Film Odeon (and Cineworld) Cinema to ban Universal films from their theatres due to home streaming row.

The entire industry is going through a transformation towards home streaming imo, which makes sense since movie studios have to give up 50% of profits to theater owners, which in the past has meant a film would need to earn double what it cost to break even. Direct to home stream solves this issue from a financial standpoint, and will probably mean studios have a bit more cash to keep or reinvest in new content.
Surely it would be very short-sighted on their part to shift to this model completely. They're making the assumption that everyone has access to quality home cinema equipment. When you think about films like Gravity for example, that was made with the big screen experience in mind. Imagine Infinity War and Endgame just being released on streaming platforms. And I certainly don't think that James Cameron is spending millions and investing 10 years or so of his life just to release 3 movies that people will be able to watch on an iPhone.

Nah, surely their must be a happy medium where both avenues can co-exist. I would be gutted if they started phasing out cinema. I also think people's perceptions of Hollywood stars would probably change over time too, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Surely it would be very short-sighted on their part to shift to this model completely. They're making the assumption that everyone has access to quality home cinema equipment. When you think about films like Gravity for example, that was made with the big screen experience in mind. Imagine Infinity War and Endgame just being released on streaming platforms. And I certainly don't think that James Cameron is spending millions and investing 10 years or so of his life just to release 3 movies that people will be able to watch on an iPhone.

Nah, surely their must be a happy medium where both avenues can co-exist. I would be gutted if they started phasing out cinema. I also think people's perceptions of Hollywood stars would probably change over time too, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Its been a slowly evolving process that's been on-going since the mid 2000s and probably wont be complete until later this decade. Once all bandwidth considerations are taken off the table, it will be very difficult for studios to justify paying twice as much for films because they have to pay theatre owners 50% of their revenues. So at some point in the not too distant future, I can see threaters going the way of drive in threaters.

Its been a slowly evolving process that's been on-going since the mid 2000s and probably wont be complete until later this decade. Once all bandwidth considerations are taken off the table, it will be very difficult for studios to justify paying twice as much for films because they have to pay theatre owners 50% of their revenues. So at some point in the not too distant future, I can see threaters going the way of drive in threaters.

50% is high but it is also to cover operational costs.

Streaming isn't free either. Although to be fair the likes of Netflix/Amazon fighting over each other might mean they'd "pay" to get a movie for X days/weeks exclusively - which will only hurt consumers.

50% is high but it is also to cover operational costs.

Streaming isn't free either. Although to be fair the likes of Netflix/Amazon fighting over each other might mean they'd "pay" to get a movie for X days/weeks exclusively - which will only hurt consumers.

Agreed, which is why at some point it will be more cost effective to cut out the middle man. Each big studio or distribution platform will have its own streaming service or else partner with one of the big ones to get their content out.

Agreed, which is why at some point it will be more cost effective to cut out the middle man. Each big studio or distribution platform will have its own streaming service or else partner with one of the big ones to get their content out.
Well feck that if they think I'm going to pay for Disney+ x 10. It's already bad enough on Prime with BFI Player, MUBI, StarzPlay etc.

It's not a great advertisement for the business if you're avoiding the place unless its empty.
Cinemas will still exist, they'll just be showing nothing but marvel and Disney films. Pretty much like right now

I go shopping during the week as well, indeed I avoid crowded places, unless it’s completely unavoidable, such as sporting venues, concerts etc. Masses of people being annoying and inconsiderate does not reflect on the businesses they attend.
I enjoy going to the cinema and not having to put up with arseholes on their their phones or those that need to have loud conversations during the film. I’d go when it was packed out if the patrons were more considerate, but generally they’re not.

Well feck that if they think I'm going to pay for Disney+ x 10. It's already bad enough on Prime with BFI Player, MUBI, StarzPlay etc.
Agree. Theres going to be a lot of pirating going on.
Same with how they sell that more matches are available due to more options, but football on Sky, BT, Amazon, etc will be too much for a consumer.