Film Odeon (and Cineworld) Cinema to ban Universal films from their theatres due to home streaming row.

Last hurrah for cinema. They're on borrowed time sadly. We're moving away from big cinemas.

I used to watch new movies once a week, almost religiously. Now it's like once a month if there's a really big blockbuster showing. That's pre corona off course. Married life and rising cost of living means less cinema for me.

Universal will be the first of many more that'll follow suit. Netflix going strong. Streaming isnt associated with past it movies anymore, the trend is changing. Nowdays we are starting to see big movies premiered on netflix

Agreed. The advancements in movie technology are geared towards the big screen.
I’m not sure that’s holding true anymore. The 4K stuff on places like Netflix look like I’m peering through a window, and even a simple soundbar can provide quality audio.

You can get a 1080p projector for less than £500 these days, haven't checked recently but 4k won't be too far behind in price now I'd expect. Surround sound should really be standard in every house this day and age too imo, the way TV shows utilise these things these days means the experience is for all TV and not just for movies anymore.

Indeed but for most people I doubt it's practical since you need a: space, b: ideally a blacked out room (especially at lower price point projectors), c: a good surround set up - bigger the screen, bigger the speakers and so on. Plus you have to contend with WAF, cables everywhere and so forth. And potentially neighbours with the noise.

I’m not sure that’s holding true anymore. The 4K stuff on places like Netflix look like I’m peering through a window, and even a simple soundbar can provide quality audio.

What about 3D, HFR etc. I bet Cameron would be really miffed if his 10-year Avatar project was derailed in any way. I saw a programme on TV that showed that you need to be inches away from the TV to notice the true 4K quality. Not sure how true that is. Don't have 4K yet.

Indeed but for most people I doubt it's practical since you need a: space, b: ideally a blacked out room (especially at lower price point projectors), c: a good surround set up - bigger the screen, bigger the speakers and so on. Plus you have to contend with WAF, cables everywhere and so forth. And potentially neighbours with the noise.
Your average person doesn't live in a 4-bed detached with a media room, that's true.

What about 3D, HFR etc. I bet Cameron would be really miffed if his 10-year Avatar project was derailed in any way. I saw a programme on TV that showed that you need to be inches away from the TV to notice the true 4K quality. Not sure how true that is. Don't have 4K yet.

Your average person doesn't live in a 4-bed detached with a media room, that's true.

Unless the 'true' word is the most important in that sentence, I don't think it is true at all.

65" screen at 2m the difference between 1080 and 4K is huge in my opinion and the difference only becomes more stark as the screen size increases from there. Would also say that if you watch physical 4K media, then an even bigger difference is noticeable.

A smartphone with a decent earphone can create a quite good atmosphere.

I know smartphones screen are small, but when you're that close to it it wasn't so bad. And people are moving towards practicality more than ever.

I've had android TV, it's getting cheaper to own one these days

A smartphone with a decent earphone can create a quite good atmosphere.

I know smartphones screen are small, but when you're that close to it it wasn't so bad. And people are moving towards practicality more than ever.

I've had android TV, it's getting cheaper to own one these days

Yeah but this is pretty much why I think Odeon et al are being a bit naive. If person 'a' is happy to watch the premiere of a new blockbuster on their phone, or TV set up, then they probably wouldn't have gone to the cinema for it in the first place... but those that would go to the cinema, person 'b', are unlikely to want to have a half arsed experience. Sure, there will be some loss of revenue, as some customers will overlap, but I just can't see it being loads.

To everyone who is saying that cinema is dead, I doubt it.

Right now films are sold three times;

Cinema -> DVD/Download (Purchased) -> Streaming.

To cut cinemas out reduces a huge source of revenue.

Dunkirk for me was a solid 8.5/10 movie in the cinema and a 6.5/10 movie at home. I think for some movies it absolutely makes a difference.

Yeah but this is pretty much why I think Odeon et al are being a bit naive. If person 'a' is happy to watch the premiere of a new blockbuster on their phone, or TV set up, then they probably wouldn't have gone to the cinema for it in the first place... but those that would go to the cinema, person 'b', are unlikely to want to have a half arsed experience. Sure, there will be some loss of revenue, as some customers will overlap, but I just can't see it being loads.

Problem is not every movie is a blockbuster. Most romcoms and dramas would be fine on smaller screen.

I'd make an exception for big MCU movies, but that's probably about it.

To everyone who is saying that cinema is dead, I doubt it.

Right now films are sold three times;

Cinema -> DVD/Download (Purchased) -> Streaming.

To cut cinemas out reduces a huge source of revenue.

That's because they're out by phase.

If new movies goes at the same time on stream and cinema... i doubt cinema will win.

I want new movies with good quality. If they're available then cinema is just a bonus

It happens with Irishman, streams out in close proximity with theathers, theathers lose out big time with Irishman only available on limited screens

Dunkirk for me was a solid 8.5/10 movie in the cinema and a 6.5/10 movie at home. I think for some movies it absolutely makes a difference.
It makes a difference in retrospect but you do not know that going in, which might be the difference in you paying all that money on popcorn.

That's because they're out by phase.

If new movies goes at the same time on stream and cinema... i doubt cinema will win.

I want new movies with good quality. If they're available then cinema is just a bonus

It happens with Irishman, streams out in close proximity with theathers, theathers lose out big time with Irishman only available on limited screens
Yes that's because they're out of phase. Tell me Sky is they are launched a the same time on streaming and cinema why would that bring more money to producers?

This is an experiment by universal. Heck maybe they just want to renegotiate with the cinemas.

Yes that's because they're out of phase. Tell me Sky is they are launched a the same time on streaming and cinema why would that bring more money to producers?

This is an experiment by universal. Heck maybe they just want to renegotiate with the cinemas.

I'm not saying in the immediate future, but cinema is fighting a losing battle (at the current state, unless there's a jump in technology like VR or something that requires massive investment).

I'm not looking from the producers pov alone. For them is good if they can sell it 3 times. But from Cinema own point of view they're already backpedaling on running cost, not every cinema goers buys overpriced popcorn. Fierce competition from Netflix, add some economic tightening post corona, domino effect of all future movies got postponed, social distancing means no overcrowded cinemas, the outlook aren't very good for cinema imho.

And there's no stopping Netflix from jacking new movies by offering more money to have it streamed on the same time as cinemas. Between Netflix, amazonprime, cinemax, HBOgo, Disney+, the trend is visibly siding with streams. There are many movies that I personally would love to see in the cinema that they don't show because it's on Netflix (Extractions, Netflix originals, and some international movies which might never see the inside of a cinema)

In Indonesia, the admission is dirt cheap, the popcorn can cost more than admission fee. For our chain cinemas XXI and CGV cost varies around 1-2 poundsterling. With popcorns cost around there. But the catch is that they hold the license for movies, so they can make extra from selling to TV stations I think, or some legal DVD and local streaming sites, at least that's how it was back then. They're not cinemas per se, but their actual title is "Movie Importer" And there's only 2 of them for the whole Indonesian market.

Here's a simple test : do you see more movies at cinema today (pre corona off course) or 5 years ago?

I'm not saying in the immediate future, but cinema is fighting a losing battle (at the current state, unless there's a jump in technology like VR or something that requires massive investment).

I'm not looking from the producers pov alone. For them is good if they can sell it 3 times. But from Cinema own point of view they're already backpedaling on running cost, not every cinema goers buys overpriced popcorn. Fierce competition from Netflix, add some economic tightening post corona, domino effect of all future movies got postponed, social distancing means no overcrowded cinemas, the outlook aren't very good for cinema imho.

And there's no stopping Netflix from jacking new movies by offering more money to have it streamed on the same time as cinemas. Between Netflix, amazonprime, cinemax, HBOgo, Disney+, the trend is visibly siding with streams. There are many movies that I personally would love to see in the cinema that they don't show because it's on Netflix (Extractions, Netflix originals, and some international movies which might never see the inside of a cinema)

In Indonesia, the admission is dirt cheap, the popcorn can cost more than admission fee. For our chain cinemas XXI and CGV cost varies around 1-2 poundsterling. With popcorns cost around there. But the catch is that they hold the license for movies, so they can make extra from selling to TV stations I think, or some legal DVD and local streaming sites, at least that's how it was back then. They're not cinemas per se, but their actual title is "Movie Importer" And there's only 2 of them for the whole Indonesian market.

Here's a simple test : do you see more movies at cinema today (pre corona off course) or 5 years ago?
In 2018 the UK hit the highest cinema attendance since 1970.

BTW, Streaming a movie will mean a much much better quality to be pirated. That is defo gonna increase and Universal wont be able to stop all copies of that.

Bunch of really grumpy people in here :lol: I love going to the cinema. Great chance to hang out with your girl/your friends. Sitting and eating some popcorn and some cinema food (for whatever reason the cinema food we have down here is quite good), discussing the movie immediately after and most likely going out somewhere after. It's always a fun trip for me, like to make it a few times per month.

I think it'll change once Cinemas open. AMC/Universal will both need the money. Reading Deadline Fast 9, Jurassic World 3 are both bankable billion dollars each maybe 1.5. Minions isn't far off between 700mil to 1bil range. Cinemas take about a third of the box office. No chance those 3 go to streaming, they'd be losing out on billions in profit. Netflix/Amazon would have to pay 500mil plus to stream for either Jurassic World or Fast 9.

Apparently Sony are thinking to go PVOD like Universal.

Not sure if they'll change their mind now though.

Cinemas will also have the backing of the film academy as a film is only eligible for an academy award of it plays in cinemas... Stupid but that is the rule.

Apparently Sony are thinking to go PVOD like Universal.

Not sure if they'll change their mind now though.

Cinemas will also have the backing of the film academy as a film is only eligible for an academy award of it plays in cinemas... Stupid but that is the rule.

Yes, but the Academy Awards re being flexible this year, what's to say they won't do the same in the future with regard to streaming releases?

In 2018 the UK hit the highest cinema attendance since 1970.

That’s good, me and the wife went to the cinema only a handful of times due to having a new born and on 2 occasions it was just us watching the movie and I wondered how they’re surviving.

Only time I saw it super busy was when a Tamil movie was being shown

Cinema is here to stay. I can't see the studios and actors dispensing with the red carpet movie premieres altogether. They will just have to adapt during the COVID crisis just like every other sector. I, for one will be making full use of my Unlimited card again once normality resumes.

“But the flip side is the majority of movies, whether we like it or not, are being consumed at home and it’s not realistic to assume that we’re not gonna change, that this part of the business is not gonna change like all parts of the business are gonna change. As you mentioned, we’re in a current unprecedented environment. We had a number of films, including ‘Trolls World Tour,’ that were ready to go, that we had worked very hard on and invested a lot of money in. And we really had a choice: do we delay those movies to a time when we think theaters are gonna be back open again, we did that with ‘Fast’ and ‘Minions'; do we sell them or movie them to streaming, some of our other competitors have done that; or do we try something new to preserve the premium nature of movies, and that’s how we came up with the PVOD offering.”

pretty blunt and to the point reply

The GF and I can download movies ftom The Bay but choose to head to the cinema just to get out.
Plus I'd rather see a F and F movie on the big screen rather than on tv anyway.

I suppose dying is an exaggeration, I dont think its going to be the default choice for release in the future. People go for the big visual spectacle. Drama, comedy, horror, even thrillers have been pushed aside and just not getting made much for cinema release anymore. Some have moved to new platforms and are still thriving but I'd struggle to name more than 2 or 3 thrillers released in the last 7 or 8 years for instance. Or if i did they'd be closer to horror or sci fi.
Odeon are well placed to continue in that scenario for the big visual spectacles (unless they shoot themselves in the foot again and boycott some more content creators).
They kind of need to let go of their various advantages elsewhere because their isn't an audience for anything other than action movies and kids films basically. There needs to be a rethink how they're selling and releasing other stuff.

Yes, but the Academy Awards re being flexible this year, what's to say they won't do the same in the future with regard to streaming releases?
They're being flexible this year because they have no other option. Its choices are either that or give Bad Boys For Life the best Best Film Oscar :lol:

The fact that Netflix and Amazon Studios have to open theatres in the US just to show a film and get it into contention for an Oscar shows that more likely than not, the Academy will favour the cinema in this argument.

The GF and I can download movies ftom The Bay but choose to head to the cinema just to get out.
Plus I'd rather see a F and F movie on the big screen rather than on tv anyway.

Yes, but if you see 10 movies in a month, how many of them are in cinemas? You might prefer cinema, we all do. But at the end most of our "movies consumed" are from somewhere else.

I'd be quite sad if cinemas started to disappear. Yes, if you go during a summer blockbuster period, you'll be surrounded by noisy, phone using blowhards, but that is a flaw of society and not cinemas. Some films, Interstellar, Dunkirk, Lord of the Rings, Avengers, etc, some things just need that cinema experience to really enjoy and get the best from.

Plus, I've had a handjob on the couch watching a film, and a handjob in a packed cinema watching a film, and I know what one I think about years later. :lol:

I'd be quite sad if cinemas started to disappear. Yes, if you go during a summer blockbuster period, you'll be surrounded by noisy, phone using blowhards, but that is a flaw of society and not cinemas. Some films, Interstellar, Dunkirk, Lord of the Rings, Avengers, etc, some things just need that cinema experience to really enjoy and get the best from.

Plus, I've had a handjob on the couch watching a film, and a handjob in a packed cinema watching a film, and I know what one I think about years later. :lol:
Boy, if we turned this into a cinema exploits thread, things could drastically take a a darker turn. :lol:

Cinemas are overrated now anyway, overpriced shit food and drinks. Usually in a pretty poor state overall. Nobody can hold their piss in for 2 hours so you get heads bobbing all over the place.

I prefer watching at home these days, far cheaper. Plus feck buying movies, I just wait till they come out on sky anyway

My local is AU$12, I go during the week, often less than 10 people in there, it’s clean and has some great employees. I used to go at least once or twice a month even without the must see stuff happening, more often when it is. Weekends are a pain as too many people who go to the cinema to have conversations with their friends, so I simply avoid those times.

Happy for you being a miserable barstool sat at home. But happier there are people out there who enjoy going out to places that provide employment for the local community. I can’t wait for the cinema to open again.

My local is AU$12, I go during the week, often less than 10 people in there, it’s clean and has some great employees. I used to go at least once or twice a month even without the must see stuff happening, more often when it is. Weekends are a pain as too many people who go to the cinema to have conversations with their friends, so I simply avoid those times.

Happy for you being a miserable barstool sat at home. But happier there are people out there who enjoy going out to places that provide employment for the local community. I can’t wait for the cinema to open again.
Agreed. Because I work from home a lot, I could go during the day which is great. I refuse to go in the evenings and on the weekend unless the film is coming towards the end of it's run. I always book online beforehand so can choose my seats at the back. Most cinemas let you bring your nibbles in now anyway though I am partial to the nachos combo so don't understand why people gripe about the food prices. I'm on first name terms with some of staff now as well so it's great not having to hang around. Like you, I can't wait to go back. I pay £12 per month for my Unlimited card which also gets me 10% off any food on the rare occasions that I treat myself. Nobody can tell me that is not worth every penny to watch as many films as I can manage.

It's not a great advertisement for the business if you're avoiding the place unless its empty.
Cinemas will still exist, they'll just be showing nothing but marvel and Disney films. Pretty much like right now

People actually boast about being ripped off for terrible "food" as if everyone else is in the wrong?

I mean I like the cinema experience, but my only local one is a Vue and they can feck right off with the prices and service. It's not about affording it, it's about them paying feck all for staff but charging insane prices for everything else. Plus now they have those drink machines they never clean and barely refill, I'm fine taking in my own stuff and never spending a single penny over the ticket price. The rip off chains can do one.

I do enjoy going to the cinema, but I must admit we only tend to go when we've got free vouchers, or BOGOF or something through the phone network.

I like the Everyman experience. Definitely worth it.

I don't think this stance from the parent companies of Odeon and Cineworld is sustainable.

I think I go more due to the unlimited card. The cinema in Enfield has had some great upgrades, the staff are always great, and its always clean. I like going (and its got free parking which some others dont have, like Wembley, Illford)

I normally dont have issues with people on major release days / weekends. It can be packed, but people generally respect others and they have staff there to ensure people dont play on phones etc.
The issues can be for 'smaller' movies which arent manned, and you have the odd dickhead coming in and talking on their phone or somebody next to them. And with no staff there, you either have to leave to tell staff (and miss the movie) or try drown them out.

Odeon are not going to show any films released by Universal Studios for the foreseeable future because of a streaming row after the success of the Trolls 3 release. Universal were happy with the figures when they released Trolls on streaming platforms so plan to do the same with simultaneous streaming/cinema screenings for future films.

Odeon aren't happy to put it mildly. Hope this isn't the end of the cinema experience. That's a step too far for this fecking post-COVID world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52468881

The entire industry is going through a transformation towards home streaming imo, which makes sense since movie studios have to give up 50% of profits to theater owners, which in the past has meant a film would need to earn double what it cost to break even. Direct to home stream solves this issue from a financial standpoint, and will probably mean studios have a bit more cash to keep or reinvest in new content.