get of the Man UTD way..

We were chaotic for sure, but at least we had some fun.

I really hope Ten Hag can fix our attacking football soon.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether fans of other clubs obsess over their failed managers as much as United fans do. Hiring Ole permanently was just another disastrous post-Fergie move. Our club has been a right fecking farce over the past 10 years.
Aye, and then you get the sense almost wanting their successors to fail all so that they can prove a point about their preferred manager.

Wish Ole all the best in his future roles.

Although it ultimately wasn't to be, he gave us some great days while in charge and while it didn't end great, it wasn't for a lack of effort on his part.

A United legend now and forever.

Unlike some on here. I'll never forget his part on that magical night, May 26th 1999.
Why would anyone forget his part on that night regardless of his stint as a manager? I think everyone recognises his part. No body has discredited him for what he did particularly on that night.

Aye, and then you get the sense almost wanting their successors to fail all so that they can prove a point about their preferred manager.

Oh it's not even a sense; the likes of @Samid are blatant about it. Whether ETH turns out to be the answer; Ole certainly wasn't.

Who do we reckon?

Which ever high profile player(s) at the club at the time you don’t like the most, obviously.

He had to choose now?

Can't we have some quiet for a bit.

Cynical timing from him, he didn't do the interview after we won a cup last year.

He was a serial failure, completely out of his depth who signed Maguire (made him insta captain) and Sancho.
I highly doubt the Athletic interviewed him this morning, pal. They’ve obviously chosen to release it at this moment for opportune journalism at a low point to engage further clicks and views.

I also think - considering his love for the club and all - this interview could have been shelved for a-bit.

Given that:
- None of these were high pressured games.
- Many had no crowd.
- Many were in cup matches for competitions we shouldn't be caring about.

I'm not sure this is a great signal for a successful coach who could get us back to where (we think) we belong.

Yeah it's a weird sense of almost supporting an individual over the club.

This bizarre manager worship needs to stop. I think ETH done well last season, but I'm going to admit that he's really struggling this season. There's a plethora of reasons for that, but as the manager, it's on him to rectify it. I really like him, but I'm not going to ramantly defend him like the Ole and Jose fan boys.

It's actually hilarious at this stage that so many have chosen the Ole hill to die on. Just admit he's a legend of a player and a mediocre manager, and move on.

I'm also not sure how vehemently defending Ole's tenure while relentlessly slagging off ETH makes you some sort of 'better fan'. Guess what; it shows you up as the hypocrite that you are.

Now you’ll have to put the biggest losses post SAF for parity. Ole probably holds those records as well.

7-0 vs Liverpool (Ten Hag)
6-1 vs Tottenham Hotspur (Ole)
5-0 vs Liverpool (Ole)
4-0 vs Brentford (Ten Hag)
4-0 vs Brighton (Rangnick)
4-0 vs Chelsea (Mourinho)
4-0 vs Everton (Ole)
4-0 vs Liverpool (Rangnick)
4-0 vs Milton Keynes Dons (van Gaal)

Just narrowly missing out:
6-3 vs Manchester City (Ten Hag)
4-1 vs Manchester City (Rangnick)
4-1 vs Watford (Ole)
4-1 vs Manchester City (Moyes)

Ten Hag's five biggest defeats
22/23: 7-0 vs Liverpool
22/23: 4-0 vs Brentford
22/23: 6-3 vs Manchester City
22/23: 3-0 vs Sevilla
22/23: 3-1 vs Aston Villa

Ole's five biggest defeats
20/21: 6-1 vs Tottenham Hotspur
21/22: 5-0 vs Liverpool
19/20: 4-0 vs Everton
21/22: 4-1 vs Watford (sacked)
18/19: 3-0 vs Barcelona

I guess what is mad is Ten Hag's all came in one season while Ole's were spread out.

Last edited:
Ole Gunnar Wenger. Look what we could've had with the help of captain hindsight.

His reason for us not signing Caicedo (would have been worth the gamble for £4m)... The same would have applied for Bellingham and Haaland at that stage - Bellingham especially wouldn't have got a chance/run in the team.

Instead, we signed Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James for around £150m, brilliant value.

It's the Manchester United fanbase in a nutshell
Yeah, we see it with loads of players as well. Maybe it's just different generations of fans? (yeah, i might be an old man yelling at clouds :lol:)

This bizarre manager worship needs to stop. I think ETH done well last season, but I'm going to admit that he's really struggling this season. There's a plethora of reasons for that, but as the manager, it's on him to rectify it. I really like him, but I'm not going to ramantly defend him like the Ole and Jose fan boys.

It's actually hilarious at this stage that so many have chosen the Ole hill to die on. Just admit he's a legend of a player and a mediocre manager, and move on.
Yep, i've gone all in on EtH but come Christmas time and we're still struggling like we are etc., i'll seriously reconsider - if you got to go, you got to go. Fair is fair. Wouldn't cut him any more (or less) slack than i have any other manager (according to my own standards and interpretation of their tenures).

7-0 vs Liverpool (Ten Hag)
6-1 vs Tottenham Hotspur (Ole)
5-0 vs Liverpool (Ole)
4-0 vs Brentford (Ten Hag)
4-0 vs Brighton (Rangnick)
4-0 vs Chelsea (Mourinho)
4-0 vs Everton (Ole)
4-0 vs Liverpool (Rangnick)
4-0 vs Milton Keynes Dons (van Gaal)

Just narrowly missing out:
6-3 vs Manchester City (Ten Hag)
4-1 vs Manchester City (Rangnick)
4-1 vs Watford (Ole)
4-1 vs Manchester City (Moyes)

Ten Hag's five biggest defeats
22/23: 7-0 vs Liverpool
22/23: 4-0 vs Brentford
22/23: 6-3 vs Manchester City
22/23: 3-0 vs Sevilla

Ole's five biggest defeats
20/21: 6-1 vs Tottenham Hotspur
21/22: 5-0 vs Liverpool
19/20: 4-0 vs Everton
21/22: 4-1 vs Watford (sacked)
18/19: 3-0 vs Barcelona

I guess what is mad is Ten Hag's all came in one season while Ole's were spread out.
We've only had ten Hag for one season, tonight's game could be on the list, let's see.

I feel there's going to be some more hammerings this season as we're wide open in midfield and not solid at the back.

Ole fans jumping out of the closet " I'm Spartacus"
There is def an agenda all round here they are smelling blood and are after ETH.

Why do some still get so annoyed when he is mentioned (coincidently the same ones who still talk about him the most)?

Ole Gunnar Wenger. Look what we could've had with the help of captain hindsight.

His reason for us not signing Caicedo (would have been worth the gamble for £4m)... The same would have applied for Bellingham and Haaland at that stage - Bellingham especially wouldn't have got a chance/run in the team.

Instead, we signed Maguire, Wan-Bissaka and James for around £150m, brilliant value.

To be fair, whilst not a world beater James had his moments and was sold for a profit. Do actually think he was quite good value.

Good interview. At least we had a couple of fun years with him, though you always knew what the limit was and it's clear he doesn't quite get the reasons for the failure. You're more likely to collapse when going for the step up from top 4 and it all falling apart than just going for top 4. But sometimes that expectations is just built in due to the name of the club, you can't manage the expectations the way you want.

Curious on some of the players he's talking about. People will jump to Rashford but nah, Ole loved him and played him relentlessly and Rashford played through injuries for him. As he has done since Ole. My guess Lingard for some of those. Also no idea who turned down the option to be captain. De Gea? Shaw? Nobody else was captain material in the slightest when Harry got it.

Under Ole we were defensively better away from home but we were playing McFred and showing no ambition to get on the front foot. From memory as soon as we tried to open up in Ole's last season it started to fall apart. To me ETH seems to be trying to implement a style which allows us to open up a bit but for whatever reason, player quality/injuries/backing etc, it's just not coming together for him and it has resulted in some absolutely awful results.

EtH has a few :nervous:

anfield, etihad and Brentford springs to mind.
Liverpool 7-0 United (ETH)
United 0-5 Liverpool (Ole)
United 1-6 Spurs (Ole)
City 6-3 United (ETH)
Leicester 5-3 United (LVG)
Liverpool 4-0 United (Ragnick)
Brighton 4-0 United (Ragnick)
City 4-1 United (Ragnick)
Watford 4-1 United (Ole)
Brentford 4-0 United (ETH)
Everton 4-0 United (Ole)
City 4-1 United (Moyes)
United 2-4 Liverpool (Ole)

It’s been a rough ride…say why you want about LVG and Mou but they knew how to setup a team defensively. LVG’s one loss with more than 4 conceded included 2 penalties and a red card. Difference looking above is Ole is the only manager where we’ve been hammered at home.

Rashford or Pogba. Maybe Shaw.
Nah it's de Gea or Pogba. Rashford was a kid who wasn't a regular starter when Ole came in. Old turned him into a starter, would've been madness to make him a captain if he did ask.

I wish he just expiliticy said the owners are the problem, but I guess he just alluded to it.

As manager he said "we're a fantastically well run club". He won't live that down. No need for him to say it either.

Liverpool 7-0 United (ETH)
United 0-5 Liverpool (Ole)
United 1-6 Spurs (Ole)
City 6-3 United (ETH)
Leicester 5-3 United (LVG)
Liverpool 4-0 United (Ragnick)
Brighton 4-0 United (Ragnick)
City 4-1 United (Ragnick)
Watford 4-1 United (Ole)
Brentford 4-0 United (ETH)
Everton 4-0 United (Ole)
City 4-1 United (Moyes)
United 2-4 Liverpool (Ole)

It’s been a rough ride…say why you want about LVG and Mou but they knew how to setup a team defensively. LVG’s one loss with more than 4 conceded included 2 penalties and a red card. Difference looking above is Ole is the only manager where we’ve been hammered at home.

These results are shocking regardless of the circumstances. The two hammerings to Pool we didn't even muster a goal. It's been an absolutely brutal 10 or so years for this club

Nah it's de Gea or Pogba. Rashford was a kid who wasn't a regular starter when Ole came in. Old turned him into a starter, would've been madness to make him a captain if he did ask.

Wasnt Pogba one of the captains during the Mourinho period? Until Mourinho had his usual falling out with his player and took away Pogba his captaincy? Wouldnt it be a bit strange if Pogba accepted being one of the captains during Mourinho time but refused it during the Ole time?

Ten Hag may not be it (I still think he might be, but I'm no longer convinced), but anyone pining for Ole is deluded.

Anyway, he sounds bitter, which is understandable if what he says is correct. Still doesn't change the fact that he wasn't good enough.